PDA

View Full Version : Libya - Stakes Raised

soonercruiser
4/24/2011, 10:56 PM
Well, you knew it had to happen.....with the ground stalemeate.
First it was only making Libya a "No Fly Zone".
Then is was A-10s and precision gunships providing close air support.
Now it's Predator Drones....:rolleyes:

Gates says Obama has approved use of armed Predator drones for the first time in LibyaWASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has approved the use of armed drones in Libya, authorizing U.S. airstrikes on ground forces for the first time since America turned over control of the operation to NATO on April 4.

It also is the first time that drones will be used for airstrikes since the conflict began on March 19, although they have routinely been flying surveillance missions, Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters at a Pentagon briefing Thursday.

President Barack Obama has approved the use of armed Predator drone aircraft in Libya to improve the precision of low-level attacks on ground targets, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday. (April 21)
He said the U.S. will provide up to two 24-hour combat air patrols each day by the unmanned Predators.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gates-says-obama-has-approved-use-of-armed-predator-drones-in-libya/2011/04/21/AFy72vJE_story.html

Lawmakers Push for More Military Involvement in Libya Amid Stalemate Fears
Published April 24, 2011
AP
Libyan rebel fighters patrol along the western gate of Ajdabiya, Libya, April 23.
With fears mounting about a stalemate in Libya, the Obama administration is facing pressure from Congress to reclaim a lead role in the fight and take unprecedented measures to force Muammar al-Qaddafi from power.

The pressure is coming most prominently from a coterie of hawkish lawmakers, who are echoing concerns expressed by President Obama's top military advisers -- that with both sides digging in, the conflict could become a protracted struggle with no obvious exit for the United States.

The administration announced a significant policy shift Thursday, authorizing Predator drone strikes for urban areas in Libya. Some lawmakers want to see more. They are calling on the administration to formally recognize the Libyan opposition's transitional council, arm the rebels and unleash U.S. air power.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/24/lawmakers-push-military-involvement-libya-amid-stalemate-fears/

Blue
4/24/2011, 11:02 PM
Now they are just trying to take him out. Somebody really wants Libya.

Expect oil to go up even more. Geesh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8471337/Libya-western-leaders-call-for-Nato-to-target-Gaddafi.html

SoonerNate
4/25/2011, 12:17 AM
Well, you knew it had to happen.....with the ground stalemeate.
First it was only making Libya a "No Fly Zone".
Then is was A-10s and precision gunships providing close air support.
Now it's Predator Drones....:rolleyes:

I'm waiting for Senator Reid to proclaim we lost. Oh yeah, that was only when it was Bush. I forget sometimes that some were actively hoping for failure in Iraq.

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2011, 01:16 AM
Bout damn time...I never understood why we got involved in the first place...but since we helped get it started, we may as well take the lead role and force the ****er out of power!

Start a heavy air strike and start training some of the opposition fighters, they would have won this **** by now, had they had some real leadership and training...arm them and get heavily involved...but leave the boots off the ground, outside of commandos for precision airstrikes.

Curly Bill
4/25/2011, 01:21 AM
Bout damn time...I never understood why we got involved in the first place...but since we helped get it started, we may as well take the lead role and force the ****er out of power!

Start a heavy air strike and start training some of the opposition fighters, they would have won this **** by now, had they had some real leadership and training...arm them and get heavily involved...but leave the boots off the ground, outside of commandos for precision airstrikes.

I beg to differ. Military operations take considerable time, and in this case trying to oust someone out of power that's held it for how long now? Oh no, this will not be anything quick and easy regardless of what we do, outside of dropping a nuke on em, and I'm not opposed to that. :D

Blue
4/25/2011, 02:19 AM
To hell with International law. Lol. What a cluster****.

From Nobel Peace Prize to Assasinating Leaders. What a long strange trip it's been...

AlbqSooner
4/25/2011, 05:47 AM
Brack told us he wanted change. Who knew he meant he wanted to change his own positions so many times.

KABOOKIE
4/25/2011, 06:06 AM
To hell with International law. Lol. What a cluster****.

From Nobel Peace Prize to Assasinating Leaders. What a long strange trip it's been...

Heh, I had forgotten about that. I remember trying to fend off all the oblamadorks from the assertion that awarding him the NPP was an absolute flipping joke.

He is so much different than Bush. He's my hero. :rolleyes:

BudSooner
4/25/2011, 06:33 AM
Bring our Predators home safe NOW!

cccasooner2
4/25/2011, 08:08 AM
I wonder how long our CIC would refuse to step down if we asked him to?

Breadburner
4/25/2011, 08:59 AM
Brack loves his flip/flops.....

KantoSooner
4/25/2011, 09:00 AM
From where are the A-10's based? They don't have the combat radius to fly out of mainland Italy do they? Refueling is a bit troublesome if you have to do it constantly, no?

hawaii 5-0
4/25/2011, 09:24 AM
I heard it was 2 Norwegian Fighter/Bombers that attacked the Compound.

Didn't know Obamma was Norse. Thought he was Kenyan/Malaysian/Alien

5-0

Trump/ Taz 2012

Bourbon St Sooner
4/25/2011, 09:55 AM
Why is anybody surprised? Once we got involved, the only acceptable outcome was regime change. There's no way you're going to leave a divided state there.

What's so pathetic to me is how little capability the French/British seem to have. We have to lead this thing or nothing gets done? You mean the fukin French can't even take out Libya? What a paper tiger. It just goes to show how the US has subsidized the security of western Europe.

I say we run the show and the French pay for it.

soonercruiser
4/25/2011, 03:36 PM
I heard it was 2 Norwegian Fighter/Bombers that attacked the Compound.

Didn't know Obamma was Norse. Thought he was Kenyan/Malaysian/Alien

5-0

Trump/ Taz 2012

Birth certificates, even foreign ones, are easy to come by these days, you know.
:rolleyes:

SoonerNate
5/30/2011, 11:30 PM
FLASHBACK! Obama: U.S. Involvement in Libya Action Would Last “Days, Not Weeks” In 3rd month already!

SoonerBorn68
5/31/2011, 12:07 AM
How would he know anyway? He's been busy being Irish, insulting Brits, & playing golf.

Memtig14
5/31/2011, 12:14 AM
Brack told us he wanted change. Who knew he meant he wanted to change his own positions so many times.

:)

I guess he found out being strong raised his ratings.

TOO late.

SoonerStormchaser
5/31/2011, 12:26 AM
FLASHBACK! Obama: U.S. Involvement in Libya Action Would Last “Days, Not Weeks” In 3rd month already!

Yup...and guess who's still gone supporting NATO actions?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/31/2011, 01:46 AM
Why is anybody surprised? Once we got involved, the only acceptable outcome was regime change. There's no way you're going to leave a divided state there.

What's so pathetic to me is how little capability the French/British seem to have. We have to lead this thing or nothing gets done? You mean the fukin French can't even take out Libya? What a paper tiger. It just goes to show how the US has subsidized the security of western Europe.

I say we run the show and the French pay for it.Guess the Moslem Brotherhood needs our help on this one. With 3 wars going now for the US, you'd think the American Media would be Shirley be squawking...haha

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/31/2011, 01:48 AM
:)

I guess he found out backing Islamist uprisings raised his ratings.

TOO late.FIFY

afs
5/31/2011, 08:16 AM
Yup...and guess who's still gone supporting NATO actions?

I got to leave at 60 days. I think we were probably at the same location at the same time.

sappstuf
6/1/2011, 08:25 AM

NATO extends Libya operations to September (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/nato-formally-extends-libya-mission-90-days-100141091.html)

SoonerStormchaser
6/1/2011, 08:32 AM
I got to leave at 60 days. I think we were probably at the same location at the same time.

Ummm...no we won't. I got screwed into going somewhere else...