PDA

View Full Version : OU wrestling takes a big hit

MiccoMacey
4/28/2011, 12:25 PM
2x All-American and NCAA Finalist Tyler Caldwell, along with sophomore Kendrick Maple who just won the US National tournament last week, have received their releases from OU and apparently are willing to go to any program who'll take former OU assistant Sammie Henson.

That's a big hit in the immediate future for sure, but I heartily believe Coach Cody will be able to overcome this loss.

MiccoMacey
4/28/2011, 01:16 PM
Reportedly, one of the programs apparently interested in the package deal is Nebraska.

And the coach at Nebraska may have jumped the gun and texted Caldwell prior to Caldwell gaining his release from OU, a pretty serious violation.

Shakadoodoo
4/28/2011, 02:54 PM
Damn! Anyone recruits coming with Coach Cody? Who are his assistants going to be. I figured Sammie would be mad he did not get the Head Coaching job.

MiccoMacey
4/28/2011, 03:39 PM
I'd heard there was a faction of kids who were highly upset Sammie wasn't chosen. I didn't realize whom, or that they were serious enough to actually leave the program. But wrestling is so different than other sports...sometimes finding the "right" coach can make all the difference for that kid. Football has one team concept, one team goal, one team philosophy. Wrestling has ten of each. Each wrestler on the team is independent of the other in terms of style, philosophy, etc. I wish Tyler and Kendrick the best of luck with whomever they choose.

Not heard anything else about potential assistants or recruits.

Shakadoodoo
4/28/2011, 03:47 PM
I'd heard there was a faction of kids who were highly upset Sammie wasn't chosen. I didn't realize whom, or that they were serious enough to actually leave the program. But wrestling is so different than other sports...sometimes finding the "right" coach can make all the difference for that kid. Football has one team concept, one team goal, one team philosophy. Wrestling has ten of each. Each wrestler on the team is independent of the other in terms of style, philosophy, etc. I wish Tyler and Kendrick the best of luck with whomever they choose.

Not heard anything else about potential assistants or recruits.

Sammie is a cool dude. I am sure he has a good relationship with the kids. I hope the best for them as well. Seems like Coach Cody should do a good job though. If he was able to recruit top notch kids to American when they were about to cut the program - he should have no problem recruiting kids to OU. I'll be excited to see who he can pull in. I think the only difference at OU will be the pressure. His expectations at OU will be a lot higher than at American. I'm sure he can handle it though!

OUmillenium
5/12/2011, 08:41 AM
I thought it was a serious hit from a folding chair. I always enjoy a little color in a match.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/31/2011, 03:24 PM
I thought it was a serious hit from a folding chair. I always enjoy a little color in a match.

"AND WATCH OUT FOR FLYING CHAIRS...."

(anyone old enough to remember that one?)

MiccoMacey
6/3/2011, 09:47 PM
"AND WATCH OUT FOR FLYING CHAIRS...."

(anyone old enough to remember that one?)

Geraldo???

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/5/2011, 10:02 AM
Geraldo???

no, pro wrestling in the 70's on the local okc tv. that's the way they ended each episode. the medics, skandar akbar, stan "the lariat" hansen.....good times, good times.....

OUmillenium
6/9/2011, 10:14 AM
Bill Watts known to drop that line a few times.

usmc-sooner
6/9/2011, 06:46 PM
Love Castiglione but he did Sammie Henson dirty. I'd rather have Henson than the new guy. Spates kinda stabbed him in the back also. He was told he was the coach in waiting (promised and he should've got it in writing) I think it's his size but he's a damn good coach.

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/13/2011, 05:08 PM
Bill Watts known to drop that line a few times.

skandar akbar and the medics, anyone? or stan "the lariat" hansen?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/18/2011, 06:33 PM
Love Castiglione but he did Sammie Henson dirty. I'd rather have Henson than the new guy. Spates kinda stabbed him in the back also. He was told he was the coach in waiting (promised and he should've got it in writing) I think it's his size but he's a damn good coach.I have to question whether it was Castiglione who told Henson he was the "coach in waiting" or whether it was only Spates who made that promise...and, if even it was actually a promise.

I have no reason whatsoever to believe coach Cody won't do a better job than Spates.

OUmillenium
6/21/2011, 08:40 AM
Devastation Inc.

MiccoMacey
6/26/2011, 09:06 PM
Love Castiglione but he did Sammie Henson dirty. I'd rather have Henson than the new guy. Spates kinda stabbed him in the back also. He was told he was the coach in waiting (promised and he should've got it in writing) I think it's his size but he's a damn good coach.

Do we know for a fact he was promised the HC position? I've heard it speculated a bunch, but never heard anyone confirm it.

Also, speaking of unconfirmed rumors, Tyrone Lewis may be heading our way.

http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=932&fid=2193

You never know, but the two threads about Tyrone and OU coaches have some good info if true.

OUmillenium
6/26/2011, 09:11 PM
I have heard that Ted DiBiase is leaving the territory and heading to the WWF.

Soonerlife07
7/3/2011, 02:06 PM
That really sucks but oh well we got to move on