PDA

View Full Version : A 1st round super guess

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 09:35 AM
Well the day is here...And I apologize for not doing regular updates this season but the paying gig did not allow me much time and really didn't want me..

Anyway, a guy I work with and myself threw this together quickly...He wanted me to note that he does not believe Cam Newton is worthy of that pick..He just thinks that is going to happen. I agree with him.

1 -- CAR - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2 -- DEN - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
3 -- BUF - Von Miller, OLB, Texas AM
4 -- CIN - AJ Green, WR, Georgia
5 -- ARI - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
6 -- CLE - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7 -- SF - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
8 -- TEN - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
9 -- DAL - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
10 -- WAS - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
11 -- HOU - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
12 -- MIN - Tyron Smith, OT, USC
13 -- DET - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
14 -- STL - Robert Quinn, DE, UNC
15 -- MIA - Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
16 -- JAX - Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
17 -- NE (f OAK) - Cameron Jordan, DE, California
18 -- SD - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
19 -- NYG - Mike Pouncey, OL, Florida
20 -- TB - DaQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson
21 -- KC - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
22 -- IND - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
23 -- PHI - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
24 -- NO - Marvin Austin, DT, UNC
25 -- SEA - Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St
26 -- BAL - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St
27 -- ATL - Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
28 -- NE - Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
29 -- CHI - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
30 -- NYJ - Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
31 -- PIT - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
32 -- GB - Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

I received some heat for saying DM was a 3rd round pick a few months back...His combine bumped him up, but film study has brought him back down.

Beal has slipped, Carter is still in there in those mid rounds..

If you have any questions, I'll try and repond.

SoonerLVZ
4/28/2011, 09:38 AM
STEP-do you think if DM would have came out early last year he would have been a possible 2nd round pick, or was he too "injury prone"?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 09:49 AM
I feel like he would be in the same position..maybe worse, because this year of game film probably was able to show more of his skillset...

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/28/2011, 10:02 AM
Do you honestly believe Locker is worth the #10 pick?

Not hating just asking...

usaosooner
4/28/2011, 10:09 AM
This crop of QBs is going to bust faster than a Mack Brown RB recruit

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 10:12 AM
Do I believe he is? No...NFLers are convinced he is capable of being a darn good QB though

olevetonahill
4/28/2011, 10:14 AM
Is this Draft really gonna matter?

Mjcpr
4/28/2011, 10:14 AM
JJ Watt?? Booooooooring. :D

Is he any good?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 10:19 AM
I like him a lot..6'5 290, former walk-on...perfect player for what they need on D...tough guy with tough attitude

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/28/2011, 10:22 AM
Will Julio Jones make Colt McCoy look like Joe Montana?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 10:31 AM
If colt gets it anywhere close, I would bet Jones will catch it..

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/28/2011, 10:35 AM
Terrific...

Now we have to listen to Trent Dilfer say..."SEE I TOLD YOU"

Augusta_Sooner
4/28/2011, 10:37 AM
I would love to see Dallas get Watt, pair him with D. Ware....watch out! Do you think Dallas would be in a position to draft a starting OT in the 2nd round? Some mock drafts have them taking Dowling, CB from UVA in the second round. Even though Dallas needs help in the secondary, I think they have too much money invested with their CBs (Newman, Jenkins and Scandrick). Their problem is with safety. What do you think about them moving down and drafting Ayers from UCLA? Look at what a differnce safeties can make (when healthy of course), Polamalu, Sanders, Williams, etc.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 10:38 AM
I don't listen to anything Trent Dilfer says after his Sam Bradford moronic statements

Augusta_Sooner
4/28/2011, 10:45 AM
Dilfer is too full of himself. ESPN acts like this guy is the world's leading expert on QBs. He was lucky to QB a team that had one of the best defenses in NFL history. Heck, I think their defense outscored their offense a few times that year. Baltimore simply asked him to run the offense and not screw things up.

stoops the eternal pimp
I would love to see Dallas get Watt, pair him with D. Ware....watch out! Do you think Dallas would be in a position to draft a starting OT in the 2nd round? Some mock drafts have them taking Dowling, CB from UVA in the second round. Even though Dallas needs help in the secondary, I think they have too much money invested with their CBs (Newman, Jenkins and Scandrick). Their problem is with safety. What do you think about them moving down and drafting Ayers from UCLA? Look at what a differnce safeties can make (when healthy of course), Polamalu, Sanders, Williams, etc.

In the 2nd round, I like Ben Ijalana from Villanova..He was unable to do the Senior Bowl and combine due to a surgery, but I really like the kid..

There are some decent S prospects in those mid level rounds...Sands, Carter, Johnson from Boise for them to pick up...I don't see a real need to trade up or down but you know Jones will be making moves.

stoops the eternal pimp
Dilfer is too full of himself. ESPN acts like this guy is the world's leading expert on QBs. He was lucky to QB a team that had one of the best defenses in NFL history. Heck, I think their defense outscored their offense a few times that year. Baltimore simply asked him to run the offense and not screw things up.

His Bradford statements made it clear he watched very little college football or film on anyone...

Augusta_Sooner
4/28/2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks STEP. Of the players you have listed in the 1st rd, who do you think is the most overrated and underrated? I'm thinking overrated: (tie) Newton and Marvin Austin, underrated: Ponder.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 10:56 AM
Over: Newton
Under: Carimi

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 10:57 AM
I have been less impressed with Nate Solder since the Senior Bowl also...Consistently was beaten in the drills all week and had a lot of trouble moving his feet

Mjcpr
4/28/2011, 11:00 AM
Over: Newton
Under: Carimi

She was hawt in King of Queens.

The Maestro
4/28/2011, 12:11 PM
Two great draft photos...high school, college and on this day, pro football teammates. Wonder if they continued their friendship later in life?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/nfl.draft.historic.photos/images/oj-cowlings.jpg

And the first ever pic of the Tampa Bay Bucs!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/nfl.draft.historic.photos/images/Leroy-Selmon.jpg

SoonerLVZ
4/28/2011, 12:19 PM
STEP-who are your top 5 prospects for the draft? Also, who is the best QB in the draft?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 12:43 PM
I personally like Gabbert..I've been pretty high on him for a while though...I posted this a long time ago, but he came out of high school a better NFL Prospect than Chase Daniel...

Top 5 talent but not necessarily the position they will be drafted in

#1 Patrick Peterson
#2 Marcell Dareus
#3 Blaine Gabbert
#4 Von Miller
#5 Nick Fairley

OULenexaman
4/28/2011, 12:54 PM
I don't see Peterson sliding to 7....but what do I know.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 01:03 PM
I don't see Peterson sliding to 7....but what do I know.

I could quite easily see a trade where someone moves up and gets him sooner...What I put up will obviously get thrown off once trades kick in, but in going with team needs, SF just seemed the most likely

SoonerLVZ
4/28/2011, 01:10 PM
What do you think about Dalton as a legit NFL QB, and what round do you think he'll gone in?

LakeRat
4/28/2011, 01:10 PM
I can actually see Nick Fairley being a bust.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 01:23 PM
What do you think about Dalton as a legit NFL QB, and what round do you think he'll gone in?

I'm not as high on Dalton as some are..But you may see him switch with Ponder in that draft position going to Seattle...

I personally think he is a 3rd round talent...He is a legit QB, I just don't know what that means...as a backup or a starter...I think he could eventually start for somebody

Bourbon St Sooner
4/28/2011, 01:23 PM
step, what makes you think Austin to the Saints? The local yokel paper here doesn't even have him as one of their top seven potential picks for the Saints in that spot. Although, they have Mark Ingram as one of those 7 possibilities which makes no sense.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 01:24 PM
I can actually see Nick Fairley being a bust.

I can see him and Newton both busting

NormanPride
4/28/2011, 01:41 PM
If you pick Mr. Irrelevant (without prior knowledge or tips) I will give you $100. :D

Also, where does the great talent stop and the merely good talent start? Is the second round kind of a crapshoot this year?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 01:49 PM
Defensive line wise, there is deep talent so at that position alone, its well into the 2nd...

Overall I think the top 20 is the separation point..I won't be suprised by anything that happens after that.

And how bout Mitch Mustain to the Texans with the last pick?

NormanPride
4/28/2011, 01:54 PM
Heh, that's a good pick.

This draft will be really strange, because teams can't trade players for picks like normal. Do you think we'll see a lot more "take the best available and trade them later" kind of picks?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 01:58 PM
Yes I do.....I think after teams address needs in the 1st couple of rounds, it will be a free for all....

In a way, the way this draft goes on day 2 will tell me how confident the owners are that there will be a season this year

NormanPride
4/28/2011, 02:00 PM
How so? I have no idea how to discern that from your average draft activity.

SoonerLVZ
4/28/2011, 02:04 PM
In a way, the way this draft goes on day 2 will tell me how confident the owners are that there will be a season this year

What will you be looking for, trades? Anything?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 02:15 PM
This is crazy talk but a little speculation is fun sometimes.

The way a draft usually goes..

1st round-early 3rd round..Drafting guys who you think are starters(1st and 2nd especially)

3rd-5th-quality backups/situational players

6th-7th- raw athletes, could develop

If you start seeing your favorite teams not addressing depth at needy positions in those middle rounds and start seeing those late round guys move into the middle, I think its a stance that the owners/gms feel like these rounds don't matter and are thinking they can use the early 2 rounds of the next draft to get even better depth..

OULenexaman
4/28/2011, 02:33 PM
I could quite easily see a trade where someone moves up and gets him sooner...What I put up will obviously get thrown off once trades kick in, but in going with team needs, SF just seemed the most likely according to a certain NFL HC who has been hanging out at my local waterin' hole the last 2 saturday nights in a row till the cowbell rings GTFO.....there is gonna be a lotta tradin'....more than usual. But he gets pretty lubricated...:D

AZSOONER
4/28/2011, 02:54 PM
Will Julio Jones make Colt McCoy look like Joe Montana?

I want him to go to St. Louis, Sam could use a big guy like that.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 03:11 PM
JJ will be long gone by the Ram pick.....

I think the Pettis kid from Boise or if somehow he is still around, Baldwin from Pitt, would make nice additions

SoonerLVZ
4/28/2011, 03:12 PM
Who do you think is the biggest sleeper in the draft?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 03:19 PM
A guy I brought up here a few months ago was WR Ricardo Lockette from Ft Valley ST...6'3 211, ran a 4.37 at the combine and he was a little upset at that number...had been handclocked at 4.26..a 200m and 400m national champ...

He has a long way to go as far developing the art of being a WR, but he could contribute right away on ST and can run the underneath stuff OK..

I like his attitude..Did a phone interview with him in March and very humble and understands how much he has to do to make it..

maybe a 5th-6th round pick

NormanPride
4/28/2011, 03:28 PM
He sounded like a perfect Raider pick until you said he was humble and wanted to work hard.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 03:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing...

JLEW1818
4/28/2011, 03:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing...

texans gonna trade up?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 03:53 PM
for who?

SoonerNomad
4/28/2011, 05:35 PM

I like him generally. I think he knows what his role in the Super Bowl year was and the limits of his talent. Despite those limits, he was pretty damn good. He played in the NFL for a number of years and was a winner first and a stat guy second. I also think he studies the QB's coming out in the draft as much as anyone and spends a lot more time on research than any of us ever will (maybe I am just speaking for myself), but he completely whiffed on Bradford.

That would be okay, we all make mistakes, but I heard him recently when he was being complimented on his work on the QB's and his choices for this year and he never mentioned that he whiffed on Bradford. I would think you would acknowledge that while you think you know, sometimes you don't know. Instead he acted like he was sure he would be right. If I had missed on the #1 pick rookie of the year, I would remind people if just to show you shouldn't take these things too seriously.

That bothered me.

soonerloyal
4/28/2011, 07:11 PM
For some reason, it just bothers me to no end that Dirty Cam Newton might get as big a payout as Sam B. - who's not just phenomenally talented but is an upstanding, law-abiding good citizen to boot. Then again, the NFL doesn't GAS about players' lack of moral character.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2011, 08:58 PM
He won't get the payout Sam received

LRoss
4/28/2011, 09:46 PM
Did two Baylor players just go before a single Sooner?

Am I coming home from the dentist all drugged up? Is this real life?

I guess it was SUPPOSED to happen, but it's still pretty weird, right?

Sabanball
4/28/2011, 10:30 PM
Four Bama players taken in the first round. Think that will help recruiting?

Bourbon St Sooner
4/29/2011, 08:45 AM
Did two Baylor players just go before a single Sooner?

Am I coming home from the dentist all drugged up? Is this real life?

I guess it was SUPPOSED to happen, but it's still pretty weird, right?

How did we beat them by 40?

Oh yeah, they're Baylor.

Frozen Sooner
4/29/2011, 08:48 AM
step, what makes you think Austin to the Saints? The local yokel paper here doesn't even have him as one of their top seven potential picks for the Saints in that spot. Although, they have Mark Ingram as one of those 7 possibilities which makes no sense.

;)

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 08:51 AM
I was so close to being right, guessing that a RB wouldnt go in the 1st round....

Interesting 1st round...Think Minnesota jumped the gun at 12 on Ponder...I am surprised Bowers is still there...The guy was a legit top 5 pick early on...

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/29/2011, 08:53 AM
I was so close to being right, guessing that a RB wouldnt go in the 1st round....

Interesting 1st round...Think Minnesota jumped the gun at 12 on Ponder...I am surprised Bowers is still there...The guy was a legit top 5 pick early on...

Is it because of his surgery?

NormanPride
4/29/2011, 10:02 AM
Ponder at 12 was a joke. Dude was an easy second round get.

sperry
4/29/2011, 10:32 AM
He won't get the payout Sam received

He'll get close. He has all the leverage. The Panthers can't not sign him.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 10:33 AM
The rookie pay scale that will be in place soon won't allow it

NormanPride
4/29/2011, 10:48 AM
Are you hearing that that will be done? I thought the 2010 rules were in place right now.

Of course, teams can't even sign the players they draft yet...

SoonerDan74012
4/29/2011, 10:51 AM
Hey STEP, what do you think the chances are that my Cowboys take Quinton Carter? They need secondary help in the worst way!!!!!

jdd12
4/29/2011, 10:56 AM
The Lions picked another DT as their first pick. I'm definitely no football expert. Why would they have done that after picking up Suh last year and having him do so well? Was it really that big of a need for them? Help a football noob out.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 11:01 AM
Dan, I hear that is a good possibility.....Sands from WV is another decent one out there they can jump on as well..I would take Sands before Carter if available.

jdd, I think when a guy with the skills of Fairley drops to you at the 13 spot, you take him no matter what...It wasn't a need, but I think it was a great move..If Fairley can keep his stuff together, they are going to tear up some interior Olineman in Detroit.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 11:03 AM
Are you hearing that that will be done? I thought the 2010 rules were in place right now.

Of course, teams can't even sign the players they draft yet...

It sounds like the CBA will be retroactive to this year's draft...From the stagger scale I'm seeing, the top 15 or so are going to take a big cut and then it will trickle down after that..ie a 3rd round pick will be making what a 5th round pick made last year

Spray
4/29/2011, 11:07 AM
Four Bama players taken in the first round. Think that will help recruiting?

I don't know- do you think 3 of the top 4 last year helped ours?

SoonerDan74012
4/29/2011, 11:11 AM
What do you see the Rams doing in rounds 2 and 3? Pat Kirwan from NFL.com has them taking Randall Cobb in round 2 and DeMarco in round 3. They need to get Sam some help. Sam, Mark,and SJ can't do it all themselves.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 11:53 AM
I love Randall Cobb..I think he is a little better than McCluster(not much)..I don't think they need that kind of guy though...

I like Young( I said Pettis yesterday for some weird reason) from Boise for them...KC stole the sleeper pick I had for them with Baldwin...great move on their part..

They need some kind of depth of RB, whoever it may be... this group of RBs just doesn't offer much this season

SoonerDan74012
4/29/2011, 12:00 PM
I love Randall Cobb..I think he is a little better than McCluster(not much)..I don't think they need that kind of guy though...

I like Young( I said Pettis yesterday for some weird reason) from Boise for them...KC stole the sleeper pick I had for them with Baldwin...great move on their part..

They need some kind of depth of RB, whoever it may be... this group of RBs just doesn't offer much this season

I agree about the lack of depth at RB. I see only two that offer value and that is Ingram and Murray. I think those two are the most complete backs in this draft. I don't get the lovefest with Leshoure and Williams. They have one good year in college and they are all of a sudden 1st and 2nd round picks????

OULenexaman
4/29/2011, 01:49 PM
The Lions picked another DT as their first pick. I'm definitely no football expert. Why would they have done that after picking up Suh last year and having him do so well? Was it really that big of a need for them? Help a football noob out. how could they not?? dude just fell right in their lap....serious trade bait if nothing else...

OULenexaman
4/29/2011, 01:53 PM
probably made Jay Cutler **** in his pants....

Sabanball
4/29/2011, 01:53 PM
Although I would NEVER;) say that the SEC has the most talent in football, there were five players from that conference that were first round picks that were SECOND TEAM ALL-SEC.

SoonerDan74012
4/29/2011, 02:03 PM
Although I would NEVER;) say that the SEC has the most talent in football, there were five players from that conference that were first round picks that were SECOND TEAM ALL-SEC.

What do you think about Ingram going to New Orleans? I thought he would have ended up in Miami, Green Bay, or New England.

Sabanball
4/29/2011, 02:52 PM
What do you think about Ingram going to New Orleans? I thought he would have ended up in Miami, Green Bay, or New England.

A little surprised-- I did not think NO was ready to dump Reggie Bush. I guess maybe they decided they wanted a LEGIT heisman rb.

NormanPride
4/29/2011, 02:55 PM
Maybe they're tired of Reggie sucking and want a RB that will at least fall forward?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 03:12 PM
Remember when everyone thought Casserly was an idiot at Houston for taking Mario Williams instead of Bush? I think Casserly ended up resigning before the next season..Anway

How bout those Reggie Bush stats?

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 05:22 PM
I still can't get past this name as I keep laughing about why he even is trying to go Pro....

Blaine Gabbert

C&CDean
4/29/2011, 05:54 PM
I can't get past "Randall Cobb." Who remembers Randall Tex Cobb?

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 07:37 PM
Me. Raising Arizona Baby ! ! !

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vY8I5HvOvk8/SZnIcNSrKsI/AAAAAAAAC0o/ss_FdqkeP4E/s400/5021468_std.jpg

StoopTroup
4/29/2011, 07:41 PM
I think Randall was the guy that "POP KNOT ON YER HEAD!" came from....:D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hEsBJJ8wUqc/SYqDikw9vcI/AAAAAAAAAnc/Tw9OiJf4FYg/s320/hasim_rahman_lump.jpg

mightysooner
4/29/2011, 07:45 PM
I agree about the lack of depth at RB. I see only two that offer value and that is Ingram and Murray. I think those two are the most complete backs in this draft. I don't get the lovefest with Leshoure and Williams. They have one good year in college and they are all of a sudden 1st and 2nd round picks????

I love Murray but he is not a "complete back" and never really has been. He was never much of a force out of the backfield running the ball, and lacks physicality and elusiveness between the tackles. He doesn't always select the best running lanes either nor is his blocking ability first rate. He's a third down back at best in the NFL and that's why he hasn't been drafted yet.

SoonerDan74012
4/29/2011, 07:48 PM
I love Murray but he is not a "complete back" and never really has been. He was never much of a force out of the backfield running the ball, and lacks physicality and elusiveness between the tackles. He doesn't always select the best running lanes either nor is his blocking ability first rate. He's a third down back at best in the NFL and that's why he hasn't been drafted yet.

Clown post.

mightysooner
4/29/2011, 07:49 PM
Clown post.

Crimson glasses response

mightysooner
4/29/2011, 08:01 PM
And there it is. Murray was just drafted by the Cowboys as a "premiere third down back". "Clown post" indeed......

He'll be used like a Reggie Bush type of player. Third down out of the backfield for passes as well as in the redzone. Those are his strengths. Good pickup for the Cowboys.

LRoss
4/29/2011, 08:19 PM
The Lions picked another DT as their first pick. I'm definitely no football expert. Why would they have done that after picking up Suh last year and having him do so well? Was it really that big of a need for them? Help a football noob out.

I'm no football expert, but I am a Lions fan. It was a defensible pick IMO, although for SURE not what I would have done. DT (and defensive line generally) is a strength for the team already, absolutely, but if Fairley really is going to be the Suh-like beast in the NFL that he was last year at Auburn, it's not unreasonable to take the guy who has the chance of being the biggest game-changing impact player.

Now what's maybe NOT defensible, IMO, is taking a WR in the 2nd and then trading your 3rd and 4th to get back into the 2nd for a RB. If anybody remembers/cares, they traded up into the back of the 1st round LAST year for a RB (Best from Cal) already. And sure, they could use a 3rd receiver, but there's exactly 1 starting caliber DB and exactly 1 starting caliber LB on the team, plus when you keep giving away picks for rb's and your offensive line is weak to begin with -- who cares who you give the ball to (plus I was hoping maybe they could score Murray in a later round)! And if your qb's laying on his back -- or on the sideline in street clothes -- who cares who he's throwing to! So that's more than you wanted to hear, but there's one Lions fan's thoughts.

Conclusion -- come quickly, college football season!!!

SoonerDan74012
4/29/2011, 08:27 PM
Crimson glasses respone

Do you really believe that Mikel Leshoure, Ryan William, Shane freaking Vereen, and Daniel Thomas are better than him?????? I sure as hell don't! The numbers freaking prove it!!!!!!!! LOL

Mjcpr
4/29/2011, 08:27 PM
JJ will be long gone by the Ram pick.....

I think the Pettis kid from Boise or if somehow he is still around, Baldwin from Pitt, would make nice additions

Good call.

mightysooner
4/29/2011, 08:33 PM
Do you really believe that Mikel Leshoure, Ryan William, Shane freaking Vereen, and Daniel Thomas are better than him?????? I sure as hell don't! The numbers freaking prove it!!!!!!!! LOL

Do you think you're a better talent evaluator than professional NFL scouts? I sure as hell don't!

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2011, 10:02 PM
Good call.

Pettis is not a burner but at 6'2 , 210 can play physical and plays smart..really good hands

Eielson
4/30/2011, 03:17 AM
Pettis is not a burner but at 6'2 , 210 can play physical and plays smart..really good hands

Do you think Sam got himself a pretty good tight end in Lance Kendricks?

swardboy
4/30/2011, 06:08 AM

IMHO...from what I've seen, the Rams will move Kendricks around a lot. He was a wide receiver coming out of high school, is extremely quick coming off the line, goes over the middle, AND HAS GOOD HANDS. After that fiasco of a season-ender against the Seahawks, the Rams have committed to two receivers who don't drop passes.

I think McDaniels will make Sam a very happy camper with this receiver corps, especially with Clayton back to full strength.

swardboy
4/30/2011, 06:11 AM
I like Young( I said Pettis yesterday for some weird reason) from Boise for them

I guess STEP isn't so weird after all....

Eielson
4/30/2011, 11:19 AM
IMHO...from what I've seen, the Rams will move Kendricks around a lot.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much McDaniels will use a TE. It would seem like a shame not to use him there, though. I remember watching Wisconsin play Miami in a bowl game two years ago, and their tight ends were really impressive blocking. I also remember Jacory Harris' poise (I don't know if anybody remembers that).

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2011, 12:03 PM

Pretty good...athletic, soft hands....maybe a little of a reach, but not that much...

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2011, 12:04 PM
I wonder if I should go to Orange Power and see if that dude will still eat his hat...I said at best, Hunter was a 3rd round pick about 5 months ago and he said I was crazy and he would eat his hat if he didn't go in the 2nd.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2011, 12:21 PM
I like Marecic to Cleveland...with him at fullback and Hillis at RB, thats going to be a tough backfield

picasso
4/30/2011, 12:45 PM
And there it is. Murray was just drafted by the Cowboys as a "premiere third down back". "Clown post" indeed......

He'll be used like a Reggie Bush type of player. Third down out of the backfield for passes as well as in the redzone. Those are his strengths. Good pickup for the Cowboys.

Can you name one person on this board who thinks DM is an every down back in the NFL?
Wow, you guessed he would go as a specialist 3rd down type. Good for you.

The clown post is the fact that you apparently don't appreciate what he did for OU the last few seasons.
Take another gander at his effort in Stillwater last November.

mightysooner
4/30/2011, 12:58 PM
Can you name one person on this board who thinks DM is an every down back in the NFL?
Wow, you guessed he would go as a specialist 3rd down type. Good for you.

The clown post is the fact that you apparently don't appreciate what he did for OU the last few seasons.
Take another gander at his effort in Stillwater last November.

No, the post wasn't about any emotional appreciation for what he did for us. It was about his realistic draft status for the NFL only. Fan based emotional attachment has absolutely zero to do with draft status nor is it a sufficient determinant of how a player will do at the next level.

You apparently have conveniently forgotten all the posts on here about what's wrong with DM over the last two seasons. Posts about his lack of speed, seems to run directly at tacklers, goes down too easy, can't make the first guy miss, only gets 1 yard into the pile on 1st down all the time etc., He was never really an explosive runner home run threat. Defenses were afraid of DM on 3rd downs and in the redzone, not on 1st and 2nd downs running the ball.

jdd12
4/30/2011, 01:23 PM
I'm no football expert, but I am a Lions fan. It was a defensible pick IMO, although for SURE not what I would have done. DT (and defensive line generally) is a strength for the team already, absolutely, but if Fairley really is going to be the Suh-like beast in the NFL that he was last year at Auburn, it's not unreasonable to take the guy who has the chance of being the biggest game-changing impact player.

Now what's maybe NOT defensible, IMO, is taking a WR in the 2nd and then trading your 3rd and 4th to get back into the 2nd for a RB. If anybody remembers/cares, they traded up into the back of the 1st round LAST year for a RB (Best from Cal) already. And sure, they could use a 3rd receiver, but there's exactly 1 starting caliber DB and exactly 1 starting caliber LB on the team, plus when you keep giving away picks for rb's and your offensive line is weak to begin with -- who cares who you give the ball to (plus I was hoping maybe they could score Murray in a later round)! And if your qb's laying on his back -- or on the sideline in street clothes -- who cares who he's throwing to! So that's more than you wanted to hear, but there's one Lions fan's thoughts.

Conclusion -- come quickly, college football season!!!

re: Fairley...fair enough, I didn't realize he was that highly rated. I pretty much ignored the lead up to the draft this year. Saw him in the MNC but that's it. Dirty mofo (that was him, right?).

My father-in-law is a Lions fan, so I'll take it and pass it on...or give him **** about it, whichever is more fun. :)

picasso
4/30/2011, 02:21 PM
No, the post wasn't about any emotional appreciation for what he did for us. It was about his realistic draft status for the NFL only. Fan based emotional attachment has absolutely zero to do with draft status nor is it a sufficient determinant of how a player will do at the next level.

You apparently have conveniently forgotten all the posts on here about what's wrong with DM over the last two seasons. Posts about his lack of speed, seems to run directly at tacklers, goes down too easy, can't make the first guy miss, only gets 1 yard into the pile on 1st down all the time etc., He was never really an explosive runner home run threat. Defenses were afraid of DM on 3rd downs and in the redzone, not on 1st and 2nd downs running the ball.

No I've read these things and am still amazed by them. I've watched Demarco post injury make many a first guy miss.
Like I said, go watch the oSu game from last year. He made a few miss. Watch the Tech game from '08 and watch how effective his "one cut" was on those dump passes.
Some of you guys are gonna be looking around next year and thinking I sure wish we had DM right now.

mightysooner
4/30/2011, 02:38 PM
No I've read these things and am still amazed by them. I've watched Demarco post injury make many a first guy miss.
Like I said, go watch the oSu game from last year. He made a few miss. Watch the Tech game from '08 and watch how effective his "one cut" was on those dump passes.
Some of you guys are gonna be looking around next year and thinking I sure wish we had DM right now.

Again....we're not talking about his ability in space catching passes. We're talking about his running skills out of the backfield. He was never dominant enough to take the running job away from Chris Brown (who isn't in the NFL) as the main workhorse. You can't just watch the OSU or Tech game and proclaim him Mr. all NFL world beater. You have to look at his entire body of work.

We're definitely going to miss his production next year there's no doubt about that. I'm a little concerned that the best RB in the spring game was a walk-on, I admit. But there's plenty of time for someone to secure the job.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2011, 06:38 PM

DM was a good college runningback...When you get in space, that one cut can make a huge difference on dump passes because typically there is one guy to beat.. Running the ball, he was pretty good..Ran tough and thought he was pretty impressive in a couple of games...ducked his head too much..had too many ineffective rushes(3 yards or less not on 2nd or 3rd and short)..problem in the NFL is that space is a lot smaller and often you have to create your own...

As far as the one cut runner thing, I don't think you would find anyone to say that is not a fair assessment of his game..

I think he could be a good 3rd down back if he can get on the field...Not sure what the Dallas RB situation is going to be.

Eielson
5/1/2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if I should go to Orange Power and see if that dude will still eat his hat...I said at best, Hunter was a 3rd round pick about 5 months ago and he said I was crazy and he would eat his hat if he didn't go in the 2nd.

If you do this, please send me a link.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2011, 06:42 PM
What brings him value is that like I've posted before, if you are not a starter, you have to be versatile...in the salary cap roster limit world, backups need to play their natural position plus one or 2 more...STs(possible kick returner) bring him a significant opportunity to be a part of the Cowboys offense

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2011, 06:43 PM
If you do this, please send me a link.

LOL....they must enjoy eating hats there...

I mentioned that Z Robinson would get drafted last year and a dude said it wouldnt happen and he would eat his best hat...He pm'd me and said he wasn't gonna do it.