PDA

View Full Version : If you're running the marathon tomorrow

soonerbrat
4/30/2011, 11:51 PM
wave as you go by...I'll be at the Devon water stop at mile 21

run slowly and I'll hand you some gu or a banana

Ardmore_Sooner
5/1/2011, 01:08 AM
I'm not running, but what flavor gu will you have?

Flagstaffsooner
5/1/2011, 02:22 AM
Beer please.

sooner59
5/1/2011, 03:11 AM
My fiance will be providing physical therapy at a tent somewhere a little north of 36th st. I will be in bed. Have fun.

lexsooner
5/1/2011, 12:21 PM
wave as you go by...I'll be at the Devon water stop at mile 21

run slowly and I'll hand you some gu or a banana

Gu tastes like its name. At mile 21, the novices will be nauseous and ready to heave, so be careful!

picasso
5/1/2011, 01:48 PM
I thought Howzit was handing out bananas?

Tulsa_Fireman
5/1/2011, 01:59 PM
I thought Howzit was handing out bananas?

Filled with gu if you work it hard enough.

soonercruiser
5/1/2011, 02:16 PM
Bad day to be driving; let alone running!

picasso
5/1/2011, 02:19 PM
Bad day to be driving; let alone running!

Never a bad day to hand out bananas.

soonerbrat
5/1/2011, 07:47 PM
it was ferkin freezing...i got so cold I couldn't feel my hands and I dropped oranges all over the ground. we had all the flavors of gu.

RacerX
5/1/2011, 08:18 PM
Didn't see your post or I would've looked for you.

Got hailed on, twice.

OhU1
5/1/2011, 11:31 PM
Who ran? I did just an ordinary training run for an hour and it was cold and wet. Having to get up at 5 AM would be bad enough, then running in the windy wet cold would be really tough.

I might do the 1/2 next year. Someday maybe I'll go for the whole distance. I still weigh 240 so I can't motor that fast yet.

Sooner Tri
5/2/2011, 10:40 AM
I ran the final 10k of the Marathon Relay. The weather was miserable for only the hour I was out in it, so I felt sorry for the ones doing the whole thing.
It actually HAILED twice during my run!
The volunteers were awesome though, and deserve major thanks!!

soonerbrat
5/2/2011, 10:50 AM
I ended up leaving early before the hail..about 11:00 ...i seriously couldn't feel my toes or fingers, and I couldn't keep a grip on anything. I think I dropped 20 oranges on the ground trying to hand them to the runners, and my face was so cold I couldn't talk without slurring. My jacket, jeans and socks were drenched... we were standing by the curb in a small river. I got warmed up in the car a couple of times but after the 3rd time being frozen I couldn't handle anymore. I felt bad, and there were still lots of runners coming, but I think quite a few people wimped out. I commend the runners for sticking it out!!

lexsooner
5/2/2011, 10:52 AM
Who ran? I did just an ordinary training run for an hour and it was cold and wet. Having to get up at 5 AM would be bad enough, then running in the windy wet cold would be really tough.

I might do the 1/2 next year. Someday maybe I'll go for the whole distance. I still weigh 240 so I can't motor that fast yet.

You might look for some larger races which have the Clydesdale divisions for men 200 lbs. and over. You would be surprised about the body types you see at half and even full marathons. They may not be towards the front, but I have seen many not so skinny runners completing these races. Keep it up, dude!

SouthCarolinaSooner
5/2/2011, 10:54 AM
You might look for some larger races which have the Clydesdale divisions for men 200 lbs. and over. You would be surprised about the body types you see at half and even full marathons. They may not be towards the front, but I have seen many not so skinny runners completing these races. Keep it up, dude!
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wis/blog/Solinsky_Chris_10K_AR_Blog_2.jpg
:D :P

Howzit
5/2/2011, 11:01 AM
Didn't see your post or I would've looked for you.

Got hailed on, twice.

Dude! Did you run the whole thing?

The OKC marathon used to have a Clydesdale division, not sure if they still do or not.

RacerX
5/2/2011, 01:23 PM
Dude! Did you run the whole thing?

Screw the clydesdale thing, run it to run it. We're not going to win anything.

I ran it last year in a tortoise like 4:58:32, my first marathon in 15 years. Back in the day (1990 White Rock) I ran a 3:30:03. It's hard putting up with being older, fatter, slower but its a reality that I've come to accept. I've dropped 30 pounds since January and got this one done in alligator snapping turtle fashion in 4-42-44. I used dashes cuz lofton's number keeps jumping in.

Below is my lengthy facebook/e-mail post

Pics (https://picasaweb.google.com/bryan.aaron.moore/2011OklahomaCityMemorialMarathon?authkey=Gv1sRgCMS cj6f78NTJfg&feat=directlink)

The morning started early at 3:15a. I met Kevin (brother) at Brent's (owner of The Runner) house at 4:40a and we headed downtown.

The 6:30a start of race was delayed 30 minutes due to a storm that rolled in. There was some lightning and rain. We chillaxed in a parking garage near the starting area.

For those of you unaware of the weather in Oklahoma City on May 1, it was low 40s, windy, and rain. Late in the race..about mile 22 and 24, I got hailed on with really heavy rain. Gravel sized hail. Not exactly typical. I ran in shorts and a singlet accessorized with gloves, ear wrap, and a ball cap. I wore an old Watonga 10k long-sleeve til about mile 6. It was soaked so I ditched it.

Last year I averaged 11:24/ mile and finished in 4:58 and change. This year I set a goal of 4:45 and finished in 4-42-45 averaging 10:47/mile.

Brent and Kevin were waiting for me at the finish. Kevin called Shannon (wife) and asked what I like in my coffee and he had a cup waiting for me. Man it was good. The coffee was one of Kevin's 3 acts of kindness that day. He gave me his ball cap which kept the rain and hail off of my face and while I was relaxing on the floor of the parking garage with my eyes closed, he moved to block some light that was shining on my face. Thanks bro!

Mile 13 is where I met Shannon and the girls for pictures and kisses. That's always nice. Kearsly (youngest daughter) was not enthusiastic about the weather.

Now for OCD runner's splits-
11:12 - just trying not to get stepped on.
11:12 - Some lady got knocked down or slipped. Didn't look pleasant. The raised painted stripes and manhole covers were quite slick.
10:17 - I have no idea. I think the mile 2 and/or mile 3 flags weren't quite right.
11:02 - The Sonic on NE 23 set up an impromptu water stop, McDonald's did not.
10:43
10:52 - ditched my cotton shirt as planned.
10:55 - maybe gorilla hill is in mile 7. Huge inflatable gorilla and banner strung across the street. About 20 people dressed as bananas.
10:33 - I touched my legs and realized they were numb. Another impromptu Sonic water stop.
11:27 - Didn't feel slow, but wind and rain were extra brutal on this stretch.
10:52
10:53
10:29
11:49 - Saw my girls and Shannon. Posed for pictures, got a clif bar and fresh water bottle.
11:33 - Found a port-a-john with no line at Lake Hefner....I had a lot fluid to dispense.
10:40 - It occurred to me that my thighs hurt, a lot. The sky lightened a bit.
10:33 - One of the relay exchange points. All the relay exchange points seemed busy, it was energizing.
10:42 - The 17 mile flag is at the base of the overpass (climb) over the Hefner Parkway. Passed a guy running barefoot.
10:38 - Ran with and talked to a lady that was wearing a gold shower cap.
10:20 - Some long gradual downhills in Nichols Hills.
10:07 - I can explain the faster time. Someone is blasting the Romantics at about 19.2. I felt no pain as I sang along with "What I Like About You". This would've been great at mile 25.
10:42 - lots of water flowing across the street.
10:53 - kind of gradual climb. Sideways rain and hail.
10:31 - Water stop is blasting A-Ha.
10:45 - sideways rain and hail.
10:40 - My thighs never quit hurting.
10:20 - actually had a little left in the tank.
2:03 for the last .2 miles, which works out to 9:10/mile.I survived.

lexsooner
5/2/2011, 01:38 PM

I ran it last year in a tortoise like 4:58:32, my first marathon in 15 years. Back in the day (1990 White Rock) I ran a 3:30:03. It's hard putting up with being older, fatter, slower but its a reality that I've come to accept. I've dropped 30 pounds since January and got this one done in alligator snapping turtle fashion in 4-42-44. I used dashes cuz lofton's number keeps jumping in.

Below is my length facebook/e-mail post

Pics (https://picasaweb.google.com/bryan.aaron.moore/2011OklahomaCityMemorialMarathon?authkey=Gv1sRgCMS cj6f78NTJfg&feat=directlink)

The morning started early at 3:15a. I met Kevin (brother) at Brent's (owner of The Runner) house at 4:40a and we headed downtown.

The 6:30a start of race was delayed 30 minutes due to a storm that rolled in. There was some lightning and rain. We chillaxed in a parking garage near the starting area.

For those of you unaware of the weather in Oklahoma City on May 1, it was low 40s, windy, and rain. Late in the race..about mile 22 and 24, I got hailed on with really heavy rain. Gravel sized hail. Not exactly typical. I ran in shorts and a singlet accessorized with gloves, ear wrap, and a ball cap. I wore an old Watonga 10k long-sleeve til about mile 6. It was soaked so I ditched it.

Last year I averaged 11:24/ mile and finished in 4:58 and change. This year I set a goal of 4:45 and finished in 4-42-45 averaging 10:47/mile.

Brent and Kevin were waiting for me at the finish. Kevin called Shannon (wife) and asked what I like in my coffee and he had a cup waiting for me. Man it was good. The coffee was one of Kevin's 3 acts of kindness that day. He gave me his ball cap which kept the rain and hail off of my face and while I was relaxing on the floor of the parking garage with my eyes closed, he moved to block some light that was shining on my face. Thanks bro!

Mile 13 is where I met Shannon and the girls for pictures and kisses. That's always nice. Kearsly (youngest daughter) was not enthusiastic about the weather.

11:12 - Some lady got knocked down or slipped. Didn't look pleasant. The raised painted stripes and manhole covers were quite slick.
10:17 - I have no idea. I think the mile 2 and/or mile 3 flags weren't quite right.
10:55 - maybe gorilla hill is in mile 7. Huge inflatable gorilla and banner strung across the street. About 20 people dressed as bananas.
10:33 - I touched my legs and realized they were numb. Another impromptu Sonic water stop.
11:49 - So my girls and Shannon. Posed for pictures, got a clif bar and fresh water bottle.
11:33 - Found a port-a-john with no line at Lake Hefner....I had a lot fluid to dispense.
10:33 - One of the relay exchange points. All the relay exchange points seemed busy, it was energizing.
10:42 - The 17 mile flag is at the base of the overpass (climb) over the Hefner Parkway. Passed a guy running barefoot.
10:07 - I can explain the faster time. Someone is blasting the Romantics at about 19.2. I felt no pain as I sang along with "What I Like About You". This would've been great at mile 25.

Great job keeping a consistent pace. That's how races are supposed to be run. In my first and probably last marathon, the first split mile average was about a minute and a half faster than the second split mile average. In other words, I petered out the second half, especially when those hills came along at Cherokee Park in Louisville at miles 13-18. Hills in the second half of a marathon are a killer.

Howzit
5/2/2011, 01:39 PM
Great job, congrats!

I don't think I have another one in my future, the training is just too brutal, and I just don't have the motivation anymore. The last one I was even contemplating was probably around 2006. I met up at Hefner with three other guys that were in training, and we were going to run around Hefner twice. It was cold, it was windy, and on the second lap, running straight into 30 mph winds, I finally realized, this wasn't fun anymore.

I don't think I've run over 10 miles since.

Howzit
5/2/2011, 01:40 PM
Great job keeping a consistent pace. That's how races are supposed to be run. In my first and probably last marathon, the first split mile average was about a minute and a half faster than the second split mile average. In other words, I petered out the second half, especially when those hills came along at Cherokee Park in Louisville at miles 13-18. Hills in the second half of a marathon are a killer.

Like they say, their are two halves to a marathon, the first 20 miles and the rest of it.

OhU1
5/2/2011, 02:01 PM
Great job RacerX. Anyone who did the full yesterday is a bad ***. You kept a good pace in horrible conditions.

Mjcpr
5/2/2011, 02:07 PM
Great job, congrats!

I don't think I have another one in my future, the training is just too brutal, and I just don't have the motivation anymore. The last one I was even contemplating was probably around 2006. I met up at Hefner with three other guys that were in training, and we were going to run around Hefner twice. It was cold, it was windy, and on the second lap, running straight into 30 mph winds, I finally realized, this wasn't fun anymore.

I don't think I've run over 10 miles since.

soonerbrat
5/2/2011, 02:37 PM

Below is my length facebook/e-mail post

11:49 - So my girls and Shannon. Posed for pictures, got a clif bar and fresh water bottle.

the Romantics was proabably at mile 21...we have a pretty good DJ.

RacerX
5/2/2011, 02:39 PM
the Romantics was proabably at mile 21...we have a pretty good DJ.

I bet you guys played the A-ha. The Romantics wasn't at an aid station. It was out of the back of an suv by itself.

RacerX
5/2/2011, 02:40 PM
Great job RacerX. Anyone who did the full yesterday is a bad ***. You kept a good pace in horrible conditions.

Thanks. The weather kept my mind off of the distance.