PDA

View Full Version : Flash forward: Top 32 picks for the 2012 NFL Draft

SoonerPr8r
5/2/2011, 01:36 PM
Top 32 for 2012 Draft (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15014424/flash-forward-top-32-picks-for-the-2012-nfl-draft)

. 1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford (Jr.): He should be the top guy if he can stay injury free. I still wonder if he's OK with staying in school.

2. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina. He's the latest in talented defensive players to come out of North Carolina. At 6-6, 270 pounds, he has Julius Peppers type of size. He had 10 sacks last season.

3. Matt Kalil, T, USC: There is a reason Tyron Smith, the Cowboys' first-round pick this year, played right tackle instead of on the left side. Kalil is that reason.

4. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina (Jr.): He's another big receiver from the SEC like Julio Jones and A.J. Green. He caught 88 passes last season.

5. Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford (Jr.): One of the top left tackles in the nation. At 6-6, 310 pounds, he is the one who protects Luck's blindside. He has great feet and the system helps his stock.

6. Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon (Jr.): This is a smooth cover player who can also return kicks. He plays a ton of man coverage at Oregon, which NFL scouts love.

7. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State (Jr.): He's a 310-pound player who has good quickness to attack the line of scrimmage.

8. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State: He's a big, strong, explosive receiver who would have been a high first-round pick if he came out in 2011. Now he gets another year to sharpen his skills

9. Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina (Jr.): He plays end in North Carolina's defense, but he has that 3-4 look teams love.

10. Matt Barkley, QB, USC (Jr.): He will actually push for the second spot at quarterback. But it's time he lives up to all the hype and the talent.

11. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska: He was the other guy opposite Prince Amukamara, but now he's the top dog. He excels in man coverage.

12. Brandon Jenkins, DE/OLB, Florida State (Jr.): He had 14 sacks as a sophomore and should be even better in 2011. He is an end at FSU, but can move to an outside 3-4 rush linebacker.

13. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma (Jr.): He's a big, strong-armed passer who threw 38 touchdown passes last season as a sophomore.

14. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: He has been a big-time contributor the past two years for the Huskers. He can play 4-3 tackle or end in a 3-4.

15. Matt Reynolds, T, BYU: He has good size at 6-6 325 pounds and he has good feet in pass protection. Plays in a pro-style offense, which helps.

16. Dre Kilpatrick, CB, Alabama (Jr.): He's a big corner (6-2) who is getting schooled by one of the best in Alabama coach Nick Saban.

17. Nate Potter, T, Boise State: He's 6-6, 300 pounds and he plays in a pro-style offense where he does a lot of pass protection. That will help his value. A lot like Nate Solder, who went in the first round this year.

18. Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State (Jr.): He is an explosive, violent player who can run. There's a reason he was the top linebacker recruit three years ago.

19. Riley Reiff, T, Iowa (Jr.): He has been a starter since he was a freshman. The NFL loves Iowa linemen because they are so well coached.

20. Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama: He was a big-play linebacker in 2010, his first as a starter. He has the size and speed coaches love.

21. Ray-Ray Armstrong, S, Miami (Jr.): He is a big (6-3, 220) safety who can run. Armstrong packs a punch when he tackles.

22. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina: This former track star excelled last year on a talented North Carolina defense. His speed is what will be so attractive.

23. Mike Adams, T, Ohio State: This 6-8, 305-pound left tackle has all the tools to be a top player on the next level.

24. Greg Reid, CB, Florida State (Jr.): He's a good cover man from a school that has produced a lot of them. His 5-9 size might be a concern.

25. Mark Barron, S, Alabama: He's a big-hitting safety who also has range. The key to his draft stock will be his 40 time.

26. Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State: After an impressive season in 2010, he has a chance to be even higher on this list by next April if he takes another step.

27. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina (Jr.): He is a 6-6, 260-pound edge rusher who has the size/speed teams love.

28. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (Jr.): I think he's a better player than Mark Ingram, who went in the first round this year. He's more explosive.

29. Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State: He has the size (6-3, 210) and he's been a productive passer in a good conference for a couple of seasons.

30. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson: This former high-school linebacker has the speed scouts love. He flashed last season playing opposite Da'Quan Bowers.

31. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College (Jr.): This kid is a tackling machine. He has been a starter since he stepped on campus.

32. Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia: He is the son of former NFL corner Frank Minnifield. Like his dad, he excels in man coverage.

Just missed: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma; Bruce Irvin, DE, West Virginia; LaMichael James, RB, Oregon (Jr.); Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma; Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri (Jr.); Nick Foles, QB, Arizona; Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M; Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina (Jr.); Bobby Massie, T, Mississippi (Jr.); Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State; Chris Galippo, ILB, USC; Cyrus Gray, RB, Texas A&M; Marcus Forston, DT, Miami (Jr.); Brandon Lindsey, DE, Pittsburgh; Billy Winn, DT, Boise State; John Simon, DT, Ohio State (Jr.) and Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M.

Notable: Blackmon at 8; Landry at 13; Matt Markley at 10???????
Missing: Broyles (whaaaaaaaa?) and T. Lew

NormanPride
5/2/2011, 01:50 PM
Tannehill from A&M, really?

Mad Dog Madsen
5/2/2011, 02:23 PM
I doubt Carolina will draft another QB with the #1 pick next year. :D

The Maestro
5/2/2011, 02:41 PM
Barkley that high and Broyles not even listed is nuts. This list = FAIL!

Curly Bill
5/2/2011, 02:45 PM
Landry too high *

Broyles not on there a joke.

* Looking at that list of QB's though..if you're in the market for one next year
Landry is as good as any of em, with the likely exception of Luck.

usaosooner
5/2/2011, 03:30 PM
Broyles is to small to be a first round WR

MelloYello
5/2/2011, 03:38 PM
Not many quality RBs to be found.

oudavid1
5/2/2011, 04:12 PM

http://www.alreadytv.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/DeSean-Jackson-Philadelphia-Eagles-vs-Dallas-Cowboys.jpg

just sayin

Mad Dog Madsen
5/2/2011, 04:17 PM
Desean Jackson runs a 4.35 and was chosen in the 2nd round. Just sayin... :)

tfoolry
5/2/2011, 04:19 PM
Tannehill from A&M, really?

Yes, some are saying this '11 Aggy team has the best offense on Earth.

Sooner_Tuf
5/2/2011, 04:30 PM
Brandon Weeden is not on that list. Does he already have an agent? I mean besides T. Boone.

sperry
5/2/2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.alreadytv.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/DeSean-Jackson-Philadelphia-Eagles-vs-Dallas-Cowboys.jpg

just sayin

Was not a first round pick...

OU-HSV
5/2/2011, 08:10 PM
What, you are joking, right? You have seen Broyles play, right?

Furthermore, two words...Mark Clayton (smaller built as well, yet still went first round to Ravens). Not to mention Broyles has often drawn on the field comparisons to Mark.

OU-HSV
5/2/2011, 08:12 PM
Barkley that high and Broyles not even listed is nuts. This list = FAIL!

Agreed

LRoss
5/2/2011, 08:29 PM
Mock drafts from 4 days ago were way off. This is for a year from now. Let's keep these things in mind:

1) Nobody knows what will happen between now and then. Not whoever made the list, and not anybody posting on this thread.

2) Broyles is obviously supremely talented. He also lacks some measurables that pro scouts put a lot of stock into. They listed him first in the "just missed" category -- if a draft prospectus listed him as "late 1st/early 2nd" would anybody still argue with that? Of course some of us probably would, but it's not exactly an insult and it's not exactly out of the realm of plausibility.

I know, calling for reason and restraint on a message board is a losing battle.

CowboyMRW
5/2/2011, 11:58 PM
How many WR's usually go in the 1st round anyways. Last year it was two, this year 3 I believe. It all depends on individual team needs. This article isn't meant to slight Broyles in any way.

Eielson
5/3/2011, 12:23 AM
Broyles and Blackmon are the best two receivers in the nation and nobody else is even close, but Broyles has second round written all over him.

sooner59
5/3/2011, 12:41 AM
Jeffries will go as one of the first two WRs. He is too big not to.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/3/2011, 08:57 AM
Broyles is just not a 1st round pick IMO...Not unless he plays at about 10-15 more pounds and gets some more down the field, route running opportunities.

Travis Lewis doesn't belong there either

fwsooner22
5/3/2011, 09:24 AM
Dez is in the process of knocking Justin Blackmon down the list. Just sayin'

Spray
5/3/2011, 09:40 AM
What, you are joking, right? You have seen Broyles play, right?

Furthermore, two words...Mark Clayton (smaller built as well, yet still went first round to Ravens). Not to mention Broyles has often drawn on the field comparisons to Mark.

May be blasphemy, but knowing what we know now based on his career production, would you still take Clayton in the first round?

oudavid1
5/3/2011, 09:44 AM
May be blasphemy, but knowing what we know now based on his career production, would you still take Clayton in the first round?

this.

Ryan is very good. But he is not first round material. But that dosnt mean he wont end up there. Cough Ponder cough.

oudavid1
5/3/2011, 09:46 AM
Oh, and Broyles has peaked. If they told him he was a first rounder he wouldnt have come back.

Soonerwake
5/3/2011, 10:07 AM
Mock drafts from 4 days ago were way off. This is for a year from now. Let's keep these things in mind:

1) Nobody knows what will happen between now and then. Not whoever made the list, and not anybody posting on this thread.

2) Broyles is obviously supremely talented. He also lacks some measurables that pro scouts put a lot of stock into. They listed him first in the "just missed" category -- if a draft prospectus listed him as "late 1st/early 2nd" would anybody still argue with that? Of course some of us probably would, but it's not exactly an insult and it's not exactly out of the realm of plausibility.

I know, calling for reason and restraint on a message board is a losing battle.

Good point. How many mock drafts a year ago had Cam Newton in the first round, nevermind #1 overall?? At this point, it's about measurables, and Broyles, as good as he is on the field, doesn't have them.

But, it's fun to speculate.. :D

OU-HSV
5/4/2011, 07:50 PM

Well, the obvious answer now would be no...but of course we could say that now that we know how his career has gone. We could use that same strategy on hundreds of former first rounders. But at that time he earned/deserved a first round opportunity, and I believe Broyles will end up the same (a first rounder). And I'm not just saying this as a homer, I don't care where he plays at, that's just my feeling on his draft status.

Eielson
5/4/2011, 07:58 PM

As tough as it is to say, if given the chance again, I'm sure the Ravens would not have picked him in the first round. Maybe not even in the second round.

starclassic tama
5/4/2011, 08:14 PM
that being said, i'm interested to see what he does this upcoming year if he stays healthy. clayton looked pretty good before he went down, and sam's progression will only help him obviously

Spray
5/5/2011, 08:24 AM
Well, the obvious answer now would be no...but of course we could say that now that we know how his career has gone. We could use that same strategy on hundreds of former first rounders. But at that time he earned/deserved a first round opportunity, and I believe Broyles will end up the same (a first rounder). And I'm not just saying this as a homer, I don't care where he plays at, that's just my feeling on his draft status.

I think my point is that if you think Broyles is a first-rounder, using Clayton as a comparison and/or measuring stick doesn't bolster the argument. It hinders it.

And, as a homer, I say Broyles deserves to go in the first round. :D

CowboyMRW
5/5/2011, 09:20 AM
Dez is in the process of knocking Justin Blackmon down the list. Just sayin'

How is Dez being a dumba** going to knock JB down the list?

OU-HSV
5/5/2011, 08:21 PM
I think my point is that if you think Broyles is a first-rounder, using Clayton as a comparison and/or measuring stick doesn't bolster the argument. It hinders it.

And, as a homer, I say Broyles deserves to go in the first round. :D

I understand what you're saying. I should have been more clear in that I wasn't trying to straight up compare Mark Clayton to Broyles, I was just mentioning that as an example of an undersized WR who went first round. And I was mentioning that Broyles has drawn comparisons to Clayton because that is an interesting coincidence.
I guess the last thing I'll say is just because Clayton hasn't had the best or healthiest career doesn't mean a team who wants/needs a speedy slot type WR would shy away from Broyles.
But anyway, I do see where you're coming from.

Always_Sooner
5/5/2011, 09:57 PM
Jones might stay I think it depends on the results of the 2011 season.

SoonerofAlabama
5/5/2011, 10:02 PM
I definitely hope so, but first this season has to get here. It is taking forever.

PDXsooner
5/5/2011, 10:11 PM
Mark Clayton has not played like a first round receiver since he's been in the league.

Salt City Sooner
5/6/2011, 12:20 AM
I don't mean to totally let Mark off the hook as he could've definitely stood to step it up a bit, but here are the QB's he's had throwing to him:

2005- Anthony Wright/Kyle Boller
2006- Steve McNair
2007- Boller/McNair w/ a dash of Troy Smith thrown in
2008- Flacco (rookie)
2009- Flacco
2010- Bradford

Not exactly a who's who list, & out of it, only Flacco in '09 threw more than 20 TD's in a season.

To borrow a Dennis Green-ism, the Ravens are who they are, & who they are (& pretty much have always been) is a predominantly power running team, w/ 1 primary WR (last year they had Boldin & Mason, but that's an anomaly), & they usually have a pretty good TE (Sharpe, Heap).

PDXsooner
5/6/2011, 12:55 AM
I don't mean to totally let Mark off the hook as he could've definitely stood to step it up a bit, but here are the QB's he's had throwing to him:

2005- Anthony Wright/Kyle Boller
2006- Steve McNair
2007- Boller/McNair w/ a dash of Troy Smith thrown in
2008- Flacco (rookie)
2009- Flacco
2010- Bradford

Not exactly a who's who list, & out of it, only Flacco in '09 threw more than 20 TD's in a season.

To borrow a Dennis Green-ism, the Ravens are who they are, & who they are (& pretty much have always been) is a predominantly power running team, w/ 1 primary WR (last year they had Boldin & Mason, but that's an anomaly), & they usually have a pretty good TE (Sharpe, Heap).

Yeah, but Derrick Mason's been their go-to guy and put up good numbers. Clayton just hasn't performed like a 1st round receiver.

Salt City Sooner
5/6/2011, 01:42 AM
Don't disagree at all. In fact, that's pretty much what my previous post said.

SoonerofAlabama
5/6/2011, 11:37 PM
Between now and the 2012 NFL Draft, this mock draft will have changed 1,000 times. These things are pointless until around two weeks before the draft. I still hope Landry doesn't leave after this season.

OU-HSV
5/6/2011, 11:45 PM
Here's the latest SI mock:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andrew_perloff/05/03/2012.mock.draft/index.html

Landry @ 3 to Browns???...and Travis Lewis @ 24 to the Rams. Unless I've overlooked it, I don't see Broyles on this one

Eielson
5/8/2011, 04:32 PM

Clayton would have been that guy if he was anywhere near as good in the NFL as he was in the NCAA. How old was Mason when they begged him out of retirement? Is he 40 yet?

Salt City Sooner
5/8/2011, 07:04 PM
Mason just turned 37 in January. The retirement thing surprised me a little because he's definitely got some fuel left in the tank.

As for Mark, he had easily his best year in the only full year that he played with a established, solid veteran, QB. Personally, I don't find that coincidental. His rookie year was also Mason's first year w/ the Ravens. If you're a journeyman/noob QB, who are you going to be looking at first; the guy who's bringing 4 straight 1,000+ yd. seasons to your team, or the new kid who's less proven than you are? That's not a minor question in this case because as I said earlier, Baltimore's history is that of a ball control, run-oriented offense who's perfectly happy playing to their defense. A WR there is just not going to get as many chances as they would in a lot of other places.

As I said before, I don't hold him blameless, he definitely could've played better at times. There were a couple of times when he dropped balls that I caught myself wondering if that was the same guy I saw tear up the record books at OU. I'm just saying that the overall situation that he was in didn't do him any favors. It wasn't an accident in my books that he was off to such a good start last year. St. Louis was much more of an open offense than Baltimore (when he was there), & Mark was easily the Rams most established WR.

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 08:02 PM
Was not a first round pick...

oh i know that, but we would all agree looking back he is a first rounder now. Im saying the game has changed.

PS. Just saw this.

badger
5/8/2011, 08:21 PM
Big crazy thought: I don't mean to interrupt your regularly scheduled offseason draft talk, but I just wanted to insert the random possibility that next year's draft will have a rookie pay scale based on where players are drafted that might not have anything to do with position.

Thus, taking a future franchise quarterback in the first round might make more sense than getting a value pick that you can sign for less (i.e. a lineman).

Therefore, consider: Next year's draft could be front-loaded with QB's who can no longer demand $50 million guaranteed up front, but rather, can be locked in for 3-5 years relatively cheaply to their predecessor first-round QB counterparts.

No more Brady Quinn holding out for top ten money when he was drafted in the 20s. No more taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush just because the Texans can't get him to sign a deal before the draft starts. No more locking up Stafford before the draft begins just to make sure the Lions won't go 0-16 again.

We could be looking at a whole new era of the NFL Draft next year.

KBoomer11
5/8/2011, 08:52 PM
I wonder if these mock draft guys actually watch the games or just look at numbers. See: Landry Jones.