PDA

View Full Version : Former OU coach Sampson to interview with Houston Rockets

JLEW1818
4/26/2011, 01:42 PM
The opening stages of the Rockets’ coaching search began to take shape Monday, with several initial interviews scheduled and others placed on hold pending the results of the NBA playoffs’ first round.

Milwaukee assistant coach Kelvin Sampson, who served as head coach at Indiana and Oklahoma before moving to the NBA, is expected to meet with Rockets general manager Daryl Morey Tuesday.

Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma and former Rockets forward Mario Elie, who has been an assistant with Sacramento, Golden State and San Antonio, will interview Wednesday.

Former Atlanta coach Mike Woodson, a former Rockets player who still lives in Katy, is expected to meet with Morey on Thursday.

Morey has received permission to speak with many assistant coaches still involved in the playoffs but will seek to work around the first-round schedule. The Rockets have expressed interest in Memphis’ Dave Joeger, Dallas’ Dwane Casey, Boston’s Lawrence Frank and San Antonio’s Mike Budenholzer. Morey also has shown interest in Los Angeles Clippers assistant Dean Demopoulos.

The Rockets also are interested in former Cleveland coach Mike Brown, but no interview is scheduled.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7536855.html

badger
4/26/2011, 01:53 PM
I really wish rules infractions didn't get the best of KS. He seemed to have good ideas for the college game, but just succumbed to the pressure of taking OU to the next level (and then Indiana) and not being satisfied with annual tourney appearances, with occasional better runs. Perhaps the fans are partially to blame. But, he was the head coach.

oumartin
4/26/2011, 03:18 PM
Text interview?

Phil
4/26/2011, 03:23 PM
No - cell phone.

stoopified
4/26/2011, 07:30 PM
Houston is looking for a director of communications? Perhaps an ethics enforcement officer?

agoo758
4/26/2011, 09:49 PM
Guess he can't break any recruiting rules with the Rockets.....

the_ouskull
4/26/2011, 09:56 PM
We've had a coach - and a worse one at that; yeah, I said it THEN, too - flame out much more spectacularly SINCE Coach Sampson.

Having said that, as a Rockets fan, although I trust both his coaching, and his knowledge of X's and O's, I'm not sure I want him coaching the Rockets next season. Then again, with players that can score, he's always been deadly. :D

the_ouskull