PDA

View Full Version : Baptismal rites

Chuck Bao
5/7/2011, 08:13 PM
It seems that a lot of the Christian faith is divided by baby/adult and sprinkling/immersion issues.

What do you think about it? What were your experiences?

I had a raging hard on when I was dunked in the baptismal at church. I just couldn’t help it for 1) the baptismal pool had heated water, 2) after seeing Mr. Preacher guy nekkid and 3) I was a teenager. Do you think it took? Do I need to do it again without the boner?

I like those baptisms in the ocean. If I ever do it again, I am going to go for that.

Mongo
5/7/2011, 08:17 PM
this thread will go as smooth as a fired tranny thread

Adrian
5/7/2011, 08:21 PM
I knew Mongo would be the first poster to reply...

Mongo
5/7/2011, 08:23 PM
shut it woman

Adrian
5/7/2011, 08:24 PM
I hope you get dunked in your baptismal service-dunked really good...

Mongo
5/7/2011, 08:28 PM
I AM THE CANCER!!!11!

Adrian
5/7/2011, 08:29 PM
You're gonna need a river full of holy water, Mongo...

royalfan5
5/7/2011, 08:29 PM
I was baptized immediately after I was born due to health concerns. I have no memories of it.

GDC
5/7/2011, 09:34 PM
I was dunked backwards in a lake as a little kid, scared the **** out of me and turned me against organized religion.

Chuck Bao
5/7/2011, 10:07 PM
If you go to one of them new fangled cowboy churches, you could get dunked in a horse trough out in the lot.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy301/ghuebsch62/61389_429476277029_687787029_5398798_398671_n.jpg

lexsooner
5/7/2011, 10:29 PM
It seems that a lot of the Christian faith is divided by baby/adult and sprinkling/emersion issues.

What do you think about it? What were your experiences?

I had a raging hard on when I was dunked in the baptismal at church. I just couldn’t help it for 1) the baptismal pool had heated water, 2) after seeing Mr. Preacher guy nekkid and 3) I was a teenager. Do you think it took? Do I need to do it again without the boner?

I like those baptisms in the ocean. If I ever do it again, I am going to go for that.

Chuck, my understanding is, and correct me if I am wrong, that the evangelical churches mandate immersion because they believe in doing it the Biblical way. The evangelicals will also not baptize babies or little kids since they believe they are not old enough to understand faith and repentence. The mainline Protestant churches and Catholic church will sprinkle, pour, or immerse. These churches will also baptize babies and little kids. My church, the United Methodist Church, falls in this category.

Even though I am fourth generation Methodist, I was actually baptized in an independent Christian Church by immersion. It was private, although now I kind of wish I had done a public baptism. I remember it was just me and the minister and it was on a work day before I went in to work. I recall it was a heated pool and it reminded me of a big hot tub. When I get re-baptized, I want to do it in public. These indy Christian churches, a megachurch actually, are evangelical by nature and part of the Restoration Movement, so the old fashioned immersion method was not surprising. I now belong to a UMC church. When they baptize babies, they sprinkle. We sometimes see the proud family once at the baptism and then never again, unfortunately.

Blue
5/7/2011, 10:48 PM
Take it to the "Attention Whore" forum.

Chuck Bao
5/7/2011, 10:51 PM
Chuck, my understanding is, and correct me if I am wrong, that the evangelical churches mandate immersion because they believe in doing it the Biblical way. The evangelicals will also not baptize babies or little kids since they believe they are not old enough to understand faith and repentence. The mainline Protestant churches and Catholic church will sprinkle, pour, or immerse. These churches will also baptize babies and little kids. My church, the United Methodist Church, falls in this category.

Even though I am fourth generation Methodist, I was actually baptized in an independent Christian Church by immersion. It was private, although now I kind of wish I had done a public baptism. I remember it was just me and the minister and it was on a work day before I went in to work. I recall it was a heated pool and it reminded me of a big hot tub. When I get re-baptized, I want to do it in public. These indy Christian churches, a megachurch actually, are evangelical by nature and part of the Restoration Movement, so the old fashioned immersion method was not surprising. I now belong to a UMC church. When they baptize babies, they sprinkle. We sometimes see the proud family once at the baptism and then never again, unfortunately.

I think that you are right. The indy megachurches may be catching on in the suburbs. Out in the country, the cowboy churches, the near opposite of the megachurches, are growing like wildfire. They hold their church services in a barn and you can come to the service after feeding your cows and it don't matter. The money you tithe goes all to the good since the preacher has another job or is a rancher like everyone else. But, there is definitely an evangelical theology preached, just like the indy megachurches.

MsProudSooner2
5/8/2011, 11:27 AM
I remember talking to my parents about this when I was a kid. In my church (Presbyterian) infant baptism is a combination of baptizing the baby and a ceremony where the parents promise to bring the baby up in the church.

tator
5/8/2011, 11:34 AM
If you get baptized whilst having a boner, you're going straight to hell. No questions asked. I think that's in the book of Acts somewhere.

Chuck Bao
5/8/2011, 02:10 PM
If you get baptized whilst having a boner, you're going straight to hell. No questions asked. I think that's in the book of Acts somewhere.

Well then, I guess that there is a really, really big downside to baptizing teenagers.

StoopTroup
5/8/2011, 02:18 PM
I thought this was about whether or not your Baptism was valid since you had a hard-on when you did it and you were sexually attracted to the Preacher?

My first thought is that no matter what you were experiencing at the moment....you did remember that you were Baptized.

I think you answered your own question Chuck. The only other people that might even have an opinion about this Chuck would be the Preacher who did it and God.

swardboy
5/8/2011, 05:42 PM
"baptidzo" = greek for complete immersion. The only word used in the new testament koine greek manuscripts. Pouring was introduced by the catholic church 1400 years later, it is therefore unbiblical in nature. "Baptize" is a transliteration, not a translation, introduced into the english language from the greek because the King James translators chickened out and were afraid to introduce immersion instead of the church of England's method of sprinkling.