PDA

View Full Version : plumbing question

madmartigan
5/5/2011, 07:59 PM
for anyone with plumbing knowledge:

i live in a rental home in norman east of woodward park. a few months ago when we had those earthquakes throughout oklahoma, a minute or so before we actually felt tremors my toilet started bubbling for about 30 seconds (think blowing bubbles in pop with a straw) and then all of the water drained out of the toilet. right after that bam, earthquake.
since then, maybe 3 or 4 times a month, the same thing happens. the water will start bubbling in the toilet like there is some sort of built up pressure, followed by the water draining.
tonight i was in the shower and i heard the toilet bubbling again. it was by far the most amount i have seen it bubble. i was worried the toilet was about to explode. at the same time, which hasn't happened before but it was the first time i was in the shower as it was happening, the shower drain started bubbling. almost like a reverse toilet flush or something. it bubbled a few times as the toilet was, then drained like nothing had happened. this time though it went on for nearly 5 mins whereas before it lasts no longer than 30 seconds or so.
anyone else experience this kind of thing before? any advice?

sooner_born_1960
5/5/2011, 08:01 PM
A vent might not be venting properly.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 08:08 PM
EQ has nothing to do with it. Are you on a Septic system?

sanantoniosooner
5/5/2011, 08:09 PM
Does STEP live next door?

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 08:10 PM
Does STEP live next door?

Obvious question, How in hell did i miss it?:confused:

Whet
5/5/2011, 08:22 PM
Bubbles usually mean that there isn't proper ventilation on that fixture. So either bad toilet, or vent is clogged. Remove the p-trap from the sink, then flush the turlet and see what happens.

rekamrettuB
5/5/2011, 08:32 PM
My advice would be to call your landlord.

Soonerson1975
5/5/2011, 08:35 PM
Yep, the vent is stopped up. If you don't get it fixed pretty soon you'll end up with a great big turd burger.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 09:03 PM
Nuff said

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/4/27/aa7178ba-322a-411a-aa82-e836dfcbe6f3.jpg

madmartigan
5/5/2011, 09:39 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. i've been in this place since the end of last year and haven't had any problems until this. in fact, toilet did it again just about half an hour ago, but only lasted the normal 30 seconds. i am not sure if this place is on a septic system or not but the landlord will be contacted. thanks again.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 10:14 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. i've been in this place since the end of last year and haven't had any problems until this. in fact, toilet did it again just about half an hour ago, but only lasted the normal 30 seconds. i am not sure if this place is on a septic system or not but the landlord will be contacted. thanks again.

Is it IN the city limits? It really do sound to mke like the Septic needs Pumped out

If its on a Septic . Dump ya a packet of yeats down the drain once a month , Does the same thing as Ridex but a hell of alot cheaper.;)

GDC
5/6/2011, 08:58 AM
Run your garden hose out on the roof and fill all your vents with water. This should fix it, or at least diagnose your problem.

sooner_born_1960
5/6/2011, 09:22 AM
He's renting. Let the landlord do all that stuff.

The Profit
5/6/2011, 09:41 AM
He's renting. Let the landlord do all that stuff.

As a landlord, I resent that statement.

rekamrettuB
5/6/2011, 09:54 AM
As a landlord, I resent that statement.

I'm a landlord too. I would much rather pay to fix it correctly the first time then let a tenant try and fix it and do worse damage.

tator
5/6/2011, 10:53 AM
I can confidently say that you have a terd burglar in your drain system.

madmartigan
5/6/2011, 02:58 PM
i am in the city limits, live right next to westwood park golf course. i looked up some of the do it yourself ideas but i think i'll leave it to my landlord. i'd rather not take a chance of flooding something or effing it up somehow. but thanks again for all the advice y'all.