PDA

View Full Version : Cheap airline tickets?

oumartin
4/22/2011, 02:13 PM
Just curious if any of you peeps know how to score cheaper airline tickets or is what you see online typically the best deal you can get?

This years vacation I am thinking of flying instead of driving but only if I can find a good deal.

yermom
4/22/2011, 02:18 PM
i generally use kayak.com or the airline's site. i haven't looked in a while though

moving the dates around a little helps a lot. like flying on Tuesday or Thursday instead of Monday or Friday.

OrlandoSooner
4/22/2011, 02:39 PM
Just curious if any of you peeps know how to score cheaper airline tickets or is what you see online typically the best deal you can get?

This years vacation I am thinking of flying instead of driving but only if I can find a good deal.

Priceline - if you don't mind what time of day that you will fly.

oumartin
4/22/2011, 02:45 PM
Priceline - if you don't mind what time of day that you will fly.

funny how an Orlando person responded! :)

okc to orlando

so, do you have a large home? ;)

SoonerNate
4/22/2011, 02:48 PM
I hope you aren't coming to Orlando in the summer time. When will folks learn that the best time to come down here is any time other than summer?

Mongo
4/22/2011, 02:49 PM
just think, if you were in Bakersfield, you would be that much closer to west coast destinations

oumartin
4/22/2011, 02:53 PM
I hope you aren't coming to Orlando in the summer time. When will folks learn that the best time to come down here is any time other than summer?

some of us don't have a freakin' choice. I would come in late in the year but kids are in school. earlier in the summer I cannot get vacation time.

oumartin
4/22/2011, 02:54 PM
just think, if you were in Bakersfield, you would be that much closer to west coast destinations

IKR! plus I could get socal discounts.

OrlandoSooner
4/22/2011, 02:58 PM

okc to orlando

Not only is it large... But I have many leather-bound books and my house smells of rich mahogany

One of the tricks I've learned from bidding on Priceline is that you can bid from multiple departure cities to try to get the lowest price. Priceline normally caps your number of bids from one departure city for a given time period (I think it is 24 hours). One work around is to submit bids from different cities.

Start with OKC for $150, Declined > OKC for 155, Declined > OKC for 160, Declined.
Most people stop there and try again on the next day. I think you can then try,
Edmond for $165, Declined > Edmond for $170, declined, etc.
Norman for 180, etc

This method helps you stair step up your offer with in smaller increments. It keeps you from over paying.

Still, Priceline normally puts you in on very late or very early flights. I don't mind the early/late issues if it is somewhere that I"m going for a longer period of time. If I'm flying in for a couple of days, I won't do Priceline as I may get stuck with a late arrival and early departure. Not as big of deal if you are staying longer.

$

SoonerNate
4/22/2011, 03:06 PM
I use Best Fares.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/22/2011, 03:22 PM
I got SUPERBLY LOW PRICED airline tickets from ORBITZ online from PHX RT to OKC, back in early March. I booked it over 2 weeks ahead of departure time.

IB4OU2
4/22/2011, 03:55 PM

okc to orlando

I flew to Orlanda about three weeks ago on American. The tickets were about $ 485 roundtrip.

oumartin
4/22/2011, 04:09 PM
485x4= thousand dollars more than driving.

yermom
4/22/2011, 05:58 PM
Orlando isn't that bad of a drive :D

87sooner
4/22/2011, 06:14 PM
some of us don't have a freakin' choice. I would come in late in the year but kids are in school. earlier in the summer I cannot get vacation time.

i took my family to disney in 2009....we went the friday before thanksgiving....took the kids out of school after lunch....got to our hotel about midnight....flew out of wichita
returned home the day after thanksgiving...
kids only missed a day and a half of school and nothing ever gets done the week of thanksgiving anyway.

the crowds weren't bad at all the first 4 days...then things picked up on wednesday and thanksgiving day...
the place was already decorated for Christmas and that was really nice...
also the weather was beautiful...other than one day it drizzled...the rest of the time was about 70 degrees and sunny.

Al Gore
4/22/2011, 06:49 PM
I flew to Orlanda about three weeks ago on American. The tickets were about $ 485 roundtrip.
You can get better.....look at the Southwest site and after you pick your days, if flexible, look at the low fare calender.

Whet
4/22/2011, 06:54 PM
Delta $337 rt. Plus you bags.... AA is $25 for first bag, $35 for second.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/22/2011, 07:38 PM
i took my family to disney in 2009....we went the friday before thanksgiving....took the kids out of school after lunch....got to our hotel about midnight....flew out of wichita
returned home the day after thanksgiving...
kids only missed a day and a half of school and nothing ever gets done the week of thanksgiving anyway.

the crowds weren't at all the first 4 days...then things picked up on wednesday and thanksgiving day...
he place was already decorated for Christmas and that was really nice...
also the weather was beautiful...other than one day it drizzled...the rest of the time was about 70 degrees and sunny.

My kids' school district finally just gave up because of this, and now take the whole damned Thanksgiving week off. THey were losing too much funding due to low attendance.

Mongo
4/22/2011, 07:43 PM
Delta $337 rt. Plus you bags.... AA is $25 for first bag, $35 for second.

martin's old bag will cost him at least one hunnerd doll hairs at minimum

oumartin
4/22/2011, 09:48 PM
martin's old bag will cost him at least one hunnerd doll hairs at minimum

plus she won't fit in a pet carrier.

Mongo
4/22/2011, 09:53 PM
shoe horn that ***