4/28/2011, 09:41 PM
Kiper is a dip ****!
dip $hit

oumartin
4/28/2011, 09:59 PM
who?

Quik Sand
4/28/2011, 10:28 PM
ESPN showed a clip of some NFL GM clowning on Kiper, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?" "Get better advice from my neighbor the mailman (or some regular profession)"

salth2o
4/28/2011, 10:30 PM
ESPN showed a clip of some NFL GM clowning on Kiper, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?" "Get better advice from my neighbor the mailman (or some regular profession)"

It was the Colts GM, Bill Tobin, in 1994. :)

agoo758
4/28/2011, 11:40 PM
"Not a better coach in college football than Kirk Ferentz"

This did not happen. Please tell me this is a prank collier.

hawaii 5-0
4/29/2011, 12:58 AM
Was Mel Kiper even there? All I saw was Eddie Munster making lots of bad predictions.

5-0

Trump/ Ferentz 2012

sooner59
4/29/2011, 01:32 AM
I love prank colliering people.

IronHorseSooner
4/29/2011, 08:00 AM
Hey, it looks like Kiper's "lock 1st round QB- Jimmy Claussen" just got replaced!

stoopified
4/29/2011, 08:16 AM
Hey, it looks like Kiper's "lock 1st round QB- Jimmy Claussen" just got replaced!Not really Farentz is a very good coach,maybe not top 10 elite but Top 20.Iowa is NOT,an easy place to win,why do you think Bob is at OU and not his alma mater?

badger
4/29/2011, 09:56 AM
Not really Farentz is a very good coach,maybe not top 10 elite but Top 20.Iowa is NOT,an easy place to win,why do you think Bob is at OU and not his alma mater?

This is why Kirk makes more than most coaches at top programs - to make sure he doesn't leave. Boo hoo, Iowa's not easy place to win? He gets paid like he's won multiple championships!

On June 2, 2006, Ferentz became the highest paid coach in the Big Ten and third highest in college football when he was given a restructured contract that boosted his annual salary to $2.7 million.[

His current contract pays him $3.65 million annually, if I'm not mistaken... and I don't think that includes incentives, not that he earns em.

I think all he did was take them to an Orange Bowl (because remember, we stole the Big Ten's Rose Bowl berth in the 2002-03 season, lol). $3.65 million gives you an Orange Bowl... almost 10 years ago.

He doesn't suck, but he's paid like he's actually done something of Stoops-caliber.

EDIT: A partial retraction: TWO orange bowls... one win, one loss. And two Big Ten titles, 2002 and 2004. In 2004, Meatchicken stole the Rose Bowl berth, making Iowa settle for the Capitol One Bowl. Overall, I stand by my previous statement that Kirk is paid to stay in Iowa, and he's paid like he's accomplished far more than he actually has. During his Iowa tenure (since 99), he has recorded three losing seasons (his first two and a 6-7 season in 2005).

NormanPride
4/29/2011, 10:00 AM
Kirk Ferentz is really good at winning games when he's about to be fired. So this season they will be awesome since there's that whole steroid scandal.

King Crimson
4/29/2011, 10:19 AM
Kirk Ferentz is the new Barry Alvarez. win 8 games a year, you are God in the media, somehow.

Hooray?

badger
4/29/2011, 10:39 AM
Kirk Ferentz is the new Barry Alvarez. win 8 games a year, you are God in the media, somehow.

Hooray?

Barry, unlike Kirk, took his usually-meh Big Ten football program to a Rose Bowl. Repeatedly. And won. Repeatedly. And his Heisman candidate wasn't just a candidate.

(yes, I realize that Wisconsin just lost the Rose Bowl to TCU, but Barry's not coach anymore, hehe. Back when Barry was coaching, Wisconsin WON rose bowls, heh)

NormanPride
4/29/2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah. Barry won consistently. Ferentz likes to throw the occasional 10 win season in with all the 4 and 6 win ones now and then.

Rocko
4/29/2011, 11:01 AM
He does it again! http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/28227/too-early-to-look-ahead-to-the-2012-nah

He placed Brandon Weeden (4) and Ryan Tannehill (5) in his top 5 at QB for next years draft, both over Landry Jones. Wow.

badger
4/29/2011, 11:08 AM
He does it again! http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/28227/too-early-to-look-ahead-to-the-2012-nah

He placed Brandon Weeden (4) and Ryan Tannehill (5) in his top 5 at QB for next years draft, both over Landry Jones. Wow.

Save it for future reference, but don't ink in LJ as the top quarterback just yet. The regular season has a way of exposing seemingly sure-fire draft prospects (the Jevan Sneads).

I, of course, hope LJ gets the Heisman wins every game with outstanding stats and is the consensus #1 overall pick.

oudavid1
4/29/2011, 11:25 AM

LOL

You know, it is possible he was just being nice.

I mean its not like anyone goes to him for college football head coaching evaluations.

sooner59
4/29/2011, 11:35 AM
He wants to poison Todd McShay.

tfoolry
4/29/2011, 11:37 AM
Just to clarify his statement; he's not saying he's the best coach but that there's none better. It's definitely argumentative so there are several coaches including Stoops that the statement could apply to. As much as I love Bob, I doubt he could do a "better" job at Iowa than what Ferentz has done. It's tough to recruit there with little tradition & they have academic standards, unlike places like K-State that rose out of the dust in the 90s, so it's difficult to bring in top level talent that can spell their name.

oudavid1
4/29/2011, 11:41 AM
Just to clarify his statement; he's not saying he's the best coach but that there's none better. It's definitely argumentative so there are several coaches including Stoops that the statement could apply to. As much as I love Bob, I doubt he could do a "better" job at Iowa than what Ferentz has done. It's tough to recruit there with little tradition & they have academic standards, unlike places like K-State that rose out of the dust in the 90s, so it's difficult to bring in top level talent that can spell their name.

i would agree mostly, but i think Bob would have serious advantages coming in at Iowa. Recruits everywhere (texas, florida, cali) know who he is and he has a ring (and 7 conf titles) to his cred. Not to mention he went to Iowa.

badger
4/29/2011, 11:42 AM
He wants to poison Todd McShay.

nope, they love each other :D
http://pathtothedraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/6a00d83451b84f69e201156f6f9666970b-550wi.png

King Crimson
4/29/2011, 05:08 PM
Barry, unlike Kirk, took his usually-meh Big Ten football program to a Rose Bowl. Repeatedly. And won. Repeatedly. And his Heisman candidate wasn't just a candidate.

(yes, I realize that Wisconsin just lost the Rose Bowl to TCU, but Barry's not coach anymore, hehe. Back when Barry was coaching, Wisconsin WON rose bowls, heh)

premised on the idea that people think the Rose Bowl means something (a peculiar fetish of Big Ten and Pac fans). the Grandaddy is the most overrated sporting event ever, minus the Super Bowl.

how many times prior to the BCS did the Rose Bowl determine the eventual national champion? not many and certainly less than the Orange, Sugar or Fiesta.

woohoo, Rose Bowl.

few coaches got more "love" for winning 8 games a year than Barry Alvarez. the leg-humping was palpable....Lee Corso, Herbstreit......their careers are in which conference? to the rest of us, meh.

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 05:14 PM

LOL

You betta STFU Birthday Boy!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/19248/ferentzgotagun3.jpg

badger
4/29/2011, 05:18 PM
premised on the idea that people think the Rose Bowl means something (a peculiar fetish of Big Ten and Pac fans). the Grandaddy is the most overrated sporting event ever, minus the Super Bowl.

how many times prior to the BCS did the Rose Bowl determine the eventual national champion? not many and certainly less than the Orange, Sugar or Fiesta.

woohoo, Rose Bowl.

Dunno bout you, but I kind of liked when OU got to go. It was a very fun bowl trip :)

As for if it means something, it is usually the reward for winning the conference. OU won the Big 12 in 2002, and got rewarded with a Rose Bowl berth. Wisconsin won the Big Ten (or at least a share of the title - remember, they don't do conference title games till this year) in their Rose Bowl years also -- 2010, 1999, 98, 93.

As for how many nat'l title winners it determined, it had two turns as the title game during the BCS era (the Miami whuppin' of Nebrasky in 2002 and the Vince Young scramblin' of USC in 2006). Prior? No idea, it would take effort to really tally them up. :P

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 05:24 PM
Rose Bowl has a nice parade.

I mean...it's in California.

Everyone there loves a parade.

badger
4/29/2011, 05:30 PM
Oh, eff it... I'll get the list started:

2003-04 USC (blah blah yes I am aware of the BCS)
1997-98 Michigan
1991-92 Washington
1978-79 USC
Billions more that everyone claims retroactively or whenever some poll likes them more than another team.

I probably left some out in there - nat'l titles have always been disputed by teams that want to claim more (see Bammer, USC, etc etc).

I really, really don't care to research this more. The Rose Bowl was fun, the Big Ten is not my conference and while I was born and raised in Wisconsin and love my badgers, I'm probably more Sooner than Badger now.

Collier11
4/29/2011, 06:30 PM

LOL...I can name 10 coaches withouth blinking who have won in tougher places than Kirk. Is he a good coach, yes, is he a great coach, not close

tfoolry
4/29/2011, 07:09 PM
I wonder what Bob thinks? :confused:
“They’re only 11, so I don’t know where I’ll be at that point,” Stoops said. “I won’t let them come here. I’ll send them to Iowa maybe and they can play for Coach (Kirk) Ferentz.” Bob Stoops 10/26/10

NorthernIowaSooner
4/30/2011, 09:25 PM
Kirk Ferentz is really good at winning games when he's about to be fired. So this season they will be awesome since there's that whole steroid scandal.

He isn't/never been close to being fired. I live in Iowa and it is very clear they will never let him go without him doing something SERIOUSLY wrong. The players act likes jacka$$es and he stays as long as he wins occasionally. Winning some games at Iowa is like winning a MNC at OU.

He makes a ton of money by anyones standards and especially for a State of Iowa employee and if Iowa considers Hayden Fry and his mediocrity a feat of a legend then Ferentz and a few 10 win seasons can do no wrong and will not be fired anytime soon.