PDA

View Full Version : A PSA for a few peeps here

olevetonahill
4/28/2011, 07:13 PM
Mainly for those who Might think that eating Armadillos is like eating Possum on the 1/2 shell.

If yer gonna eat em , Please make sure ya warsh em good and then warsh yer hands
Seems ya can get The Leprosy :eek: You've been warned.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/27/hold-the-armadillo-burger%E2%80%94it-might-just-give-you-leprosy/?xid=rss-topstories

OUHOMER
4/28/2011, 07:20 PM
Ok, i just read the article, how do they know the armadillos are giving this to humans,

i think its the other way around, some dude with leporsy has a fetish for armadillos. Armadillos getting a bad rap here.

olevetonahill
4/28/2011, 07:25 PM
Ok, i just read the article, how do they know the armadillos are giving this to humans,

i think its the other way around, some dude with leporsy has a fetish for armadillos. Armadillos getting a bad rap here.

Ya mean to say ya think some of these people might not JUST be eating them?
I knew they were Perverts but come on man.:eek:

soonercruiser
4/28/2011, 07:30 PM
That would definately mean a higher risk of Leprosy in Texas A&M alumni!
:rolleyes:

How many Aggies does it take to eat an Armadillo?

Three (that's "3", for you The!)
(Two eating; one watching for traffic!)

Chuck Bao
4/28/2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I knew that. Chasing armadillos was one of the sports I used to enjoy as a kid. I caught one by the tail once, just as it going into his hole. We fought for a good 15-20 minutes before I gave up and let it go.

When I told my mom about it at the dinner table that night, she said that I was going to catch leprosy instead and to go wash my hands. I never really tried to actually catch one again.

reflector
4/28/2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the warning.

Adrian
4/28/2011, 08:40 PM
I can honestly say I did not know you could catch leprosy from armadillos...

soonercruiser
4/28/2011, 08:56 PM
I'm in healthcare, and I can't say I remember hearing that either.
Of course, infectious diseases is not my schtick.

Eating armadillos blamed for leprosy in the South
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42788111/ns/health-infectious_diseases/

Armadillos may spread leprosy
New disease strain shows up in patients and animals in Deep South
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/73643/title/Armadillos_may_spread_leprosy

Chuck Bao
4/28/2011, 09:25 PM
My mom is Cajun and she knows about that sort of stuff. Just what are they teaching the young Cajun kids these days? They probably don't even know how to properly dress a squirrel.

Aldebaran
4/28/2011, 09:29 PM
Maybe if McDonalds offered a McRocky the whole squirrel thing would make a comeback.

soonercruiser
4/28/2011, 10:26 PM
My mom is Cajun and she knows about that sort of stuff. Just what are they teaching the young Cajun kids these days? They probably don't even know how to properly dress a squirrel.

Even us hillbillies know that you dress a squirrel in earth tones (and buck shot)!

texaspokieokie
4/29/2011, 07:16 AM
I thot this was about Pacific Southwest Airlines. Back in the day, they had the best lookin stews, in the shortest skirts !!!!

Mighta been "hot pants", don't remember that well.

Caboose
4/29/2011, 07:29 AM
Mainly for those who Might think that eating Armadillos is like eating Possum on the 1/2 shell.

If yer gonna eat em , Please make sure ya warsh em good and then warsh yer hands
Seems ya can get The Leprosy :eek: You've been warned.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/27/hold-the-armadillo-burger%E2%80%94it-might-just-give-you-leprosy/?xid=rss-topstories

I thought this was common knowledge? I distinctly remember my mother scolding and warning me of leprosy when I was about 8 when I was trying to catch one in our yard.

jk the sooner fan
4/29/2011, 07:32 AM
Maybe if McDonalds offered a McRocky the whole squirrel thing would make a comeback.

just what do you think McRibs are actually made of?

saucysoonergal
4/29/2011, 09:39 AM
Even us hillbillies know that you dress a squirrel in earth tones (and buck shot)!

Buckshot? You know nothing of hunting. (or politics) There wouldn't be enough left to eat if your used buckshot. Size 4 or 6 birdshot if your are using a 12 gauge.

3rdgensooner
4/29/2011, 09:42 AM
I can honestly say I've never touched squirrel, opossum, or armadillo.

Sooner in Tampa
4/29/2011, 09:50 AM
:(

Mississippi Sooner
4/29/2011, 09:54 AM
I thot this was about Pacific Southwest Airlines. Back in the day, they had the best lookin stews, in the shortest skirts !!!!

Mighta been "hot pants", don't remember that well.

If you mean the ones with the planes that looked like they were smiling when they took off, then yeah. They gave Southwest a run for their money in the kinky stewardess outfits.

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 09:54 AM

You're missing out. I've touched them all a buttload of times, however, I only eat the squirrels. I tossed an armadillo I shot last night on a brush pile for burning this weekend in fact.

Seriously, if you've never had squirrel you really are missing out. Here's how you do it:

1. Shoot them in the head with a .22, not a ****ing shotgun. Sheez people, even a .410 tears them up too bad. You need to shoot a mess of them before you have enough for a good meal. 6-8 or so.

2. Skin the little tree rats - which is much harder than one would think. They ain't like a rabbit where you can just peel the hide right off. Their hide is attached with super glue or something cause they are the devil to skin.

3. Quarter them up, and place them in a big bucket/bowl of salt water for a couple hours.

4. Get out the cast iron skillet, fill it with the grease of your choice (momma uses vegetable oil) and get it good and hot.

5. Rinse off the squirrel quarters, roll them in flour with some salt and pepper (and even a little garlic powder is good too) just like you would fried chicken.

6. Stick them in the hot oil in the skillet, reduce the heat a little, cover it, and turn them regularly until they become a crispy golden brown. Slow cooking is the key.

7. Make some gravy with the cracklins' and serve it over mashed taters or rice.

I'm telling you, fried squirrel is one of the finest meals you could ever have when prepared properly.

My brother and nephew hunt my place every deer season and we always shoot a bunch of squirrels for Thanksgiving dinner. We usually have about 15-20 people over and we do a smoked wild turkey, fried squirrel, and a store bought Butterball. Every year the smoked turkey and squirrel disappear and there's a whole Butterball left over for sammiches.

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:16 AM
2. Skin the little tree rats - which is much harder than one would think. They ain't like a rabbit where you can just peel the hide right off. Their hide is attached with super glue or something cause they are the devil to skin.

Well you just aren't doing it right. Tony Bourdain skinned one in no time. Cut him around the middle and then just peeled his furry pants right off.

Oh, and I must be a redneck because I knew you could catch leprosy from armadillos. And I have touched one, but it was an accident.

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 10:25 AM
I've heard all kinds of stories about how fast peeps could skin a squirrel. They're all lying. Those little buggars are tough.

I was at a conference in Ft. Worth a couple years back and they took us all out to eat at some big wannabe cowboy joint (it's famous I guess but I can't remember the name of it). Anyhow, they had a bunch of armadillos in a pen and you could go in there just like a petting zoo and pick them up, play with them, etc. My hands haven't fallen off yet.

3rdgensooner
4/29/2011, 10:27 AM
You're missing out. I've touched them all a buttload of times,I'll take your word for it.

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 10:28 AM
Let's hold hands...

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:29 AM
I've heard all kinds of stories about how fast peeps could skin a squirrel. They're all lying. Those little buggars are tough.

I was at a conference in Ft. Worth a couple years back and they took us all out to eat at some big wannabe cowboy joint (it's famous I guess but I can't remember the name of it). Anyhow, they had a bunch of armadillos in a pen and you could go in there just like a petting zoo and pick them up, play with them, etc. My hands haven't fallen off yet.

Bull****. He did it right there on tv during the Ozarks episode. If I didn't happen to be link challenged, I'd post the evidence.

achiro
4/29/2011, 10:29 AM
I've eaten armadillo before and I'm still kicking. BTW, it's actually not that bad cooked over a fire in deer camp so I figure with the right preparation, it could make a heck of a meal.:D

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:30 AM
I've eaten armadillo before and I'm still kicking. BTW, it's actually not that bad cooked over a fire in deer camp so I figure with the right preparation, it could make a heck of a meal.:D

Your colon fell out, you just don't know it yet.

dynersooner
4/29/2011, 10:31 AM
are you guys trying to be dicks to us city folk? im not gonna lie, it kinda feels that way.

achiro
4/29/2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.travelchannel.com/Video/squirrel-potpie-anyone-11720

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 10:33 AM
Bull****. He did it right there on tv during the Ozarks episode. If I didn't happen to be link challenged, I'd post the evidence.

You believe everything you see on the TV?

I've even pulled down instructions off the innerwebs and it's all lies. I've nailed their little feet to a tree and tried to skin them down and all you accomplish is ripping their little feet off.

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:35 AM
You believe everything you see on the TV?

I've even pulled down instructions off the innerwebs and it's all lies. I've nailed their little feet to a tree and tried to skin them down and all you accomplish is ripping their little feet off.

Quit whining and watch Achiro's video and maybe you'll learn a little sumthin sumthin about squirrel skinning.

achiro
4/29/2011, 10:41 AM
Quit whining and watch Achiro's video and maybe you'll learn a little sumthin sumthin about squirrel skinning.

Hey, it's not my video, I'm just helping you out. :D

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:41 AM
Hey, it's not my video, I'm just helping you out. :D

It's a good thing someone is.

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 10:49 AM
It's a good thing someone is.

You watch wrasslin' too huh? Or them fishing shows. You see them nailing bass after bass in a half hour. They didn't tell you it took 3 days to put together a half-hour show.

On the video it took about 10-seconds. In reality they had to go buy another 3 rolls of film and recharge the camera before they got that thing skinned.

I think I know what we're gonna do at the first tailgate next year. Squirrel skinnin'. If anybody can do one in less than 2-minutes they win the Barry Switzer signed football.

Mississippi Sooner
4/29/2011, 10:51 AM
Rachel Ray can throw together a seven course dinner in 40 minutes. :pop:

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:51 AM
You watch wrasslin' too huh? Or them fishing shows. You see them nailing bass after bass in a half hour. They didn't tell you it took 3 days to put together a half-hour show.

On the video it took about 10-seconds. In reality they had to go buy another 3 rolls of film and recharge the camera before they got that thing skinned.

I think I know what we're gonna do at the first tailgate next year. Squirrel skinnin'. If anybody can do one in less than 2-minutes they win the Barry Switzer signed football.

Don't be silly. I don't watch wrasslin, that's an Aggie sport.

And I'm not skinning a squirrel, I might break a nail. And Barry already signed everything I wanted him to sign when he grabbed my *** at the Orange Bowl, so there.

Adrian
4/29/2011, 10:54 AM
Don't be silly. I don't watch wrasslin, that's an Aggie sport.

It's great to see a perfectly executed Granby roll...:cool:

dynersooner
4/29/2011, 11:00 AM
chk, im on dean's side. he knows what hes talking about when it comes to skinning his squirrel...

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 11:04 AM
are you guys trying to be dicks to us city folk? im not gonna lie, it kinda feels that way.

You aren't as fancy as you pretend to be.

Sooner in Tampa
4/29/2011, 11:18 AM
And Barry already signed everything I wanted him to sign when he grabbed my *** at the Orange Bowl, so there.

Yeah...that's pretty much how The King rolls!! It's good to be King :D

dynersooner
4/29/2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the warning.

how does this guy not have his own Tosh.O show?

I can honestly say I did not know you could catch leprosy from armadillos...

that will be the last time you can ever post that reply. srsly.

stick around this place, and you will have PLENTY more opportunities to post that reply. spr srsly.

You aren't as fancy as you pretend to be.

WHY CHK! That might be the most hurtful thang anywun has evah said to meh...

Adrian
4/29/2011, 11:26 AM
that will be the last time you can ever post that reply. srsly.

They could be lying. It could be their version of a snipe hunt...

Condescending Sooner
4/29/2011, 05:14 PM

How bouts beaver?

texaspokieokie
4/29/2011, 05:58 PM
If you mean the ones with the planes that looked like they were smiling when they took off, then yeah. They gave Southwest a run for their money in the kinky stewardess outfits.

yeah, they been gone a long time.

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 06:16 PM
I'm concerned about the guy in 3B...He's either having a heart attack or choking on a chicken wing.

http://www.jaunted.com/files/1865/hootersair_small.jpg

olevetonahill
4/29/2011, 09:49 PM

I do believe Ill win it then. My Granpa taught me how :cool:

texaspokieokie
4/29/2011, 10:07 PM

Billy Bob's ???

Chuck Bao
4/29/2011, 10:38 PM
I may need plenty of booze for that tailgate, maybe a whole beaker of OVJ.

For the record, I am not on the squirrel-skinning bandwagon.

I remember my dad getting into an argument with my mom's Cajun dad who wanted to shoot the squirrels in our pecan groves and make squirrel stew. My dad argued that they were family pets. They weren't family pets. But it was still fun to watch them scampering around. Anyway, they would be pretty easy to shoot, especially since my dad made us mow or brushhog under all of the pecan groves.

When I visited my cousins in Mississippi for the first time last year, my cousin said that he occasionally goes squirrel hunting but the Mississippi squirrels aren't as big and fat as the Oklahoma squirrels. I don't know if he was having a go at me or not. The last time I was home, there was a pretty thriving population of squirrels and they were indeed very fat from the bumper pecan crop that we didn't even bother with.

Preservation Parcels
5/1/2011, 03:28 PM
Back in the day, we used to drive to Houston on I-90. Every few miles, there would be a roadkilled, upside down armadillo with a bottle of longneck Lone Star Beer propped in its paws and mouth. Texas humor at its finest.

Sooner_Tuf
5/1/2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah squirrels are easy to skin, if there are two or three of you and each of you are armed with vice grips and pliers.

That pot pie in the video made me hungry for some home cooking :(

delhalew
5/1/2011, 04:03 PM
Squirrel on a stick!