PDA

View Full Version : Metoyer?

MO_Sooner
4/30/2011, 08:02 AM
Was reading comments on newsok.com, has Metoyer not qualified yet?

StoopTroup
4/30/2011, 11:59 AM
I got nothing.....just this off ESPN.

The more you watch this guy the better he gets. Given Metoyer's size, strength, speed and playmaking ability he has all the physical attributes you would like in today's wide receiver. He is a player physically capable of taking over a game and he makes plays in all three phases.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/player?id=93593&_slug_=trey-metoyer&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fcol lege-football%2frecruiting%2fplayer%3fid%3d93593%26_slu g_%3dtrey-metoyer

h3OB5UAuRh4

Trey Metoyer WR #17 from Whitehouse Texas. 6'3 198lb Junior 4.42 - 40
14-4A Offensive Player of the year. Kick/Punt Returner of the year,
77 catches, 1,169 yards, 15.6 average 15 TDs 2009 season.

Stats for career:

Sophomore - 74 catches, 1,105 yards, 14 TDs

Junior - 77 catches, 1,169 yards, 15 TDs

Senior - 101 catches, 1539 yards 23 TDs

Was also bumped up to a 5star recruit and will be playing in the Army All American game.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Trey-Metoyer-84739

StoopTroup
4/30/2011, 12:05 PM
Reminds me of Ryan Broyles.

oudavid1
4/30/2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, he didnt qualify to enroll early. But i hear that he is all good in the hood for this fall.

OUNC06
4/30/2011, 01:53 PM
Reminds me of Ryan Broyles.

He reminds me more of Malcolm Kelly with speed.

goingoneight
4/30/2011, 02:10 PM
We're awful concerned about a guy who hasn't done anything yet. No offense, just sayin.

StoopTroup
4/30/2011, 03:32 PM
We're awful concerned about a guy who hasn't done anything yet. No offense, just sayin.

it's why you don't see me much on the recruiting forum.

However....sometimes these kids with hands in HS are easier to spot as real talent.

My problem with Freshman is that even if we see them light it up, Rivals shows them as a top Pick, McDonalds makes them an All-American....they get this attitude like they are doing us a favor for signing here. They have trouble with school and classes.....then they disappear and are never heard from again.

Some kids are ready for the jump to College Star and some aren't. I agree with you that being concerned about a kid who hasn't even lined up with the team isn't to big a deal.....but the Red/White game is over and we don't have much to talk about until August either.

Sooner_Tuf
4/30/2011, 04:02 PM

There is probably someone you could talk about that. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

JRAM
5/1/2011, 08:57 PM
He just took his ACT last Sat.[19th]. He will not meet requirements until he gets his test back and scores above a certain score, which I don't know at this point. I do know that he will have to take summer courses to make up for some work that he didn't do well on during his high school years. Therefore , he won't report until August. From all reports though, he is expected to fulfill the requirements and play this fall. Lets keep our fingers crossed. The young man is one HELL of a football player that will make an impact early.

JLEW1818
5/1/2011, 09:19 PM
again, sounds like a Redshirt

NOVSooner
5/2/2011, 07:52 AM
looks pretty tough in the highlights. if he added 10-20 pounds of muscle he could be pretty mean with the ball in his hands

soonerloyal
5/2/2011, 08:01 AM
looks pretty tough in the highlights. if he added 10-20 pounds of muscle he could be pretty mean with the ball in his hands

*insert standard Schmitty-will-get-it-done comment here* :D

By all accounts, the kid is of good character and very talented. He'll have top-notch coaching and teammates to develop him ever further. It's up to him alone, though, to TCOB academically so that all those positive attributes can be put to good use.

BoomerJack
5/2/2011, 12:14 PM
The above mentions about taking ACT late and making up work in areas in which he didn't do well academically tells me he'll redshirt. Which is OK with me. I'd rather have a kid like this get grounded in the routine of college life, especially in the classroom, than risk having problems in year 2 or 3.

SoonerofAlabama
5/3/2011, 04:41 PM
Can he still qualify?

OK2U
6/1/2011, 07:32 PM
Apparently he graduated yesterday and made the honor roll, no news on his ACT scores, but this has got to be good new....

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 08:06 PM
Thank you for the post. Hopefully some good news soon.

JLEW1818
6/1/2011, 09:03 PM
RedShirt

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 09:08 PM
Is that news or your guess?

JLEW1818
6/1/2011, 09:10 PM
my guess for the last 5 months or so.

although, nobody is a "RS" until the last game of the season is over, assuming they didn't play

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 09:13 PM
I mean we are deep enough at WR right now, so it might be better for him. Either way he is not the #1 guy. If Still keeps improving, then he will be the main guy for 2012.

BoulderSooner79
6/1/2011, 09:32 PM
If Metoyer is as talented as advertised and can actually contribute during a title year, then screw the redshirt. He would probably declare early anyway.

Lots of 'ifs' though.

JLEW1818
6/2/2011, 08:24 AM
yah, but i don't think many OU WR's declare early. at least the good ones ;)

stoopified
6/6/2011, 09:27 AM
I ain't losing any sleep one way or another.I have been an OU fan too long to worry about wether we get this kid or that and if he makes grades or not.I have seen numerous bluechips bomb and many unheralded players shine.OU is bigger than any one(or for that matter) 3-4 players.

texaspokieokie
6/6/2011, 09:41 AM
If Metoyer is as talented as advertised and can actually contribute during a title year, then screw the redshirt. He would probably declare early anyway.

Lots of 'ifs' though.

My sentiments exactly !!!!!

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 11:22 AM
yah, but i don't think many OU WR's declare early. at least the good ones ;)

And not in potential NFL lockout years. ;)

BudBarryBobFan
6/14/2011, 02:28 PM
More details at

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/

So here is the gist of what's happening and what I feel necessitated this post to clear up the b.s. from the facts. Metoyer is currently taking two classes at Tyler Junior College in order to help him get qualified to enroll at OU. He has not signed with Tyler and is not on scholarship there. Taking JUCO classes is not all that uncommon for kids that need to do some extra work to get qualified, but when have details and facts ever got in the way of UT fan? Rarely? Ever?

JLEW1818
6/14/2011, 02:42 PM
hopefully he can pass TJC

i have had many friends take classes there. pretty easy. I lived in East texas for 3.5 years

JRAM
6/14/2011, 03:33 PM
The latest is that he is taking summer classes at Tyler Jr. College to attempt to get higher scores on some core classes from his time in HS. When that is completed, he will enroll at OU in the fall. Glad to see the young man wake up before it is too late to get good grades. Some never wake up. Anyway, he will be at OU in the fall.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2011, 03:36 PM
I hope his instructors at Tyler JC are not huge horn fans.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JRAM
6/14/2011, 03:37 PM
The up to date information is that Trey is taking classes at Tyler Jr. College this summer. The courses are for the purpose of upping the score on some core courses from his time in HS. Whe the summer school ends at the end of July, he will enroll at OU for the fall semester and be good to go for football. Congratulations to the young man.

NormanPride
6/14/2011, 04:06 PM
I heard the latest was that he was taking some classes at Tyler Junior College this summer. I bet it's to up some of his scores on core courses. He should be good to go for football at the end of summer.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2011, 04:13 PM
I heard the latest was that he was taking some classes at Tyler Junior College this summer. I bet it's to up some of his scores on core courses. He should be good to go for football at the end of summer.

I heard the exact opposite. My source says the latest is that that he was taking some classes at Tyler Junior College this summer. I bet it's to up some of his scores on core courses. He should be good to go for football at the end of summer.

Mississippi Sooner
6/14/2011, 04:20 PM
Tyler has a junior college? Why would anyone want to go to a junior college?

cvsooner
6/14/2011, 04:23 PM
I read at the Joklahoman's website that the latest is that he is taking summer classes at Tyler Jr. College to attempt to get higher scores on some core classes from his time in HS. Once that is completed, he will enroll at OU for the fall. He should be good to go for football at the end of summer.

JLEW1818
6/14/2011, 04:24 PM
Tyler has a junior college? Why would anyone want to go to a junior college?

save money, it's dirt cheap. Core classes

then transfer to a University.

Mississippi Sooner
6/14/2011, 04:26 PM
Core classes. Sounds kinda like some urban thing.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2011, 04:42 PM
Core classes. Sounds kinda like some urban thing.

No, they're meant to tighten the abs and lats.

BetterSoonerThanLater
6/14/2011, 04:50 PM
so, anyone have the latest on Metoyer?

cvsooner
6/14/2011, 06:10 PM
He's working on his abs and glutes.

Sooner98
6/15/2011, 09:31 AM
***UPDATE***

The rumors that I'm hearing from my source is that Trey is taking some classes at Tyler Junior College this summer, and that depending on his scores in said classes, he will be at OU this fall. Can someone here confirm this?

SoCaliSooner
6/15/2011, 10:06 AM
***UPDATE***

The rumors that I'm hearing from my source is that Trey is taking some classes at Tyler Junior College this summer, and that depending on his scores in said classes, he will be at OU this fall. Can someone here confirm this?

Perhaps Smoke Patterson will be in some classes...

Boomer.....
7/20/2011, 07:37 AM
Five-star OU signee Trey Metoyer likely to miss start of practices

With each passing day, excitement for the 2011 Oklahoma football season grows. But, along with that, so does skepticism over whether or not five-star recruit Trey Metoyer will be a part of it.

For fans, his qualification requirements can be confusing. For Metoyer, it's simple.

He is taking two classes at Tyler (Texas) Junior College, and said he needs an A in one and a B in the other.

“If I get them, I am on my way up there,” Metoyer said. “Everything is going well. I'm going to class every day and passing my tests and passing my daily grades, so it is looking good.”

But, even with the confidence, his attendance at the beginning of the Sooners' fall camp is not likely.

The second summer session at Tyler Junior College ends on August 11th. Sooners football players report August 3rd and begin fall camp on the 4th.

Do the math and it's clear that Metoyer will miss at good portion of camp.

The Sooners have 10 practices scheduled in that brief time period.

“With me coming in late, I'm going to go in and try to learn plays right away,” Metoyer said. “But I'm confident I will make it.”

And if he can make it to Norman, the athletic wide receiver from Whitehouse (Texas) High School will join an extremely potent offense.

Along with Metoyer, the Sooners return All-American Ryan Broyles, an emerging Kenny Stills and Heisman candidate Landry Jones.

“I'm loving it,” Metoyer said. “The main thing will by trying to make a name for ourselves and get that ring. We got one of the best squads out there.”

But, until his official enrollment at OU, the question of whether he will be part of that squad will still remain.

http://newsok.com/five-star-ou-signee-trey-metoyer-likely-to-miss-start-of-practices/article/3587007#ixzz1SeGZqTbY

delhalew
7/20/2011, 08:03 AM
Sounds like he is a kid that could use a semester to get settled in academically, before concentrating on football.

Soonermagik
7/20/2011, 08:06 AM
They are loaded at WR... can you say red shirt?

KantoSooner
7/20/2011, 08:40 AM
Much as I'd like to see him earlier, best to play for the long term and get him settled into college life.

JLEW1818
7/20/2011, 08:53 AM
I've said Red Shirt since last fall

OUVarsityXV
7/20/2011, 09:31 AM

Redshirt him for Blake Bell. I think Justin McCay is like him, just a little slower. Both are physical freaks. We are loaded. If we had McCay, Metoyer and Dejuan Miller on the field we would have the tallest receiving corps in the game!

texaspokieokie
7/20/2011, 10:01 AM

isn't that tiring ???
:P

NormanPride
7/20/2011, 10:15 AM
We've got enough depth to bring him along slowly. If he's that amazing we can do like we did with Finch and bring him in a few games into the season. It should give him time to get his classes in order, get used to college, and get a rhythm with the team.

I guarantee he already has a playbook, though. Unless that's some sort of violation?

LVSOONER15
7/20/2011, 10:24 AM
I wonder if it a violation as well

Widescreen
7/20/2011, 10:28 AM
I would think we wouldn't want the playbook in the hands of people who haven't even shown up yet. Besides, he seems to be having enough trouble with the books he already has. He needs to focus on those.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/20/2011, 12:03 PM
"We're Doomed" :eek:

MyT Oklahoma
7/20/2011, 12:07 PM
I agree with the redshirt idea. Give him the time to break into the college routine first and football second. It's not as if we aren't already loaded now as it is.

I'm just glad that he obviously wants to be a Sooner and hopefully he will be patient enough to wait his time to contribute.

OUmillenium
7/20/2011, 04:24 PM
Pat Jones was saying on the radio today that rumor around Tyler, Tx where Metoyer is taking classes, is that he will not be eligible for D1 next year.

SoonerNomad
7/20/2011, 04:55 PM
Pat Jones was saying on the radio today that rumor around Tyler, Tx where Metoyer is taking classes, is that he will not be eligible for D1 next year.

"Pat Jones saying" combined with "rumor" means we have absolutely no information to present on the issue.

sperry
7/20/2011, 04:56 PM
It's a shame. It's academic laziness that dug this hole that might be too deep to get out of. Just showing that you're trying is enough for most high school teachers to work with you and give you good grades. If he'd made good grades, he could have gotten into OU with a ridiculously low test score.

Collier11
7/20/2011, 06:07 PM
Is it laziness? Do you actually know that or are you talking out of your ***?

cccasooner2
7/20/2011, 06:50 PM
"Pat Jones saying" combined with "rumor" means we have absolutely no information to present on the issue.

But repeating no information will continue. :P

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 06:59 PM
Redshirt him for Blake Bell. I think Justin McCay is like him, just a little slower. Both are physical freaks. We are loaded. If we had McCay, Metoyer and Dejuan Miller on the field we would have the tallest receiving corps in the game!

Is McCay a big or was that Sheldon McLain? One of them I heard was a slot guy, one of them (80-something in spring practice vids) is a BIIIIG guy.

oudavid1
7/20/2011, 07:00 PM
***UPDATE***

I didnt know where he was, but from I understand he wont see the field this year.

1sooners1
7/20/2011, 07:02 PM

You lost me at "Pat Jones was saying...". When it comes to sports, it's hard for me to imagine why anyone gets paid for their opinion, especially this guy.

northspeter
7/20/2011, 07:04 PM
I didnt know where he was, but from I understand he wont see the field this year.

if you guys read the article linked... he's taking 2 classes at tyler jc... if he makes an A and a B in his 2 classes this summer he will be at OU come mid-august... roughly 10 days past the open of training camp... he has said that he's doing well in both classes and expects to be in norman...

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 07:13 PM
People really shouldn't grasp for straws with this kid barely qualifying. He could get here and still struggle academically. When a young guy has problems to get settled, to me it's well worth the wait to redshirt them. Broyles was worth the wait.

BoulderSooner79
7/20/2011, 07:15 PM
Maybe Badger will post a poll on this.

Metoyer :

- will enroll at OU in August '11
- will enroll at OU in January '12
- will enroll at a JC and then at OU in '13
- will never pull on a Sooner jersey
- likes turtles

oudavid1
7/20/2011, 09:15 PM
if you guys read the article linked... he's taking 2 classes at tyler jc... if he makes an A and a B in his 2 classes this summer he will be at OU come mid-august... roughly 10 days past the open of training camp... he has said that he's doing well in both classes and expects to be in norman...

Oh well I didnt get my information from that article, and he still wont play to my knowledge.

Collier11
7/20/2011, 09:21 PM
Until he does or doesnt finish those classes, none of you have a clue

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 09:30 PM
FTR, Hale and the Morning Sports Animal guys say his name is pronounced "Meh-tire."

No weirder than "High-pill." :D

cccasooner2
8/4/2011, 08:51 PM
He will have no. 17 according to the Aug. 4 roster.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

meoveryouxinfinity
8/4/2011, 08:57 PM
but the real question is does he like turtles? who doesn't, right??

Mississippi Sooner
8/4/2011, 08:58 PM
And his name is pronounced meh-trah-er. Or something like that.

SoonerofAlabama
8/4/2011, 08:59 PM
He will have no. 17 according to the Aug. 4 roster.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

Well, thats a good sign.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/4/2011, 09:00 PM
btw i heard that jimmy winchester is no longer a walk on.... aka scholarship!!! congrats

SoonerofAlabama
8/4/2011, 09:01 PM
btw i heard that jimmy winchester is no longer a walk on.... aka scholarship!!! congrats

Awesome. Little Jimmy did it!

Sooner_Tuf
8/5/2011, 02:29 AM
Awesome. Little Jimmy did it!

Winchester is 6'2" 200#. Maybe you were thinking of Jimmy Stevens?

SoonerofAlabama
8/5/2011, 02:33 AM
Winchester is 6'2" 200#. Maybe you were thinking of Jimmy Stevens?

Yeah, he originally posted Jimmy made scholarship, and I thought of Stevens first. :O

NormanPride
8/5/2011, 08:47 AM
Punt returners gon get got by little Jimmy!

badger
8/5/2011, 08:48 AM

Metoyer :

- likes turtles

Polls are for offseason. Didn't you see OU was practicin' yesterday? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2011, 10:21 AM

That is well deserved good news, IMO.

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2011, 11:16 AM

Metoyer :

- likes turtles

Polls are for offseason. Didn't you see OU was practicin' yesterday? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seems there was a delay in the mail or something :D. But if you were still posting polls (or poles), this one would still be valid. :O

OUMallen
8/5/2011, 11:25 AM
You lost me at "Pat Jones was saying...". When it comes to sports, it's hard for me to imagine why anyone gets paid for their opinion, especially this guy.

Yeah because he has no relevant experience or insight, nor does he have any ties to our region. :rolleyes:

meoveryouxinfinity
8/5/2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, he originally posted Jimmy made scholarship, and I thought of Stevens first. :O

Jimmy= a nickname for James. And he goes by jimmy around my friends

KNEE BRACE
8/5/2011, 03:20 PM
When it comes to football on the Animal, Pat Jones is the only one worth listening to.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/5/2011, 03:35 PM
When it comes to football on the Animal, Pat Jones is the only one worth listening to.

LMAO! Thanks for the laugh... That whole radio station is a joke!

cccasooner2
8/5/2011, 04:37 PM
That is well deserved good news, IMO.

I was impressed with his 8/5 workouts as a receiver. He is looking pretty good as a receiver. Maybe they have a DS eligible play in the works? (If there is such a thing.) :)

Sooner_Tuf
8/5/2011, 05:10 PM
LMAO! Thanks for the laugh... That whole radio station is a joke!

Still doesn't change the fact that Pat Jones is the only one that really knows football there. How much NFL experience do you have?

mgsooner
8/5/2011, 05:11 PM
"Well quite honestly I only actually watched about 5 minutes of it, guys. I was too busy smoking cigars on the golf course. I still can't believe you guys pay me to do this."

Sincerely,

Pat Jones

REDREX
8/5/2011, 05:28 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that Pat Jones is the only one that really knows football there. How much NFL experience do you have?---Pat Jones is by far the best---no question

BoomerJ
8/5/2011, 09:26 PM
I'll admit that Pat Jones knows more about football than I ever will, but he is awful for radio and what not.

Serenity Now
8/6/2011, 10:37 PM
I think Pat's sharp. I love his schtick. I think people who don't like him can't get past the OSU thing.

1sooners1
8/6/2011, 11:43 PM
Not the "OSU thing" at all for me. Just don't like his delivery or his Hay-Seed twang.

BlackwellSooner
8/7/2011, 12:03 AM

Correct pronunciation is met-wah-YAY

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 12:06 AM

No, I think it's Metta-World-Peace. :)

cccasooner2
8/7/2011, 12:31 AM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157184

cccasooner2
8/7/2011, 12:32 AM
FTR, Hale and the Morning Sports Animal guys say his name is pronounced "Meh-tire."

No weirder than "High-pill." :D

cccasooner2
8/7/2011, 12:33 AM

CaliBornSoonerBred
8/11/2011, 02:48 PM
BUMP so no new threads are started since the Metoyer watch is officially on

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2011, 04:44 PM
Hearing he passed his classes and is waiting on the Clearinghouse to make him eligible.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/11/2011, 04:45 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that Pat Jones is the only one that really knows football there. How much NFL experience do you have?

I didn't get drafted or anything but I was on the KC Chiefs practice squad a few years back. I know, it's not much and I apologize. I'm sure you were a Pro-Bowl type of guy... Please forgive me!!!

misplacedsooner
8/11/2011, 05:24 PM
anyone that has been in a pro camp as a participant has got my respect...rock on bro!!

LVSOONER15
8/11/2011, 05:36 PM
Same here

Sooner_Tuf
8/11/2011, 08:04 PM
I didn't get drafted or anything but I was on the KC Chiefs practice squad a few years back. I know, it's not much and I apologize. I'm sure you were a Pro-Bowl type of guy... Please forgive me!!!

That's awesome. Pat Jones spent ten years in the NFL.

Why did you leave? You didn't want to play?

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/11/2011, 08:13 PM

Hey me too! Small world

picasso
8/11/2011, 08:16 PM
I played some Nerf football back inna day.

misplacedsooner
8/11/2011, 08:49 PM
That's awesome. Pat Jones spent ten years in the NFL.

Why did you leave? You didn't want to play?

didnt see pat jones playing or practicing in the nfl or any professional league.

C&CDean
8/11/2011, 08:58 PM
Good God there's a lot of suckers around here.

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2011, 10:10 PM
Good God there's a lot of suckers around here.

Blo-pop or tootsie roll?

BoomerJ
8/11/2011, 10:43 PM
Pat Jones went to the Foghorn Leghorn School of Broadcasting.

KNEE BRACE
8/11/2011, 10:56 PM

you're right, it's not much.