PDA

View Full Version : Pacific 12 QBs Better?

SoonerofAlabama
5/7/2011, 08:59 PM
I found an article on espn.com stating that Pac-12 QBs are better than Big XII QBs. How do you all feel about this? Does anyone agree with this? I would say that the Pac-12 has three, maybe four, good quarterbacks. (Luck, Thomas, Foles, and possibly Katz) While the Big XII has five. (Jones, Griffin III, Weeden, Potts, and Tannehill). Each of our quarterbacks have more success as well, in my opinion, but what is yours on this subject?

SoonerofAlabama
5/7/2011, 09:39 PM
Also, several quarterbacks from the Big XII threw for more yards than the Pac-12's best QB Andrew Luck.

Whet
5/7/2011, 09:45 PM
From @DavidLeake: Which league has better quarterbacks, the Pac-12 or Big 12?

Going into this season, both conferences are loaded at quarterback, with each having a legit superstar at the top in the Stanford Cardinal's Andrew Luck and the Oklahoma Sooners' Landry Jones. As I wrote a few days ago, Luck is the best player in college football, so he's a great starting point for the Pac-12. Jones is perhaps a top-10 draft pick himself. After that, both conferences are pretty deep, and each offers its own dual-threat standouts (the Baylor Bears' Robert Griffin versus the Oregon Ducks' Darron Thomas, for example).

Overall, I give the edge to the Pac-12. It has the best quarterback in college football and has a deeper group of passers, although I expect the Oklahoma State Cowboys' Brandon Weeden and the Texas A&M Aggies' Ryan Tannehill to put up gaudy numbers for top-15 teams this fall.

The Pac-12's depth of strong quarterbacks is eye-catching: Luck, Thomas, Nick Foles of the Arizona Wildcats, Matt Barkley of the USC Trojans and the most underrated quarterback on the West Coast, the Washington State Cougars' Jeff Tuel. Then, there's the Utah Utes' Jordan Wynn and the Oregon State Beavers' Ryan Katz, who has one of the strongest arms in the country.

To read the rest of Bruce Feldman's mailbag, become an ESPN Insider today.

I don't know what the rest of the article has in it.

SoonerofAlabama
5/7/2011, 09:50 PM
I know all of the experts say that Barkley is a top pick in the draft next year and that he is also one of the best in the Pac-12, but I just don't see it. Maybe it is just becuase I have my Sooner goggles on, but I don't see what the hype is about.

85sooners
5/7/2011, 10:47 PM
It's just talk

SoonerofAlabama
5/7/2011, 11:27 PM
I do think Foles is a good quarterback that doesn't get loads of credit, though. Luck is good, but not good enough to be praised as the next John Elway, Joe Montana, etc. Darron Thomas is a good talent; I would like to see his progression from last year to this year, although he probably won't be much different as far as offensive look because the Ducks barely lost anyone. And finally Katz, I see that he has a good arm and all, but his decision-making is not amazing and he doesn't seem athletic enough at the moment to be a great quarterback.

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 12:23 AM
I don't know what the rest of the article has in it.

I usually stop reading after my name :D

But seriously, i agreed with the response he had to my question. We both agree. Pac 12 all the way.

Whet
5/8/2011, 09:13 AM
That's why I bolded yer name. ;)

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 10:14 AM
That's why I bolded yer name. ;)

I know :)

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/8/2011, 10:16 AM
Hard to disagree with him

The Pac12 is deeper where the big 12 is top heavy

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 10:21 AM
Hard to disagree with him

The Pac12 is deeper where the big 12 is top heavy

Agree completely.

Flagstaffsooner
5/8/2011, 10:27 AM
And the Pac12 has no defense.

goingoneight
5/8/2011, 10:27 PM
Like the BIG 12 has any defenses to write home about...

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 10:50 PM
Like the BIG 12 has any defenses to write home about...

Defense doesn't always win championships though. Wasn't Te*as our top defense last year.

BoulderSooner79
5/8/2011, 11:49 PM
Luck is the real deal and comparing his passing yardage to a big12 QB is meaningless. Stanford was power running team and then didn't play any hurry-up. The most impressive thing about Luck beyond the ball skills is he very rarely gets pressured into a mistake. As far as overall league comparison - hard to say as they play a different style of ball. I just hope LJ has the type of season where he is the undisputed best in the big12.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/9/2011, 02:26 AM
Defense doesn't always win championships though. Wasn't Te*as our top defense last year.

If they did it was because teams were ahead by so much in the second half that they cruise control to victory ;)

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2011, 08:27 AM
Add Tyler Hansen and Jordan Wynn, and Pac-12 definitely has the better QB's! HA;)

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 08:50 AM
but, which league has the best "field goal holders" ???

rekamrettuB
5/9/2011, 09:54 AM
They have more teams. No fair.

sooner518
5/9/2011, 10:41 AM
Watching Barkley play reminds me of Jimmy claussen. They say he's big and has a strong arm but I just don't really see it. It looks like he has to put 100% into every throw. Not effortless like Sam or luck when they throw it.

PalmBeachSooner
5/9/2011, 02:26 PM
I guess it depends on what you are basing it on. If all of the QBs from both conferences were in the draft next year I am positive the PAC-10 would have more QB's drafted.

If you base it on on-field performance I would probably take the Big 12's QBs. I wouldn't trade Landry or Weeden for any of the Pac-10's QBs. However, once you get past the top 4 or 5 QB's in each conference the Pac-10 might be better.