PDA

View Full Version : Cascadia Dark Ale

delhalew
5/6/2011, 09:26 AM
For those of you who might enjoy the intense hop character of an IPA, combined with a dark, much milder, roasty, malt character than a stout or porter...Try a CDA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/03/AR2010080304931.html

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/58695

JohnnyMack
5/6/2011, 09:30 AM
I like most of Deschutes stuff. We rate-beerians call them Black IPA's because CDA sounds gay.

saucysoonergal
5/6/2011, 09:39 AM
Battered Boar out of Edmond makes a great ale called Company Man. It will kick your butt. 8pt. Has cinnamon undertones and is unfiltered. 1 or 2 and I am warm and toasty.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 10:32 AM
I like most of Deschutes stuff. We rate-beerians call them Black IPA's because CDA sounds gay.

The problem is having a black pale ale is all kinds of ridiculous, and most of your classic styled are named for their region of origin. Therefore, IMHO, so to should the Cascadia Dark be thusly named.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 10:33 AM
Battered Boar out of Edmond makes a great ale called Company Man. It will kick your butt. 8pt. Has cinnamon undertones and is unfiltered. 1 or 2 and I am warm and toasty.

Sounds good.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 10:34 AM
For the record, this is the first truly new beer style in a century or more.

JohnnyMack
5/6/2011, 10:36 AM
And Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is still the best example and one of the first ones created.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 10:40 AM
And Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is still the best example and one of the first ones created.

If you mention that because Stone is in San Diego and not the Pacific Northwest, it is widely know that the style originated among Cascadian homebrewers. It also used PNW hops, usually Cascade.

JohnnyMack
5/6/2011, 10:53 AM
If you mention that because Stone is in San Diego and not the Pacific Northwest, it is widely know that the style originated among Cascadian Homebrewing. It also used PNW hops, usually Cascade.

It was Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale, produced in 2007. It was so popular they released it as Sublimely Self-Righteous. I have no interest, allegiance or general give-a-****-ness about San Diego vs. the PNW, I'm just telling you that Stone did it first on a large scale.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 11:04 AM
It was Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale, produced in 2007. It was so popular they released it as Sublimely Self-Righteous. I have no interest, allegiance or general give-a-****-ness about San Diego vs. the PNW, I'm just telling you that Stone did it first on a large scale.

I don't give two ****s about the PacificNorthwest. I thought we were talking about the appropriate name.

JohnnyMack
5/6/2011, 11:17 AM
I don't give two ****s about the PacificNorthwest. I thought we were talking about the appropriate name.

Stone made a beer in 2007 and called it a Black IPA. It became very popular, especially in the PNW and people started brewing similar versions. For a while there it was a coin flip as to whether or not to call it a Black IPA, which is what Stone originally called their brew and what ratebeer.com adopted as a name, or a CDA. There was no such thing as a CDA when Stone released its 11th Anniv. Ale. So to me, the term CDA is something that's a bastardized version of a black IPA. Semantics for sure.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 11:35 AM
Stone made a beer in 2007 and called it a Black IPA. It became very popular, especially in the PNW and people started brewing similar versions. For a while there it was a coin flip as to whether or not to call it a Black IPA, which is what Stone originally called their brew and what ratebeer.com adopted as a name, or a CDA. There was no such thing as a CDA when Stone released its 11th Anniv. Ale. So to me, the term CDA is something that's a bastardized version of a black IPA. Semantics for sure.

You're missing my point.

The name is settled. The BJCP decided to call it Black IPA.

However, I'm not going to call it that, because it makes you sound foolish to call something a black pale ale. No one can make me say that.

If we were dead set against Cascadia, these guys have the second best idea.
http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/stories/craft-beer-muses/show?title=india-black-ale-a-rose-by-any-other-name

BTW, I am right about the origins of the beer.

Of course, the point is that it is mighty tasty. The Deschutes is my favorite.

OUDoc
5/6/2011, 11:52 AM

I like it too but Beer Advocate's ratings for it sure aren't very good.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 11:55 AM
I like it too but Beer Advocate's ratings for it sure aren't very good.

True BA is a joke when it comes to ratings. It's a pretty solid database though.

JohnnyMack
5/6/2011, 01:12 PM
You're missing my point.

The name is settled. The BJCP decided to call it Black IPA.

However, I'm not going to call it that, because it makes you sound foolish to call something a black pale ale. No one can make me say that.

If we were dead set against Cascadia, these guys have the second best idea.
http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/stories/craft-beer-muses/show?title=india-black-ale-a-rose-by-any-other-name

BTW, I am right about the origins of the beer.

Of course, the point is that it is mighty tasty. The Deschutes is my favorite.

Semantics for sure.