PDA

View Full Version : SLIders, show yourselves

3rdgensooner
4/28/2011, 10:33 AM
SLIders (http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/5332/sliders.html)

The mystery of street lamp interference

http://photos.forteantimes.com/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_20/fortean_times_10195_7.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

Streetlight Interference (SLI) is an alleged phenomenon in which it is claimed that certain people, passing near a streetlight at night, cause it to spontaneously extinguish (or if off, come on). Although there are hundreds of reports by both SLIders and witnesses, the subject remains controversial. Though trivial at first glance, closer study shows SLI to be a complex process, rich in paradoxes and contradictions. If true, however, the claims carry profound and exciting implications for science and for our knowledge of human potential.

People respond to Streetlight Interference with amusement or amazement, with belief, disbelief, or relief at learning that it happens to others as well as to themselves. SLI takes many different forms, and people react to it in many different ways. The best way to discover what happens when SLI occurs is to have it happen to you. For those of us who have not had the benefit of personal experience, though, the next best way is to learn what SLIders say happened to them. Jane de la R, a SLIder from Surrey, England, reports:

When living in London, I was able to do it almost at will – I have as witnesses my husband and a large group of friends who, over the years, came to regard my ability as an endearing trait.

A ridiculous idea? An endearing trait? SLI experiencers react in every sort of way when it happens to them. A few more accounts:

Jeff F, a self-employed salesman from Illinois:

The most recent event occurred just before Christmas, in a shopping mall near my home. There were a great many lights in the lot: it was snowing that evening. One went out as we got out of the car. My children and I exclaimed, “We got one” as we usually do. On our way out, the same light went out again. We started driving around the lot looking for another “victim”. We would pick out the ones that looked a little dimmer and drive under them. If it did not go out right away, we would wait or yell POW (just for effect, I think) until we were able to knock out around six, including the same one three times.

Another incident occurred in Indianapolis. I just happened to be discussing this phenomenon with a couple of business friends over a drink. One of them had witnessed this on a prior occasion. The other, of course, thought we were nuts. When we went to the parking lot to get to our car, I got one. We all laughed at the “coincidence”. As we were driving to a restaurant and waiting at a stop light, another went out. More laughter from us as we just converted another non-believer!

Not many SLIders get to where they can play games with their ability, but this account brings out the take-it-for-granted attitude that long-term SLIders frequently adopt. Few SLIders are worr*ied or disturbed, even when they come to realise that they differ from most folk in doing what they do.

Dan C, a young man from Harrogate, Yorkshire:

The
4/28/2011, 10:35 AM
What happened to Dan C, a young man from Harrogate, Yorkshire????

3rdgensooner
4/28/2011, 10:35 AM
What happened to Dan C, a young man from Harrogate, Yorkshire????Go to the article, noobular

The
4/28/2011, 10:36 AM
Go to the article, noobular

I don't click on your links, missy.

3rdgensooner
4/28/2011, 10:37 AM
Then you shall not learn of Dan C, a young man from Harrogate, Yorkshire

Aldebaran
4/28/2011, 10:42 AM
I am. But it doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to now that there are CFL's everwhere.

3rdgensooner
4/28/2011, 10:45 AM
I am. But it doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to now that there are CFL's everwhere.You probably cause them to go out by bumping your head.

Aldebaran
4/28/2011, 10:46 AM
LOL.

Theskipster
4/28/2011, 10:57 AM
Nothing more than most street lights start cycling (turn off and on) at the end of their life and confirmation bias.

Hence why in the article they went after the weaker bulbs (ones at the end of their life) and they magically saw them turn off from their super powers against street lights if they waited a little bit.

There is a good reason their magic doesn't work on other types of lights that don't cycle.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/28/2011, 12:39 PM
I thought this was about the TV show...

SoonerLVZ
4/28/2011, 12:40 PM

Me too, kind of disappointed it's not.

3rdgensooner
4/28/2011, 03:55 PM
Nothing more than most street lights start cycling (turn off and on) at the end of their life and confirmation bias.
NOOOOOO! Eye Buhlieve!

Me too, kind of disappointed it's not.

So make it about the TV show. It would probably be the least controversial thread tangent ever.

Aldebaran
4/28/2011, 04:04 PM
NOOOOOO! Eye Buhlieve!

So make it about the TV show. It would probably be the least controversial thread tangent ever.

IKNOWRYTE?!?!?!

I get to be anti-intellectual about one thing in this world, and this is it. I make the lights go pop (if you know what I mean).

soonerchk
4/28/2011, 04:04 PM
Dumbledore could do that before Snape killed him.

3rdgensooner
4/28/2011, 04:05 PM
IKNOWRYTE?!?!?!

I get to be anti-intellectual about one thing in this world, and this is it. I make the lights go pop (if you know what I mean).

I've heard about you and your pop skillz. You. are. legend.

Aldebaran
Snape killed Dumbledore?!?!?!? I'm only on book three!!!! This whole thing is ruined now.

On edit: damn.. had it backwards.

SoonerLVZ
Dumbledore could do that before Snape killed him.

Great, now I know what happened no spoiler alert or anything!

soonerchk
4/28/2011, 04:07 PM
It was very dramatic and everything!!!! I thought it was cool that Dumbledore could just steal the streetlights with his lighter (unlighter) and then pop them back when he was finished.

He was way cool, he shouldn't have had to die.

soonerchk
4/28/2011, 04:07 PM
Great, now I know what happened no spoiler alert or anything!

ps - on LOST they were only dead at the very end.

The
4/28/2011, 04:08 PM
ps - on LOST they were only dead at the very end.

Holy hell, you missed the entire point of the ending, didn't you?

soonerchk
4/28/2011, 04:12 PM

Yes I obsessed over every single episode and then totally didn't understand a thing. Purgatory, they're all dead, blah blah blah

The
4/28/2011, 04:14 PM
Yes I obsessed over every single episode and then totally didn't understand a thing. Purgatory, they're all dead, blah blah blah

That's not it at all!

See, they crashed into an island and were lost.

Aldebaran
4/28/2011, 04:18 PM
*facepalm*

soonerchk
4/28/2011, 04:21 PM
That's not it at all!

See, they crashed into an island and were lost.

No they weren't. Charles Widmore knew where to find them.

The
4/28/2011, 04:22 PM
No they weren't. Charles Widmore knew where to find them.

Widmore wasn't real. If you were paying attention, you'd notice he only showed up in dream sequences. That's why Kate was scared of him.

soonerchk
4/28/2011, 04:24 PM
Widmore wasn't real. If you were paying attention, you'd notice he only showed up in dream sequences. That's why Kate was scared of him.

You had shrooms for lunch again, didn't you?

The
4/28/2011, 04:26 PM
You had shrooms for lunch again, didn't you?

D_G8txdH7CY

SoonerLVZ
4/29/2011, 08:06 AM

The only thing I got out of the end is that I wasted years of my life watching a show that turned out to be a pile of crap.

Adrian
4/29/2011, 08:14 AM
What happened to Dan C, a young man from Harrogate, Yorkshire????

3g, questions need answers. It's impolite not to give an answer...

TheHumanAlphabet
4/29/2011, 08:28 AM

So what was the point of the story and the black smoke? Where they in an alternate universe or did they die in th eplane crash??? Sounds a lot like the St Elsewhere ending and I was pissed back then about that...

TheHumanAlphabet
4/29/2011, 08:30 AM

I think Slider's jumped the shark after season 2 when the cast started changing and they went from sliding into alternate Earths to merging people and stuff...

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:34 AM
So what was the point of the story and the black smoke? Where they in an alternate universe or did they die in th eplane crash??? Sounds a lot like the St Elsewhere ending and I was pissed back then about that...

Smokey is what happened when Jacob tried to kill his brother, and they didn't die in a plane crash, but Jack died with Vincent right next to him after saving the world and I cried. Okay, I might have sobbed. It was moving, dammit!!!!

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 10:37 AM
It was very dramatic and everything!!!! I thought it was cool that Dumbledore could just steal the streetlights with his lighter (unlighter) and then pop them back when he was finished.

He was way cool, he shouldn't have had to die.

Deluminator.

"Unlighter?" Sheez woman.

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:46 AM
Deluminator.

"Unlighter?" Sheez woman.

It got pushed out of my brain so I could remember important things like William Arthur Phillip Louis. Because that will be sooo useful to know in the future.

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 10:52 AM
It got pushed out of my brain so I could remember important things like William Arthur Phillip Louis. Because that will be sooo useful to know in the future.

Why would you want to remember that loser when you could be remembering Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore?

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 10:54 AM
I didn't say I wanted to remember it, I just said that I do remember it. Trust me when I tell you that I have absolutely no control over my brain.

The
4/29/2011, 11:41 AM
I didn't say I wanted to remember it, I just said that I do remember it. Trust me when I tell you that I have absolutely no control over my brain.

It's the buttsechs hat.

soonerchk
4/29/2011, 11:48 AM
It's the buttsechs hat.

Haven't been the same since.

*inside joke - my avatar is actually a balloon hat with balloon people having buttsecks that was made for me at The's request*