PDA

View Full Version : 2011 marks 75th Anniversary of AP Poll

SteelClip49
4/26/2011, 12:16 PM
75 years ago in 1936....The only national champion who was a part of a conference won the AP title without winning the conference, the Bud Wilkinson QB'd Minnesota Golden Gophers, their 3rd straight national title.

70 years ago in 1941....The Minnesota Golden Gophers claimed their 5th national title and 3rd AP crown. Alabama, which finished #20, claims this as one of their 13 titles.

65 years ago 1946....Georgia went berserk by, yet again, getting snubbed of their 2nd national title claim and watching it go to Notre Dame.

60 years ago in 1951....General Robert Neyland'd Tennessee Vols win their first national title which followed with their first loss of the season in the bowl game. 5 other major programs were undefeated.

55 years ago in 1956....no other program mattered but the Oklahoma Sooners who were in their NCAA 47 game winning streak and capturing their 3rd national title.

50 years ago in 1961.... Bear Bryant guides Alabama to its first of two undisputed AP national titles. The other 4, while legit, are very skeptical.

45 years ago in 1966.... featured the pansy move of Ara Parseghian's Irish purposely playing for a tie to remain #1 in both polls thus screwing Michigan State out of a repeat title. Imagine this...Alabama fans crying they were screwed going 11-0 and finishing #3.

40 years ago in 1971....obviously we all know. The Game of the Century between the Sooners and Huskers which featured a controversial call that went against OU but overall, it was a game that determined who was going to be the national champion because neither team could be beat. Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado finished AP #1, #2, #3 and Iowa State, which lost to all 3 and no one else, finished in the top 20.

35 years ago in 1976....The one year of the decade in which a major national power did not win the title and it was the Pittsburgh Panthers led by famous Tennessean Coach Johnny Majors and Heisman Trophy Winner Tony Dorsett (who was non-existent in Norman the year before).

30 years ago in 1981....nothing exciting comes to mind other than the armpit of the Palmetto State rejoicing a Clemson national title.

25 years ago in 1986....the Miami Hurricanes, the team of the 80s which were destined to dominate committed 7 turnovers, 3 shy of the entire point total for the game of 10 points, in a game in which they out gained the Lions. Joe Paterno wins his 2nd national title and earns his 4th undefeated season.

20 years ago in 1991....The Host of E!'s The Soup Joel McHale and WWF/E icon and actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson both were on the co-national championship teams (Washington and Miami). Miami won the AP.

15 years ago in 1996....Florida gets serious, sweet revenge on FSU and wins its first national title. That team featured some well-known assistant who is a decent head coach today ;)

10 years ago in 2001....The BCSNCG featured major powers rivaling each others success in the 80s and 90s and one going back to the 70s in Miami and Nebraska. The Huskers' domination from 1970 to 2001 came to an end while Miami's from 1983 came to an end in 2002.

2011....starting out will mark Oklahoma's 10th Preseason #1 start, which is good enough for #1 all time in major college football.

fadada1
4/26/2011, 03:39 PM
Too bad it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than the AP.

SteelClip49
4/26/2011, 04:07 PM
and to Oklahoma. The AP has awarded OU with 7 trophies. OU's accomplishments have weighed heavily overtime with the AP titles. Not so much 2000 because of the BCS but still, the AP trophy is in there as well.

Besides, it's good to know these facts. I did them all myself. It's fun to know stuff!

CrescentCityOUAlum
4/26/2011, 06:23 PM
Nice post. I agree wholeheartedly that the AP does in fact still matter as much as it always has. They hold the ability to splinter a national championship. It's just my opinion but a consensus title just feels alot better than a co-championship. Even with the creation of the BCS, college football is still like boxing, the idea is that you have to unify the belts. I'm glad all of OU's are consensus save 1974, which was an amazing team.

It begs the question, how many national title trophies are there? I have a copy of the 2001 media guide which features the all the team trophies OU received that year. I know the football writers association awards a national title trophy. I believe there are a couple more too.

SteelClip49
4/26/2011, 09:41 PM
the 4 main trophies are:

Coaches Trophy (BCS Title)

Associated Press

MacArthur Bowl Trophy (NFF)

Frantland Rice Trophy (FWAA)

AP and Coaches are the two most recognized.

MyT Oklahoma
4/26/2011, 09:51 PM
Did you mean the Grantland Rice Trophy?

As in one keystroke difference which I do all the time myself. LOL

Sooner_Tuf
4/26/2011, 10:00 PM
Currently the AP isn't the title we are talking about when we say someone won a National Title. It is almost irrelevant other than it gives the media an avenue to express their bitterness towards the BCS at times.

At least as of today the BCS National Championship is the only one that really matters. The AP has some input initially but asked to be removed because they are incredibly huge babies and are insulted when others don't bow down to them.

stoopified
4/27/2011, 01:33 PM
the 4 main trophies are:

Coaches Trophy (BCS Title)

Associated Press

MacArthur Bowl Trophy (NFF)

Frantland Rice Trophy (FWAA)

AP and Coaches are the two most recognized.You forgot the Tuscalosa Chamber of Commerce National Title Trophy which has been awarded to..........surprise ,surprise, Alabama 26 times

Mississippi Sooner
4/27/2011, 01:36 PM
You forgot the Tuscalosa Chamber of Commerce National Title Trophy which has been awarded to..........surprise ,surprise, Alabama 26 times

To be fair, the TCofC only has one voting member, and they can only afford to send him to the closest game each week, so that probably affects his voting.

Cornfed
4/27/2011, 01:37 PM
And the whorns are still second no matter the time frame.

fadada1
4/27/2011, 04:11 PM
Currently the AP isn't the title we are talking about when we say someone won a National Title. It is almost irrelevant other than it gives the media an avenue to express their bitterness towards the BCS at times.

At least as of today the BCS National Championship is the only one that really matters. The AP has some input initially but asked to be removed because they are incredibly huge babies and are insulted when others don't bow down to them.

thanks for the backup.

my point was that the AP is no longer important. 20+ years ago... yes. now... not so much. as long as the AP is not part of the BCS number, and as long as CBS/ESPN/FOX continue to rake in the money, the AP will continue to be a waste of everyone's time. imo, the AP today, is like the UP poll was in the 80's.

tfoolry
4/27/2011, 04:29 PM
AP

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/06/13/cfb.mailbag/t1_patrick.jpg