PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton

oudavid1
4/23/2011, 08:49 PM
Can throw. But he really needs to stop talking. He killed himself with the Gruden special. He couldnt even give a good play call.

salth2o
4/23/2011, 09:15 PM
Newton said. “And our method is ‘simplistic equals fast.’ It’s so simple as far as, you look to the sideline [and] you see 36 on the board. And that’s a play. And we’re off.”

Flip right, double-X, Jet, 36 counter, naked waggle, X-7, X-quarter is a little more complex than "36". :rolleyes:

Mongo
4/23/2011, 09:22 PM
Gruden didnt like Bradford all that much, so these interviews mean dick

OK2U
4/23/2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GqGLPh9PoY
Aint that how we call plays ?

OK2U
4/23/2011, 09:31 PM
How easily everyone forgets the excitement when the news broke that Stoops was going after Cam Newton. OU didn't play Auburn. Cam Newton didn't beat us, but the hate he gets on this board is almost aggie.
Go back and watch the tape.
Cam Newton was scary good last year and deserves the hype.

Can you give a good play call?
go tweet something

OK2U
4/23/2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/gruden_newton_was_most_impress.html

ESPN analyst and former NFL head coach Jon Gruden downplayed a sequence of his "QB Camp" segment with Auburn's Cam Newton on ESPN in which Newton could not give him an example of the verbiage of an Auburn play call.

"You're putting me on the spot," Newton said in the segment. Then, when Gruden conceded that plays weren't called in the huddle at Auburn, Newton added: "We really don't. Our method is: Simplistic equals fast."

In a teleconference earlier this week, Gruden said Newton was the most impressive of the top quarterback prospects he interviewed and showed good retention of the material they covered.

"It's not his fault that they don't huddle," Gruden said of the Tigers. "Cam Newton will learn quickly what to call formations, what to call shifts, what to call motions. ... What he's got to get ready for right away is learning the terminology and how to spit these plays out clearly, quickly, and get the team up to the line of scrimmage where he has time to deal."

Pressed to pick a player he believes the Carolina Panthers will take with the No. 1 overall pick, Gruden chose Newton.

"I just like the look in his eyes, the eagerness and the feeling that he has a lot to prove to everybody, including himself," Gruden said. "I don't think it's going to happen overnight. But this is the kind of guy you're looking for."

Gruden said the addition of Newton to a running game that already includes DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart could be very attractive, and added that Newton has the deep-ball accuracy for the vertical game favored by new Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski.

"I think he does have touch on the deep throws," Gruden said of Newton. "His down-the-field accuracy at times is outstanding. He had some deep balls drop this year that were right on the money.

"I think it's a matter of him learning and getting conditioned to what the coach wants him to do, and he can do it. This guy has tremendous ability."

oudavid1
4/23/2011, 10:20 PM
Simplistic is the problem. QBs who ran a simplistic offense...Vince Young.
Coaches tailor their offenses to their personal. "Simplistic" means he was smart enough. Or at least it does to me.

Cam Newton is going to be a bust in my opinion.

OU-HSV
4/23/2011, 10:52 PM
Simplistic is the problem. QBs who ran a simplistic offense...Vince Young.
Coaches tailor their offenses to their personal. "Simplistic" means he was smart enough. Or at least it does to me.

Cam Newton is going to be a bust in my opinion.

Yeah it cracked me up...Cam was like uh "36"

Breadburner
4/23/2011, 10:58 PM
He's not smart.....

sooner518
4/23/2011, 11:20 PM
How easily everyone forgets the excitement when the news broke that Stoops was going after Cam Newton. OU didn't play Auburn. Cam Newton didn't beat us, but the hate he gets on this board is almost aggie.

go tweet something

obviously he was awesome last year. dont think anyone is disputing that. he gets so much hate because everyone knows he and his sleezeball dad took a bunch of money and lied about it to everybody. personally, i wish nothing but failure for this guy in his professional life.

that said, he seems like a fairly smart guy in interviews, however Im not sure how smart you can be if you do crap like this:
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/camnewtonlaptop.jpg

cleller
4/24/2011, 08:59 AM
Cam Newton+Simplistic($186000)=Simplistic

King Crimson
4/24/2011, 09:03 AM
i don't watch the NFL much, but i'm almost certain that when you talk about the "vertical game" unless you have Cliff Branch and Kenny Stabler at QB on your team....you are going to fail. not sure why.

feels that way.

Sooner_Tuf
4/24/2011, 12:38 PM

Most people didn't know much about him other than he looked great on the field at Blinn.

Turns out he's a lying, thieving doosh (which is why he was at Blinn) and deserves the hate.

bixby28
4/24/2011, 01:03 PM
Newton, whether I dislike him or not, was one of the best college football players i've ever watched. He's not going to impress anyone when he tries to articulate a concept or idea, but he can get it done on the field. He reminds me of VY (big surprise) but more capable as a passer.

adoniijahsooner
4/24/2011, 01:15 PM
I wish Cam would have come to OU.

hawaii 5-0
4/24/2011, 02:04 PM
System Quarterback. Whatever his team's system is.

5-0

Trump/ Les 2012

BoulderSooner79
4/24/2011, 03:30 PM
I wish Cam would have come to OU.

Even with the MSU thing and the assumption (true or not) that whoever got him outbid MSU? In the long run, I suspect we'll all be glad Auburn got him.

OU-HSV
4/24/2011, 05:05 PM
obviously he was awesome last year. dont think anyone is disputing that. he gets so much hate because everyone knows he and his sleezeball dad took a bunch of money and lied about it to everybody. personally, i wish nothing but failure for this guy in his professional life.

that said, he seems like a fairly smart guy in interviews, however Im not sure how smart you can be if you do crap like this:
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/camnewtonlaptop.jpg

I think you probably sum it up for a lot of us with this post

OU-HSV
4/24/2011, 05:29 PM
I don't want to make another Cam Newton thread, so I thought I'd post this here...this is funny, I lie detector website for Cam Newton...
http://www.camnewtonliedetector.com/

rainiersooner
4/24/2011, 10:06 PM
Newton, whether I dislike him or not, was one of the best college football players i've ever watched. He's not going to impress anyone when he tries to articulate a concept or idea, but he can get it done on the field. He reminds me of VY (big surprise) but more capable as a passer.

I thought he sounded pretty articulate to me. BTW, I don't think Sam Bradford ever sounded that articulate in interviews either (he does now). I don't think I sounded articulate as 22 year old. Maybe you did. I don't see the comparison to Vince Young at all.

rainiersooner
4/24/2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah it cracked me up...Cam was like uh "36"

By the way - who made Gruden the QB god? Get a job instead of ripping on 22 year old ex college quarterbacks.

OU-HSV
4/24/2011, 11:07 PM
By the way - who made Gruden the QB god? Get a job instead of ripping on 22 year old ex college quarterbacks.

I didn't know anyone said he was a QB god.
But I have a lot of respect for the guy considering he's been around the game most or all of his life, and he's seen some success in his former coaching career. These 22 year old kids don't have more football smarts than Gruden, and they ought to be interested in/respect what he has to say. And in all honesty I haven't really seen him rip into any of the QBs since he started this show...at worst he's given them constructive criticism which is the main point of the show, (besides entertaining football fans in the offseason).
I saw the full version of the Cam Newton episode this afternoon, I really didn't think he was rough on him. The short three (or so) minute version of Cam Newton that I watched on espn.com the other day was the part that was most critical of Cam's play book knowledge. And really Gruden didn't ask Cam a brain buster of a question, he just wanted to hear him talk about any complicated plays...which apparently wasn't something that Cam was capable of doing, or at least not when "put on the spot" as Cam said. (which I don't understand since these QBs who appear on the show ought to have an idea of how the show works). Besides, if the 22 year old ex-college QBs can't handle talking to a former NFL coach who is trying to give them some constructive criticism, maybe those QBs shouldn't sign up for his show.

Curly Bill
4/25/2011, 12:10 AM
I don't like Newton or Gruden...

...and those Gruden QB dealios are painful to watch. I like football but I'm
not watching that cheeseball crap.

bixby28
4/25/2011, 08:34 PM
I thought he sounded pretty articulate to me. BTW, I don't think Sam Bradford ever sounded that articulate in interviews either (he does now). I don't think I sounded articulate as 22 year old. Maybe you did. I don't see the comparison to Vince Young at all.

I'm not comparing VY and Cam Newton's intelligence or communication skills, i'm comparing their abilities. To articulate something means nothing more than to be able to clearly express your ideas or points in a conversation/discussion. I'm not the smurtest fellar in the world, but at 22, I think I could manage that.

As far as the comparison between VY and Newton: They are very much the same type of player.

VY 2005 TEX 212 325 65.2 3036 9.3 26 75 10 163.95
2005 TEX 155 1050 6.8 80 12

CN 2010 AUB 185 280 66.1 2854 10.2 30 94 7 182.05
2010 AUB 264 1473 5.6 71 20

badger
4/26/2011, 10:08 AM
Gruden was the only recent head coach that could get Al Davis off his back. That has to be worth something.

OU_Sooners75
4/26/2011, 10:14 AM

go tweet something

Welcome back to the board dick...

Anyway, a lot of people hate on Cam Newton because of the $180,000 issue.

I personally do not hate him...dont know him....but I do think there is more to the story than what has came out...and the NCAA settled for the answers they were given.

OU_Sooners75
4/26/2011, 10:16 AM
There is a reason people are not knocking down Gruden's door to come coach their NFL team!

He is not that good of a HC. He had a few good seasons in a row, and then it went to **** and he couldn't recover.

NormanPride
4/26/2011, 10:25 AM
People are overplaying this. Cam came in during the Summer and wasn't even the starter at the start of fall camp. They simplified the offense because he didn't have time to learn it. The dude came in, dominated for a year, and left. He's got talent, but a TON of baggage. It's not his mental maturity that's the question, it's his emotional maturity. Teams are concerned that he's lazy, takes shortcuts, and will not be respected or trusted by teammates.

oudavid1
4/26/2011, 11:42 AM

I agree with this.

and as a Titans fan who watched Vince closely, he wasnt big time.

Though he did win us a few.

LakeRat
4/26/2011, 01:46 PM
Was watching him training for the combine, his QB coach was talking to him and he quit listening and was distracted by the TV.

That would have concerned me a lot. I don't know why the playbook was so simplistic, but it was. Was it b/c he wasn't smart enough or was it b/c it was indeed faster?

picasso
4/28/2011, 08:59 PM

go tweet something

He won't run for 98 yards a game in the NFL. Sorry.

Aldebaran
4/28/2011, 09:13 PM
http://demotivational.ca/haters-gonna-hate/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters-gonna-hate-batman-rollerblading.jpg

Soonerpsycho
4/28/2011, 09:14 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/cambum.jpg

ashley
4/29/2011, 11:28 AM
I see some mechanics problems but they are mostly with his feet and not his arm. This is much easier to change than the throwing motion. VY's had all around bad mechanics, especially with his throwing motion. He has not correct this and will not. Guys that don't have it by high school seldom improve on this. It may be the hardest thing in football to change. It are almost as hard to change as study habits that are generally ingrained by the age of 18 to 20. He and VY may suffer from the same study habits. I hope not.

oudavid1
4/29/2011, 11:33 AM
I see some mechanics problems but they are mostly with his feet and not his arm. This is much easier to change than the throwing motion. VY's had all around bad mechanics, especially with his throwing motion. He has not correct this and will not. Guys that don't have it by high school seldom improve on this. It may be the hardest thing in football to change. It are almost as hard to change as study habits that are generally ingrained by the age of 18 to 20.

i think Cam has the athletic ability and the basic skills to play football. I just dont see him as a QB. I understand he won the Heisman, but so did a lot of other guys who were great in college and a sorry pro. Its really annoying to me that people make such a big deal out of him because he went undefeated. So did Andy Dalton. Its not how good a player is as much as media hype. Media hype equals fan hype which equals money. Money is all that maters for Carolina right now. They could have signed a better olineman or something other than a QB who pro football weekly called a fake.

ashley
4/29/2011, 11:47 AM
I disagree to an extent. As a college player he was as good as it gets. He carried to the NC. Will he transfer to he NFL.. I certainly have my doubts. It is a passing league, not a QB running league.

budbarrybob
4/29/2011, 01:55 PM

I'd have to disagree. After a year at the pro level he's like what 23? Sam, IMHO has sounded very good at the mic.

oudavid1
4/29/2011, 03:21 PM

Well he is nowhere near "I see myself as an entertainer and an icon"

I disagree to an extent. As a college player he was as good as it gets. He carried to the NC. Will he transfer to he NFL.. I certainly have my doubts. It is a passing league, not a QB running league.

For a running QB who relies on his legs to make the money....yes.

Cornfed
4/29/2011, 03:25 PM
I know I can't throw a ball for crap!!

SoonerinSouthlake
5/1/2011, 12:16 PM
Gruden was the only recent head coach that could get Al Davis off his back. That has to be worth something.

If by getting him off his back you mean quiting/getting fired...I agree

SoonerinSouthlake
5/1/2011, 12:18 PM
Flip right, double-X, Jet, 36 counter, naked waggle, X-7, X-quarter is a little more complex than "36". :rolleyes:

naked waggle....
tee hee hee

oudavid1
5/1/2011, 02:12 PM

left trips gun jet 800 h out halfback wheel check 24 read over ringo on 2.

"listen for the check, ready break"

I miss my QB days.

picasso
5/1/2011, 02:13 PM
Slot right, Y dump. Scored 90% of the time in 7th grade.

swardboy
5/1/2011, 03:16 PM
Everybody go deep!

OU-HSV
5/1/2011, 04:10 PM
Yesterday morning on (I think it was fox sports radio I was listening to/it was am 1300 in Tulsa), I heard an interesting comparison of interview responses of last year's first overall pick QB (our boy Sam Bradford) and this year's first overall pick QB (Cam Newton). The similar question asked to each of them in a post draft interview was are you going to be ready/capable to play in game one of the upcoming season. Did anyone else hear this?
It was pretty good stuff...let me see if I can find this sound bite...

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't dig up the radio segment that I heard. But in a nutshell these guys played Cam Newton's response to the question of whether he is going to be ready to play in game one...and then they played the response Sam Bradford had to the same type of question. They were kinda tearing into Cam a bit saying that he sounded more interested in trying to be a good teammate than trying to prove that he was worth the top pick in the draft, and stuff along those lines. Then they played Sam's response and they basically said how Sam showed total class by saying that he would do everything he could to be prepared to play, and that he had great QBs in St. Louis that he would be learning from, and that ultimately it would be up to the coaches who would play. But that he would work hard, etc. etc.
(Anyway, I didn't think Cam's answer was as bad as these guys made it sound, but I understood the point they were trying to make, which is if a team drafts you as a QB number one overall, you better let them know that if you are asked to be the starter you will be ready or you will do everything in your power to be ready.)
Anyway, it was more interesting hearing it on the radio yesterday than I made it sound here :D

And as a side note, while I was searching for the radio segment I ran into a few stories about how Cam had refused to do any predraft interviews with some local Carolina media...and stuff like that. Here are a couple of the stories I ran into:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Cam-Newton-does-not-speak-to-media-at-NFL-draft-charity-event-042711

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/auburn_qb_cam_newton_didnt_stick_around_for_interv iews_in_new_york_city/4634794