PDA

View Full Version : Will Muschamp: "I Don't Want To Be A CEO Coach"

JLEW1818
4/22/2011, 11:33 PM
So the first bit of Will Muschamp's "car wash" tour of ESPN in Bristol is done, and we already have our sound bite for the day. This is what Muschamp said to Josh Elliott after being asked about filling Urban Meyer's shoes:

That quote's already been seized upon by some of college football's chattering class — me included — but what does it mean? Is it revelation about Muschamp's style and/or commentary on his predecessor at Florida or his mentor at Texas, Mack Brown?

I'd say it's both. It can be construed as a slap at Meyer, who went from micro-micromanager to quasi-CEO coachin 2010 after his health scare, or at Brown, who has embodied the CEO coach model at Texas. There's not a ton wrong with wanting to be like Meyer or Brown, because three national championships between them dampens some of the criticism that could be leveled, but there's certainly a contrast between the 2010 Meyer/Brown approach and one that Muschamp's other major mentor, Nick Saban, relies on.

I suspect Muschamp's more like Saban or old Meyer than new Meyer or Brown, and that this quote was mostly about noting that he's wired differently, and hungry for the unglamorous work of coaching a football program. Later in the interview, he explained how he doesn't like how things like ESPN interviews take him away from the field, and gave a mission statement that makes "I don't want to be a CEO coach" sound mostly like an explanation of self:

"I'ma be Will Muschamp. That's all I know how to be."
It remains to be seen if Will Muschamp can be a winning head coach. But I'm satisfied with how he's handling the other duties so far.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2011/4/21/2124744/will-muschamp-i-dont-want-to-be-a-ceo-coach-quote

JLEW1818
4/22/2011, 11:35 PM
an obvious shot at Mack Brown

IronHorseSooner
4/23/2011, 08:30 AM
Absolutely a shot at Brown.

picasso
4/23/2011, 08:31 AM
Does this mean he won't be using the clap technique?

47straight
4/23/2011, 08:45 AM
http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/oh_snap.gif

badger
4/23/2011, 09:23 AM
Mack Brown was heading into retirement last year, I think it was very apparent and obvious that he wasn't putting in the effort he had in the past recruiting-wise, coaching-wise, everything-wise. He's close to retirement age, so usually no problem with that. But, when you make about $5 mil, you're not being paid to retire or even semi-retire.

IronHorseSooner
4/23/2011, 09:57 AM
Mack Brown was heading into retirement last year...

Which begs the question- what is this year?

Leroy Lizard
4/23/2011, 10:15 AM
Which begs the question-

Get him, Froze!

Jacie
4/23/2011, 01:14 PM
Which brings up the point about Mack Brown's coaching style. The perception is that he lets the coordinators run the team. It has been suggested that sa*et's failures not just last year but other seasons when the whorns have faltered after seemingly having a clear path to the Big XII North crown were not the fault of Brown but the coordinators (Greg Davis was the perennial scapegoat). Although he always claimed to hold himself alone responsible for every loss, the world saw what happened when the program collapsed completely and all at once, Mack couldn't hand out enough blame. Now that the whorns have replaced all of their bad old coordinators, their fanbase expects the pieces will fall back into place for routine runs at the National Championship. However, if Mack continues to sit back and let coordinators work without real direction from the top, no matter how good they may have been at other schools, the potential for another 2010-type meltdown remains high.

OhU1
4/23/2011, 01:38 PM
Does this mean he won't be using the clap technique?

:D

And will Mush "answer that one for Chris" when his QB has a boo boo? :mack:

rekamrettuB
4/23/2011, 01:41 PM
I'ma be?

Sooner_Tuf
4/23/2011, 01:49 PM
I'ma be?

Keeping it real :D

PLaw
4/23/2011, 07:01 PM
Mack Brown was heading into retirement last year, I think it was very apparent and obvious that he wasn't putting in the effort he had in the past recruiting-wise, coaching-wise, everything-wise. He's close to retirement age, so usually no problem with that. But, when you make about $5 mil, you're not being paid to retire or even semi-retire.

Mack was clinically depressed after losing the mnc to bamar. Cut him some slack - NOT

Boomer

Flying Scotsman
4/23/2011, 10:41 PM
"I Don't Want To Be A CEO Coach", I'm a Toy's R Us Kid"

mightysooner
4/25/2011, 07:08 PM
an obvious shot at Mack Brown

^ This

Brown was just a figurehead UT PR machine propped up by good coaches who he'd thrown under the bus for besmirching his image last season. That's why they mutinied against him.

PalmBeachSooner
4/26/2011, 01:41 PM
:D

And will Mush "answer that one for Chris" when his QB has a boo boo? :mack:

Probably.

Brantley and Gilbert were separated at birth and both ended up in the wrong offensive system. It wouldn't be fair to throw them under the bus.

Jacie
4/26/2011, 01:45 PM
As of today, four gator football players have been busted for pot since Muschamp became their head coach.

badger
4/26/2011, 02:18 PM
As of today, four gator football players have been busted for pot since Muschamp became their head coach.

They might not win the national title, the SEC or even a bowl game this season, but they just might have a chance at the Fulmer Cup.

Oh wait, another SEC team already has that wrapped up (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/3/11/2044789/fulmer-cupdate-auburn-goes-all-in-the-front-door-with-a-gun), regardless of what happens. hahahahhahahahahahahaha

Soonermagik
4/26/2011, 03:06 PM
I think he means like Brown and Paterno who are more figureheads than anything else. I think Will wants to run the defense and get in the huddle. Honestly, I admire that. I won't be surprised if Brown leaves on a sour note with the Whorns.

badger
4/26/2011, 03:12 PM
I won't be surprised if Brown leaves on a sour note with the Whorns.

2011-12 is a make-or-break season for :mack: As much as I hate the whornish, I don't think Mack is such a bad guy to wish ill fortune on him. I would be happy with 2000-2004 result season for Mack... a loss to OU, but ok success elsewhere.

I know that they had the Big 12 South in 2001, but that was entirely our fault for giving it to them, so I would be fine with that result if it was our fault, not Mack's.

JLEW1818
4/26/2011, 03:36 PM
Florida boots Janoris Jenkins from team

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6431674

badger
4/26/2011, 04:16 PM

Even though he was projected as a high first-round pick, Jenkins decided to stay in school rather than enter the NFL draft

You are now all hearing the Prince is Right horn in your head. Ba-dump-ba-dum. Booooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww. :D

Soonermagik
4/26/2011, 06:41 PM

Good for him!!! He needs to run a tight ship and get rid of the morons. This will set a precedent, if you screw up, you're gone.

JLEW1818
4/26/2011, 08:49 PM
you know what?

I never really hated Muschamp ....

he seems alright?