PDA

View Full Version : Curious

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 06:29 PM
Let's say you currently live in Tulsa.
Where else on the earth would you rather live other than Tulsa?

I've always wanted to live in Sunset or Haleiwa on Oahu.

Romulus
5/2/2011, 06:31 PM
Lawton

TheHumanAlphabet
5/2/2011, 06:36 PM
Is Tulsa still stuck in the 1960s?

SoCaliSooner
5/2/2011, 06:38 PM
Grand Cayman. I'd import rum and spend my days smoking cigars and dressed a Sonny Crockett.

Lott's Bandana
5/2/2011, 06:40 PM
Norman

Duh.

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 06:44 PM
Is Tulsa still stuck in the 1960s?

I'm not sure. Let's get some perspective from posters who live there.

What say you T-towners?

Lots of good alternatives to Tulsa coming in already!

FTR: I'm not sure who Sonny Crocket is but Grand Cayman sounds like fun.

olevetonahill
5/2/2011, 06:45 PM
If I lived in Tulsa, Id want to live anywhere else.:D

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 06:48 PM
If I lived in Tulsa, Id want to live anywhere else.:D

OUCH! There are lots of potholes, from what I've heard.

SoCaliSooner
5/2/2011, 06:52 PM

http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/cracked/jp/budcop09.jpg

You could be the not as smart jive talkin Tubbs.

yankee
5/2/2011, 06:53 PM

I can think of hundreds of other places I'd rather live than Tulseytown.

soonerchk
5/2/2011, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure. Let's get some perspective from posters who live there.

What say you T-towners?

Lots of good alternatives to Tulsa coming in already!

If you don't know Sonny Crocket, then I have no use for you.

HARUMPH!!

yermom
5/2/2011, 07:16 PM
Norman

Duh.

this :D

thecynic
5/2/2011, 07:27 PM
Virgin Islands. I have a house picked out and everything. It's awesome. I'm not sure my wife will want to go and get all "bohemian" but I'm working on it.

Whet
5/2/2011, 07:31 PM

Think of all the tourists in Haleiwa, but you could try all the shrimp buses, with the shave ice.

I kinda like Kaneohe Bay.

sooner ngintunr
5/2/2011, 07:32 PM
Santa Ynez (Valley) or Wainiha Bay (most anywhere on Kauai).

O'ahu? You must be kidding.

tcrb
5/2/2011, 07:41 PM
If I had the $, I could easily spend the rest of my days on the Isle of Capri.

Spring
5/2/2011, 07:52 PM
Somewhere with no extradition treaty with United States.,.I would **** some shyte up before I bailed. Probably Costa Rica.

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 07:57 PM
Think of all the tourists in Haleiwa, but you could try all the shrimp buses, with the shave ice.

I kinda like Kaneohe Bay.

Good point. I really like he people of laie but no booze wouldnt work for me. Ideally if I could live above waimea bay it would be perfect.

goingoneight
5/2/2011, 08:05 PM
Wow... no "OKC" yet? :D

slackers... :P

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 08:46 PM
Wow... no "OKC" yet? :D

slackers... :P

I'd say Edmond but there's a lot of other places I'd rather live than here. Not Tulsa of course, but other places.

OrlandoSooner
5/2/2011, 09:07 PM
I think Hanelei is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I'd like to find out how long it took me to get bored of the island lifestyle. 50-60 years?

sooner ngintunr
5/2/2011, 09:12 PM
Santa Ynez (Valley) or Wainiha Bay (most anywhere on Kauai).

O'ahu? You must be kidding.

I think Hanelei is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I'd like to find out how long it took me to get bored of the island lifestyle. 50-60 years?

Yep. Just up the road from Wainiha Bay. How crazy are those one way bridges? How about Waimea Canyon? Na Pali Coast? Like nothing I've ever seen. True wonders of the world.

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 09:13 PM

Agreed. I spent 7 summers on Oahu and everyone kept saying if you move there you get island fever and want off the island. I'm not sure I would.

Thaumaturge
5/2/2011, 09:18 PM
tulsa is a leper colony

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 09:20 PM
tulsa is a leper colony

So where would you choose to live? (expect neg spek from Troup for dissing T-town)

And we need closer on your job hunt/moustache life.

sooner ngintunr
5/2/2011, 09:29 PM
Agreed. I spent 7 summers on Oahu and everyone kept saying if you move there you get island fever and want off the island. I'm not sure I would.

You should really check out Kauai.

Oahu couldn't hold Kauai's jock. :D

Thaumaturge
5/2/2011, 09:30 PM
So where would you choose to live? (expect neg spek from Troup for dissing T-town)

And we need closer on your job hunt/moustache life.

I would choose to live in Detroit instead of Tulsa. And not just real life Detroit. I'm talking about horrible dystopian Robocop Detroit.

And I stuck with the mustache. It got me this far after all. I should find out if I was right to do so sometime next week. (It would be someplace with far fewer lepers per capita than Tulsa.)

Jammin'
5/2/2011, 09:32 PM
You should really check out Kauai.

Oahu couldn't hold Kauai's jock. :D

I've heard and wish I could have. I was working on Oahu most of the time I was there so I didn't have much choice. At least I was on the North Shore 90% of the time and not in Honolulu/Waikiki.

I assume either island is better than Tulsa though? Ha.

sooner ngintunr
5/2/2011, 09:48 PM

BudSooner
5/2/2011, 10:08 PM
Pauls Valley, or Deanistan.....i've got some dogs looking for a good home. :D

oudavid1
5/2/2011, 10:10 PM
Arlington, Texas

KuppiKunta
5/3/2011, 08:14 AM
I would move to Glenpool so I could be Chk's neighbor!

Tulsa_Fireman
5/3/2011, 08:31 AM
Tulsa is amazing, you damned heathens. I never realized how amazing until I moved here.

It wouldn't break my heart to live in the gorgeous countryside outside of Frankfurt, Germany, though. In the countryside near a gem like Marktheidenfeld or Rudesheim.

texaspokieokie
5/3/2011, 08:32 AM
i have lived in Tulsa, & would like to live there again.

Places that have great weather & scenery seem great; but you'd miss family & friends. much more than you think.

i do.

maybe cause i'm old.

i have lived in SoCal where the weather was nice, but most all my friends & relatives are gone from there.

dynersooner
5/3/2011, 08:40 AM
how could you people pass up Bixby?

its practically the Clermont-Ferrand of the Midwest...

texaspokieokie
5/3/2011, 08:44 AM
how could you people pass up Bixby?

its practically the Clermont-Ferrand of the Midwest...

i have a friend that lives in Bixby, his neighborhood is VERY nice.

Jammin'
5/3/2011, 09:45 AM
I would choose to live in Detroit instead of Tulsa. And not just real life Detroit. I'm talking about horrible dystopian Robocop Detroit.

And I stuck with the mustache. It got me this far after all. I should find out if I was right to do so sometime next week. (It would be someplace with far fewer lepers per capita than Tulsa.)

Robocop Detroit > Tulsa. YOu heard it here first Troup.

I know the stache will prevail Thaum. Deep down inside you'll miss the lepers.

JDMT
5/3/2011, 09:48 AM
The north pole with santa, or chk's backyard.

Jammin'
5/3/2011, 11:20 AM
I'm glad we can all agree that the statement below is totally and completely full of crap. Thank you all very, very much.

tulsa > anywhere.

NormanPride
5/3/2011, 11:27 AM
South Carolina or Wisconsin. Similar people, and family close by. The weather in Wisky isn't great during the winter, but I love snow...

And for the record, I love it here.

The
5/3/2011, 11:28 AM
I'd move underground with the Morlocks.

C&CDean
5/3/2011, 11:29 AM
I'd move underground with the Drows.

NormanPride
5/3/2011, 11:30 AM
I'd move underground with the Morlocks.
Better property values?

StoopTroup
5/3/2011, 11:31 AM
Norman

C&CDean
5/3/2011, 11:35 AM
oooohhoooohhhoooooooh....

The
5/3/2011, 11:36 AM

Lloth!

SunnySooner
5/3/2011, 11:53 AM
Hmmm, lessee, I've lived in beauteous Muldrow, OK, Norman, Oahu's North Shore, Honolulu, Newport, RI, Northern VA/Wash. DC (yes, I was there for the Sniper, hell on earth, entirely diff. thread), Silverdale, WA (Seattle burbs), and now Jacksonville, FL.

They all have their high points, fo sho. Hawaii is allsome. We were newly married, two-incomes, no kids, and a book of coupons for outer island flights that left on the half-hour, no resv. needed, it was like an airbus. VERY good memories. But, it's expensive as hell. This was mid-late-90's and milk was $6/gallon, gas was $1.65 when OK was paying $.89. Without military benes, i.e., exchange/commissary privileges, you have to work your *** off to live there. Almost all the locals I knew had a least 2 jobs, and everyone younger than 35 lived with their parents or their spouses parents. The older folks had inherited their houses when their parents died. Capisce? EVERYTHING is higher than a cat's back. Oh, and the schools suck, so you have to pay extra for private if you want a literate 18 year old. So, ya know. There's that.

I also have great things to say about Newport, RI. 4 years, only one really nasty winter. The beaches are amazing, and it has a great downtown/nightlife area. Plus, you're only a few hours from NYC, Maine, Boston, Cape Cod, etc. Very nice people, strangely, totally Un-Yankee of them.

Washington DC and Washington State are great places to visit--you never want to live in either. 'Nuff said.

As for Jacksonville, maybe it's just my neighborhood, but I love it. Great people (who all LOVE college football, and want to discuss it with you in depth, especially when they see you're a Sooner), great schools, great beaches, close to Orlando (we REALLY love rollercoasters), convenient everything, great weather, a day's drive to Key West....

Which brings me to my wish-home--Key West. Something about that place, I just love the laid-back-ness, mixed in with all that Hemingway crap and all those historical homes, beautiful water, great bars/nightlife. Not TOO expensive. See y'all at the beach!!!!

Jammin'
5/3/2011, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, lessee, I've lived in beauteous Muldrow, OK, Norman, Oahu's North Shore, Honolulu, Newport, RI, Northern VA/Wash. DC (yes, I was there for the Sniper, hell on earth, entirely diff. thread), Silverdale, WA (Seattle burbs), and now Jacksonville, FL.

They all have their high points, fo sho. Hawaii is allsome. We were newly married, two-incomes, no kids, and a book of coupons for outer island flights that left on the half-hour, no resv. needed, it was like an airbus. VERY good memories. But, it's expensive as hell. This was mid-late-90's and milk was $6/gallon, gas was $1.65 when OK was paying $.89. Without military benes, i.e., exchange/commissary privileges, you have to work your *** off to live there. Almost all the locals I knew had a least 2 jobs, and everyone younger than 35 lived with their parents or their spouses parents. The older folks had inherited their houses when their parents died. Capisce? EVERYTHING is higher than a cat's back. Oh, and the schools suck, so you have to pay extra for private if you want a literate 18 year old. So, ya know. There's that.

I also have great things to say about Newport, RI. 4 years, only one really nasty winter. The beaches are amazing, and it has a great downtown/nightlife area. Plus, you're only a few hours from NYC, Maine, Boston, Cape Cod, etc. Very nice people, strangely, totally Un-Yankee of them.

Washington DC and Washington State are great places to visit--you never want to live in either. 'Nuff said.

As for Jacksonville, maybe it's just my neighborhood, but I love it. Great people (who all LOVE college football, and want to discuss it with you in depth, especially when they see you're a Sooner), great schools, great beaches, close to Orlando (we REALLY love rollercoasters), convenient everything, great weather, a day's drive to Key West....

Which brings me to my wish-home--Key West. Something about that place, I just love the laid-back-ness, mixed in with all that Hemingway crap and all those historical homes, beautiful water, great bars/nightlife. Not TOO expensive. See y'all at the beach!!!!

Well said, thanks for sharing!

NormanPride
5/3/2011, 12:06 PM
Sunny's better at this than all of us. :(

SunnySooner
5/3/2011, 12:07 PM
lol, it's just that I'm a Gypsy, aka Navy wife.

soonerchk
5/3/2011, 01:17 PM
lol, it's just that I'm a Gypsy, aka Navy wife.

And where exactly was your Navy husband on Sunday night???

SunnySooner
5/3/2011, 01:25 PM
And where exactly was your Navy husband on Sunday night???

I know NOTHSING, I see NOTHSING!!! /Shultz ;)

GDC
5/3/2011, 04:14 PM
Hulbert

The
5/3/2011, 04:16 PM
Hulbert

Hobart.

Mississippi Sooner
5/3/2011, 04:16 PM
I was born in Happyland, Oklahoma. I just don't know how it gets better than that.

Well, except for the fact that there's nothing there anymore.

IB4OU2
5/3/2011, 04:24 PM
You guys can live anywhere you want...I'll take the hills and trees of Tulsa.

I've lived on the coast of Oregon, the mountains of Utah/Colorado and Nevada and on the west coast of Florida. I'll take Tulsa and anyplace else in Oklahoma all day long....it's the people. As said earlier there's a price to pay to live in a garden (all those other places).

The
5/3/2011, 04:27 PM
Nothing but werewolves and potholes in Tulsa.

JohnnyMack
5/3/2011, 04:37 PM
Carmel, CA

tator
5/3/2011, 04:48 PM
Nothing but werewolves and potholes in Tulsa.
don't forget the lepers. apparently, we have a high ratio of them.

The
5/3/2011, 04:49 PM
don't forget the lepers. apparently, we have a high ratio of them.

And gangs. Leprous gangs.

yermom
5/3/2011, 06:00 PM

D&Dean strikes again :D

olevetonahill
5/3/2011, 06:05 PM
If I couldnt have my Hill, Id be Close to Norman.;)

picasso
5/3/2011, 06:10 PM

Really? Because my sister lived in the nicest burb of Detroit and they said that place was a craphole.
Perhaps you should part your stache so you can see the lilies in the field?

picasso
5/3/2011, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't mind DC if it was in the G'town area. The place just has great energy. Alexandria, VA, isn't bad either. King Street.

Lott's Bandana
5/3/2011, 06:14 PM
Goldsboro, NC
Limestone, ME
Norman
Marin County, CA
Norman
Virginia Beach
New London, CT
Charleston, SC
Tallahassee, FL
Honolulu, HI
Orangevale, CA
Roseville, CA
Yuba City, CA
Folsom, CA
Norman

Without a doubt, Nompton.

Only Charleston even comes close.

Salt City Sooner
5/3/2011, 06:18 PM
I could live in Soldotna, Alaska without batting an eye (provided I had a way back to Norman for the games, of course :D ) .

Thaumaturge
5/3/2011, 06:41 PM
Really? Because my sister lived in the nicest burb of Detroit and they said that place was a craphole.

Exactly, and a craphole is at least a couple of steps above the leper colony in question. Speaking of crapholes and after thinking about it more carefully, I would also prefer Bartertown, the pig-feces-fueled outpost in post-apocalyptic Australia.

SunnySooner
5/3/2011, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't mind DC if it was in the G'town area. The place just has great energy. Alexandria, VA, isn't bad either. King Street.

There were parts of it that were great--hopping the Metro to the Smithsonian whenever the boy wanted to "see the Dinosaurs" was really fun. All of the monuments, etc., always something to do on a weekend. I guess the whole sniper thing, plus driving by the blackened Pentagon every other day, has tainted my view on living there. There are some very nice neighborhoods, tho again, painfully expensive. The traffic is the suck, serious suckage.

It is in Honolulu as well, it used to take 45 minutes for me to drive the 5 miles from my house to my office. I would just leave the house in curlers and no makeup, and do all that business at red lights (usually took 3 or 4 rotations to get thru the intersections), arriving coiffed and mascaraed while enjoying the extra sleep. :)

Being from a small town really spoils you on the whole traffic thing. If you have to be somewhere at 8, you leave the house at 7:57. Sadly, that just don't work in the Big City.

C&CDean
5/3/2011, 07:38 PM
You had me Sunny all the way up until you said "see you at the beach" in the same sentence with Key West. Ain't no beach on that God-forsaken rock. I drove the 4+ hours down there from Ft Lauderdale expecting Bahamas-like white sand beaches. Nope. Just rock, and a bunch of gays prancing around bar hopping. The bars were pretty cool though but could never live there.

BTW, this is my first ever post on my first ever computer from the Deanrosa. Feels kinda weird. Almost naughty or something. Got it installed today, and it's actually faster than the network at work in Norman.

Places I've lived:

Born in Colorado Springs, lived there, then France, Germany, then Tucson for my "formative" years. Joined the Army at 17, and went to Louisiana, Georgia, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Panama, and a bunch of other places.

Moved to Norman about 20 years ago or so with my job. Since being here I've travelled to 46 states for my work. I've had very lengthy stays in many places - most notably DC, Boston, Miami, San Francisco, LA, Kansas City, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix.

Every place I've gone has both the good/bad. All things considered, I'd rather be right here somewhere betwixt Lexington and Wanette Oklahoma sitting on the back porch sipping some Irish and looking at 2 toms following about 4-5 hens across the back pasture with the thermometer reading 71 degrees, and the pasture I fertilized a week or so ago turning a beautiful emerald green right before my very eyes.

I can almost hear the grass growing, I have 27 days left to work before I can spend the rest of my life out here frollicking with the deer, turkey, cows, possums, skunks, armadillos, coons (no, Jammin' ain't here), buzzards, scorpions, snakes (saw both today come out of brush piles I was burning), doing all the things I enjoy most.

Y'all can have your OKC/Tulsa duels. I (kinda like the vet) laugh at you from my/his little slice of heaven.

picasso
5/3/2011, 07:40 PM
Exactly, and a craphole is at least a couple of steps above the leper colony in question. Speaking of crapholes and after thinking about it more carefully, I would also prefer Bartertown, the pig-feces-fueled outpost in post-apocalyptic Australia.

Yeah, that's why said sister likes Tulsa so much. I'll bet you ride your own mustache too right?

Thaumaturge
5/3/2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, that's why said sister likes Tulsa so much.

Maybe. Most of the people I've met who liked living in Tulsa have been lepers. They find it more comfortable to be among their own rather than among people who gasp, shout "Lepers!" and run away at the sight of them.

olevetonahill
5/3/2011, 08:26 PM
Dean, Do you have DSL?

47straight
5/3/2011, 08:27 PM
You had me Sunny all the way up until you said "see you at the beach" in the same sentence with Key West. Ain't no beach on that God-forsaken rock. I drove the 4+ hours down there from Ft Lauderdale expecting Bahamas-like white sand beaches. Nope. Just rock, and a bunch of gays prancing around bar hopping. The bars were pretty cool though but could never live there.

BTW, this is my first ever post on my first ever computer from the Deanrosa. Feels kinda weird. Almost naughty or something. Got it installed today, and it's actually faster than the network at work in Norman.

Places I've lived:

Born in Colorado Springs, lived there, then France, Germany, then Tucson for my "formative" years. Joined the Army at 17, and went to Louisiana, Georgia, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Panama, and a bunch of other places.

Moved to Norman about 20 years ago or so with my job. Since being here I've travelled to 46 states for my work. I've had very lengthy stays in many places - most notably DC, Boston, Miami, San Francisco, LA, Kansas City, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix.

Every place I've gone has both the good/bad. All things considered, I'd rather be right here somewhere betwixt Lexington and Wanette Oklahoma sitting on the back porch sipping some Irish and looking at 2 toms following about 4-5 hens across the back pasture with the thermometer reading 71 degrees, and the pasture I fertilized a week or so ago turning a beautiful emerald green right before my very eyes.

I can almost hear the grass growing, I have 27 days left to work before I can spend the rest of my life out here frollicking with the deer, turkey, cows, possums, skunks, armadillos, coons (no, Jammin' ain't here), buzzards, scorpions, snakes (saw both today come out of brush piles I was burning), doing all the things I enjoy most.

Y'all can have your OKC/Tulsa duels. I (kinda like the vet) laugh at you from my/his little slice of heaven.

How many acres do you have?

SoCaliSooner
5/3/2011, 08:30 PM
Dean, Do you have DSL?

Are you telling him he has a purty mouth?

C&CDean
5/3/2011, 08:37 PM
How many acres do you have?

Just shy of 320.

olevetonahill
5/3/2011, 08:38 PM
Just shy of 320.

Makes me feel like all i got is a ****in city lot.:D

C&CDean
5/3/2011, 08:42 PM
Dean, Do you have DSL?

Howie,

They promised "6mpbs" when I signed up. Then they go "OK, as far out as you live we'll guarantee 3mpbs." Then, dude shows up today, runs his silliness and goes "sorry, but 1.5 is the best I can guarantee. You can get 3, but 1.5 is the only thing I can guarantee." So I go "go ahead." So far, I can see what y'all are posting about 2 seconds before you do it.

ByrnHoustonsSweatyPalms
5/3/2011, 08:47 PM
Stillwater

GDC
5/3/2011, 09:09 PM
I was born in Happyland, Oklahoma. I just don't know how it gets better than that.

Well, except for the fact that there's nothing there anymore.

There's always Happy Corner, over by Drumright.

SunnySooner
5/3/2011, 09:55 PM
Dean, I was promised a house with some acreage and a coupla horses when I got married. The whole navy thing was just for some experience, 3 years, MAX, then we'd be back in OK.

Almost 17 years later, I think I might have been hornswaggled. Not sure, but there's a distinct possibility.

olevetonahill
5/3/2011, 10:03 PM
Howie,

They promised "6mpbs" when I signed up. Then they go "OK, as far out as you live we'll guarantee 3mpbs." Then, dude shows up today, runs his silliness and goes "sorry, but 1.5 is the best I can guarantee. You can get 3, but 1.5 is the only thing I can guarantee." So I go "go ahead." So far, I can see what y'all are posting about 2 seconds before you do it.

Makes me almost want to move closer to town, This Satilite deal IS faster than dial up, But not by much

Mongo
5/3/2011, 10:06 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about jammin' exploring his want of weener

olevetonahill
5/3/2011, 10:24 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about jammin' exploring his want of weener

He aint touchin mine, Im racist

texaspokieokie
5/4/2011, 09:21 AM
South Carolina or Wisconsin. Similar people, and family close by. The weather in Wisky isn't great during the winter, but I love snow...

And for the record, I love it here.

i can see Badger has you "brainwashed". WI is nice for about 2 weeks in the summer, & rest is too cold.

C&CDean
5/4/2011, 09:29 AM
Dean, I was promised a house with some acreage and a coupla horses when I got married. The whole navy thing was just for some experience, 3 years, MAX, then we'd be back in OK.

Almost 17 years later, I think I might have been hornswaggled. Not sure, but there's a distinct possibility.

Heh. As long as it's been worth it...

Someday you may have your dream.