PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on Landry Jones...

SoonerofAlabama
5/2/2011, 04:04 PM
http://newsok.com/ous-landry-jones-stacks-up-well-with-nfl-draft-first-rounders/article/3563878?custom_click=lead_story_title

gaylordfan1
5/2/2011, 07:34 PM
I agree with all of that.

o0Dan0o
5/2/2011, 09:21 PM
I love Jones, I think he's at least as physically talented as Bradford and I've seen him make some truly amazing throws. Sometimes he just doesn't make the best decisions, I think sometimes he just relies on his talent too much. We'll see how he matures, he was only a sophomore. If he continues to progress like he has over the last two years he may be an amazing talent, but I don't think he's there just yet.
Dan

BigJerm7
5/3/2011, 10:37 AM
I think if he repeats last year's performance he has a good chance to go first round, and I've been a big critic. His numbers don't lie. He had a great year, but Sam Bradford is a pretty tough act to follow.

LakeRat
5/3/2011, 11:25 AM
I believed he would be a future first rounder his frosh year. He was very good, especially put in the place he was. He had to come in without being the leader through the summer, he had to replace the heisman trophy winner on an extremely banged up team in front of a crowd who had expected a National title run. He was in a tough spot and made tons of improvement.

bornnbredou
5/3/2011, 11:32 AM
I think most Sooner fans were very critical of him early on, but lets be honest here, if we had never heard of Sam Bradford and Landry came in his redshirt freshman year threw for 3000yds and 26tds and then followed that up with 4700yds and 38tds his sophomore year we would be touting him as possibly the best OU qb ever, with maybe only Jason White better than him. But since we have seen Bradford it somehow lessens Landrys accomplishments which is unfair to him. Not to mention he has taken every bit of criticism and comparison to Bradford and been as humble as possible and improving on the field every game.

Its about time someone started taking notice of how truly great of a qb Landry is, and hell he still has two more seasons to improve if he chooses to stay.

badger
5/3/2011, 12:12 PM
I love Landry enough to name the doggie's meerkat toy after him. :P

(seriously, there was no more perfect name for the leader of OUr Meerkat Offense)

But, would caution any aspiring NFL player against planning to leave college a season in advance like some previously-thought-to-be top picks did (notoriously Jevan Snead). I'm sure LJ is getting good advice and not going too far (especially since Whitney Hand has two years of eligibility left in Norman), but it's hard not to be concerned about young athletes and all of the outside influences surrounding the college game.

AZSOONER
5/3/2011, 01:16 PM
He'll be the #1 pick in the NFL draft after he wins 2 National Titles. Heard it here first. :)

badger
5/3/2011, 01:43 PM
He'll be the #1 pick in the NFL draft after he wins 2 National Titles. Heard it here first. :)

AP titles don't count here anymore :P

SoonerofAlabama
5/3/2011, 11:54 PM
Copyright ©2010. The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

OU's Landry Jones stacks up well with NFL Draft first rounders, has factors to be a high pick

Back in August, Barry Switzer took in one of Oklahoma's two-a-day practices alongside Bob Stoops. Together, they began eyeballing quarterback Landry Jones.

Oklahoma's Landry Jones (12) looks to pass the ball during the Big 12 football championship game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers (NU) at Cowboys Stadium on Saturday, Dec. 4, 2010, in Arlington, Texas. Photo by Chris Landsberger, The Oklahoman CHRIS LANDSBERGER

“He's sitting there for about a half-hour and says, ‘Bob, this guy is going to be a first-round draft pick,'” Stoops recalled Fiesta Bowl week. “He, you know, evaluates talent pretty well. ... and that was his assessment of watching a second-year guy, watching his ability and talent."

Before long, Switzer could be proven right.

Considering how high Washington's Jake Locker (eighth overall) Missouri's Blaine Gabbert (tenth) and Florida State's Christian Ponder (twelfth) went over the weekend in the NFL Draft, Jones certainly has the chance in 2013 — or 2012 — to join Sam Bradford as Sooner quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

After all, despite being two years younger, Jones outplayed Locker, Gabbert and Ponder last season, while leading the Sooners to a 12-2 record. Jones threw for more yards and touchdowns, completed a higher percentage of passes, and claimed — by far — the best quarterback rating of the four.

Sure, Jones benefitted from a superior supporting cast. He also had a couple of mediocre performances earlier on, notably at Missouri, in which Gabbert outperformed him.

But there's no denying that Jones progressed rapidly the second half of the season, propelling the Sooners to thrilling wins at Oklahoma State, Nebraska in Big 12 Championship and Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl.

"He's really come a long way,” Stoops said. “He's a hard worker, he's talented, he's got a great arm.”

Jones may not be the can't-miss pro prospect that Bradford was. Or Cam Newton appears to be.

But Jones has several factors working in his favor that could ultimately help make him a first rounder:

1. A 6-foot-4, 230-pound frame, roughly the same size as Gabbert. Unlike Boise State's returning All-American Kellen Moore, only 6-foot tall, Jones has prototypical size of an NFL quarterback.

2. Arm strength. OU's offense, while not exactly pro style, requires the quarterback to make NFL throws. Jones has proven he can make those throws.

3. No red flags when it comes to injuries or durability.

4. Bradford's rookie success. NFL franchises like going back to wells that produce — just look at the recent run of USC quarterbacks.

5. A considerable body of work, which should comprise 37 starts at the end of next season. Track record is a trait NFL scouts covet in quarterbacks.

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki is among those who believe Jones has first-round potential.

“He looks the part with a very strong arm, good accuracy and physical tools to harness,” wrote Nawrocki, who has Jones as the second-best returning pro quarterback prospect, behind only Stanford's Andrew Luck, the presumptive No. 1 overall pick for the 2012 draft.

“He knows where to go with the ball, throws accurately on the move and has appeared more confident and composed.”

Jones could stay for his senior season. But should he come out next year, he'll be part of a strong quarterback draft class.

Some believe Luck is the top quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning. USC's Matt Barkley, Michigan State's Kirk Cousins, Arizona's Nick Foles and OSU's Brandon Weeden will be first-round contenders, as well.

But, as Switzer predicted, Jones figures to be right there with them.

"He's already shown he's an excellent quarterback,” Stoops said.

“But he has a chance to be one of those elite guys.”

badger
5/4/2011, 10:14 AM
Another cool article on Landry Jones (now with Whitney Hand included!) here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110504_92_B1_CUTLIN35921)

bixby28
5/4/2011, 11:53 AM
If Landry can get good production out of the running game, like Bradford had, he'll be even better. The passing game shouldered the offensive production more than it should have last year (over 600 passing attempts).

With that being said, LJ only threw 12 interceptions in those 617 attempts. Jason White threw 451 passes in 2003, and had 10 interceptions. That's an interception every 45 attempts for J.White. LJ had 617 attempts with 12 interceptions. An average of 1 one interception every 51 attempts. I'll take LJ behind center any day of the week.

Jdog
5/4/2011, 09:31 PM
Reminds me of Hybl