PDA

View Full Version : I think OU did Sammy Henson dirty

usmc-sooner
5/6/2011, 07:01 PM
He was told he was the coach in waiting. I've heard this from more than just Sammy, another coach who's kid plays basketball with my kid told me over a year ago.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/6/2011, 07:13 PM
He should get a big pay raise to make up for it.

usmc-sooner
5/6/2011, 07:18 PM
he was let go.

Mongo
5/6/2011, 07:20 PM
so OU owes him some sapphires?

usmc-sooner
5/6/2011, 07:28 PM
I think they made a big mistake, maybe I'm wrong.

Can I do you dirty sometime?

diegosooner
5/6/2011, 07:38 PM
he was let go.

I didn't know that. I'm very sorry to hear that, and I think it's a mistake.

SoonerStormchaser
5/6/2011, 07:55 PM
Who is Sammy Henson?

OUHOMER
5/6/2011, 08:14 PM
wrasslin coach

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/6/2011, 08:50 PM
I believe some VERY heavyweights from the OU wrestling community had been pushing for a long time to have the change in coaching, and Sammy wasn't among those on their short list. This is just a guess, and I certainly am not among those influential in the decision.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/6/2011, 09:05 PM
http://cuindependent.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/hanson_mmmbop.jpg

Romulus
5/6/2011, 09:12 PM
Joe C should have made him an offer he couldn't refuse

FirstAndGoalOU
5/6/2011, 10:22 PM
I would be privileged for this young man to help coach my son. I support Sammy.
Some are not exposed to this sport, I lived it, day and night. We are a very small community,
But if you or your son live it, lived it or just got thru it..... You will also understand what we go thru, And endure just to be able to TAKE THE MAT. It's you and another man, Hands on, Skill and strength total... battle,

The Greatest sport ever derived, Man Vs. Man. You are on a team,
But you.. Have to answer to your own win or defeat!
There is no hiding in Right field, You strap it on, you look across the mat, see your opponent, size him up... start your strategy at this point, This is motive for skill training and the search for a Coach as SAMMY HENSON. Good stuff to teach our young men,
s0ufUZxsrGQ&NR

link..http://www.sammiehenson.com/

stoopified
5/7/2011, 10:31 AM
Wrassli?Do you mean Greco-Roman sweaty crotch grabbin?

GDC
5/8/2011, 10:15 AM
he was let go.

Soonersports.com has him as the head assistant coach.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-wrestl/archive/coaching_staff.html

Romulus
5/8/2011, 10:29 AM
He wasn't let go. He was bypassed for HC and chose to leave. He was asked to stay as an asst.

usmc-sooner
5/8/2011, 10:58 AM
no he wasn't. Cody did not retain him. He was told he was the Head Coach in waiting.

Romulus
5/8/2011, 11:28 AM
I was told a different story. If that's the case it's weak on Cody's part.

jkjsooner
5/8/2011, 11:57 AM
The existence of weight classes is a major flaw for wrestling and boxing. Anyone who disagrees should push for various classes of basketball with height restrictions and football with weight restrictions. The fact is it doesn't exist because we expect everyone to compete against everyone else. Why do we have a different standard for boxing and wrestling?

Middleweight boxing might as well be women's basketball. Both are good sports with talented athletes but both exist to give competitors who can't compete at the top level an opportunity to play.

Oh, and teamwork is an essential part of sports. Any sport that removes teamwork as an aspect is flawed.

That being said, I do appreciate the more technical nature of the lower weight classes. Sugar Ray Leonard could box the hell out of any heavyweight (but of course would get his butt kicked by any of them). But you could argue the same with basketball. You have a six foot and under NBA and you'll see a ton of damn good technical basketball players. The point is that is not what we want. We don't want the person who can dribble the best or shoot the best. We want the guy who is the best player and if you have to be 6'6" to be the best shooting guard then so be it.

5/8/2011, 12:42 PM
I was told a different story. If that's the case it's weak on Cody's part.Maybe Cody wants his own choice as assistants. As HC, he should have that ability. There was talk of having Andre Metzger as assistant, too, but I haven't seen that happen yet.

GDC
5/8/2011, 01:23 PM
The existence of weight classes is a major flaw for wrestling and boxing. Anyone who disagrees should push for various classes of basketball with height restrictions and football with weight restrictions. The fact is it doesn't exist because we expect everyone to compete against everyone else. Why do we have a different standard for boxing and wrestling?

Middleweight boxing might as well be women's basketball. Both are good sports with talented athletes but both exist to give competitors who can't compete at the top level an opportunity to play.

Oh, and teamwork is an essential part of sports. Any sport that removes teamwork as an aspect is flawed.

Agree somewhat with the first point, especially with young and still growing athletes.

I vehemently disagree with the second point, which is simply ludicrous. The purist form of sport are the most basic individual competitions, such as wrestling, boxing, running, swimming, and throwing.

usmc-sooner
5/8/2011, 04:28 PM

That being said, I do appreciate the more technical nature of the lower weight classes. Sugar Ray Leonard could box the hell out of any heavyweight (but of course would get his butt kicked by any of them). But you could argue the same with basketball. You have a six foot and under NBA and you'll see a ton of damn good technical basketball players. The point is that is not what we want. We don't want the person who can dribble the best or shoot the best. We want the guy who is the best player and if you have to be 6'6" to be the best shooting guard then so be it.

I think that's retarded. The NBA and the NFL do the same thing. They don't match up WR's on DL They put big on big, speed on speed.

Individual sports are the purest form of competition there is. They make all things equal and it is up to you to get in better shape, work harder, improve yourself. You can hide a weak link in team sports, you can't when it's one on one.

Holler at me when you see a 165lb offensive linemen or a 300lb db. Let me know when you see Mugsy Bogues guarding Ewing or Shaq running the point.

BTW most heavyweights couldn't catch middleweights and unless they catch them, some would lose on points. But who the hell wants to watch a 260lber fight or wrestle a 140lber? Maybe we can have Mike Tyson fight 10 year old girls.

Romulus
5/8/2011, 05:20 PM

And the sissification of America continues

GKeeper316
5/8/2011, 05:30 PM
who cares... its wrestling, the gayest of all the pugilist sports.

Romulus
5/8/2011, 05:41 PM
^^^^
says someone who has never wrestled a day in his life

GKeeper316
5/8/2011, 05:44 PM
^^^^
says someone who has never wrestled a day in his life

i have better things to do with my time than roll around on floors with other dudes.

Wishboned
5/8/2011, 06:04 PM
Holler at me when you see a 165lb offensive linemen or a 300lb db. Let me know when you see Mugsy Bogues guarding Ewing or Shaq running the point.

At about the 22 second mark you will see Muggsy Bogues block Ewing's shot.

__jcf4dCIjw

usmc-sooner
5/8/2011, 06:56 PM
At about the 22 second mark you will see Muggsy Bogues block Ewing's shot.

__jcf4dCIjw

so you think that was the game plan?

FirstAndGoalOU
5/8/2011, 07:47 PM

Damn, how do i say this? I, in no way want to offend any one in this forum...

Some of your reply's show [that you have never participated in wrestling, gone thru the the training we endure and daily training we go thru, We are on a team. And Cherish our team mates for training and teaching.

Larger Smaller and our size , That is how we do things, people only compete against ones their own weight!

BUT when it comes down to it it is simply [Me VS. Him], I am so very sorry YOU can not appreciate our sport].
One must take the mat to understand.
I do hope one day your son attempts to wrestle, you will understand after just a few matches.
You sir have been in your basement at your moms house way to long, Or sitting in the stands watching.. This is you. Amiright?

jkjsooner
5/8/2011, 07:50 PM
I think that's retarded. The NBA and the NFL do the same thing. They don't match up WR's on DL They put big on big, speed on speed.

They do have skill positions and favor certain forms of athleticism which does give smaller/quicker people a place (to an extent) but the fact is that the best at that position are playing the best. You play as a WR in the NFL because you're one of the best WR's not because you happen to meet some arbitrary weight/height cutoff.

It's not about size bias. I happen to think gymnasts are great athletes and they can do things I could never dream of doing. Small or large, they're picked soley by their abilities to perform their sports.

I don't hate that there are weight classes in boxing or wrestling but I do think it points to a flaw in the sport. (That's okay, man, every sport has flaws and again this is only my opinion.)

Individual sports are the purest form of competition there is. They make all things equal and it is up to you to get in better shape, work harder, improve yourself. You can hide a weak link in team sports, you can't when it's one on one.

I get that and I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right. What I am saying is that cooperation is an aspect in what I consider a good sport. That includes the ability of a team to hide a weak point. What you see as a negative I see as a positive.

A lot of times we use analogies of hunting and/or fighting to explain the essence of sports and both of these activies have traditionally had a cooperation/teamwork aspect to them.

It's usually not my style to blast another's sport and I did come on too strong but when I see another claim that their sport is the best (which implies others are inferior) I believe they've opened the door to alternative viewpoints.

GDC
5/8/2011, 07:50 PM
It's like Dan Gable said, "once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy".

jkjsooner
5/8/2011, 07:57 PM
Damn, how do i say this? I, in no way want to offend any one in this forum...

Some of your reply's show [that you have never participated in wrestling, gone thru the the training we endure and daily training we go thru, We are on a team. And Cherish our team mates for training and teaching.

Larger Smaller and our size , That is how we do things, people only compete against ones their own weight!

BUT when it comes down to it it is simply [Me VS. Him], I am so very sorry YOU can not appreciate our sport].
One must take the mat to understand.
I do hope one day your son attempts to wrestle, you will understand after just a few matches.
You sir have been in your basement at your moms house way to long, Or sitting in the stands watching.. This is you. Amiright?

I don't know what the F you're talking about. I haven't lived with my parents since I was 17 and not even in the same state since I was 22 (17 years ago).

I never made any claim that wrestlers were not tough or that it wasn't a physically challenging sport. If you guys are going to come in here and assert that your sport is superior to all others then you damn well better expect comment from others who do not hold this view.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/8/2011, 08:21 PM
I don't know what the F you're talking about. I haven't lived with my parents since I was 17 and not even in the same state since I was 22 (17 years ago).

I never made any claim that wrestlers were not tough or that it wasn't a physically challenging sport. If you guys are going to come in here and assert that your sport is superior to all others then you damn well better expect comment from others who do not hold this view.

OK BIG DOG, Lets all put it on the table here and Now, Where did you wrestle, what sport did you participate in... If any? I want to Know. Its OK, just let us know.
beJQAHE6PvQ
uE504a2aUL8
ngxZVmtKCCo
5ODN4pFDq1s
Just for old time's. 1937
2hw9blf_aUg
Use it, Granby
wsYbWmljqzo

OutlandTrophy
5/8/2011, 08:47 PM
how do you know Peyton Manning is a better QB than Eli Manning?

wrestling is just about the only sport where each position plays against the exact same position.

jkjsooner
5/8/2011, 09:07 PM
OK BIG DOG, Lets all put it on the table here and Now, Where did you wrestle, what sport did you participate in... If any? I want to Know. Its OK, just let us know.

I played baseball and basketball - the only sports offered in my school.

Sorry if I offended you. I tend to get into these discussions about what makes a good sport. I like to debate it. Never did I say others have to agree with my opinion. I know this thread wasn't about the merits of wrestling so I'll apologize for hijacking the thread.

And, by the way, I said in the post that you quoted that I've never questioned the toughness of wrestlers.

jkjsooner
5/8/2011, 09:11 PM
how do you know Peyton Manning is a better QB than Eli Manning?

wrestling is just about the only sport where each position plays against the exact same position.

Um, in basketball if you're in a man-to-man defense the point guards usually go against the point guards and the centers usually go against the centers.

As for individual sports just about all of them fit this criteria. Are you implying that tennis players don't compete directly against other tennis players?

Football (along with baseball) are quite abnormal in this respect.

GDC
5/8/2011, 09:13 PM
Real men play soccer.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/8/2011, 10:20 PM
Toughest son of a bitch I ever wrestled.
BpdKWeaedKE
0g_ub--geEs

Romulus
5/8/2011, 10:26 PM
best wrestler I ever wrestled
http://www.wrestlinghalloffame.org/wrestlers.php?wrestler=1742

FirstAndGoalOU
5/8/2011, 10:40 PM
best wrestler I ever wrestled
http://www.wrestlinghalloffame.org/wrestlers.php?wrestler=1742

Well , Give it up, What happened etc.
Been there, so go for it,

Romulus
5/8/2011, 10:44 PM
got my *** kicked four times, 1 pin, 2 majors, and final match 3 point loss

for me I won that last match

Romulus
5/8/2011, 10:45 PM
first time was the pin I was a sophomore, I was beaten before I even started

FirstAndGoalOU
5/8/2011, 10:52 PM
Leroy Smith was a senior or older when I got there, They thru me to the wolves if you will... Walk on red shirt on the National Champ team is not "Happy times":mad:
The stories I could tell, Put it this way... When the wrestlers came home from being on the road no one in Iba ,unlocked there doors, or came into the hallways, Football, Basketball, you name it,
All hell was unleashed and no one wanted any part of it.

5/9/2011, 01:10 AM
It's like Dan Gable said, "once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy".I would think boxing and water polo wouldn't fit into that "everything else" category.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/9/2011, 08:28 AM
http://rockthewristband.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/goldust4.jpg