PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Toughest non-conference schedule in Big 12

badger
4/25/2011, 12:44 PM
We debated which cupcake was fluffiest (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153502), now, with the Big 12 schedules just released last week, let's ask the pressing question: Who is LEAST likely to come out of there non-conference gauntlet unscathed? Who scheduled waaaay beyond their means? Whose non-conference schedule would be factored highest in the BCS if SOS was still a factor?

Check each team's schedule here (http://www.big12sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=106580&SPID=13139&Q_SEASON=2011&SCHEDULE_MONTH=), or just read below, then vote!

Iowa State: Iowa, @ Connecticut
Cupcake nominee: Northern Iowa

Baylor: TCU, Rice
Cupcake nominee: Stephen F. Austin

Mizzou: @ Arizona State, Miami (Ohio)
Cupcake nominee: Western Illinois

Kansas: @ Georgia Tech, Northern Illinois
Cupcake nominees: McNeese State

KSU: @ Miami (Florida)
Cupcake nominees: Eastern Kentucky, Kent State

Tech: @ Nevada
Cupcake nominees: @ New Mexico, Texas State

OU: Tulsa, @ Florida State
Cupcake nominee: Ball State

OSU: U-La-La (Lafayette), Arizona, @Tulsa

Texas: Rice, Brigham Young, @ UCLA

A&M: SMU, Arky (at Jerryworld)
Cupcake nominee: Idaho

(the 10 cupcake nominees are from Thursday's poll (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153502), which you voted Ball State @ OU as the fluffiest).

As always, you can vote once, you cannot change your vote and votes are anonymous. Voting will last through Thursday, at which time another poll will hopefully be remembered to be posted, hehe.

No write-in this week, duh!

jumperstop
4/25/2011, 12:47 PM
OU

badger
4/25/2011, 12:52 PM
OK, before you all vote for the OU option like you have in every other poll thus far, consider --- OU is the top team in the country! Texas sucks. Does this make their non-conference road harder? YES!

TAKE YOUR CRIMSON BLINDERS OFF NOW PLZ :mad:

:P seriously you're all so cute. you just keep voting for ou as much as you want if it makes you happy.

agoo758
4/25/2011, 01:13 PM
:P seriously you're all so cute. you just keep voting for ou as much as you want if it makes you happy.

Delete me Badger.

oudavid1
4/25/2011, 01:17 PM
I voted for texas.

JLEW1818
4/25/2011, 01:21 PM
playing at Florida State alone makes it better than any others.

we could play Florida State, texas state, sam houston, dallas college.... and our schedule would still be the best.

badger
4/25/2011, 01:23 PM
I wish there was an option where you could rank the poll options instead of just voting for one... I definitely respect the non-conference foes of some of these Big 12 teams as much as I love the thought of going into Florida State and coming out with a signature win over a ranked team on the road.

But to some degree, at least one name opponent on everyone's schedule, either a team that was ranked last season or a team from a BCS conference.

Delete me Badger.

:P

soonermix
4/25/2011, 01:28 PM
based on the wording of Least Likely to come out unscathed, i voted for iowa st.
almost a certainty for them to lose

soonerboy_odanorth
4/25/2011, 02:01 PM
Leaving my blinders on...

Thought about giving the nod to Texas, but Tulsa is probably a better team right now than either BYU or UCLA. We better be ready to rock that first game out of the gates, because Tulsa is a lot better than the Utah State team that came to OU last fall and gave us all we wanted. And Florida State appears to be the only potential Top 10 non-conf matchup for any team in the Big XII... and it's at their place.

SoonerPr8r
4/25/2011, 03:24 PM
based on the wording of Least Likely to come out unscathed, i voted for iowa st.
almost a certainty for them to lose

I had to go with ISU based on the same reasoning although i was tempted to pick KSU just because of the gap between them and Miami.

tfoolry
4/25/2011, 03:38 PM
Cy-clowns; only school that can realistically lose all their non-conf. games. UNI should've beaten Iowa in Iowa City a couple yrs ago so they'll expect to beat Iowa State this yr.

Captain Obvious
4/25/2011, 03:45 PM
texas. byu and @ucla is tougher slightly than tulsa and @fsu though fsu is toughest foe. byu>>tulsa IMO.

deweydw
4/25/2011, 03:47 PM
This one is a good one. I couldn't make up my mind. I took so long to decide. I got logged out. ISU was my first choice. Then looking at Texas, they could get swept. (wishfull thinking) But they did roll Rice last year and could do it again.

So OU it is.

rekamrettuB
4/25/2011, 03:57 PM
For the most part, those are decent non conference schedules this year for the Big XII. Texas is surprisingly tough. Iowa State, Mizzu, Ok State, and OU all play two solid opponents.

Look at some of these names for Big XII opponents this year:

Iowa
UConn
TCU
Arizona State
Georgia Tech
Miami (Da U)
Nevada
Tulsa
Florida State
Arizona
BYU
UCLA
Arky

That's a pretty good lineup. Pretty proud of the scheduling from the other conference schools. Nobody has a cake walk of an OOC this year.

badger
4/25/2011, 04:03 PM
Unless there's some major announcement that merits a poll before Thursday, I am going to do a poll topic on one that people can't immediately choose the OU option. They will ALL be OU options! Nyah nyah so there :P

bmjlr
4/25/2011, 04:20 PM
Unless there's some major announcement that merits a poll before Thursday, I am going to do a poll topic on one that people can't immediately choose the OU option. They will ALL be OU options! Nyah nyah so there :P

Then I choose the OU option! :D

BoulderSooner79
4/25/2011, 04:53 PM
FSU alone gives OU the toughest non-conf test by absolute standards. But ISU and maybe KU could conceivably lose them all.

soonercoop1
4/25/2011, 05:05 PM
OSU and Texass both are about as tough as OUs except @FSU....

cvsooner
4/25/2011, 05:22 PM
Based on the teams they're playing, and where the current programs are, I finally came down for Kansas with the toughest. ISU is next...Mizzou could have its hands full, especially playing early in the heat at Arizona State.