PDA

View Full Version : Insincere Republicans, Justified Cynicism

BoomerJack
4/29/2011, 11:56 AM
by: Paul Krugman, Krugman & Co. Thursday 28 April 2011

Republicans are deeply, sincerely concerned about the budget deficit. That’s why, in unveiling their plan last week, they declared themselves willing to give ground on their traditional priorities, signaling a readiness to accept higher taxes on the wealthy and reduced defense spending as part of a deficit-reduction deal.

Oh, wait.

You mean they didn’t do anything like that?

You mean that even while warning about an imminent fiscal crisis, they actually tried to cut taxes on the rich to their lowest level since 1931?

Why, you might actually think that they’re not sincerely concerned about the deficit. But that can’t be true, since they keep saying that they are.

O.K., you get the point. It’s truly amazing that so many commentators — people who presumably know something about the relationship, or lack thereof, between what politicians say and what they do — are willing to accept at face value claims of deep, sincere concern about the deficit from people whose actual priorities are demonstrated by their absolute unwillingness to sacrifice anything they want in the name of deficit reduction.

Duncan Black, better known by his pseudonym, Atrios, likes to say in his blog, Eschaton, that nobody cares about the deficit. Basically, that’s right.

“For the millionth time, the Ryan plan isn’t a deficit reduction plan, it’s a cut tax on rich people plan,” he wrote recently. “And of course it is, because nobody cares about the deficit, and most of the people who claim to just care about cutting taxes on rich people. The deficit talk is just a way to sucker gullible beltway scribes into writing nice things about it.”

Look, we’ve been here before. The obvious parallel in my mind is what happened after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, when more or less the same people declared themselves totally focused on fighting terrorism — but unwilling to give up anything they wanted, and in fact eagerly using the terrorist threat as an excuse to grab even more goodies.

I mean, within 48 hours of the attack congressional Republicans were preparing their response: a cut in the capital gains tax; in the immediate aftermath, the Bush administration fought hard to keep airport security in private hands.

Somehow, responding to terrorism only involved doing things the administration wanted to do anyway: invading Iraq, torturing people, tapping our phones, etc.

For what it’s worth, President Obama is actually offering to make some sacrifices on the budget; call it political positioning if you like, but that’s infinitely more than his opponents are doing.

So it’s easy to be completely cynical about self-proclaimed deficit hawks — and the cynicism is totally justified. There’s no sincerity here.

Good article IMHO.

Caboose
4/29/2011, 11:59 AM
Its hard to take it seriously in the face of so much cognitive dissonance.

delhalew
4/29/2011, 12:00 PM
Are you being serious? I have a hard time telling anymore.

NormanPride
4/29/2011, 12:20 PM
This is a joke. Sure there's some merit to the argument, but the writing is so terrible that all it will do is cause more anger and stupidity. Good job!

MsProudSooner
4/29/2011, 12:21 PM
For what it’s worth, President Obama is actually offering to make some sacrifices on the budget

This is how the process is supposed to work. Give and take and some compromise. Unfortunately, the radical right and the ultra left don't know the meaning of these words.

picasso
4/29/2011, 12:26 PM
Sincerity? Oh yes, DC is chock full of it. On both sides.

Fart.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/29/2011, 12:36 PM
This is how the process is supposed to work. Give and take and some compromise. Unfortunately, the radical right and the ultra left don't know the meaning of these words.

We are so far in debt, that there is no more ground to give. We need to cut, cut deep until we once again have fiscal responsibility. The Great Society is over and has been for a long time, it is only now becoming evident by the deficits we are running. This spending must stop! Social Security, Welfare, HUD, Food stamps, ect. must be curtailed or revamped...

Local TV did a story last night on Texas food stamp money being spent in Alaska, Hawaii, California and NY. Because of previous scrutiny by the press, the FEDGOV passed a rule that said the spending particulars cannot be released and are unreleasable. How the hell do you audit that?

MsProudSooner
4/29/2011, 01:11 PM
We are so far in debt, that there is no more ground to give. We need to cut, cut deep until we once again have fiscal responsibility. The Great Society is over and has been for a long time, it is only now becoming evident by the deficits we are running. This spending must stop! Social Security, Welfare, HUD, Food stamps, ect. must be curtailed or revamped...

Local TV did a story last night on Texas food stamp money being spent in Alaska, Hawaii, California and NY. Because of previous scrutiny by the press, the FEDGOV passed a rule that said the spending particulars cannot be released and are unreleasable. How the hell do you audit that?

When my own budget is out of balance, getting it back in balance is a 2 step process.

1) Cut the fat.
2) Increase the revenue.

The far right will have no credibility until they propose plans that increase the revenue but don't include a tax cut for the rich.

soonercoop1
4/29/2011, 03:08 PM
Krugman...:D

Cornfed
4/29/2011, 03:13 PM
So when does the the dollar menu become the 2 dollar menu???

TheHumanAlphabet
4/29/2011, 03:15 PM
When my own budget is out of balance, getting it back in balance is a 2 step process.

1) Cut the fat.
2) Increase the revenue.

The far right will have no credibility until they propose plans that increase the revenue but don't include a tax cut for the rich.

I disagree on the tax issue, to an extent.

If we totally revamp the tax system, say a flat tax for example, kill deductions, and make everyone pay something or zero (for the poorest) and not get more money in return than they put in, then we can probably increase revenue. The tax code is an abortion and we need to end all the gimme's the House puts in... (though I know someone will say that their job)

Make the tax code simple and make it relevant. And make it so more than 48 - 52% of the Americans are paying income tax.

okie52
4/29/2011, 04:06 PM

1) Cut the fat.
2) Increase the revenue.

But you are okay with keeping your tax cut.

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 04:47 PM
Posts like this are RLIMC posts.

Post a link with your stuff and make a positive point.

If negative BS is all you have....go out and kick your cat in the backyard.

49r
4/29/2011, 05:29 PM
Link: http://www.truthout.org/insincere-republicans-justified-cynicism/1303998717 (not too hard to find...)

Positive point? It's an op-ed piece I guess. His grammar wasn't too bad. The writing style was okay, made it pretty easy to read.

Satisfied?

49r
4/29/2011, 05:30 PM
...and yes, for the record, it isn't any different than the drivel RLIMC posts incessantly.

Serenity Now
4/29/2011, 06:44 PM

1) Cut the fat.
2) Increase the revenue.

Oh, so true!!!!!!

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 07:23 PM
Link: http://www.truthout.org/insincere-republicans-justified-cynicism/1303998717 (not too hard to find...)

Positive point? It's an op-ed piece I guess. His grammar wasn't too bad. The writing style was okay, made it pretty easy to read.

Satisfied?

It's just cool to see a source. Some of the crap that gets posted here is so bad....it seems like someone might be just posting it here to **** with people. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/29/2011, 08:48 PM
...and yes, for the record, it isn't any different than the drivel RLIMC posts incessantly.Chastisement by your foolish as* is a badge of honor. You may continue!

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 10:14 PM
Ahhhhh......it's the Commander of the USS Click and Paste

soonercruiser
4/29/2011, 10:28 PM
Krugman...:D

Ya, Krugman. :rolleyes:
Ariana Huffington and Oprah were at the royal wedding and were too drunk to chime in.
:pop:

The definition of "INSINCERE" is the Demoncratic efforts at dealing with the deficit!

soonercoop1
5/1/2011, 08:19 AM

1) Cut the fat.
2) Increase the revenue.

Right and we should give a raging alcoholic more alcohol why exactly?

Midtowner
5/1/2011, 05:47 PM
Right and we should give a raging alcoholic more alcohol why exactly?

Stupid analogy. We're talking fiscal policy, not alcohol. I hate to sound like I'm stating the obvious (no, I'm actually fine with that), but the two are pretty different.

I suppose the line of thinking is that Congress is addicted to spending and if you give 'em more cash, they'll have to spend it.

That's a dumb argument for one simple reason: They are already spending A LOT more than they take in. And quite simply, there are two ways to fix that, and you have to do both: Increase revenue, cut spending. The end.

A lot of revenue could probably be captured if the IRS investigatory offices were properly funded. Republicans have been blocking that for years. You do think it's a good thing for everyone to pay their fair share, right? A lot of revenue could also be captured if the IRS had the resources to pursue the ultra-wealthy in some of their schemes. A lot of those foreign investment corps, off-shore accounts, etc., are just plain illegal. If the IRS was powerful enough to enforce current law, an investment in the IRS might be one of the few things the government can pump money into that'll actually give us a nice ROI.

But taxes will probably have to go up eventually. And they probably would be better managed by folks like you and me than the folks who are living paycheck to paycheck. And if you are one of those folks who lives paycheck to paycheck, then perhaps it's time you stop lapping up the partisan rhetoric and vote in your own best interests.

AlbqSooner
5/1/2011, 06:22 PM
My daddy said he was all in favor of increasing taxes on the rich until he found out the dumbarses in D.C. think he is rich.

Chuck Bao
5/1/2011, 06:30 PM
Stupid analogy. We're talking fiscal policy, not alcohol. I hate to sound like I'm stating the obvious (no, I'm actually fine with that), but the two are pretty different.

I suppose the line of thinking is that Congress is addicted to spending and if you give 'em more cash, they'll have to spend it.

That's a dumb argument for one simple reason: They are already spending A LOT more than they take in. And quite simply, there are two ways to fix that, and you have to do both: Increase revenue, cut spending. The end.

A lot of revenue could probably be captured if the IRS investigatory offices were properly funded. Republicans have been blocking that for years. You do think it's a good thing for everyone to pay their fair share, right? A lot of revenue could also be captured if the IRS had the resources to pursue the ultra-wealthy in some of their schemes. A lot of those foreign investment corps, off-shore accounts, etc., are just plain illegal. If the IRS was powerful enough to enforce current law, an investment in the IRS might be one of the few things the government can pump money into that'll actually give us a nice ROI.

But taxes will probably have to go up eventually. And they probably would be better managed by folks like you and me than the folks who are living paycheck to paycheck. And if you are one of those folks who lives paycheck to paycheck, then perhaps it's time you stop lapping up the partisan rhetoric and vote in your own best interests.

Honestly, I can't help but feel depressed when thinking about our political and economic future. Somehow, we seem to have migrated to the worst of all possible worlds. Democrats just want to spend and Republicans just want to cut taxes. The net result is huge deficits and that will continue to grow until there is a crisis and that crisis will spark huge upheaval for our capitalistic system, democracy and freedom.

In my opinion, the best of all possible worlds would be to raise taxes and cut spending during years of prosperity and to lower taxes and increase spending during the recession years. But, that "best of all possible worlds" scenario will never happen because we, as a nation, have no discipline, will power or leadership to do the right thing.

I just hope that it is not an indication of the future of capitalism, democracy and freedom, not only for our own country but for the rest of the world.

That is pretty pessimistic, I know.

This reminds me of the very old and very true adage often said by journalists - you can have accuracy or quality or timeliness, but you can only have 2 out of the three.

I am growing increasing afraid that we will eventually have to make a similar choice on our future. You can have capitalism or democracy or freedom - which 2 out of the 3 would you select?

I can't decide and I get sick thinking about it.

Midtowner
5/1/2011, 07:54 PM
These are the sorts of problems Rome could only work out by appointing someone dictator.

That's a scary thought.

MsProudSooner2
5/1/2011, 07:59 PM
But you are okay with keeping your tax cut.

As far as I know, I'm not getting any tax cut. But I wouldn't have any problem at all with paying a little bit more of what I make as long as I know those who make 4, 5 or 10 times than I do are paying more, too.

delhalew
5/1/2011, 08:04 PM
As far as I know, I'm not getting any tax cut. But I wouldn't have any problem at all with paying a little bit more of what I make as long as I know those who make 4, 5 or 10 times than I do are paying more, too.

I am certain I can spend my money more wisely than da gub'ment. If that is not the case for you, I hear they take checks.

okie52
5/1/2011, 08:55 PM

Everyone's getting a tax cut if you are using the Bush tax cuts as a reference point or Clinton's old tax marginal rates.

The rich tax cuts cost the country 700 billion...everybody elses cost the country 3.2 Trillion. Somehow I only hear about tax cuts for the rich.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/2/2011, 01:31 AM
I am certain I can spend my money more wisely than da gub'ment. If that is not the case for you, I hear they take checks.Dat gubment is WAY outa its prescribed(legal) bounds. It's crunch time, unfortunately.

texaspokieokie
5/2/2011, 09:18 AM
Posts like this are RLIMC posts.

Post a link with your stuff and make a positive point.

If negative BS is all you have....go out and kick your cat in the backyard.

if all negative posts were deleted, this board would have only 2 or 3 threadfs.:D