PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas can fire ESPN talent

SoCal
5/4/2011, 10:26 AM
http://benmaller.com/2011/05/university-of-texas-can-fire-espn-talent/

You better not say anything bad about the Texas Longhorns if you get hired to work on the Longhorn Network. Its fair to say the cable channel won’t be fair and balanced when it comes to its coverage. The AUSTIN-AMERICAN STATESMAN reports that the school will have the right to fire broadcasters hired by ESPN for the new regional cable network.

According to the contract, “in the event that UT reasonably determines that any on-air talent does not reflect the quality and reputation desired by UT for the Network based on inappropriate statements made or actions taken by such talent and so notifies ESPN, ESPN will cause such talent to be promptly replaced (and will in any event no longer allow them on air following such notice).”

Wonder if the ESPN broadcasters will wear Longhorn cheerleader outfits when they get go on camera.

SoonerofAlabama
5/4/2011, 10:27 AM
That sounds like mob code for we're going to kill you if you say O or U.

badger
5/4/2011, 10:28 AM
It'll be like listening to an OKC Thunder game on the radio. :rolleyes:

What's that? That call was bad because it went against the Thunder? It's so unfair compared to the calls that the opponent receives? Again? Just like last game and the one before that? :rolleyes:

oudavid1
5/4/2011, 10:29 AM
It'll be like listening to an OKC Thunder game on the radio. :rolleyes:

What's that? That call was bad because it went against the Thunder? It's so unfair compared to the calls that the opponent receives? Again? Just like last game and the one before that? :rolleyes:

The hometown guys can be homers ya know. I mean they do live here in all.

rekamrettuB
5/4/2011, 10:43 AM
Well, unless I'm a Texas fan I would not want to be hired by that network.

fwsooner22
5/4/2011, 10:49 AM
What did we expect.......It will be the same for the Sooner network.

MsProudSooner
5/4/2011, 11:05 AM
Ya'll know how sensitive those Texas fans are. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings....

badger
5/4/2011, 11:51 AM
Ya'll know how sensitive those Texas fans are. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings....

ESPN: Texas quarterback Gilbert may not be the best quarterback

Whorns: :mad:

ESPN: ... in Texas history compared to the likes of Colt McCoy!

Whorns: :texan:

ESPN: But Colt McCoy has been lousy...

ESPN: ...only because he's on a lousy NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, which he is sure to lead to multiple Super Bowl victories in the near future!

ESPN: But we must say something bad about Vince Young.

ESPN: He could have easily won the Heisman, another national championship and many more accolades if only he stayed his senior season at the greatest university in the world, the University of...

ESPN: Oklahoma

ESPN: SUCKS! hahahahhaha, UT is the greatest!

Whorns: :mack:

Jacie
5/4/2011, 03:54 PM
What did we expect.......It will be the same for the Sooner network.

I guess you never actually listened to Merv & Bob on the Sooner Football Network. They may be calling the game for the good guys, but they will jump all over a bad play or poor execution, especially Merv. For my part, sometimes having to rely solely on the radio to keep up with a game as it is being played, I kinda like hearing what is going on rather than listening to a cheerleader . . .

Sooner11JK
5/4/2011, 05:10 PM
I guess you never actually listened to Merv & Bob on the Sooner Football Network. They may be calling the game for the good guys, but they will jump all over a bad play or poor execution, especially Merv. For my part, sometimes having to rely solely on the radio to keep up with a game as it is being played, I kinda like hearing what is going on rather than listening to a cheerleader . . .

The only problem was, over the last few years, if you were listening you had NO idea what was going on.....

Jacie
5/4/2011, 06:56 PM
The only problem was, over the last few years, if you were listening you had NO idea what was going on.....

I agree with that but it wasn't because they were being blatant homers . . .

A Sooner in Texas
5/4/2011, 07:37 PM
ESPN: Texas quarterback Gilbert may not be the best quarterback

ESPN: ... in Texas history compared to the likes of Colt McCoy!

ESPN: But Colt McCoy has been lousy...

ESPN: ...only because he's on a lousy NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, which he is sure to lead to multiple Super Bowl victories in the near future!

ESPN: But we must say something bad about Vince Young.

ESPN: He could have easily won the Heisman, another national championship and many more accolades if only he stayed his senior season at the greatest university in the world, the University of...

ESPN: Oklahoma

ESPN: SUCKS! hahahahhaha, UT is the greatest!

Whorns: :mack:

:D

But we really need a "But, but we're Texas" emoticon.

Sooner Cal
5/4/2011, 08:47 PM
This is America today. It's all about spin, the image someone wants, truthful or not. Lawyers and public relations professionals are to blame for all of this.

The only test is whether UT officials reasonably conclude. It would be a Texas jury that decides if UT was being reasonable in making the conclusion.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/5/2011, 10:33 AM
This is America today. It's all about spin, the image someone wants, truthful or not. Lawyers and public relations professionals are to blame for all of this.

The only test is whether UT officials reasonably conclude. It would be a Texas jury that decides if UT was being reasonable in making the conclusion.

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers

Taxman71
5/5/2011, 10:36 AM
Now we know where Mark Rogers will resurface.

LakeRat
5/5/2011, 11:14 AM
I hope our guys are homers. There has to be some realistic view. For instance "What was Bob doing punting while down two scores with 3 minutes left." But in reality, I want them to be cheer leaders of our guys.