PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Driving Laws

StoopTroup
4/25/2011, 08:09 PM
I remember way back in the day when one of the Tulsa University Basketball Players had gotten in a car wreck that just about ruined his career as a Basketball Player. He eventually recovered I think and played his Senior season if I remember right.

Anyway....I remember folks saying..."Why was he allowed to drive?". "If he's got epilepsy how can he get a Drivers License?". Stuff like that.

How the heck do people who have epilepsy get Driver's Licenses?

If they are a risk and you know someone who is a risk....is there anything you can do to get it stopped before they hurt someone?

StoopTroup
4/25/2011, 08:31 PM
I found this but little about Oklahoma. I know there has to be something due to the insurance risks involved.

If you have seizures that alter your awareness, consciousness, or muscle control, you may not have the legal right to drive. Each state has its own restrictions. Below are each state's driving laws as it pertains to epilepsy. Please note that this information may be subject to change. If you have further questions please check with your local Department of Motor Vehicle.

General rules

The laws in all 50 states restrict driver's licenses for persons with active seizures that are not controlled by medication and establish rules regarding when and how a license may be acquired. The usual requirements necessitate that a person be seizure-free for a specified period of time, commonly six months, but increasingly three months or more, and have a physician's statement confirming that the individual's seizures are controlled and that if the person is licensed to drive, he or she will not present an unreasonable risk to public safety.

The laws of the state you live in, not your doctor, decide whether or not you have the right to drive. Your doctor should be able to tell you what the current laws are and whether you meet the criteria for driving.

Before getting a license, you may have to provide proof from your doctor that you are receiving treatment and that the treatment has brought your seizures under control. (Remember, too, that some drugs used to control epilepsy may make you drowsy. If you have just started a new drug, avoid driving until you know how the drug will affect you.)

In general, the risk of having a seizure-related traffic accident is greatly reduced in people who have been seizure-free for 12 months. Driving may be safe for some people with epilepsy after a shorter seizure-free period, depending on individual circumstances. People who always have an aura before a seizure begins are also at reduced risk; the aura acts as a warning, which may give a driver time to pull over before the seizure begins. Not taking antiepileptic medication as prescribed (missing a dose, for instance) increases the risk of having an accident, so it is especially important for people with epilepsy who choose to drive to take their medication correctly and on the proper schedule.

Which states require physician reporting?

Six states (California, Delaware, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon and Pennsylvania) still require physicians to report patients who have seizures to the state, usually to the department of motor vehicles. While these statutes arguably do little to protect the public interest, they have been used to bring civil litigation against physicians who have not reported their patients to the department of motor vehicles, even in cases where patients are compliant and on medication.

SoonerNate
4/25/2011, 10:12 PM
How is a person that plows hammered drunk wasted into some innocent woman in Stillwater not in jail?

soonercruiser
4/25/2011, 11:09 PM
I remember way back in the day when one of the Tulsa University Basketball Players had gotten in a car wreck that just about ruined his career as a Basketball Player. He eventually recovered I think and played his Senior season if I remember right.

Anyway....I remember folks saying..."Why was he allowed to drive?". "If he's got epilepsy how can he get a Drivers License?". Stuff like that.

How the heck do people who have epilepsy get Driver's Licenses?

If they are a risk and you know someone who is a risk....is there anything you can do to get it stopped before they hurt someone?

I think that they have a very good medication for that now.
The only side effect is....it makes you not want to drive a car.
:rolleyes:

MR2-Sooner86
4/25/2011, 11:10 PM
Why are women still allowed to drive?

StoopTroup
4/25/2011, 11:16 PM
I think that they have a very good medication for that now.
The only side effect is....it makes you not want to drive a car.
:rolleyes:

I don't know what the **** your trying to say so I won't ask....It's pretty obvious you don't know most of the time.