PDA

View Full Version : Church takes a stand on gay marriage

3rdgensooner
4/22/2011, 10:54 AM
Kentucky church won't sign marriage licenses (http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/Kentucky_church_wont_sign_marriage_licenses_120331 944.html)

Leaders of a Christian Church in Louisville say they will stop signing state marriage licenses in a show of support for gay couples in Kentucky who can't enjoy the same legal benefits as married couples.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Leaders of a Christian Church in Louisville say they will stop signing state marriage licenses in a show of support for gay couples in Kentucky who can't enjoy the same legal benefits as married couples.

More than 60 members at the Douglass Boulevard Christian Church voted unanimously in favor of the gesture on Sunday. Church leaders said they wouldn't sign licenses until gay couples are able to enjoy the financial and other advantages of a legal marriage in Kentucky.

Pastors who sign the licenses bestow "a number of gifts and benefits" to married couples, said the Rev. Derek Penwell, the church's senior pastor.

"It seems the system itself is unjust, and our position at this point is, we love people across the board here and we don't want to be in a position that underwrites a system that discriminates against people we care about," Penwell said.

Penwell said the church's move is in line with "the teachings of Jesus that focus on the necessity of embracing the powerless, giving voice to the voiceless."

Some other congregations in Ohio, New York, Virginia and Oregon have made similar stands in support of gay marriage, many in response to their state's bans on gay marriage.

Kentucky was one of 11 states that voted in 2004 to change its constitution to outlaw same-sex marriages. The constitutional amendment said marriage is limited to one man and one woman. It also prohibited unmarried people from ever obtaining "legal status identical to or similar to marriage." Same-sex marriages were already prohibited under Kentucky law.

The Louisville church will continue to hold weddings but couples would have to seek legal a signature for their marriage license from an official. Penwell said the church hosted about eight weddings last year.

Chris Hartman, director of the Fairness Campaign, a Louisville-based gay-rights group, called the church a "pioneer
congregation."

"This is an incredible gesture towards fairness and equality in faith," Hartman said.

Legal marriage gives couples in Kentucky tax, insurance and inheritance benefits that aren't available to same-sex couples, Hartman said. He said gay couples are able to adopt children, but the process is complicated and only one parent is eligible for full parental rights.

Penwell said the church in eastern Louisville, which attracts about 100 members to Sunday services, has attracted a growing number of gay members over the past year but the flock remains predominantly straight. Penwell said the church, a member of the Disciples of Christ, has received some negative feedback since the decision, but "90 to 95 percent" of it has been supportive.

C&CDean
4/22/2011, 10:56 AM
Like anybody gives a **** what happens in Kentucky.

KantoSooner
4/22/2011, 10:59 AM
i dunno, they make good whisky there.

My Opinion Matters
4/22/2011, 11:01 AM
So, Aldebaran's gay?

C&CDean
4/22/2011, 11:07 AM
Where did anybody say Aldebaran takes it in the pooper?

StoopTroup
4/22/2011, 11:09 AM

I don't think it even needs to be said.

Some things are obvious.

My Opinion Matters
4/22/2011, 11:09 AM
That's the only conclusion to be drawn from 3G posting this. It's what they do.

C&CDean
4/22/2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, they.

My Opinion Matters
Yeah, they.

No. They.

olevetonahill
So, Aldebaran's gay?

So a Chick takin it in the pooper makes em Gay?:confused:

StoopTroup
4/22/2011, 11:11 AM
What rhymes with they?

My Opinion Matters
4/22/2011, 11:11 AM

That ain't a chick, man.

StoopTroup
4/22/2011, 11:12 AM

if it's it another chic with a strap on.....

Yes. :D

olevetonahill
4/22/2011, 11:13 AM
That ain't a chick, man.

Posts like a chick.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
4/22/2011, 11:14 AM
if it's it another chic with a strap on.....

Yes. :D

Dint think that made em the ghey just thot it made em fun to watch

3rdgensooner
4/22/2011, 11:15 AM
That's the only conclusion to be drawn from 3G posting this. It's what they do.Excellence in posting.

So a Chick takin it in the pooper makes em Gay?:confused:Do lesbians like the buttsecks?

What rhymes with they?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhs2uidlTz1qe1ftso1_500.png

My Opinion Matters
4/22/2011, 11:17 AM
Posts like a chick.:rolleyes:

Not gonna lie. At one time that woulda been good enough for me.

My Opinion Matters
4/22/2011, 11:20 AM
Excellence in posting.

Do lesbians like the buttsecks?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhs2uidlTz1qe1ftso1_500.png

More suggestive poses of men wearing tights, plz.

Soonerwake
4/22/2011, 01:14 PM
Penwell said the church's move is in line with "the teachings of Jesus that focus on the necessity of embracing the powerless, giving voice to the voiceless."

Methinks the pastor missed the point of sin being WRONG.. But, what do I know.. :confused:

soonercruiser
4/22/2011, 10:15 PM
This is the second thread today that presents something happening IN KENTUCKY as something normal, or to be evaluated politically, morally, or economically. Duh! :rolleyes:

Now, I was raised in WV; and even I know better!

When I lived in Dayton, Ohion, there was a joke we used when a staranger asked for directions.
We started by saying you can always tell what direction SOUTH was....just watch which direction all the garbage trucks are going!
:D

87sooner
4/22/2011, 10:22 PM
wow....60 members...
this is HUGE news...

Ctina
4/23/2011, 05:29 AM
Good for them. My marriage is in no way threatened by gay marriage. Rednecks and hillbillies, however, scare the bejeesus out of me.

picasso
4/23/2011, 07:19 AM
Rednecks and hillbillies, however, scare the bejeesus out of me.

Then you need to grow a nutsack. Our country is chock full of 'em. They even have them in Maryland.

MR2-Sooner86
4/23/2011, 08:23 AM
http://media.gallup.com/POLL/Releases/pr070816i.gif

http://www.marriageequality.org/images/poll2.gif

:pop:

olevetonahill
4/23/2011, 09:23 AM
Good for them. My marriage is in no way threatened by gay marriage. Rednecks and hillbillies, however, scare the bejeesus out of me.

Heh so yer skeered of ME huh? :D

Skysooner
4/23/2011, 10:43 AM
What was interesting was this was a Disciples of Christ church. Progressive but not really that progressive.

Ctina
4/24/2011, 04:20 AM
Heh so yer skeered of ME huh? :D

Little bit.

olevetonahill
4/24/2011, 07:55 AM
Little bit.

I aint bit no one in a long time ;)