PDA

View Full Version : Casey Arent 6'10" 240lb Juco Center *commits*

northspeter
4/23/2011, 07:57 PM
according to OUhoops.com

Collier11
4/23/2011, 08:00 PM
Ive heard alot about this guy but I dont know much about him other than he is a hoss, what can you guys tell me?

northspeter
4/23/2011, 08:07 PM
Ive heard alot about this guy but I dont know much about him other than he is a hoss, what can you guys tell me?

played at Sierra JC in California... former sooner Chris Walker was one of his coaches... he averaged 23pts. 13 boards... this season... has put on 60 pounds since he arrived at the school... has 3 years left to play 2...

Collier11
4/23/2011, 08:17 PM
Does he have range or is he a inside presence solely?

northspeter
4/23/2011, 08:21 PM
supposed to be a good passer, decent defender... slow footed... big body, likes to rebound...

Collier11
4/23/2011, 08:32 PM
Maybe he can turn into that Aaron Gray from Pitt from a few years back, similiar builds

sooner518
4/23/2011, 11:15 PM
he gonna be eligible to come in and play this year?

Collier11
4/23/2011, 11:17 PM
yes

sooner518
4/23/2011, 11:25 PM
yes

sweet

i guess the better question is can he earn any meaningful playing time, or will he basically backup Fitz and Osby?

yankee
4/24/2011, 12:51 AM
We needed a big body and got one. He's definitely not a program changer, but it's nice to have a somewhat capable 5 on the roster.

King Crimson
4/24/2011, 06:37 AM
another juco we can praise to heaven and then want to pull his schollie in a year?

that's how we do.

badger
4/24/2011, 07:39 AM
Under Capel, yes. But this is a different coach and we need to have a more optimistic outlook! Perhaps this is back to when JUCOs meant people like Taj Gray?

King Crimson
4/24/2011, 07:57 AM
Under Capel, yes. But this is a different coach and we need to have a more optimistic outlook! Perhaps this is back to when JUCOs meant people like Taj Gray?

we've been like this since more than a convenient Capel scapegoat.

we've had some great players who went JUCO, sure. but my point is that we tend to overlove the "JUCO player of the year" who signs up with OU, is the immediate answer (esp at PG), and then is a middling player.

toast
4/24/2011, 11:43 AM
another juco we can praise to heaven and then want to pull his schollie in a year?

that's how we do.

that's how it goes with juco players and being successful, some are and some Arent. :)

NCSooner18
4/24/2011, 12:02 PM
Does he have range or is he a inside presence solely?

Screw range. Who wants another 6'10" guy that thinks he's a shooting guard?

Bourbon St Sooner
4/24/2011, 01:08 PM
supposed to be a good passer, decent defender... slow footed... big body, likes to rebound...

Just what we need. A rebounder's got to be worth 4 more wins. We had no rebounders this year.

Eielson
4/24/2011, 02:17 PM
we've been like this since more than a convenient Capel scapegoat.

McGhee? Ere? White? Detrick? Gray? Everett? Neal?

pappy
4/24/2011, 02:31 PM

Definitely what we needed. Our lack of size this past season was very evident.

pappy
4/24/2011, 02:32 PM
I like what kruger is doing he is going after size. ... This guy and then that m'baye guy in another year...both of them together will be very very helpful.

stoopified
4/24/2011, 02:53 PM
I like what kruger is doing he is going after size. ... This guy and then that m'baye guy in another year...both of them together will be very very helpful.WE hope.I recall some people getting excited about a 6'9 UCLA transfer.I don't get too excited until I actually see a guy play for OU.

Adrian
4/24/2011, 03:02 PM
I hear that he's slower than refrigerated molasses...

King Crimson
4/24/2011, 03:20 PM
McGhee? Ere? White? Detrick? Gray? Everett? Neal?

c'mon, this is really how you are going to play this? everyone knows those names...Anthony Bowie, Mookie, David Little...sure. Ebi actually signed with OU and didn't qualify.

my point is every time we sign a JUCO all-american it's like the rain comes for the drought. worked out some for Kelvin some, Billy got a lot sh*t for it in the day of the worship bounce-pass, oh the pure basketball of no shot clock and east coast basketball where a marginal high school grad who plays for Syracuse is "street legend" or played at Rucker Park. meanwhile a kid from New Mexico, Oklahoma, or Texas who goes JUCO has questionable character in a "win at all costs program". point is still the same. now we are going to blame Capel for trying.

i'm not ripping JUCOs. i'm pointing to the fact that you never know with JUCO's....it's the off-season. no one thinks rationally in the offseason. this guy is going to be great...

have you ever heard of David Little?

Eielson
4/24/2011, 03:30 PM
I named 7 JUCO's that Sampson brought in over a period of around 5 years who came in and made a big impact for us. I'm not saying that all JUCO's are going to be amazing, but Sampson had tremendous success, and that's why we are optimistic about JUCO's here. Nobody is saying he's going to be the savior of this program, but we think we might have just gotten a solid player. I doubt Kruger will have the same success with JUCO's as Sampson did, but I highly doubt he will do as bad as Capel.

Salt City Sooner
4/24/2011, 05:17 PM
With the onslaught of prep schools taking the majority of elite talent, tempering expectations about JUCO's a bit is probably a good thing. Sure, you can still find a Taj Gray level player in them here & there, but the talent pool overall has become much, much more shallow since those days, even though they weren't that long ago.

Sooner95
4/24/2011, 05:54 PM
6'10" Good. That is the right direction. we need HEIGHT down low.

rekamrettuB
4/25/2011, 10:15 AM
i'm not ripping JUCOs. i'm pointing to the fact that you never know with JUCO's....it's the off-season. no one thinks rationally in the offseason. this guy is going to be great...

have you ever heard of David Little?

Isn't this basically all players no matter from high school, JUCO, play basketball, football, baseball, etc. They are all risks.

badger
4/25/2011, 10:46 AM
I don't know much about the guys Lon is bringing in, but all of these signings (admittedly, during signing period) after he arrives kind of seems to suggest that he is hitting the ground running on this whole OU job thing and it wasn't just "I got paid, not time to take it easy for awhile."

This might just be the impression I am getting as a casual, but very loving OU mens basketball fan, but it's a nice impression to get. He's throwing out the pitch at an OU baseball game, he's at OU's Red-White game, he's in that "thank you Sooner Club" promo video already, this guy has been busy!

And that's wonderful. I hope these new players work as hard as Lon obviously is upon their arrival in Norman.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/25/2011, 10:48 AM
I agree, he is doing a great job becoming a member of OU's family.

birddog
4/25/2011, 04:07 PM
sweet

i guess the better question is can he earn any meaningful playing time, or will he basically backup Fitz and Osby?

yes.

badger
4/25/2011, 05:34 PM
I agree, he is doing a great job becoming a member of OU's family.

I was recently reminded that Jeff Capel's real first name is "Felton." And I smiled a little at the thought of a funnier first name for an OU men's basketball coach than "Lon." :)