PDA

View Full Version : Question on the jumbo set.

soonersalesman
5/7/2011, 11:35 AM
Don't post much but lurk frequently. I'm 59 and been following Sooner football since about 1967 so have seen a few games in my day.

I'm sure there are a few football gurus on here and since it's the off season maybe we don't get enough information.

Anyway just thinking how much trouble we have had on goal line football. Talking about OU on the offensive side. Just remembering the game against Florida slays me. Our inability to just play power football when we're like
1st and goal at the 5 yard line.

I'm sure the coaches should be smarter than me (us). Tell me what is wrong using a line-up near the goal line that basically uses our biggest strongest people?

Say Millard at tailback or HB in a pro-set with Musil at the FB position. Run a double tight end for maximum blocking. Say Hannah on one side and Ratteree or Haywood at the other. We keep in our best receiver for potential passing in the red zone. Hannah would give us a slightly bigger body on the line but serviceable receiver capabilities.

I could even see Lane Johnson at one of the tight end spots which would basically give us two offensive tackles on one side.

It would obviously give us a strong inside game. Any chance Millard could do a reasonable impression of Toby Gerhart? I could see reasonable passing options off of a play action fake from the formation.

Not say use it in the middle of the field but when on the goal line or possibly short third down situations.

Sometimes though I'd like to see us say we're running this thing in and try and stop us.....but you still gotta account for possible passing.

I'm sure there are flaws in this. I just remember days when Ohio State would
run stuff like this all day long. I guess Wisconsin does a bit now.

Anyway what's wrong with something like this.

oudavid1
5/7/2011, 11:46 AM
I saw we go, Lane Johnson at QB(Former QB) Trey Millard and Bronsin Irwin at Fullbacks in a shotgun two-back set. And then all the big boys. Call it the tebow package.

SoonerofAlabama
5/7/2011, 12:18 PM
Millard did have three rushing TDs last season so they have tried him out carrying the ball. He also had one receiving TD.

Sooner_Tuf
5/7/2011, 12:32 PM
The problem hasn't been the RBs. The problem has been the O line. The Oline has to be able to get some push and open some sort of a hole. They haven't been able to get to the second level and seal off the LBs. A lot of times they have let defensive players through. The RB hasn't had a chance to even get up any speed. He hasn't had a chance.

If you can't run between the tackles on the open field you sure as heck aren't going to be able to on the goal line when the whole defense is squeezed into a very small area.

OUMallen
5/7/2011, 01:05 PM
I saw we go, Lane Johnson at QB(Former QB) Trey Millard and Bronsin Irwin at Fullbacks in a shotgun two-back set. And then all the big boys. Call it the tebow package.

Good effin god, I will give back my two degrees from OU if we EVER implement ANYTHING named after Tebow.

Joe
5/7/2011, 01:52 PM
We had some offensive linemen who currently start in the NFL completely whiff on their blocks in that Florida game. That's what got us on the goal line.

oudavid1
5/7/2011, 03:57 PM
Good effin god, I will give back my two degrees from OU if we EVER implement ANYTHING named after Tebow.

HAHAHAHAHA now that was funny.

And i was kidding. :D