PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe the Pac 12 deal hasn't been discussed yet!

IndySooner
5/4/2011, 12:55 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/sports/04sandomir.html

Makes the Big 12 look like chump change. Seriously, we need to bolt and fast! I read somewhere that the Pac 12 has an option in this contract that allows them to add the "Texas" teams to get to 16. I would imagine that would include us, but who knows? Maybe we lost our window of opportunity?

MeMyself&Me
5/4/2011, 01:21 PM
Now that Utah is there, someone can't come along which would set up some political problems. I don't think tejas would go without aTm so that only leaves osu and tech as the options to stay behind. I think there would be considerable political problems with that.

Add that Texas now has no motivation to go anywhere with their espin deal.

fwsooner22
5/4/2011, 01:24 PM
Let's see they have 6 of the top 25 TV markets. We have 1. It's not that hard to figure.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Doged
5/4/2011, 02:58 PM
Nice TV deal, but not a conference I was ever interested in us moving to. I'd rather the Big 12 stay in business.

Soonerfan88
5/4/2011, 04:10 PM
I didn't read the article. Is Fox getting the #1 choice of Pac-16 games or #3/4 like they are from the Big 12? That can make a huge difference in price structure.

IndySooner
5/4/2011, 04:15 PM
Under the new deal, the conference’s football games will be shown on ABC and Fox — a combined five will be in prime time each season — and on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and FX.

Basketball will be shown on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and Fox Sports Net. ESPN will also carry a package of Olympic sports.

ESPN and Fox will also rotate the conference’s annual football championship game, and the basketball tournament will alternate among the ESPN networks, and Fox and FX. The Pac-10’s new channel will carry at least 350 sports events. The conference is also creating a digital channel, like ESPN3, to carry at least 500 events annually, and a properties division to handle sponsorships.

soonerguild
5/4/2011, 09:05 PM
The reason our conference deal is smaller is because the deal we just signed with fox is for 2nd tier games. the pac-12 just signed a new deal for the 1st and 2nd tier games with fox and espn alternating. Our 1st tier games are still under an older espn/abc contract that will increase drastically when it is redone.

Soonerfan88
5/4/2011, 10:08 PM
The Pacific-10 Conference will start its own network on cable television in 2012, but will also sell most of its marquee football and basketball games to Fox and ESPN for about $3 billion over 12 years, more than quadrupling what the two companies have been paying.

So the $25M/year is for both football and basketball and they don't say which of ESPN or FOX gets first choice of game. Add in their larger population base bringing in more ad revenue. Overall, doesn't seem too out of line.

BlackwellSooner
5/4/2011, 10:10 PM
The reason our conference deal is smaller is because the deal we just signed with fox is for 2nd tier games. the pac-12 just signed a new deal for the 1st and 2nd tier games with fox and espn alternating. Our 1st tier games are still under an older espn/abc contract that will increase drastically when it is redone.

What he said! ^^^^^

Also:

It is a game of leap-frog

Dallasnews.com
Published 03 May 2011

Comparing the TV rights deals negotiated by the Pac-10 (soon to be Pac-12) and the Big 12:

Pac-10: The 12-year deal will be worth about $3 billion, according to figures first reported by The New York Times. That’s $250 million per year, or $21 million annually per school. The agreement with ESPN/ABC and Fox involves both the first-tier rights (broadcast TV) and second-tier rights (cable), one reason for the eye- catching amount.

Big 12: The new Big 12 deal involves only second-tier rights (cable on Fox), hence the smaller number of $1.17 billion. That’s $90 million annually for 13 years, or an average of $9 million per school. The first-tier rights, held by ABC/ESPN and worth $80 million annually, don’t expire until after the 2015 football season. Expect the Big 12 to more than double or triple that in the next round of negotiations. Conceivably, the Big 12 could equal or surpass the annual total of the Pac-10.

Jason
5/4/2011, 10:20 PM
Let's see they have 6 of the top 25 TV markets. We have 1. It's not that hard to figure.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Los Angeles
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
Phoenix
Seattle-Tacoma
Denver
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
Portland, OR

vs.

Dallas-Ft. Worth
Houston
St. Louis

But, your point is well taken.

sendbaht
5/5/2011, 03:46 AM
I'm ready for the pac 16 anytime you all are. That would be very cool I think.

IndySooner
5/5/2011, 10:50 AM
I thought Larry Scott's comment about expansion was VERY telling yesterday, essentially saying that expansion is not over and that the Pac 12 is now a very good option for schools.

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the Big 12 is going to survive.

MeMyself&Me
5/5/2011, 11:07 AM
I think at this point, it would be better for Tejas to be independent rather than in the pac since the pac would want equal revenue sharing. Without Tejas, I'm not sure they'd want everyone else that was a part of that deal. They'd probably be happy to take OU but I don't think that would be such a good deal for OU to do all by itself or even with OSU. I really liked the deal as it was last year with the core of the south division plus Colorado going to the pac but I think that's pretty much a dead option now that Utah is in the pac and Tejas has it's own TV deal. If the Big 12 fails, I'm sure the SEC will be happy to take OU and that's where we'll fall and that's not a bad option either... unless you're Tech, OSU, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, or Iowa State.

usaosooner
5/5/2011, 11:16 AM
Nice TV deal, but not a conference I was ever interested in us moving to. I'd rather the Big 12 stay in business.

I'll disagree. Maybe if you were raised on the Big 8 days but this round robin stuff is for the old timers. There isn't a good "destination" roady in this league

Mr. Nuke
5/5/2011, 03:24 PM
The reason our conference deal is smaller is because the deal we just signed with fox is for 2nd tier games. the pac-12 just signed a new deal for the 1st and 2nd tier games with fox and espn alternating.
Yep it isn't an apples to apples comparison at all. That said there are some reasons to thing the Big 12-2 might not completely catch the Pac 12 with the primary rights contract.

Our 1st tier games are still under an older espn/abc contract that will increase drastically when it is redone.

Yeah they'll go up, it is just a question of how much. Some of the things that could be a limiting factor though... 1) I think the inventory for the primary rights contract decreases. ABC currently has 18 games. The league lost two teams. For comparison the Pac-12's new deal only includes 10 ABC/FOX games out of 44 overall televised contests. For comparison the Big 12 just signed a deal with Fox Sports for 40+ games for them alone. I realize the Pac-12 is holding back inventory for a network, but especially if schools in the Big XII decide they want their own rights to one game a year, there will need to be a reduction in games covered. 2) the Conference lost a championship game. Based on the open market options for the Big Ten $23 million and the Pac-12 $14.5 million those games appear to be in pretty high demand now.

Everyone is going to come out ahead of where they are right now, but the question is by how much.

SoonerofAlabama
5/6/2011, 11:53 PM
I don't know if the Big XII is supposed to be improving or not, but I just don't see it lasting without it reaching out to other teams very soon. Ohterwise, it will end up being divided and becoming another Big East.

MeMyself&Me
5/7/2011, 06:24 AM
I don't know if the Big XII is supposed to be improving or not, but I just don't see it lasting without it reaching out to other teams very soon. Ohterwise, it will end up being divided and becoming another Big East.

That's how I see it but after seeing that Nebraska went to the Big 10, I'm not worried about what would happen to OU if the Big 12 were to fail. OU would land somewhere.

SoonerinSouthlake
5/7/2011, 10:07 AM
I was really bummed when that Pac-16 thing fell through. I thougth it wouldve been really great! I hope the door is still open on that deal.

MeMyself&Me
5/7/2011, 03:00 PM
I was really bummed when that Pac-16 thing fell through. I thougth it wouldve been really great! I hope the door is still open on that deal.

You'd have to find a way to appease politicians with ties to either Tech or OSU cause one of the two couldn't go now AND you'd have to convince Tejas that forgoing it's own network in favor of a conference network is a good idea.

If you could do that, I'm sure the pac would be happy to open that door.

Soonerman82
5/8/2011, 05:40 PM
Don't politicians with osu ties outnumber the politicians with OU ties in OKC?

MeMyself&Me
5/8/2011, 10:20 PM
Don't politicians with osu ties outnumber the politicians with OU ties in OKC?

If so, that would make it difficult to leave osu behind if the pac deal came up again. i think i heard back when this deal was going on that tech had a bunch of pull in the texas gov so it would be difficult to pull away from tech too. I think the pac deal is all dried up at this point.

IF the big 12 dies, the remnants will either join with the big east OR texas will be indy, ou and atm will go sec, missouri will finally be in the big 10, kansas will go big east, and the rest will be scrambling for table scraps. i think that kind of caos will nulify osu and tech's gov ties.

I still think the big 12's best option for long term survival is giving notra dame an either/or option by telling them we'll take them on their terms or we'll go after large market teams from the big east... not a lot great teams there but there are a lot of large markets.