PDA

View Full Version : Killed by Pit Bull

bonkuba
5/5/2011, 03:41 PM
My wife's uncle recently was killed by a pit bull.....

I am a dog lover and have owned many over my life, but I see no use for these animals. I don't think it's "tuff" to own one....have no idea why anyone would want an animal that, at the blink of an eye, could attack and kill your child....or even you. I could not live with myself if I owned one of those things and it attacked one of my children.

Tony (Anthony) didn't have a lot...really not even a home....but no one deserves to die like this. He was always there when I needed him and my wife and I helped him all we could.

Here is the link to the Ardmoreite story......the owner of the pos dog turned himself in and will be charged with as much as we can muster. The DA is very helpful......

Keep my wife's family in your prayers........

One last thing. Tony told his sister a week or so ago that someone had stolen his OU cap.......well he has one cupped in his hand now...brand new and fitted. Boomer Sooner Tony.......God Bless.

http://www.ardmoreite.com/news/x528725079/Local-man-killed-in-pit-bull-attack

sanantoniosooner
5/5/2011, 03:43 PM
That's horrible.

Prayers for sure.

Boomer.....
5/5/2011, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear that. In!

C&CDean
5/5/2011, 03:46 PM
Bad deal, but I can't blame the dog or the breed. The stupid owner should be the one who got shot. RIP to your uncle.

SoonerLVZ
5/5/2011, 03:47 PM
Sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace Tony.

KantoSooner
5/5/2011, 03:48 PM
I'm with you. I've had setters, beagles, mongrels of many basic types. I've slept with dogs on the foot of my bed, fighting me for the pillow and blanket, etc.
I love 'em.

I've never had an ounce of 'fellow feeling' from a pit bull. Just nothing. Those blank, shark eyes just follow you around, measuring your for an attack. I'd personally feel more comfortable around a tiger. They're friendlier.

How anyone could keep a 'dog' that insurance companies won't cover is beyond me.

You have my sympathies.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 03:53 PM
In on the Prayers Bro
I to dont understand the need to own one of em

They really are Great dogs, Friendly and Loyal, then they can SNAP
Know a guy here who said its all in how they are raised then his bit 2 dif. little girls and disfigured them. POS had no insurance and when the Law suits ended He filed Bankruptcy.

achiro
5/5/2011, 03:56 PM
The dog was chained up by the owner? It seems that if the owner has the dog restrained and it's on their property that there wasn't anything illegal about it? If a guard dog bites someone when they are trespassing and the owner can get in trouble, what's the point of having a guard dog?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of pit bulls at all but I'm not understanding this situation.

bonkuba
5/5/2011, 03:57 PM
My apologies folks for my emotions being slightly more intense than normal when writing the initial post.

I didn't mean to go on a rant about the breed (although it is what I believe)....just letting you guys know about Tony.

You guys have always been good and rallied around anyone that needed a lift or prayers sent.......no matter any past arguments, etc, etc....and for that you have my utmost respect.

mgsooner
5/5/2011, 03:58 PM
The dog was chained up by the owner? It seems that if the owner has the dog restrained and it's on their property that there wasn't anything illegal about it? If a guard dog bites someone when they are trespassing and the owner can get in trouble, what's the point of having a guard dog?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of pit bulls at all but I'm not understanding this situation.

So you can leave your pit bull chained to your porch and it can indiscriminately kill people without any repercussions? Sweet!

Bye bye mail man, UPS guy, girl scout cookie salesgirls, meter readers, etc, etc, etc

Soonerson1975
5/5/2011, 04:00 PM
Sorry for your loss. I'd rather have Stu for a neighbor than having a pit bull.

C&CDean
5/5/2011, 04:03 PM
So you can leave your pit bull chained to your porch and it can indiscriminately kill people without any repercussions? Sweet!

Bye bye mail man, UPS guy, girl scout cookie salesgirls, meter readers, etc, etc, etc

Momma used to be a mailman. She had more problems with yap dogs than big ones. Either way though she could spray that dog mace with deadly accurate precision. She even had to use it on a two-legged dog once down on campus.

bonkuba
5/5/2011, 04:04 PM

Tony was there by invitation...has been there many times in the past.....just a few houses over from him.

As to another piece of your post....biting is one thing......ripping a throat out, both eyes, and one side of your face is much different.

mgsooner
5/5/2011, 04:04 PM
Momma used to be a mailman. She had more problems with yap dogs than big ones. Either way though she could spray that dog mace with deadly accurate precision. She even had to use it on a two-legged dog once down on campus.

My dad recently retired from the USPS. 30 years of service as a carrier

C&CDean
5/5/2011, 04:06 PM
My dad recently retired from the USPS. 30 years of service as a carrier

Big Daddy never carried mail, but he did pretty much everything else for the company. He's retiring in 26 days. Hallelujah, Saints be praised!!

DCSooner
5/5/2011, 04:06 PM
Must have been a long chain. Did your Uncle in law know those people or something?

OUHOMER
5/5/2011, 04:10 PM
WOW, Sad deal prayers for your family.

bonkuba
5/5/2011, 04:10 PM
Must have been a long chain. Did your Uncle in law know those people or something?

Yes......he had been there many times....neighbors. The chain really wasnt that long (dont know the exact length)......the dog killed him on the front porch....as best we can tell....may have dragged him up on the porch. Tony was a little guy.....5ft nothing and maybe 130lbs or so.

Also, he was my wife's uncle......

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/5/2011, 04:11 PM
Sorry for your loss

Pit bulls can be great dogs but are also bred for aggression so owning one is a big risk. Hell, owning any dog can be a risk if you don't know the phycology of a dog

DCSooner
5/5/2011, 04:14 PM
Yes......he had been there many times....neighbors. The chain really wasnt that long (dont know the exact length)......the dog killed him on the front porch....as best we can tell....may have dragged him up on the porch. Tony was a little guy.....5ft nothing and maybe 130lbs or so.

Also, he was my wife's uncle......

Well, I guess I could see myself walking up to the door too. Did Tony drink by chance?

And I said Uncle-In-Law.

BoomerSooner, esq.
5/5/2011, 04:18 PM
I have a 3 year old pit bull that I adopted from the pound a little over a year ago. I have had dogs all my life and have always had a soft spot for them. I never saw myself owning a pit bull as I thought much like the rest of you, that they were nothing but violent, killers. For some reason, this one caught my eye.

You said "have no idea why anyone would want an animal that, at the blink of an eye, could attack and kill your child" but doesnt that go for any animal? I have heard stories of dogs of every breed, size and demeanor "snapping" and hurting people or other dogs. I won't lie, I have been very cautious with mine, especially not knowing her background. She and my other dog (a 12 pound foofy dog) are best friends and stay out together all day, and sleep on the same bed at night.

I understand that pit bulls have an awful reputation, and some of it is deserved. But, in my opinion, the VAST majority of it has to do with the owners and the way the dogs are treated. I can probably find you one news story of another breed of dog maiming or killing a person for just about every story of a pit doing the same. There is no doubt that they are extremely strong and protective animals. But I have found that they are also extremely smart, loyal and loving dogs.

But, like I said earlier, I am also very careful with her around other people (especially children) and other dogs.

Prayers for your wife's uncle.

SunnySooner
5/5/2011, 04:24 PM
Really sorry, Bonk, prayers for your family.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/5/2011, 04:27 PM
That's horrible.

Prayers for sure.Ditto, and I must say, I don't like to be around those animals. Sorta like being in the presence of a wolf or leopard.

3rdgensooner
5/5/2011, 04:29 PM
:(

I'm sorry for your loss. Man, that had to be scary for him, poor guy.

soonerchk
5/5/2011, 04:31 PM
Our records indicate we have answered two previous calls at that residence regarding dog bites.

I would like to know why they still had this dog if that's the case.

Very sad.

2121Sooner
5/5/2011, 04:32 PM
Cause people are retarded when it comes to animals

KantoSooner
5/5/2011, 04:39 PM
Boomer,
I read your post and then did a little checking. According to what I found (source, Maricopa County Animal Control. Hey! it was short notice). Pit Bulls rank no. 1 in the country for biting (followed by German Shepards and Chihuahuas) and constitute about 12%-20% of total dog bites. Now, that's impressive by itself, but I think we can all see that a chihuahua bite is not going to be all that severe. Simply shake the bitten limb hard and send 'Puddles' into low eath orbit.
The problem with pit bull 'bites' according to animal control is that they are not 'nips' or single bites. They are sustained attacks, in general and result, typically, in deep tissue or bone injury, the necessity for hospitalization or death. (this, too, is the opinion of the animal control officer.)

We have a neighbor whose son has one and brings it to visit. When I see his truck showing up, I place a loaded handgun or shotgun next to each door in the house. it's a drag that every time he comes home (and I like the guy), I have to keep any kids indoors to ensure their safety.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 04:50 PM
I to rescued one from the shelter, Every Good thing said about em is very true, Also every bad thing. 2 years after rescuing him I had to shoot him. Loved him and hated to do it, But once a Dog of any breed kills they got to go down.

KantoSooner
5/5/2011, 04:52 PM
Who'd he kill, Vet? Anyone we know?

NormanPride
5/5/2011, 04:55 PM
About 1% of dog owners have what it takes to handle that breed. You can quote all the nice ones out there all you want, but the fact remains that the breed is unstable and dangerous for the vast majority of owners. The cases you see where a normal dog snaps are usually due to being mistreated or becoming sick. With the Pitbull it's completely random - a child pulling an ear playfully, or a loud noise outside that startles it. I consider myself a fairly advanced dog owner, and I would not go near one, precisely because I know so much about dogs.

Sorry for your loss... God bless!

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 05:00 PM
Who'd he kill, Vet? Anyone we know?

A snitch ;)

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 05:01 PM
About 1% of dog owners have what it takes to handle that breed. You can quote all the nice ones out there all you want, but the fact remains that the breed is unstable and dangerous for the vast majority of owners. The cases you see where a normal dog snaps are usually due to being mistreated or becoming sick. With the Pitbull it's completely random - a child pulling an ear playfully, or a loud noise outside that startles it. I consider myself a fairly advanced dog owner, and I would not go near one, precisely because I know so much about dogs.

Sorry for your loss... God bless!

Yup, If yer gonna have a Pit Bull ya might as well just leave loaded guns laying around fer the Kids to play with.

Peach Fuzz
5/5/2011, 05:11 PM
Pit bull owner since 12. Saw 1 fight in 9 years( 2 males). They're a bigger breed so no **** they will do more damage... No use for the breed? No use for a your ugly lap dogs either ;)
I agree you have to be 'committed' with them but you would feel more comfortable around a tiger? Really...

Sorry for your loss just a horrible situation. Is there anything where you could need concent or at least some sort of 'ok' from the neighbors if one was to own a pitt in an urban enviro?

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 05:14 PM
Pit bull owner since 12. Saw 1 fight in 9 years( 2 males). They're a bigger and stronger breed so no **** they will do more Killing... No use for the breed? No use for a your ugly lap dogs either ;)
I agree you have to be 'committed' with them but you would feel more comfortable around a tiger? Really...

Sorry for your loss just a horrible situation. Is there anything where you could need concent or at least some sort of 'ok' from the neighbors if one was to own a pitt in an urban enviro?

FIFY.;)

NormanPride
5/5/2011, 05:45 PM
Honestly, I think people should have dog training just like they have gun training. Dogs know how to be dogs. Humans need to know how to own them.

delhalew
5/5/2011, 06:05 PM
I'm so sorry that happened. In for the prayers.

I will say I once adopted a badly abused pitt/boxer mix. It was sketchy at first. She turned out to be the best dog I ever had, and lived 12 years. It was a big risk. After having her ten years I trusted her with my daughter as much as I would trust any dog with a child. With the notable exception that a dog that powerful could easily kill a child. I guess my point is, even an old family pet is still just an animal.

Be at peace, Tony.

oudavid1
5/5/2011, 06:11 PM
Its the owner.

cccasooner2
5/5/2011, 06:16 PM
Its the owner.

Its was the owner's name?

oudavid1
5/5/2011, 06:17 PM
Its was the owner's name?

no, as in it was the owners fault. If you cant raise a dog to be a part of society, than its your responsibility to get rid of it.

sanantoniosooner
5/5/2011, 06:19 PM
david clearly doesn't know how to properly use "it's"

yermom
5/5/2011, 06:21 PM
a German Shepard could have done the same thing. i probably wouldn't own a Pitt Bull, but i've been bitten by lots of dogs, but not the Pitt Bulls i've been around, granted it hasn't really been many.

they had the dog chained up on their property. i'm not sure what else they are supposed to do. it sounds like a horrible deal, regardless. dogs are animals, and need to be treated with some amount of caution, regardless of breed.

GKeeper316
5/5/2011, 06:44 PM
i'm sorry to hear about your uncle.

but you can't blame a dog for doing what it is taught to do.

A Sooner in Texas
5/5/2011, 09:26 PM
Really so sorry about Tony...that is horrible.
I have a friend whose son and daughter in law have two pits..and two young children. I've never seen the dogs be anything other than very loving and well trained, and I've never been scared around them, but I can't help but have some fear for those kids.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 09:32 PM
no, as in it was the owners fault. If you cant raise a dog to be a part of society, than its your responsibility to get rid of it.

David Clearly doesn't know jack about Dogs either.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 09:42 PM
a German Shepard could have done the same thing. i probably wouldn't own a Pitt Bull, but i've been bitten by lots of dogs, but not the Pitt Bulls i've been around, granted it hasn't really been many.

they had the dog chained up on their property. i'm not sure what else they are supposed to do. it sounds like a horrible deal, regardless. dogs are animals, and need to be treated with some amount of caution, regardless of breed.

i'm sorry to hear about your uncle.

but you can't blame a dog for doing what it is taught to do.

So Yall think the Dog is Trained to Kill? the dude was Known there.Sounds to je like he had been there before and went to visit , Stepped up on the porch to knock on the door and the Dog attacked!

Come on, Pit Bulls are Vicious animals that NO ONE needs to Own
Much Like a M60 Machine gun. Sure it would be fun to have But WHY?

Yermom I to have been bitten, Had a German shepard Bite me in the face when I was 10. Ya know what? I backed the **** up and he dint bite me anymore , a Pit will keep attacking

Gomer, So you say The dog aint to blame fer Killin cause its trained that way?
Well according to you yer an EX marine, Do you think you should be able to kill cause you been trained?:rolleyes:

Some of you peeps are idiots on this subject:eek: :P

sooner ngintunr
5/5/2011, 09:52 PM
Sad news, very tragic.

When my Daughter was born I was glad my Rottie got cancer. ****er got me good once, didn't know what hit me. 2 seconds and at least 20 punctures on my forearm. Was sore for a week. She did warn me though, I was drunk and she needed that bandage on her foot.

yermom
5/5/2011, 09:53 PM
i'm saying, if i dog is acting weird, i'm going to get away from it, especially if it's on a chain. if the owners aren't with you, who knows how it will act.

i don't know the particulars of what was going on, or how he might have acted around the dog this time or others.

lots of normal people seem to like that type of dog, they are supposed to be really protective of family. conversely, if the family isn't around, i don't think i would want to be either.

i can see blaming the dog, or the owners that raised them, but not just blanketing the breed. it sucks what happened, but i don't see how the owners can be charged with much if the dog didn't escape the yard.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 10:01 PM
Dave, Ill try one more time. The PoPo said they had been called on the dog at least twice prior to this. (Bad Dog)

The Dude that got Killed was evidently friends with the owners. and had been to the shack more than once. So Im guessing he had been around said dog many times , and thot nothing of walkin up and knocking on the door.

Now as far as that Particular breed goes? please do some more research they are Bred to kill. and Ok maybe a Biznacho dog bites as many people in a year as a Pit does.
How many Die from each?

delhalew
5/5/2011, 10:02 PM
So Yall think the Dog is Trained to Kill? the dude was Known there.Sounds to je like he had been there before and went to visit , Stepped up on the porch to knock on the door and the Dog attacked!

Come on, Pit Bulls are Vicious animals that NO ONE needs to Own
Much Like a M60 Machine gun. Sure it would be fun to have But WHY?

Yermom I to have been bitten, Had a German shepard Bite me in the face when I was 10. Ya know what? I backed the **** up and he dint bite me anymore , a Pit will keep attacking

Gomer, So you say The dog aint to blame fer Killin cause its trained that way?
Well according to you yer an EX marine, Do you think you should be able to kill cause you been trained?:rolleyes:

Some of you peeps are idiots on this subject:eek: :P

Are you implying Vet that you know more about it than I do having owned one for more than a decade. I basically said it was the owners fault as well.

If you want, I can elaborate on why I think that.

Nothing in this world is one size fits all. It is awfully presumptuous to decide for us all what dog we can own. That would be like me telling you that you can't have a gator. ;) Which, of course, I would never do.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 10:03 PM
With that said, I will never have another. And if one is ever around Me or My Grand kids Ill just shoot it and be done. I aint taking any chances.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 10:06 PM
Are you implying Vet that you know more about it than I do having owned one for more than a decade. I basically said it was the owners fault as well.

Nothing in this world OS one size fits all. It is awfully presumptuous to decide for us all what dog we can own. That would be like me telling you that you can't have a gator. ;) Which, of course, I would never do.

No Bro I aint, Im just sayin If yer gonna own one Please make sure its not where it can hurt anyone, Much Like I said If yer gonna have a loaded gun, Please make sure it cant hurt a kid.

My Gator was here in the Middle of my 42 acres and in no way could hurt anyone Even me, Tho he did draw blood.:O

delhalew
5/5/2011, 10:27 PM
No Bro I aint, Im just sayin If yer gonna own one Please make sure its not where it can hurt anyone, Much Like I said If yer gonna have a loaded gun, Please make sure it cant hurt a kid.

My Gator was here in the Middle of my 42 acres and in no way could hurt anyone Even me, Tho he did draw blood.:O

:D
That is exactly what I'm saying. It is up to you to know your animal. By all accounts my dog SHOULD have been viscous. Even after ten years I never left her alone with a kid. Because that would just be stupid.

Speaking of research, if you read up, any aggression towards humans is atypical and not to be tolerated. ANY animal that shows aggression towards humans needs to be put down. Included toy dogs. Pitt bulls are bred to be aggressive towards other dogs. This has to be remembered.

I had a neighborhood Dalmation that I couldn't keep away from dog. SOB was always coming up in our yard trying to fight. Every day I called Bo off in her own yard. Until the day I didn't. She killed that Dalmation rather quickly.

Know your animal. Otherwise, it will put down and you will be sued.
As thread demonstrated, that is the best case scenario. In this case someone lost there life over an animal that should have already been put down.

olevetonahill
5/5/2011, 10:38 PM
Agreed Del.

The one I rescued from the shelter was a sweet dog.
Ex had a Mini Schnauzer. That lil fugger thot HE ruled the Roost, Kept fuggin with Hooch, Hooch finally snapped and clamped on that throat. I pried him off before he killed. But I knew it was just a matter of time.

My whole thinkin is If ya Know It Might Kill some one one WHY have it around in the 1st place there are Other dogs just as sweet and loving but Not near as dangerous to the neighbors as a Pit.

Like I said I loved Hooch But I will never have another, I aint gettin attached then havin to kill it. **** that ****.;)

soonercruiser
5/5/2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry - very sad story.
Prayer for Tony!
:(

SoonerBread
5/6/2011, 06:27 AM
Ts and Ps to the lost uncle-in-law.

Pit bull owner here. Rescue dog. Very low-key, very timid, very loving, very lazy, very intelligent.

We also own a Shih-Tzu. Wife's dog of 10+ years. My pit knows her shih-tzu runs the joint. All the horrible stories you hear about pit bulls do not apply to all situations. Our two dogs eat from the same dish (though we wish they wouldn't). Pit waits for shih-tzu to finish before approaching. They share the same couch. They bed together. They run the back yard together.

Both are neutered.

And that might be the key. Even our shih-tzu was hyper, snippy, punchy before he was neutered. Really took his edge off when we snipped him. Pit bull is very care-free. I actually feel better about leaving the kids at home now that he is there, just because he's a big dog, has a loud bark, and most people are scared ****less by the sight of him. Thing is, he's just as cautious around people as they are of him. When I take him on our daily walk, he acts like a shy kid. When we happen upon another person walking or running, he "hides" behind me. He very seldom puts tension on his leash. When he does, it's because nature is calling.

I've noticed over time how territorial he is, in that when he's in a familiar place, he's much more at ease. When we take a new route through the neighborhood, he plays the shy game again. I rest my head on my pillow every night knowing he's as close to "snapping" and turning into a trained "killer" as any other dog is.

Yes, pit bulls are strong. Yes, they have an imposing stature and body language. Yes, they have shown a tenacity that is almost impossible to break. Yes, they have hurt people in ways no one wants to know about. BUT, they are very, very, very trainable. They won't quit, and if the owner is able to cultivate that trait in a constructive way versus destructive way, they will be the most enjoyable dog one could ever hope to own. Ours knows his place. But he also knows he's loved. He knows what is acceptable behavior, and violence has never been used for reinforcement. He has never nor will ever be struck to correct behavior. He is not given pain to correct misbehavior. He is not shown aggressive behavior by a human. He respects the sound of a human voice.

Long winded way of saying it's all about the owner. Great people can be terrible dog owners, regardless of what breed they own. Great parents can be horrible dog parents. If you don't have the temperment to put up with the dirty looks, the stares, the ostricizing, this dog breed is not for you. I didn't get him for protection. I got him for friendship. And he's a great friend. He's been the most loyal, loving, peaceful dog I've ever owned. And I've had many. This is by far the most misunderstood breed of dog.

And from experienced handlers/trainers I've spoken with, pits are the most impressionable dog around. They respond accordingly to their environment and adpot the attitude of their owner.

Turd_Ferguson
5/6/2011, 06:34 AM
I'll kill ever one of those sombitches!

:D

yermom
5/6/2011, 07:17 AM

Pit bull owner here. Rescue dog. Very low-key, very timid, very loving, very lazy, very intelligent.

We also own a Shih-Tzu. Wife's dog of 10+ years. My pit knows her shih-tzu runs the joint. All the horrible stories you hear about pit bulls do not apply to all situations. Our two dogs eat from the same dish (though we wish they wouldn't). Pit waits for shih-tzu to finish before approaching. They share the same couch. They bed together. They run the back yard together.

Both are neutered.

And that might be the key. Even our shih-tzu was hyper, snippy, punchy before he was neutered. Really took his edge off when we snipped him. Pit bull is very care-free. I actually feel better about leaving the kids at home now that he is there, just because he's a big dog, has a loud bark, and most people are scared ****less by the sight of him. Thing is, he's just as cautious around people as they are of him. When I take him on our daily walk, he acts like a shy kid. When we happen upon another person walking or running, he "hides" behind me. He very seldom puts tension on his leash. When he does, it's because nature is calling.

I've noticed over time how territorial he is, in that when he's in a familiar place, he's much more at ease. When we take a new route through the neighborhood, he plays the shy game again. I rest my head on my pillow every night knowing he's as close to "snapping" and turning into a trained "killer" as any other dog is.

Yes, pit bulls are strong. Yes, they have an imposing stature and body language. Yes, they have shown a tenacity that is almost impossible to break. Yes, they have hurt people in ways no one wants to know about. BUT, they are very, very, very trainable. They won't quit, and if the owner is able to cultivate that trait in a constructive way versus destructive way, they will be the most enjoyable dog one could ever hope to own. Ours knows his place. But he also knows he's loved. He knows what is acceptable behavior, and violence has never been used for reinforcement. He has never nor will ever be struck to correct behavior. He is not given pain to correct misbehavior. He is not shown aggressive behavior by a human. He respects the sound of a human voice.

Long winded way of saying it's all about the owner. Great people can be terrible dog owners, regardless of what breed they own. Great parents can be horrible dog parents. If you don't have the temperment to put up with the dirty looks, the stares, the ostricizing, this dog breed is not for you. I didn't get him for protection. I got him for friendship. And he's a great friend. He's been the most loyal, loving, peaceful dog I've ever owned. And I've had many. This is by far the most misunderstood breed of dog.

And from experienced handlers/trainers I've spoken with, pits are the most impressionable dog around. They respond accordingly to their environment and adpot the attitude of their owner.

my mom's shih tzu loved to bite people. she did not want anyone around my mom :O

delhalew
5/6/2011, 07:49 AM

Both are neutered.

Well said. I don't think I'll ever have a dog as special as Bo was. I haven't gotten another since she died, and won't until the kids drive me crazy begging.

JDMT
5/6/2011, 08:59 AM
So very sorry to hear of your uncles passing. I'm a pit owner, and it saddens me to hear these type of stories.

OUMallen
5/6/2011, 09:15 AM
"Our records indicate we have answered two previous calls at that residence regarding dog bites. "

oudavid1
5/6/2011, 09:23 AM

I dont use apostrophes for, not FOR ANYONE!!!! 8)

David Clearly doesn't know jack about Dogs either.

Ive been attacked twice in my life. One was a pit bull and one was a dalmatian. I killed the pit bull. (Owner was mad, but i was defending myself)

bonkuba
5/6/2011, 09:32 AM
"Our records indicate we have answered two previous calls at that residence regarding dog bites. "

Boggles the mind don't it??? Of course I am just up in arms at the moment....but I really dont think the Sherrif's dept gave a ****.....and just blew it off. Or the POS knew someone at the dept.

SoonerBread
5/6/2011, 10:21 AM
Boggles the mind don't it??? Of course I am just up in arms at the moment....but I really dont think the Sherrif's dept gave a ****.....and just blew it off. Or the POS knew someone at the dept.

It's tragic that an irresponsible owner was enabled by apathetic law enforcement.

You have every right to be up in arms about it.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/6/2011, 10:27 AM
Said to hear, prayers...

Hope the family sues the bajeebus out of the dog owners. It doesn't bring back the loved one, but may prevent more poor dog owners.

jk the sooner fan
5/6/2011, 10:29 AM
no offense to any pitbull owners here, and believe me - i love dogs - but i wouldnt shed a tear if the breed disappeared

OutlandTrophy
5/6/2011, 10:43 AM

Nothing in this world is one size fits all. It is awfully presumptuous to decide for us all what dog we can own. That would be like me telling you that you can't have a gator. ;) Which, of course, I would never do.

was your dog a bitch?

delhalew
5/6/2011, 10:44 AM

Really sad. Ever dog owner should know, your dog bites someone, it gets put down. No excuses.

delhalew
5/6/2011, 10:44 AM
was your dog a bitch?

Indeed.

OutlandTrophy
5/6/2011, 10:47 AM
she ever cut anyone off in traffic?

OULenexaman
5/6/2011, 10:49 AM
I dont use apostrophes for, not FOR ANYONE!!!! 8)

Ive been attacked twice in my life. One was a pit bull and one was a dalmatian. I killed the pit bull. (Owner was mad, but i was defending myself) you got attacked by a harmless Walt Disney dalmatian? That had to take some work....:D

Sooner_Tuf
5/6/2011, 03:19 PM
Yup, If yer gonna have a Pit Bull ya might as well just leave loaded guns laying around fer the Kids to play with.

:confused: I don't have a problem with loaded guns or pit bulls.

Seriously I grew up in a house with loaded guns and pit bulls. We all lived to be adults just fine. I don't have pit bulls. I have Airedales. Not because I consider them to be safer because I like their personalities better.

Sooner_Tuf
5/6/2011, 03:21 PM
no offense to any pitbull owners here, and believe me - i love dogs - but i wouldnt shed a tear if the breed disappeared

You can make just about any dog mean if you try. If you get rid of pit bulls the losers will just pick another breed. Wait til all the little dickheads are walking around with 100+ pound pissed off rottweilers.

Sooner_Tuf
5/6/2011, 03:22 PM
you got attacked by a harmless Walt Disney dalmatian? That had to take some work....:D

Do don't like it when you get umm...errr....behind them :D

sooneron
5/6/2011, 03:28 PM
Condolences to you and yours, Bon.
I have never been a fan of pits. I love pretty much all animals, but I never feel secure around those dogs.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/6/2011, 03:32 PM
Ive been attacked twice in my life. One was a pit bull and one was a dalmatian. I killed the pit bull. (Owner was mad, but i was defending myself)

I had no idea you are such a bad ***.

You should join a gang.

I Am Right
5/6/2011, 05:57 PM
Was in the Guard with Tony, Sad deal!

AggieTool
5/6/2011, 08:32 PM
The amount of denial around pits is very confounding to me.

They're a man-made genetic variant that is designed specifically for aggression and pain tolerance.

There are some responsible-upstanding folks that own them for whatever reason, but they are also the preferred breed of drug dealers and scum.

And families that suffer similar tragedies involving kids, always seem to lament about how it was such a nice dog and how well the dog was raised and trained.

...just sayin

Wishboned
5/6/2011, 08:50 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss Bonk.

jkjsooner
5/7/2011, 03:41 PM
They say Pit Bulls are good dogs but it takes a very experienced owner to handle them properly. Even if true, I don't think that's an acceptable response unless we can force others to display their ability to train and handle one before being allowed to own one.

I'll have to disagree with Kanto a bit. A friend of a friend had one and it was a really sweet dog. I got the feel that that dog was very affectionate. That doesn't mean I trusted the dog but at that moment in time it was very lovable.

sanantoniosooner
5/7/2011, 04:12 PM
:confused: I don't have a problem with loaded guns or pit bulls.

Seriously I grew up in a house with loaded guns and pit bulls. We all lived to be adults just fine. I don't have pit bulls. I have Airedales. Not because I consider them to be safer because I like their personalities better.

So somebody survived around loaded guns and pit bulls, so they're safe?

People drink and drive without negative results all the time also. Survival by luck isn't a way to live.

jkjsooner
5/7/2011, 05:04 PM

People drink and drive without negative results all the time also. Survival by luck isn't a way to live.

Yep, same argument as "we didn't have child seats when we were kids" or "our parents drank and smoke when pregnant and we were fine." Neither one holds up to statistical analysis.

bonkuba
5/21/2011, 04:57 PM
*****UPDATE*****

http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/Couple_charged_in_fatal_Ardmore_dog_mauling_121739 729.html

SoonerKnight
5/21/2011, 05:17 PM
Prayers for your family! I am sorry for your loss!

I would like to say one thing though. I was raised around pit bulls starting when i was 6 years old. Pits are not as visious as the press makes them out to be. Any dog that is chained is going to be more aggressive and the owner is an idiot. Pits are a strong breed that is true but labs have more vicious attacks on adults and children than pits.

My grandfather controlled his dogs. He had his property fenced and plenty of warning signs. If guest were trying to come to the house he would take his stick and hit the side of the house and yell "Get ya house!" the dogs would run to their house and you would not even see a head poking out. Sissy the oldest pit was very sweet and so was Pogy she was a very sweet and energetic dog that never ever gave any indication of being aggressive neither did sissy. Dogs are agressive when chained and they can be protective of property but is that not what these dogs have been used for? A guard dog is the typical term and pits, Labs, Golden Retreivers etc all have their shar of attack and bites. The owners need to control their dogs and think about other people's safety. Obviously this owner did not care and now they deserve to go to prison.

The dog was doing what was natural. sadly the pit bull gets the bad press and everyone has a bad opinion of them! I do not own a pit now nor would I mainly because my wife can not handle that kind of breed.

Again I am sorry for your families loss and I can understand how you feel. Prayers for you, your wife and family!

BudSooner
5/21/2011, 05:24 PM
I second the thought about Rots as they can be just as deadly as Pits, Pits just get more press.
I've had two close encounters with a Rot, once I was pulling a Usain Bolt and dove over a fence(I was doing a repair on a customers cable at the pole and had not setup the ladder on the pole, it was leaning on the fence behind the house)and the other was when I was on the ladder and the dog tree'd me.

I always carry my linemans 4lb sledge on the toolbelt, just to drive hooks into the pole and for my protection in case of attack. It took 4 fully grown men to restrain this dog, NEVER turn your back on this breed either.

delhalew
5/21/2011, 05:37 PM
I'm glad they've been charged, bonk.

Turd_Ferguson
5/21/2011, 06:56 PM
I'll kill ever one of those sombitches!Still feel the same way...

SOONER44EVER
5/22/2011, 01:25 AM
If you have to keep ANY dog on a chain, you have no business having a dog. PERIOD. Chains make dogs agressive.

olevetonahill
5/22/2011, 02:23 AM
If you have to keep ANY dog on a chain, you have no business having a dog. PERIOD. Chains make dogs agressive.

Smart man.
People please, I know Pits are GREAT dogs
But come on The ONLY ones ya hear about are the ones who KILL.

Ok so Labs Bite peeps, DO THEY KILL? No a Lab will Bite till you quit . A Pit will bite till yer DEAD :eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
5/22/2011, 11:54 AM
You can make just about any dog mean if you try. If you get rid of pit bulls the losers will just pick another breed. Wait til all the little dickheads are walking around with 100+ pound pissed off rottweilers.

The rottweilers are a ruined breed. You can find some really good breeders out there, but most rottweillers have lots of problems. I guess the same could be said for pit bulls (American Bulldog) or any other breed. Sad some people push breeding animals for a buck, not a consistent and high quality continuation of whatever breed.

BTW, my wife's family had the sweetest and nicest rottweiller I have ever known. They had good discipline and the dog respected the household. But, that was one big dog and strong dog and could be dangerous if it was allowed to be.

SoonerofAlabama
5/22/2011, 11:58 AM
Dog fighting has just given pit bulls and other dogs bad reputations. These things are beaten until they are aggressive as possible. Then they are placed into a ring with another thing just as angry. But as long as there is money out there to be made, these people will continue to do it.

Sooner_Tuf
5/22/2011, 01:34 PM

Yes loaded guns, pit bulls, driving, Interstate Highways, red meat, butter, white bread, french fries, yellow cheese, airplanes, and drinking are safe. Uninformed do-gooders are dangerous.