PDA

View Full Version : Boise St. - Lack of Institutional Control Charges

ATX Sooner
5/3/2011, 01:01 PM
Didn't see this already posted...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6471288

Dio
5/3/2011, 01:06 PM
In all, the NCAA found the total value of impermissible benefits over five years was $4,934

You noobs suck at cheating.

Whet
5/3/2011, 01:11 PM
My, my! I guess they are a little blue in the face over these charges!

badger
5/3/2011, 01:11 PM
Boise State: Boo hoo, another example of the NCAA going after programs that they don't think should be awesome. Keeping the little guy down! :(

:D

Mad Dog Madsen
5/3/2011, 01:17 PM
Groovy... :cool:

Mississippi Sooner
5/3/2011, 01:19 PM
I'd like to suggest a punishment. The talking heads on ESPN aren't allowed to mention them for one year.

Whet
5/3/2011, 01:22 PM
and, they change the color of their turf the mauve!

NMSooner'80
5/3/2011, 01:26 PM
I'd like to suggest a punishment. The talking heads on ESPN aren't allowed to mention them for one year.

I think they'd have a group head-implosion at ESPN if they couldn't bring up the Fiasco Bowl. I'm sure they still think that was a bigger upset than Appalachian State @ Michigan was about three years ago.

MiccoMacey
5/3/2011, 01:30 PM
Cool...let their AD be suspended for five games...next year.

LakeRat
5/3/2011, 01:41 PM
This sure doesn't seem to be a major offense. A $2 mistake? Sure hope they didn't have to pay a fee on the bounced check.

tfoolry
5/3/2011, 01:42 PM
Bunch of cheaters. :D

EatLeadCommie
5/3/2011, 01:53 PM
Why did they cite them for LOIC for that? Must be a case of it not being the $, but the compliance process being bad.

Sooner_Tuf
5/3/2011, 02:04 PM
umm they had a player competing that was not enrolled in the school. That is pretty blatant by any standard.

BoomerJack
5/3/2011, 02:21 PM
Dio Said:

"In all, the NCAA found the total value of impermissible benefits over five years was $4,934"

"You noobs suck at cheating."

My thoughts exactly! Averaging less than $1,000/year. And these guys wanna run with the big dogs in the big BCS conferences. They might as well stay under the porch.

BoulderSooner79
5/3/2011, 02:32 PM
Dio Said:

"In all, the NCAA found the total value of impermissible benefits over five years was $4,934"

"You noobs suck at cheating."

My thoughts exactly! Averaging less than $1,000/year. And these guys wanna run with the big dogs in the big BCS conferences. They might as well stay under the porch.

Cam Newton wouldn't bother to bend down and pick up that much $$ if he dropped it. But as someone else posted, playing an ineligible player is a big deal.

SoonerofAlabama
5/3/2011, 02:37 PM
NCAA is cracking down on teams these days... maybe i shouldn't have said that

BigJerm7
5/3/2011, 03:14 PM
LOIC was for Women's Tennis. Move along, nothing to see here.

SoonerNomad
5/3/2011, 04:02 PM
It's been a horrible offseason for college football. Even Cinderella has cut her foot on the glass slipper.

Mongo
5/3/2011, 04:34 PM
goes back five years? so the Fiesta bowl is vacated?

Sooner_Tuf
5/3/2011, 04:40 PM
LOIC was for Women's Tennis. Move along, nothing to see here.

No that is wrong. Playing someone that was not enrolled in the school in women's tennis was a major infraction. LOIC is for having a number of violations in several different programs. In other words the University is not overseeing their programs properly.

Yes there is something to see here. Which of course is why it drew attention and is in the news.

badger
5/3/2011, 04:43 PM
I just created this in honor of that:
http://gickr.com/results4/anim_fb10e745-32ec-8b14-0dc1-30ed22654906.gif

prrriiide
5/3/2011, 04:56 PM

Not for a secondary violation.

Just a case of people in stepping-stone positions learning the job the hard way before they move on to civilization.

Mongo
5/3/2011, 05:02 PM
Not for a secondary violation.

Just a case of people in stepping-stone positions learning the job the hard way before they move on to civilization.

way to **** on my parade

picasso
5/3/2011, 05:34 PM
You noobs suck at cheating.

I thought it was per player?

85sooners
5/4/2011, 03:15 AM
****em

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/4/2011, 03:28 AM
This will really show Ohio St!!!

BigJerm7
5/4/2011, 03:31 PM
No that is wrong. Playing someone that was not enrolled in the school in women's tennis was a major infraction. LOIC is for having a number of violations in several different programs. In other words the University is not overseeing their programs properly.

Yes there is something to see here. Which of course is why it drew attention and is in the news.

Maybe you should take it to the Women's Tennis forum then.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

mgsooner
5/4/2011, 03:45 PM
Why the hell would you care enough about women's tennis (or tennis in general, for that matter) to cheat?

badger
5/4/2011, 03:47 PM
Because potato.
http://www.foodchannel.com/files/0000/7150/IPC_image_1.php_medium.jpeg

Sooner_Tuf
5/4/2011, 08:34 PM
Maybe you should take it to the Women's Tennis forum then.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

Well Jerm did you see the sanctions Boise State offered to self-impose to get the NCAA off their back on "this nothing to see here" issue?

LOIC may be a mole hill to you but the rest of world with double digit IQ's, including the Boise State Administration, understand it is a pretty big deal.

soonercastor
5/5/2011, 08:09 PM
The NCAA is a joke.

BigJerm7
5/6/2011, 08:10 AM
Well Jerm did you see the sanctions Boise State offered to self-impose to get the NCAA off their back on "this nothing to see here" issue?

LOIC may be a mole hill to you but the rest of world with double digit IQ's, including the Boise State Administration, understand it is a pretty big deal.

Sorry man. My reading comprehension skills ain't that good. I thought I read in the article that the MAJOR violations were in women's tennis, and the secondary violations were in football, with the benefits ranging from $2 to $417. Maybe I should crap my pants over that like you seem to be doing. I guess we should compare this "LOIC" to the same one that the NCAA imposed on OU back in the day huh?

Soonerjeepman
5/6/2011, 09:18 AM
lol..how in heck does one compete on a UNIVERSITY team and isn't even in school.....LOL...that is funny...

Sooner_Tuf
5/6/2011, 10:36 AM
Sorry man. My reading comprehension skills ain't that good. I thought I read in the article that the MAJOR violations were in women's tennis, and the secondary violations were in football, with the benefits ranging from $2 to $417. Maybe I should crap my pants over that like you seem to be doing. I guess we should compare this "LOIC" to the same one that the NCAA imposed on OU back in the day huh?

I guess if those are your only two options in life - learning to comprehend or crapping your pants. I would advise you to learn to read or STFU. I see you have chosen to crap your pants.

If you are a stoner you might not see the problem with someone getting caught with a truckload of weed. But that doesn't change the situation the guy that got caught with it is in. Same thing here, you don't see the problem therefore it is not a problem to you. In reality it is a problem to the governing body and it is a pretty big problem. The punishment could really set them back a number of years which has the possibility of making them start over on a national scale.

Maybe you should call Boise and tell them not worry about this because you got their back. Stupid is as stupid does.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/6/2011, 02:57 PM
Tell me that if this would have happened to Florida, Ohio St, or Alabama football teams that they would have received any type of punishment. They would suspend the kids for 2 games (against Popcorn St. and Azzcrackistan U.) make them repay the 2 to 417 dollars and be on their merry ways. To me, Boise St. is taking the punishment for Ohio St. The NCAA doesn't want to hammer Ohio St. So they nail Boise on pointless things that are mostly just minor screwups. To use your analogy. This is like busting a guy with a truck load full of weed and giving him community service and a busting a guy with a joint and giving him 3 to 5 years.

Sooner_Tuf
5/6/2011, 04:33 PM
The NCAA hasn't done anything to Boise State. Boise State is offering to self impose those sanctions on their teams. The football violations are minor violations, LOIC is for the major violation in women's tennis + the other minor violations. Also I think it is not the dollar amounts that are egregious it is the number of times the rules were violated. Plus the fact the violations were not limited to one or two sports.

I can't address the other question but Ohio State just had most of their stars suspended for five games. Their Head Coach is also suspended. The NCAA is even't finished with them yet. I guess we'll see when it is all finished but so far it doesnt look like they are getting off light.

USC, while it took forever, certainly didn't get off light. I don't understand why the process takes as long as it does sometimes but generally when the NCAA goes after someone they get hammered as bad as the proof allows for.

The Auburn situation is a bit puzzling to me and I think it was frustrating to the NCAA themselves. I would imagine that loophole gets closed. I think the SEC themselves already changed their rules to disallow a player in Cam Newton's situation.

In reality using your example of my analogy would be like giving a guy with a truckload of weed community service and a guy with a joint offering a plea in which he would go to jail for 3-5 years.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/6/2011, 04:46 PM
The NCAA is a joke.

+1

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/7/2011, 03:54 AM
When they take away Ohio St's bowl chances and revoke some of their scholarships, I will agree

Collier11
5/7/2011, 02:59 PM
this is retarded

BigJerm7
5/9/2011, 08:35 AM
this is retarded

Just like me, according to Sooner Fluf. He'll tell you to STFU if you don't agree.

MiccoMacey
5/9/2011, 10:13 AM
The NCAA hasn't done anything to Boise State. Boise State is offering to self impose those sanctions on their teams. The football violations are minor violations, LOIC is for the major violation in women's tennis + the other minor violations. Also I think it is not the dollar amounts that are egregious it is the number of times the rules were violated. Plus the fact the violations were not limited to one or two sports..

To me, that would show that there was an error in the way they were handling business, and not necessarily that they were intentionally cheating.

If it were just one or two instances, or more instances in a major sport, I could see where someone might see it as intentional cheating.

But to me, having the limited knowledge we have right now, it looks like they thought they were doing something that was in compliance but was actually afoul of the law.

JMHO.

RedstickSooner
5/9/2011, 10:44 AM

I'll admit, my human nature leads me to associate the dollar amount of the infraction with the seriousness of the infraction -- but the rules don't seem to run that way. That's why we got screwed when stupid had his no-show job for chicken feed, while even with their stonewalling USC isn't getting the death penalty or anything after Showboat and his family got improper benefits to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Similarly, I doubt Auburn will get the death penalty even though they were outright buying players and player after player after player has come forward to say that the program was dirty from top to bottom with cash payouts from boosters to players a regular, routine, frequent occurrence.

When Auburn comes out of this with nothing more than some scholarship reductions / post-season bans / etc., yet no death penalty, the gloves will come off and every program in the nation will see that if they want to put a crystal football in the trophy case they're welcome to go out and bid on the best crooked players, win with those players, and then sit through a few mediocre seasons as their only cost for victory.

Frankly, I think most programs would be happy with that exchange.

But, to get back to my original message, them rules is the rules. And even an improper benefit with a modest dollar value is an improper benefit -- and can contribute guilt, even to something as major as LOIC. Frankly, it should. If you're running your program right, you won't *have* improper benefits. Large *or* small.

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2011, 01:02 PM
USC got slapped with very severe penalties. I've read quotes from many NCAA observers that they are unlikely to ever impose the death penalty again after what it did to SMU. It doesn't help CFB to wipe a program off the map. If OU got hammered like USC did and had to vacate the '00 title, if would severely damage the program - it wouldn't be a slap on the wrist.

Sooner_Tuf
5/10/2011, 10:23 AM
To me, that would show that there was an error in the way they were handling business, and not necessarily that they were intentionally cheating.

If it were just one or two instances, or more instances in a major sport, I could see where someone might see it as intentional cheating.

But to me, having the limited knowledge we have right now, it looks like they thought they were doing something that was in compliance but was actually afoul of the law.

JMHO.

They played a player that was not enrolled in the school. That is quite an error. "Hey do you go to school here?"

fwsooner22
5/10/2011, 10:30 AM
Give me back my five minutes.

CobraKai
5/10/2011, 10:45 AM
The amount of money is completely and totally irrelevent. Kelvin Sampson did not get us on probation for giving 1 cent to one player or recruit. He made more phone calls than he was allowed, over an extended period of time. Our BB team got hammered because they should have known that these minor violations were happening and obviously didn't (or chose not to do anything about it). Making an additional phone call is minor. Showing a pattern of doing it for a period of time is why we got pounded.