PDA

View Full Version : Q. Carter

Soonermagik
4/29/2011, 09:49 PM
Man, I feel bad for him. I know he's really disappointed, because he thought he would be a 2nd round guy and at worst a 3rd round guy. :(

Surely he will land in the 4th round, right? He's not super fast, but he has good ball skills.

CrimsonRez
4/29/2011, 09:50 PM
Undrafted Free Agent, next year superbowl MVP, calling it now.

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 09:54 PM
Sometimes you can play Europe and if you light it up over there....you can make your way back.....

I hope he doesn't give up.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 09:58 PM
In badgers poll, I had sooners going in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th..carter could go in either the 4th or 5th

SoonerDan74012
4/29/2011, 09:59 PM
In badgers poll, I had sooners going in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th..carter could go in either the 4th or 5th

Dallas baby!!!!!:cool:

Curly Bill
4/29/2011, 10:23 PM
I always thought 4th round at best. Looks like on this I'm right, just as I was on DM being a 3rd rounder. Some of you guys always see our players through those crimson glasses, and rate them considerable higher than what they warrant.

Curly Bill
4/29/2011, 10:24 PM
I'm a Dallas fan, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot with them, and they definitely do need safety help, so it could be a good fit.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 10:28 PM
He had some great plays in the run game, but I can point out some bad, bad technique in the air force game, and a few other times that he just got beat but the other team couldn't or didn't try to take advantage of it..

He improved a lot in the offseason, but still has a long way to go

Curly Bill
4/29/2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I never thought he was especially good in coverage, and in the NFL you better be able to cover, even as a safety.

Curly Bill
4/29/2011, 10:33 PM
I know he's all kinds of athletic but to me he never seemed to be what I'd term an instinctive player.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 10:40 PM
There was a play against air force where he was moving with the guy in motion..the player simply reversed and went in motion the other way and he never changed direction...that player scored a touchdown on a swing out play because carter was so far away he couldn't catch him

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/30/2011, 01:20 AM
There was a play against air force where he was moving with the guy in motion..the player simply reversed and went in motion the other way and he never changed direction...that player scored a touchdown on a swing out play because carter was so far away he couldn't catch him

I'd agree with curly about not being an instinctive player, but that was true of a lot of the guys we've had on defense the last several years. They are really good at recognizing plays/formations that they've practiced against, but they don't seem to grasp the defensive principles well enough to adapt to new wrinkles unveiled in games. Throughout the season, there were a number of examples of Carter flowing at incorrect angles, failing to recognize the play, and generally being soft in run support/safety help over the top.

In college, you can get away with these things and still be an all american (see Thatcher, JT), but the pros are all about precision. His film makes him come across a lot rougher than he is because there is such a vast difference in his play from one play to the next and the tendency of scouts is to weight film negatives more highly than film positives.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2011, 01:32 AM
Right on...Even for me, I can find 20 negatives faster than I can find 5 positives on most players...Of course the negatives are emphasized to see if they are correctable or not by a good position coach.

Curly Bill
4/30/2011, 01:35 AM
Damn, you guys agreeting with me, I need to make those statements part of my sig. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2011, 01:37 AM
Don't worry, we'll get over whatever is ailing us soon

oudavid1
4/30/2011, 01:51 AM
He was a good player. But he did things that were really dumb. He led the team in leading with his helmet. Couldnt stand that shiz.

Curly Bill
4/30/2011, 01:58 AM
Don't worry, we'll get over whatever is ailing us soon

I tried to SPEK ya for your mean comment but wasn't allowed to. :D

SanJoaquinSooner
4/30/2011, 11:39 AM
Denver in 4th

Okie35
4/30/2011, 11:43 AM
Yup he'll fit in at Denver. They're going to have a good secondary.

AZSOONER
4/30/2011, 11:46 AM
2 Sooners drafted, still waitin on Beal.

MojoRisen
4/30/2011, 11:53 AM
Dallas was pissed- q will be good.

Soonermagik
4/30/2011, 12:29 PM
Congrats to Q!! I'm thinking he can get on the field quick, because Denver's D wan't great last year!!

AlboSooner
4/30/2011, 12:38 PM
Didn't think Q would slip this far

mightysooner
4/30/2011, 12:39 PM
Agree that he was really good in run support but got clowned in coverage quite a bit. Also agree he wasn't the most instinctive player.

Okie35
4/30/2011, 01:51 PM
Agree that he was really good in run support but got clowned in coverage quite a bit. Also agree he wasn't the most instinctive player.

He'll be coached up plus he'll be w/ a hall of fame DB that'll show him the ropes.

mightysooner
4/30/2011, 02:02 PM
He'll be coached up plus he'll be w/ a hall of fame DB that'll show him the ropes.

That's what I'm hoping. He's got some raw skills that I hope can be developed by an NFL coach and come full circle. I've never thought BJW could develop DB's worth a damn so Quinton may yet come into his own.

Okie35
4/30/2011, 02:34 PM
That's what I'm hoping. He's got some raw skills that I hope can be developed by an NFL coach and come full circle. I've never thought BJW could develop DB's worth a damn so Quinton may yet come into his own.

Yea me too, John Fox is a good defensive coach (especially w/ DBs) so we'll see.

SoonerofAlabama
5/2/2011, 06:07 PM
Quinton is a hard hitter, for sure, but he has some work to do.

SoonerDan74012
5/2/2011, 06:44 PM
I wanted him in a Dallas uni soooo bad.:mad: At least we got the human touchdown machine. :D

bluedogok
5/3/2011, 09:43 PM
Here is a blurb about Carter in The Denver Post.

The Denver Post - Lack of interest in QB Blaine Gabbert changed Broncos' draft plans (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17978871)
• Entering the draft, the Broncos ranked UCLA's Rahim Moore as their No. 1 safety and Oklahoma's Quinton Carter as No. 2. Most years, the top- rated safety goes midway through the first round, and the No. 2 safety goes late in the first round or in the top of the second round.

The Broncos believe they got the best safety in the second round and the second-best in the fourth. It was those 1-2 rankings of Moore and Carter that led the Broncos to go safety instead of, say, defensive tackle.

By the time they drafted Moore in the second round, five defensive tackles already were gone. And 13 defensive tackles had been selected by the time the Broncos drafted Carter.

This is what Xanders and Elway meant when they said in their postdraft news conference that they "stayed true to their board."