PDA

View Full Version : King James Bible turns 400

oklaclarinet
5/3/2011, 12:00 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this today, but the King James Bible turned 400 - first published May 2, 1611. One of the milestones of the English language.

Okla-homey
5/3/2011, 06:22 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this today, but the King James Bible turned 400 - first published May 2, 1611. One of the milestones of the English language.

I quite agree. And its impact on western civilization continues to be felt today.

I must admit, I do chuckle when some of my uber-fundamentalist brothers insist the 1611 KJV is THE Bible. I myself prefer the NASV.

AggieTool
5/3/2011, 07:49 AM
400 years of fairy tales that kept us from exploring the universe by now...

Yay!

picasso
5/3/2011, 07:52 AM

Yay!

Faeries? You should be in it then.

OrlandoSooner
5/3/2011, 08:44 AM
For those of you that have the YouVersion Bible app on your phone, they are celebrating the KJV turning 400 by offering free downloads of the various versions. I picked up a handful of them so that I can read while offline/out of service.

Sooner98
5/3/2011, 10:06 AM

Yay!

We haven't explored the universe up until now? WTF? :confused:

saucysoonergal
5/3/2011, 10:10 AM
King James was ghey, NTTIAWWT.

oklaclarinet
5/3/2011, 10:15 AM

Yay!

Regardless your religious beliefs, there is no denying the impact of the King James Bible. Many phrases have entered the English vernacular because of this book.

aPCM-zCoklA

Position Limit
5/3/2011, 10:17 AM
there's much better ficition out there to be read.

picasso
5/3/2011, 11:06 AM

And misspell.

My Opinion Matters
5/3/2011, 11:13 AM
We haven't explored the universe up until now? WTF? :confused:

Jesus crashed the Challenger, yo.

StoopTroup
5/3/2011, 11:47 AM
I myself prefer the NASV.

NASB?

or New American Standard Version?

The boy got one of each for 1st Communion this weekend. KJB and the NASB.

tator
5/3/2011, 02:35 PM
I prefer the King LeBron James Version. So insightful.

The
5/3/2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, well, the definitive bible is this:

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.
2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.
3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin.5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1
6 An Ceiling Cat sayed, im in ur waterz makin a ceiling. But he no yet make a ur. An he maded a hole in teh Ceiling.7 An Ceiling Cat doed teh skiez with waterz down An waterz up. It happen.8 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has teh firmmint wich iz funny bibel naim 4 ceiling, so wuz teh twoth day.
9 An Ceiling Cat gotted all teh waterz in ur base, An Ceiling Cat hadz dry placez cuz kittehs DO NOT WANT get wet.10 An Ceiling Cat called no waterz urth and waters oshun. Iz good.
11 An Ceiling Cat sayed, DO WANT grass! so tehr wuz seedz An stufs, An fruitzors An vegbatels. An a Corm. It happen.12 An Ceiling Cat sawed that weedz ish good, so, letz there be weedz.13 An so teh threeth day jazzhands.

(http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page)

Curly Bill
5/3/2011, 02:44 PM
What's wrong with this picture? No JM sighting yet...:confused:

Bourbon St Sooner
5/3/2011, 03:31 PM
My mom got me a KJ Bible as my first Bible. I remember being in Sunday School and the instructor asking me to read a passage. I would read the passage and everybody in the class would look at me like WTF is he reading from? Thanks Mom. Can't you just get me the same fukin Bible that everyone else has?

sooner59
5/3/2011, 03:34 PM
Lebron must be much older than I first thought. And say what you will about "The Decision", but he wrote a long and thought out book!

The Profit
5/3/2011, 04:06 PM
My mom got me a KJ Bible as my first Bible. I remember being in Sunday School and the instructor asking me to read a passage. I would read the passage and everybody in the class would look at me like WTF is he reading from? Thanks Mom. Can't you just get me the same fukin Bible that everyone else has?

:D :D

cccasooner2
5/3/2011, 04:19 PM
NASB?

or New American Standard Version?

The boy got one of each for 1st Communion this weekend. KJB and the NASB.

The B is for Bersion, as in the New American Standard Bersion.

47straight
5/3/2011, 08:29 PM

Did you ever figure out the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution?