PDA

View Full Version : PAUL THOMPSON..........WHERE IS HE NOW?

fossil
5/7/2011, 10:33 AM
Someone mentioned Paul Thompson in another thread. To me, he represented the ultimate team player. Got me to wondering where he is now and what he's doing.

I will be forever grateful for what Paul did for the Sooner TEAM. He went about his business quietly, worked hard to be the best he could, and stepped into the gap to take the Sooners to the BIG VII championship. So far as I know, he never uttered a word of complaint during all the switching around he went through.

He will always be one of the great former Sooner players in my mind. Anyone out there know wassup with Mr. Thompson? I do hope life has been good for him.

Anyone? Thanks.

PSK2080
5/7/2011, 10:36 AM
He is on the radio in Tulsa each week...on the Sports Animal...he is also spokesman for a medical center too...

olevetonahill
5/7/2011, 10:38 AM
Someone mentioned Paul Thompson in another thread. To me, he represented the ultimate team player. Got me to wondering where he is now and what he's doing.

I will be forever grateful for what Paul did for the Sooner TEAM. He went about his business quietly, worked hard to be the best he could, and stepped into the gap to take the Sooners to the BIG VII championship. So far as I know, he never uttered a word of complaint during all the switching around he went through.

He will always be one of the great former Sooner players in my mind. Anyone out there know wassup with Mr. Thompson? I do hope life has been good for him.

Anyone? Thanks.

Whats the Big VII ? :P

SoonerofAlabama
5/7/2011, 10:51 AM
He works for Amway Global now.

stoopified
5/7/2011, 11:02 AM
Whats the Big VII ? :PWhen I went to school that was 7.

olevetonahill
5/7/2011, 11:07 AM
When I went to school that was 7.

hence the :P , :D

oudavid1
5/7/2011, 11:45 AM

Yep. He offered me a job.

Endorsing and Marketing.

No joke. I got his number.

texaspokieokie
5/7/2011, 12:10 PM
Yep. He offered me a job.

Endorsing and Marketing.

No joke. I got his number.

is he your "source" ????

85sooners
5/7/2011, 12:10 PM
Paul is a great sooner

msteudem
5/7/2011, 12:22 PM
I actually played some pick up ball with Paul several months ago. He wasn't too bad of a basketball player. I know he wasn't too impressed with me. He had picked me up on his team and for the life of me I couldn't hit a shot to save my life. When he picked me up on his team he shook my hand and was like, "Hi my name is Paul." I was setting there thinking yep no introduction needed. The funny thing is half the people on the court didn't have a clue who he was. Hard to recognize him without the #12 Sooner Jersey on :;)

Scott D
5/7/2011, 12:33 PM
I have it on good authority that he's sitting on his couch right now watching television.

Osama Bin Laden
5/7/2011, 12:50 PM
He's still wandering through the night...
Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley

EatLeadCommie
5/7/2011, 03:50 PM

Ugh. Although, actually, Amway is probably a good gig for any former OU players. They can create a network pretty fast.

I had a boss that sold Amway stuff with his wife about 15 years ago. He dragged me to an Amway meeting. It was bizarre to say the least. I felt like I was at some kind of strange hybrid AA and Christian Coalition meeting.

Perhaps somebody here can tell me how Amway isn't banned in several states? Have they done something to get around pyramid scheme prohibitions?

By the way, I don't begrudge anybody who makes a living selling Amway. If you can pull it off, more power to you. It's just not my kind of gig, but sales never have been.

oudavid1
5/7/2011, 03:56 PM
is he your "source" ????

No, my sources have one thing in common. They all have something to lose. If Paul was it then i would just say that.

colinreturn
5/7/2011, 04:07 PM
No, my sources have one thing in common. They all have something to lose. If Paul was it then i would just say that.

this might be my least favorite sf.com post of all time.

B1rd
5/7/2011, 06:34 PM
Paul announced this week on the Morning Animal in Tulsa that he is engaged now.

Amway is not a pyramid, in fact it is the company the feds use to determine if a company is a pyramid.

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 12:17 AM
this might be my least favorite sf.com post of all time.

What :(
Why?

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/8/2011, 04:02 AM
I am just wondering how many threads David can turn into something about himself. David is a master thread jacker.

olevetonahill
5/8/2011, 04:17 AM
I am just wondering how many threads David can turn into something about himself. David is a master thread jacker.

Naw Dave is a good kid, The 3 to 5 of the OUI dudes on the other hand :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/8/2011, 04:25 AM
Oh I like David too, but he has replaced Sic'Em as the over the top attacks against guy. I like most of the OUI guys, some of them seem like they are trying way to hard to to be clever though

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 10:20 AM
Oh I like David too, but he has replaced Sic'Em as the over the top attacks against guy. I like most of the OUI guys, some of them seem like they are trying way to hard to to be clever though

Like The :)
He is my new favorite.

SunnySooner
5/8/2011, 11:06 AM
There are a lot of Sooner greats, but there will only ever be one Ebony Ninja Assassin. I think that's my favorite nickname as well. Greatness.

Romulus
5/8/2011, 11:10 AM
Naw Dave is a good kid, The 3 to 5 of the OUI dudes on the other hand :rolleyes:

I'd put my Sooner knowledge and info up against almost anyone

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 12:31 PM
I'd put my Sooner knowledge and info up against almost anyone

Im good with everything since 2000....since thats all i can remember. (THANK GOD)

King Crimson
5/8/2011, 04:04 PM
ENA.

minus that play i have in my mind where Rufus Alexander blows up the statue of liberty Boise play and we win the Fiesta Bowl, hard to beat Paul as a great Sooner.

talk about smoke and mirrors and Allen Patrick to win the Big XII.

oumartin
5/8/2011, 04:15 PM
David is quite possibly Sooner royalty.

agoo758
5/8/2011, 09:11 PM
David is quite possibly Sooner royalty.

:rolleyes:

goingoneight
5/8/2011, 09:39 PM
these words are immortal to me...

"Coach, I'm your guy."

What Paul did in 2006 was a HUGE part of getting OU back after we fell HARD in 2005. The Bomar thing could have been the beginning of the end for the great Stoops run of the 2000s. He played a big part in the development of guys like Malcolm Kelly, Jermaine Gresham, Sam Bradford and Allen Patrick. If he went out there and sucked or didn't lead those young guys among many others with class, who knows how bad things could have been.

Also, never forget these words...

"C'mon guys... this is for a ring."

he said that just before 3rd and long, right before leading a 99-yard, championship-sealing touchdown drive.

SoonerBread
5/9/2011, 10:34 PM

That's all there is? :confused:

Sooner_Tuf
5/10/2011, 12:11 AM
Im good with everything since 2000....since thats all i can remember. (THANK GOD)

You're thanking god you don't remember Six National Championships, Bud, or Barry? OK

oudavid1
5/10/2011, 02:03 AM
You're thanking god you don't remember Six National Championships, Bud, or Barry? OK

considering i wasnt alive, ya. Hell, my grandad played for Bud.

LakeRat
5/10/2011, 11:25 AM
He was on the sports animal this morning talking about the 4th and 1 against A&M.

badger
5/10/2011, 11:43 AM
He was on the sports animal this morning talking about the 4th and 1 against A&M.

ENA: Hut... hut...
12th man: Hi, I'm the only guy in the backfield! The other 11 are stacked at the line of scrimmage.
ENA: Wtf... ok... GO!

(we get a first down anyway, with a penalty flag)

Refs: Too many players on the field, five yard penalty, first down Oklahoma
Aggies: Noooooooooooo, the 12th man lost the game NOOOOOOOOOOOO

:D long live ena. he is fun to listen to.

soonerboomer93
5/10/2011, 12:48 PM

sic'em version of sad and pathetic was atleast amusing (even to himself)

PalmBeachSooner
5/10/2011, 02:49 PM
Ugh. Although, actually, Amway is probably a good gig for any former OU players. They can create a network pretty fast.

I had a boss that sold Amway stuff with his wife about 15 years ago. He dragged me to an Amway meeting. It was bizarre to say the least. I felt like I was at some kind of strange hybrid AA and Christian Coalition meeting.

Perhaps somebody here can tell me how Amway isn't banned in several states? Have they done something to get around pyramid scheme prohibitions?

By the way, I don't begrudge anybody who makes a living selling Amway. If you can pull it off, more power to you. It's just not my kind of gig, but sales never have been.

What's illiegal about it? They sale physical products. It's no different than Mary Kay, Tupperware, Arbonne and fat women who host edible under-britches parties.

EatLeadCommie
5/10/2011, 02:59 PM
What's illiegal about it? They sale physical products. It's no different than Mary Kay, Tupperware, Arbonne and fat women who host edible under-britches parties.

Well it's not, apparently. But it's not devoid of controversy in the past either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway#Pyramid_scheme_accusations

SoonerNomad
5/11/2011, 11:26 AM
these words are immortal to me...

"Coach, I'm your guy."

What Paul did in 2006 was a HUGE part of getting OU back after we fell HARD in 2005. The Bomar thing could have been the beginning of the end for the great Stoops run of the 2000s. He played a big part in the development of guys like Malcolm Kelly, Jermaine Gresham, Sam Bradford and Allen Patrick. If he went out there and sucked or didn't lead those young guys among many others with class, who knows how bad things could have been.

Also, never forget these words...

"C'mon guys... this is for a ring."

he said that just before 3rd and long, right before leading a 99-yard, championship-sealing touchdown drive.

This is a great post. I would add that I think Paul Thompson embodies what I like about college football. As OU fans we have been lucky enough to have seen our share of superstar players that were NFL bound but the vast majority of college football players are not superstars and are not bound for millions and adoration at the next level.

The vast majority of college football players, even at the big schools, are student athletes, using a talent they have to get a college education and to continue playing a game they love at a high level. Paul Thompson was a teammate, a student, a leader, a college athlete.

Do you remember the class his parents exuded about his position changing situation? Do you remember the class he exhibited? You want me to play receiver, sign me up. You need me to QB because your superstar likes his money for nothing and his chicks for free, sign me up.

Paul Thompson was not a special player, but he is a special person. He will be successful in his life because of the attitude he brought to sports and to life.

stoopified
5/11/2011, 05:43 PM
hence the :P , :DSorry,I forgot my :D

Sooner70
5/14/2011, 10:54 AM
SoonerNomad & others. Couldn't agree more. Paul Thompson was a class act from day one. The ultimate Sooner. I think he did tryouts in the pros after his collegiate career. I do believe he was a good athlete. What's even better is that although he lived & grew up in the Longhorn's backyard, he chose OU. Good man.

picasso
5/14/2011, 11:14 AM
He is on the radio in Tulsa each week...on the Sports Animal...he is also spokesman for a medical center too...

Yep here every Tuesday morning at 9am:

http://sportsanimaltulsa.com/site/

GKeeper316
5/14/2011, 05:42 PM

multi level marketing is allowed if it's product sales based.

kelloggOUballa
5/15/2011, 11:51 PM
Yep, I'm in business with PT. Amway is the best thing that ever happened to me career-wise.

kelloggOUballa
5/15/2011, 11:54 PM
BTW, don't get it twisted. PT doesn't work for Amway, Amway works for him. He works for himself. Just like restaurants don't work for Cisco.