PDA

View Full Version : I have a question for Sooners of the world.

SoonerofAlabama
5/3/2011, 10:48 PM
Do you care if an Oklahoma Sooner fan is a graduate of Oklahoma or not? I don't know how to set up a poll, but I thought I would ask. It seems to me the Pokes are very specific about who their fans are, but I just wanted to know. Please tell me your thoughts.:confused:

Memtig14
5/3/2011, 11:02 PM
No

CrimsonRez
5/4/2011, 12:10 AM
nope, they're just jealous they can't fill up their stadium, so that is how they justify it.

yermom
5/4/2011, 12:15 AM
the difference is you'd need some reason like graduating from OSU to be a fan, unless you are a little touched ;)

olevetonahill
5/4/2011, 12:20 AM
Discussed in depth in this thread.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60740

Sooner_Tuf
5/4/2011, 01:10 AM
As long as you yell Sooners at the end of the National Anthem....I don't care about anything else, You're OK in my book. ;)

oudavid1
5/4/2011, 08:12 AM
I got into OU, and then turned it down.

Boo yah.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/4/2011, 08:14 AM
Do you care if an Oklahoma Sooner fan is a graduate of Oklahoma or not? I don't know how to set up a poll, but I thought I would ask. It seems to me the Pokes are very specific about who their fans are, but I just wanted to know. Please tell me your thoughts.:confused:

Rule #1: Don't give a f*ck about what those stupid pokes say.

Soonerfan88
5/4/2011, 08:19 AM
Couldn't care less - took a few classes at OU but my degree is from elsewhere.

You can be a fan for any number of reasons, no matter where you live or attended school. Trying to limit your fanbase is definitely an aggy thing to do.

Crimsontothecore
5/4/2011, 08:27 AM
This has always been one of the funnier things choke fans use against OU. They like to boast that most of their fan base is made up of osu graduates while OU's is not. The reality is that there is absolutely no reason a person would be a fan of osu unless you are an alum. Make no mistake, osu would welcome anyone and everyone who would wear their colors and help fill their little stadium regardless of where they went to school. To say otherwise is pure lunacy. I've often wondered how you would apply their line of reasoning to professional sports. Since (according to them) living in the state isn't enough to qualify you as a fan of a particular school, how does one justify being a fan of a pro team? Can you not be a "real" fan of the Thunder by simply residing in OKC or anywhere else in the state? Must you be employed by the organization?

salth2o
5/4/2011, 08:41 AM
I have never set foot on the OU campus as a student, but I have been a longtime donor and lifelong fan. I had my school paid for at another institution and was smart enough to not turn down a free college education.

yermom
5/4/2011, 08:48 AM

Boo yah.

you call yourself a UT fan so your argument is invalid

SOFSooner
5/4/2011, 08:57 AM
I have a degree from another university in Oklahoma, but have always been a huge Sooner fan and follow them where ever I am in the world on deployments. Should not matter if you are a graduate of OU or not. Boomer Sooner.

bonkuba
5/4/2011, 09:04 AM
I graduated from ECU and have been an OU fan all my life......never will change. The scholly I got for band went further at ECU than it did at OU....simple economics.

There have been many, many threads on this over the years......usually the folks that claim you cannot be a fan without going to the school are....well......aggie at best. They try to dream up some kinda cool kids club to make up for the lack of fanbase....they cannot see that they just plain suck and no one really wants to be a fan :D :D

Spray
5/4/2011, 09:12 AM
It's not OSU fans in general who care about something like this. It's morons who care.

lexsooner
5/4/2011, 09:39 AM

OU football is the state team of interest due to our success, so the vast majority of OU fans are not OU grads. That's how it is when you are a big winner, so I say the more fans the merrier, and I don't care if or where they went to school. OSU probably has more grads in the state than OU, but their fan base is smaller and their success in football has been much less than OU's. Those Pokes probably care a lot more about whether you went there or not. Quite simply, if you did not go there, why would you care about I'm A Man and company?

TheLadiesMike
5/4/2011, 09:46 AM
I'm an OU alum and do not care if any other fan went to the school. In fact, I am out of state and like seeing OU bumper stickers or clothes and I am guessing those people did not go to the school. Also, it's such a funny standard that the jokes invented. What if someone went there for two years, does that count? Or do they need to actually get a degree?

auto
5/4/2011, 09:48 AM
the difference is you'd need some reason like graduating from OSU to be a fan, unless you are a little touched ;)

Hell I graduated from OSU and have never been a fan of those sheephumpers.:D :D

olevetonahill
5/4/2011, 09:53 AM
Hell I graduated from OSU and have never been a fan of those sheephumpers.:D :D

Theres just some things Id never admit to.:eek:

auto
5/4/2011, 09:55 AM
Theres just some things Id never admit to.:eek:

Thought I wanted to mow lawns for a living (LA) and enrolled. Took some classes at OU, changed majors, did not want to change schools at that point.

I did not grow up in OK, therefore did not understand the hatred/stupidity of the Sheephumpers.

Let's put it this way, I flew from the most northern state in the nation to attend OU Football and Basketball camps as a kid.:D

rock on sooner
5/4/2011, 10:03 AM
I had an academic scholly to OU but couldn't afford room and board..Joined
the AF then went to East Central in Ada on the GI bill after discharge but never stopped loving the Sooners. Doesn't matter where a fan goes to school.

The Maestro
5/4/2011, 10:09 AM
Did Adrian Peterson graduate from OU?

Then I'm okay.

oudavid1
5/4/2011, 10:19 AM
you call yourself a UT fan so your argument is invalid

i got in their too. OU, UTenn, Memphis, and OSU all accepted me.

badger
5/4/2011, 10:23 AM
As long as the non-grads don't embarrass us :D

When I heard that a death row guy said "boomer sooner" as his departing words, I could have done without that :mad:

oudavid1
5/4/2011, 10:31 AM

When I heard that a death row guy said "boomer sooner" as his departing words, I could have done without that :mad:

eh, who cares. Anyone who gets embarrassed my other fans is thinking the wrong way.

rekamrettuB
5/4/2011, 10:42 AM

You sure that guy didn't graduate from OU? :D Heck it's better than the tree killer's radio call "ROLL DAMN TIDE!!"

oudanny
5/4/2011, 10:59 AM
Nope, don't care. It's a free country.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/4/2011, 11:00 AM
Did Adrian Peterson graduate from OU?

Then I'm okay.

He's not a fan either, so he doesn't count! :D

Crimsontothecore
5/4/2011, 11:04 AM

Well, as the saying goes "Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I fry I'll be sooner dead"

The Maestro
5/4/2011, 11:12 AM

You mean the folks in jorts or with a schooner hat on their head?

I find a lot of OU fans embarrassing...but I find the general population embarrassing too so it works out.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/4/2011, 11:16 AM
I find a lot of OU fans embarrassing...but I find the general population embarrassing too so it works out.

Truer words have never been spoken

GDC
5/4/2011, 11:25 AM
I wonder if the sooner fan who ripped the balls off a Texas fan was an alum?

deweydw
5/4/2011, 11:40 AM
My second cousin graduated from OU. My Uncle and his two kids graduated from OU. And my niece graduated from OU. I did not go to OU. But have been a fan most my life.

You mean the folks in jorts or with a schooner hat on their head?

I gotta get me one of them. :cool:

bixby28
5/4/2011, 11:41 AM
I lived in Norman for a while. Does that count ?

PDXsooner
5/4/2011, 11:46 AM
If so, someone better inform every kid under the age of 18 to immediately stop rooting for the Sooners.

Also, anyone who says they're a fan of Team X "and have been my whole life" would be disqualified from being a legit fan until they were technically enrolled. None of their rooting interests as kids will be officially acknowleged.

deweydw
5/4/2011, 11:56 AM
Also, anyone who says they're a fan of Team X "and have been my whole life" would be disqualified from being a legit fan until they were technically enrolled. None of their rooting interests as kids will be officially acknowleged.

That's why I said "most my life". ;)

70sooner
5/4/2011, 11:57 AM
Do you care if an Oklahoma Sooner fan is a graduate of Oklahoma or not? I don't know how to set up a poll, but I thought I would ask. It seems to me the Pokes are very specific about who their fans are, but I just wanted to know. Please tell me your thoughts

thats like trying to equate the the number of posts on a board into what kind of fan you are....

yermom
5/4/2011, 12:13 PM
what were we talking about?

oudavid1
5/4/2011, 12:48 PM
wait wait wait I was in enrolled OU so does that mean I'm technically a fan? I mean I just switched to you see oh before the semester started

sooner518
5/4/2011, 01:01 PM
who cares. i grew up an OU fan, graduated from there and am a 4th generation OU grad. Im just as justified in rooting for OU as some random dude who's never been to Norman. OSU fans say that crap because they know that objectively speaking, no one would ever choose to cheer for OSU unless they actually went to school there. like most things OSU fans do, its pretty pathetic

SoonerAtKU
5/4/2011, 01:12 PM
Seriously, people go to school or not all over the country and world for a thousand reasons. You're a Sooner if you choose to be, end of story.

That being said, there are obviously times when a fellow fan has caused me to hang my head in shame. I'm sure every decent fan of any team has experienced that, though.

Cornfed
5/4/2011, 01:15 PM
I never attended OU, but I could care less what the lOSUrs think.

yermom
5/4/2011, 01:38 PM
Seriously, people go to school or not all over the country and world for a thousand reasons. You're a Sooner if you choose to be, end of story.

That being said, there are obviously times when a fellow fan has caused me to hang my head in shame. I'm sure every decent fan of any team has experienced that, though.

i'll accept this since i know you at least went to OU for a while :D

SoonerAtKU
5/4/2011, 02:04 PM
i'll accept this since i know you at least went to OU for a while :D

Hey, you too, pal!

=)

Bourbon St Sooner
5/4/2011, 02:21 PM
Do we have to have this thread every post season?

tator
5/4/2011, 02:23 PM
Do we have to have this thread every post season?
Do you guys know where I can find a Boomer Sooner ring tone?

MyT Oklahoma
5/5/2011, 07:01 PM
Meanwhile.. back in Pakistan.. "Allahu Akbar" anyone? :D

Soonerjeepman
5/6/2011, 09:29 AM

yup...didn't go there...again, like most...economics and didn't even really think about that considering I lived in KS and had to pay for my own school....just wasn't savy...could have used my grandparents/aunts/uncles addresses...

The one embarrassing thing I hear (even at local watch party games in bars) is when there is a flag some folks (actual alum) yell "cheaters"...really? at a bar? I love OU sports and have been a fan for over 35yrs...but after OU's past..can we NOT yell "cheaters"...

rant over...

diegosooner
5/6/2011, 09:42 AM

Boo yah.

FIFY

Sooner_Tuf
5/6/2011, 10:25 AM
OSU fans like to say a larger percentage of their fans are alums but I doubt that little stat is true. I suppose it could be true of the fans that attend games in Stillwater.

But it is not true if you drive around the state and look at who is wearing their gear. Western Oklahoma is full of prison orange t-shirts and caps on people that probably didn't make it out of high school.

I saw a guy the other day that had a brand new bright orange leather vest with long fringe on it. Sure enough on the back was a big oSu logo. Oh I might add he wasn't wearing a shirt and looked like an addict of some kind. Pretty good bet this fan didn't attend any University. But I see them all the time.

I think the allure is the us against them mentality. They have more woe is me fans than anyone I have ever seen. They have more excuses for sucking than any group I have ever seen. They are the we can't do it people and it is always someone else's fault.

Honestly I don't have a problem with the school but their fan base is terrible. I guess we can be thankful that they keep those type of people away from us for the most part.

auto
5/6/2011, 10:44 AM
I think the allure is the us against them mentality. They have more woe is me fans than anyone I have ever seen. They have more excuses for sucking than any group I have ever seen. They are the we can't do it people and it is always someone else's fault.

Honestly I don't have a problem with the school but their fan base is terrible. I guess we can be thankful that they keep those type of people away from us for the most part.

Pretty much this right here. All but one of my classmates is like this, he will even come tailgate in Norman and wear his OU Rugby shirt.:D

swardboy
5/6/2011, 12:58 PM
Stoolwater will never have the allure of a cripple fight....

rs.soonerfans
5/6/2011, 12:59 PM
no

WichitaSooner
5/6/2011, 01:15 PM
i got in their too. OU, UTenn, Memphis, and OSU all accepted me.

All these schools want you, yet you don't even know how to correctly use the word "their."

Can you spell irony?

JLEW1818
5/6/2011, 01:33 PM
hey hey, i suck worse at grammar

mightysooner
5/6/2011, 06:52 PM
OSU can't generate any fanbase outside of current and former students so they can crow about that all they want. What it really means is they have no appeal outside their current and former alumni circles. Oklahoma has fans nationwide that aren't even Oklahomans much less ever even been to the state. OSU does not. That's not a good thing and that's why their stadium is always half empty. If they were a corporation they would've gone out of business a long time ago.

agoo758
5/6/2011, 08:29 PM
Do you care if an Oklahoma Sooner fan is a graduate of Oklahoma or not?

I sure as hell hope not, I am a Northwestern State grad as of yesterday.

Whet
5/6/2011, 09:07 PM
congratulations agoo758!

SoonerofAlabama
5/6/2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I just thought it was an interesting question that deserved to be on this thread (at least in the offseason).

texaspokieokie
5/7/2011, 07:59 AM
All these schools want you, yet you don't even know how to correctly use the word "their."

Can you spell irony?

Well, he's obviously not an english major. he has tho, done 1/3 of his class work, in only 2 semesters.