PDA

View Full Version : J. Nelson to the RAMS!

OK2U
4/30/2011, 05:22 PM
Good for him!
7th round. baby

Okie35
4/30/2011, 05:23 PM
you beat me lol but interesting that he went over beal

Soonerfan88
4/30/2011, 05:31 PM
Wow! I was hoping they would take Beal but am extremely happy for JNelson. Safety was one of STL needs in this draft so he just has to prove he's the man for the job.

OK2U
4/30/2011, 05:33 PM
Looks like they drafted him as a corner, rather than safety, according to ESPN

mightysooner
4/30/2011, 05:43 PM
Sweet! He'd be a good corner I think.

OK2U
4/30/2011, 05:51 PM
He was always a good corner but switched to safety at OU to fill a void last year.
I've read a few places that the coaches and players say he was the fastest kid on the team during the last 2/3 seasons.

oudavid1
4/30/2011, 05:58 PM
he was definitely the fastest player at OU for the past 2 years.
And I would draft him at corner. He was way better at it.
It's just in college, you put your best athletes at safety. (Colvin)

Okie35
4/30/2011, 05:59 PM
yea he was our fastest player

FirstAndGoalOU
4/30/2011, 06:09 PM
JfJGUu1dfbU

LRoss
4/30/2011, 06:34 PM
Man, that boy did make some plays, didn't he?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/30/2011, 06:35 PM
He saved the game for our unfocused Sooners in Cincy last yr.

CrimsonRez
4/30/2011, 06:36 PM
I love Jonathan Nelson...pause

StoopTroup
4/30/2011, 06:56 PM
Looking forward to see how Sam and the Rams do this year.

OU-HSV
5/1/2011, 10:01 AM
Hell ya!

OK2U
5/1/2011, 04:45 PM
It was too bad he couldn't work out at OU's pro day with a sore hammy. I cant remember if he went to the combine, or not, but I'm pretty sure he didn't work out if he did.
It would be interesting to see the stats (40 time) form his private workout he held in Dallas earlier this year.

VA Sooner
5/1/2011, 05:31 PM
He saved the game for our unfocused Sooners in Cincy last yr.

So True!!!

yermom
5/1/2011, 05:34 PM
that punched out ball in Cincy was pretty awesome

85sooners
5/2/2011, 01:18 PM
nelson is the man!!

Bishop3000
5/2/2011, 04:49 PM
he was definitely the fastest player at OU for the past 2 years.
And I would draft him at corner. He was way better at it.
It's just in college, you put your best athletes at safety. (Colvin)

very rarely...its just in college you do what you can to get your best athletes on the field at the same time and if one corner can play safety better than another corner he may be the one that moves.

boomermagic
5/2/2011, 06:01 PM
Way to go Nelson.

SoonerofAlabama
5/2/2011, 06:06 PM
Can't wait for September.

OK2U
5/12/2011, 04:12 PM
Area athlete's untiring pursuit of excellence rewarded in NFL Draft

The calls began in the fifth round on the third and final day of the 2011 NFL Draft for former Mansfield Summit defensive back Jonathan Nelson. He figured that was the earliest he would be drafted, if at all.
His family rushed to his side every time he picked up the phone on the couch inside their Arlington home when teams told him he might be their next selection. But the fifth round came and went, and so did the sixth without the call they were anticipating.
Finally, midway through the seventh and final round, a call came from the secretary of the St. Louis Rams, who got Nelson in touch with team general manager Billy Devaney, head coach Steve Spagnuolo, defensive coordinator Ken Flajole and secondary coach Clayton Lopez. They were taking the 5-foot-11, 198-pounder out of Oklahoma with the 229th pick of the draft.
"This time, for whatever reason, the one time my family didn't run toward me for the news was the time that I got drafted," said Nelson, a 2006 Summit graduate who was the Oklahoma Sooners' second-leading tackler last season as a strong safety. "I got off the phone, hung it up and didn't have too much of an excited face and just looked toward my mom and told her. She just blew up. Then my dad [former Minnesota Vikings receiver Brian Nelson] and my brother tumbled down the stairs. Then we all saw my name on the TV. People were going crazy."
Nelson, a well-spoken, former All-American player at Summit, reflects on the draft experience:
What was your feeling going into the draft on when and where you might be selected? I was a guy that was just hoping to be drafted. I knew that I was a late-round draft [prospect] and that my round projection could fluctuate anywhere from the fifth to seventh round.
Did you have any workouts with any teams, go to the combine, anything of that nature? I had a big private workout where about 20 or more scouts came and watched me work out [at Highland Park High School on April 4]. That went pretty well.
What were you doing to prepare for the draft? I did all of my training in California for three months with Athletes Performance. They did a really good job with everything up there.
Describe the feeling when you were drafted? The first thing that goes through your mind is all of those times in high school that you were working out when no one else was working out. Or all of those times in college when you gave it your all in a workout. When you sit back and think about all the work you put in, it is kind of jaw dropping. I'm just blessed that it happened.
Have you talked with former OU and current Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, and are you excited for that reunion? I briefly talked with him, but it was more so I could get [linebacker] James Laurinaitis' number to get acquainted with him. That should be cool to reunite with Sam because we are in the same OU class. I've obviously known him for a long time. Just to be up there with a guy from OU I know pretty well should be fun.
What have you heard from the Rams about their expectations for you? Is there a chance you could move to free safety? I don't have any expectations right now. I'm not really a guy that likes to dive into speculation. I'd rather just move up there, do my job and see where that takes me.
What have you been doing since you got drafted? With the lockout, the coaches can't call me and I can't call the coaches. I am just trying to stay in shape so when I get up there I can compete and have an immediate impact in whatever we are doing.
What can you say to those playing football at Mansfield Summit who have dreams of getting to where you are? I'd tell them that there were a whole lot of other guys that were just as good as me in football at some point. But the thing that separated me from those guys is hard work and sticking to it. You have to go through adversity and work really, really hard. You can't halfway do it. You can't just have one foot in the door. You have to be all the way in there. You don't want to find excuses.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/11/3068993/nelsons-untiring-pursuit-of-excellence.html#ixzz1MAu8t8qq

o

hawaii 5-0
5/13/2011, 11:59 AM
Looking forward to see how Sam and the Rams do this year.

The Rams also got the top receiver in the nation last year, Hawaii's Greg Salas. Not a burner but a possession receiver. Just throw it in his direction and he'll make the catch. He's also hard to bring down, getting a lot of yards after contact. Together, they'll convert a lot of 3rd downs.

5-0

Trump/ Cooter 2012

swardboy
5/13/2011, 01:10 PM
The kid from Boise State is a touch possession receiver too. Looking forward to seeing the ball actually CAUGHT when Sam throws it now.

Okie35
5/13/2011, 04:50 PM
The Rams also got the top receiver in the nation last year, Hawaii's Greg Salas. Not a burner but a possession receiver. Just throw it in his direction and he'll make the catch. He's also hard to bring down, getting a lot of yards after contact. Together, they'll convert a lot of 3rd downs.

5-0

Trump/ Cooter 2012

Yea Salas was a top receiver on my underrated draft list. Pettis too. Sam now has more than a few weapons. Add Clayton and Alexander. I think the Rams will possibly win 10 games this year.

MiccoMacey
5/14/2011, 10:19 AM
That's two more than they'll need to win their division.