PDA

View Full Version : Mark Clayton

Aries
5/1/2011, 07:52 AM
This is not official so I don't have a link, but Bernie Miklatz (local reporter) was quoted on a listserve I read as saying a deal with Mark Clayton (and the Rams) is "nearly done".

ouleaf
5/1/2011, 09:03 AM
Hope so....Clayton was really coming into his own last year before the injury. I hope he has rehabbed well and can return at 100%

JRAM
5/1/2011, 09:36 AM
How can a deal be almost done when the owners and players are not allowed to communicate with each other. Sounds as if someone made some crap up doesn't it?

SoonerDan74012
5/1/2011, 10:35 AM
How can a deal be almost done when the owners and players are not allowed to communicate with each other. Sounds as if someone made some crap up doesn't it?

This has been reported for quite sometime. The Rams and Mark were hoping to get the deal signed off before the lockout struck. He already bought a home there from what I understand and loves it in St. Louis. This was according to several articles over the course of the offseason so take it fwiw.

stoopified
5/1/2011, 11:02 AM
How can a deal be almost done when the owners and players are not allowed to communicate with each other. Sounds as if someone made some crap up doesn't it?That is what I was thinking.

VA Sooner
5/1/2011, 05:32 PM
That is what I was thinking.

Triple that.

I'm sure it's a given that the Rams want him... but at this point, nothing can be set in stone.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2011, 06:24 PM
I just as close to getting a contract signed with the Rams as Clayton is

swardboy
5/1/2011, 07:45 PM
Congratulations!

pappy
5/1/2011, 08:11 PM
Maybe they talked while the lockout was temporarily lifted.

SoonerDan74012
5/1/2011, 11:11 PM
They have been in discussions for quite sometime. Here is an article back in February talking about it.

Rams set sights on keeping Clayton
Share |

BY JIM THOMAS | [email protected] | 314-340-8197 | Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:30 am | Loading…

The Rams have had a steady dialogue with the agent for wide receiver Mark Clayton about a contract extension, although it's uncertain if a new deal can be worked out before a possible lockout March 4.

"We've had dialogue with Mark really since the time he got here," said Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president for football operations. "He came on a one-year deal. We've had good discussions and we'll continue to have discussions with Mark and his agent throughout.

"He's certainly a candidate to get an extension done before the deadline. But if he doesn't, that wouldn't change our opinion on wanting him back."

As is the case with all of their pending free agents, the Rams have exclusive negotiating rights with Clayton until the start of the new league year March 4. In a normal year, once March 4 arrives, any team can try to sign Clayton as an unrestricted free agent. But this isn't a normal year. Unless there's a new collective bargaining agreement by the end of the day March 3, no player can be signed (or traded) by any team.

"No matter what the dynamics are of the labor situation, we're always looking to do a fair deal for the Rams and the player," Demoff said. "And if that presents itself between now and the end of the 2010 league year, we'll do a deal. We've had dialogue with a number of the agents of a number of the players. And I'm hopeful that there may be some instances where we're able to get a deal done before the deadline."

Among other pending free agents, the Rams also have expressed interest in re-signing Gary Gibson, who started all 16 games for the team last season at defensive tackle. But on a list of free agents that includes nickel back Kevin Dockery, tight end Daniel Fells, offensive guard Adam Goldberg, wide receiver Laurent Robinson and defensive tackle Clifton Ryan, the most likely candidate to get re-signed could be Clayton.

"We've had some conversations, and it's just taking a natural course," said Clayton's St. Louis-based agent, Jim Steiner. "There doesn't seem to be any urgency on either side, but we have started the process."

When asked if it was important to get a contract done by March 4, Steiner said: "If everybody could achieve their goals, then it would be great to get it done. Obviously we can't sacrifice that based on the timing of it. We'll see."

Acquired in a Sept. 6 trade with Baltimore, Clayton had a surprising impact early in the 2010 season, adding much-needed downfield speed plus an ability to get yards after the catch. To the amazement of many, Clayton absorbed the playbook instantly and had 22 catches for 300 yards and two touchdowns through four games.

But a patellar tendon injury early in Game 5 against Detroit ended Clayton's season — he finished with 23 catches for 306 yards. Surgery and rehab followed, but according to Steiner, Clayton should be full speed well before the start of training camp.

"He's doing extremely well," Steiner said. "He'll be 100 percent, and be fine. I don't know exactly when he'll be at full, full, full, speed. I don't want to speak out of turn, but I think it's somewhere at the end of March, something like that, or in April."

Clayton's hard work and intangibles make him the kind of player coach Steve Spagnuolo would like to build his program around. So it's just a matter of making the numbers work for both parties.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2011, 11:33 PM
Maybe they talked while the lockout was temporarily lifted.

if they did and the NFL finds out about it, thats big trouble...That wasn't allowed during the lift

Collier11
5/1/2011, 11:41 PM
I think it is pretty obvious that there are a lot of "off the record" discussions going on, but like STEP said, if the NFL caught wind there could be issues

85sooners
5/2/2011, 01:14 PM
cheaters

bigfatjerk
5/2/2011, 03:05 PM
Triple that.

I'm sure it's a given that the Rams want him... but at this point, nothing can be set in stone.
The Rams want him for sure. Just like they probably would like to keep Avery. They basically would have 3 solid receivers with Avery, Clayton, and Amendola. With a few young guys they can bring up. The weapons Sam has look a lot better all the sudden.

badger
5/2/2011, 03:36 PM
There might be more of a dispute if it weren't for two facts that will probably not be very disputed:

1- Mark Clayton wants to play for one NFL team, the St. Louis Rams.
2- The St. Louis Rams are the only NFL team that really wants Mark Clayton.

There simply is no better fit for Mark at this point in his career than St. Louis and no better fit for the St. Louis Rams and their young QB than Mark Clayton.

Mark isn't going to sign elsewhere and no other team is going to try to stop Mark with a better offer... except maybe Al Davis, because he's crazy

SoonerNomad
5/3/2011, 11:54 AM
The Rams want him for sure. Just like they probably would like to keep Avery. They basically would have 3 solid receivers with Avery, Clayton, and Amendola. With a few young guys they can bring up. The weapons Sam has look a lot better all the sudden.

I like all three of those guys, but they need to be your two, three and four wideouts. You need a stud #1 and role players like Clayton, Avery and Amendola make you dangerous.

swardboy
5/3/2011, 12:42 PM
1- Mark Clayton wants to play for one NFL team, the St. Louis Rams.
2- The St. Louis Rams are the only NFL team that really wants Mark Clayton.

Without the injury Clayton's stock would have risen high 'cause I think he was on course for a great season. But how true your words are at the moment. Thank goodness it's an injury that one can recover 100% from. I so want to see Sam and him tear it up this year....if there is a "this year."