PDA

View Full Version : "We've got some dysfunctional family members..."

northspeter
4/22/2011, 09:45 AM
quote from coach Golloway this morning on the animal.... not a good sign...

oudavid1
4/22/2011, 09:46 AM
I heard there is one player that is really causing problems.

I went to high school with one of the biggest most unreasonable morons you could ever imagine. Sonny gave him a scholarship and he was kicked off for the year for apparently Roid use. I dont think he is the type to hold a grudge, but i really dont know. Let me know what you find.

yankee
4/22/2011, 09:56 AM

I went to high school with one of the biggest most unreasonable morons you could ever imagine. Sonny gave him a scholarship and he was kicked off for the year for apparently Roid use. I dont think he is the type to hold a grudge, but i really dont know. Let me know what you find.

Uh, if he's kicked off the team then how would he be considered part of the "family"?

nativesooner
4/22/2011, 10:23 AM
Ogle also said that before Coach G. Said that OU's biggest problem is chemistry. Coach G said that some guys feel entitled all of the sudden. :(

northspeter
4/22/2011, 10:28 AM
Uh, if he's kicked off the team then how would he be considered part of the "family"?

im guessing david's source is someone who was kicked off the team...

northspeter
4/22/2011, 10:45 AM
more Golloway quotes from the interview...

"The rest of the club is sitting there giving a feel of hoping there's a little failure because they want to get on the yard."

"It has become about individuals. It has become about entitlement. I couldn't be more disappointed."

"I've never come out on a broadcast and said it as bluntly as it is. To have Tyler Ogle say it, it's the biggest problem we have."

Boomer.....
4/22/2011, 10:59 AM
There's obviously something wrong.

oudavid1
4/22/2011, 11:01 AM

He is suspended for the year. still on the roster though.

im guessing david's source is someone who was kicked off the team...

He is not a source lol.

Boomer.....
4/22/2011, 11:05 AM
That's why there was no Tweet.

northspeter
4/22/2011, 11:07 AM
He is suspended for the year. still on the roster though.

He is not a source lol.

so you know someone suspended for the year... and you know him to be a ******... but you don't know if that's related to the locker room problems Sunny is referring to...

Boomer.....
4/22/2011, 11:09 AM
Here is the interview:

http://www.thesportsanimal.com/getpodcast.aspx?sid=23316&lid=6779&id=2168083&source=2&url=http://podcasting.fia.net/6779/4720344.mp3

oudavid1
4/22/2011, 11:19 AM
so you know someone suspended for the year... and you know him to be a ******... but you don't know if that's related to the locker room problems Sunny is referring to...

Yes. But i dont KNOW its him. and he dosnt really fit that type of person. He is more careless than anything. I feel like he wouldnt hold a grudge.

racinsooner
4/22/2011, 11:43 AM

Totally unrelated but where did you go to highschool? :D

oudavid1
4/22/2011, 11:46 AM
Totally unrelated but where did you go to highschool? :D

haha i dont want to bad mouth a guy (even though i honestly think he is a huge tool and i strongly dislike him) unless i know for sure. If it is true ill let you guys know.

yankee
4/22/2011, 11:50 AM
"I don't think anybody could have been a psychologist to this team," said Golloway. "I can tell you right now, we have a player, in my mind, that is so blessed to be a part of our program. I mean blessed. He would not, could not start for any really good program in the country and this person has created negative havoc because he should be starting in our lineup because we've failed so poorly at second base.

Hmmmm

bcolston15
4/22/2011, 01:28 PM
First of all, this "dysfunctionality" discussed is not much different than what every team goes through. Every team has guys that think they should be playing. Maybe a couple in our clubhouse are a little more vocal.

Bottom line is, this is a last-ditched effort to bring the squad together together to start a late season push. The line in the sand is drawn. You're either coming, or you aren't. But let's be clear, there are not any massive chemistry issues that have caused us to play average baseball.

I hope it works.

And if you don't know who the dissenter(s) are, you aren't thinking hard enough.

soonermike53
4/22/2011, 02:30 PM
Looks like I missed all the fun this morning. I don't know who the individuals are or really care for that matter. All I want is for this team to get better. If that means Ogle and Sunny coming out and speaking like that, I am all for it.

We all know this team is/can be better than what they are right now. I just hope it is not too late. As for the players who are causing the "so-called" chemistry issues, grow up. Everyone plays their part in getting into Omaha.

Nonetheless, I will be really interested to see how the team comes out tonight.

catch106
4/22/2011, 04:01 PM
Hmm, Casey Coyle hasnt played this year

oudavid1
4/22/2011, 05:25 PM
Hmm, Casey Coyle hasnt played this year

COUGH COUGH COUGH!!!!

catch106
4/22/2011, 05:26 PM
Its difficult not to find out since your facebook shows where you graduated hs

soonertravis
4/23/2011, 09:04 PM
Have heard Cale Ellis is disgruntled, but that is pure speculation based on position.

Collier11
4/23/2011, 09:46 PM
I dont get it, if someone is acting entitled and causing issues, kick his arse off the team

oudavid1
4/23/2011, 10:21 PM
Its difficult not to find out since your facebook shows where you graduated hs

But like i said, i dont think its him. But i can see a motive.

yankee
4/24/2011, 01:03 AM
I dont get it, if someone is acting entitled and causing issues, kick his arse off the team

Exactly. I don't get Sunny's reasoning on not kicking a player off the team because everyone will know it's him.

bufsa
4/24/2011, 10:08 AM
If he is smart enough not to say things around SG or at practice it is probably hard to pull a scholarship mid-season.

takingastand
4/26/2011, 10:29 AM
Yes, and those dysfunctional family members would start with the head of the family. He has put the blame on individual players and caused dissention among many of the key players. I have also noticed he often contradicts himself in interviews.

You have to wonder if you have the SAME starters, except one, that played in the CWS last year and yet, the playing is not what we know it SHOULD be, is it the players or the coaching? Shouldn't a GOOD coach share in some of the responsibility? It seems to me that perhaps this coach is in over his head and not qualified to coach a team of this talent. He has lost sight of his priorities and it shows when he constantly changes the starting line-up and is airing "the dirty laundry" of his team/family. Perhaps, coach, it's time to put aside arrogance and focusing only on who or what will get you publicity and instead focus on working with your ENTIRE team, building confidence, and instilling an esprit de corps.

IndySooner
4/26/2011, 10:36 AM
Yes, and those dysfunctional family members would start with the head of the family. He has put the blame on individual players and caused dissention among many of the key players. I have also noticed he often contradicts himself in interviews.

You have to wonder if you have the SAME starters, except one, that played in the CWS last year and yet, the playing is not what we know it SHOULD be, is it the players or the coaching? Shouldn't a GOOD coach share in some of the responsibility? It seems to me that perhaps this coach is in over his head and not qualified to coach a team of this talent. He has lost sight of his priorities and it shows when he constantly changes the starting line-up and is airing "the dirty laundry" of his team/family. Perhaps, coach, it's time to put aside arrogance and focusing only on who or what will get you publicity and instead focus on working with your ENTIRE team, building confidence, and instilling an esprit de corps.

:pop:

And so it begins! I kind of missed the anti-Sunny crowd for the last year or so.

rysooner
4/26/2011, 11:01 AM

Since it is your first post......welcome, disgruntled player. Indy, pass the popcorn :pop:

TumbleweedDoom
4/26/2011, 11:22 AM
Oooh, this is always good. I wonder if this guy is actually related to a former disgruntled player, is one himself, or just lives vicariously through others' disgruntled-ness?

Is there way he could become re-gruntled? Has anyone just been gruntled? How do you actually become disgruntled unless you were gruntled before? So, if you're gruntled, does that mean you're happy?

Maybe takingastand can answer all these questions for me.

bcolston15
4/26/2011, 11:23 AM

Of course, the same coach, and the same players went to the CWS last year. Who gets the credit for that?

But, you know, I tend to agree with that SG isn't a good frontrunner. The one thing this team doesn't have that it did last season? A giant chip on their shoulder. That's what all of SG's best teams have. That's why all the drama was stirred up last week. To create some attitude. So far, so good.

I thought Cale Ellis played some inspired baseball all weekend...Now, maybe he was the someone Golloway was referring to, and maybe he wasn't. Doesn't matter really, it fired Cale up enough to get 3 hits in a game and lay down a couple excellent sacrifice bunts.

IndySooner
4/26/2011, 11:48 AM
I don't like the way Sunny coaches in the media. I also don't like the way the team has handled the expectations that they talked so much about at the beginning of the season.

That said, to bash Sunny at this point is laughable if you weren't here to praise the job he did at the end of last year, the year before, etc. We're just now getting to the time of the year where Sunny's teams have thrived. We'll see how this one turns it around.

Also, really good points about Ellis, Colston. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

jadubya
4/26/2011, 12:52 PM
You have to wonder if you have the SAME starters, except one, that played in the CWS last year and yet, the playing is not what we know it SHOULD be, is it the players or the coaching? Shouldn't a GOOD coach share in some of the responsibility? It seems to me that perhaps this coach is in over his head and not qualified to coach a team of this talent. .

Rysooner nailed this one. Let me see if I have it straight:

1. Last year was "all about the players"....the talent carried them to Omaha.
2. Same players...but this year it is all about the poor coaching.

I would point out that apparently none of these players have ever been well coached....since I have seen more missed bunts, dropped tags, & dropped fly balls out of this group than I should ever see from such TALENT.

A good coach should absolutely share in some of the responsibility....and SG is not perfect. As a matter of fact, I think...at times....SG may do a little paralysis by over-analysis trying to tinker/find the perfect righty/lefty matchup etc. I would have never taken out Eisenberg in Gm 1 of the OSU series.....BUT that NEVER excuses Ellison for the dropped ball.....NOR does it excuse Max for the drop against Clemson in the CWS last year.

The line up gets shuffled because players who got the job done last year ain't getting it done this year. Are you really saying we are "coaching" our way into ways to LOSE close games against Mizzou, KState, & ASU. Coaching our way into choking our guts out against OSU and gifting them 2 conference wins?

Maybe....just maybe....this team isn't nearly as talented as you think. Somebody must have gotten them to believe last year......but certainly not a head coach that is in "over his head". A team as talented as you describe doesn't figure out ways to choke off at least 7 close games this year.

Change your screen name to: Selective Memory

PS --

That ONE player that is missing, DBlack, was an absolute defensive stud at second base. If not for that ONE player making a game saving highlight reel line drive catch against ORU in the regional.....this TALENTED group would have never seen Omaha.

takingastand
4/26/2011, 02:46 PM
Absolutely agree that the players, too, have to take responsibility. Obviously, there is definitely some work that needs to be done by the players, BUT they are human and will make errors. I would never go so far to start singling out players as I don't believe it is ONE player that causes a win or loss. It is a TEAM sport so win as a team and lose as a team, but I do believe that "the speed of the leader is the speed of the gang". It MOST certainly does begin with leadership. It is just my opinion that coaches must first evaluate and improve areas in coaching. My concern is that this coach has PUBLICLY criticized individual players. Players are human and will make mistakes and, as a coach, he should address it and work on improving those areas after all, HE IS THE COACH and the one paid for his job. If those players aren’t willing to step up, practice more, and make the needed changes, then put them on the bench. There were speculations on what player the coach referred to in his rant on the sports animal and it was “disgruntled” player. Some even wanted to know why these players that felt entitled and were causing issues weren’t kicked off the team. I just hate to see the public jumping on the coach’s bandwagon and throwing college kids that still have a lot to learn, under the bus.

So, Jadubya:
1. I don’t believe I ever stated that.
2. Never said that either. I have noticed coaching issues with this coach before, BUT chose not to say anything until he publicly criticized players that are NOT professional, but are students.
3. Missed bunts COULD be when a coach has players bunting that are not typically bunters and haven’t been practicing bunts…saw that happen at OU/OSU game that cost 2 outs. Dropped fly balls COULD be when someone comes of the bench cold or a MISTAKE the player regrets. I have never played ball at this level, but even a recreational athlete would know how horrible you would feel after a HUGE PUBLIC mistake. There were errors in the last game, BUT as a team they worked together and overcame that error. Errors happen.
4. Yes, I do say that coaching had an impact on the losses you mentioned.
5. So, I don’t have selective memory, but none of us REALLY knows the whole story. I am just embarrassed, as a Sooner fan, that the coach has made some of his public quotes.

PS: So, you are saying ONE player got this team to the CWS last year?

jadubya
4/26/2011, 03:51 PM
Absolutely agree that the players, too, have to take responsibility. Obviously, there is definitely some work that needs to be done by the players, BUT they are human and will make errors. I would never go so far to start singling out players as I don't believe it is ONE player that causes a win or loss. It is a TEAM sport so win as a team and lose as a team, but I do believe that "the speed of the leader is the speed of the gang". It MOST certainly does begin with leadership. It is just my opinion that coaches must first evaluate and improve areas in coaching. My concern is that this coach has PUBLICLY criticized individual players. Players are human and will make mistakes and, as a coach, he should address it and work on improving those areas after all, HE IS THE COACH and the one paid for his job. If those players aren’t willing to step up, practice more, and make the needed changes, then put them on the bench. There were speculations on what player the coach referred to in his rant on the sports animal and it was “disgruntled” player. Some even wanted to know why these players that felt entitled and were causing issues weren’t kicked off the team. I just hate to see the public jumping on the coach’s bandwagon and throwing college kids that still have a lot to learn, under the bus.

So, Jadubya:
2. Never said that either. I have noticed coaching issues with this coach before, BUT chose not to say anything until he publicly criticized players that are NOT professional, but are students.
3. Missed bunts COULD be when a coach has players bunting that are not typically bunters and haven’t been practicing bunts…saw that happen at OU/OSU game that cost 2 outs. Dropped fly balls COULD be when someone comes of the bench cold or a MISTAKE the player regrets. I have never played ball at this level, but even a recreational athlete would know how horrible you would feel after a HUGE PUBLIC mistake. There were errors in the last game, BUT as a team they worked together and overcame that error. Errors happen.
5. So, I don’t have selective memory, but none of us REALLY knows the whole story. I am just embarrassed, as a Sooner fan, that the coach has made some of his public quotes.

Momentum says "hi". Baseball is, indeed, a team game. Baseball is also a sport that is more beholden to momentum than any other team sport..in my opinion. As far as SG public comments, I haven't heard them....but it is my understanding that no player was addressed by name. Was it the best tactic? Debatable...at best.....but hey, coaches "are human and will make errors". (your words)

I believe that you have seen this staff put some folks on the bench....perhaps not as soon as all of us armchair qb's would like....but I am left scratching my head as to your inference that "shuffling the lineup" is a sign of bad coaching (first post)....and then you call for the staff to evaluate those who "aren’t willing to step up, practice more, and make the needed changes, then put them on the bench." in your second post. Which is it?

Are you suggesting that our coaches haven't worked on bunting or fly-balls with this group ad nauseum? Or...are you suggesting that this one year from Omaha group is not talented enough to execute fundamental baseball 101? Which is it?

You should worry less about SG contradicting himself in interviews and concentrate on not contradicting yourself in forum posts.

I don't think anybody has thrown our players "under the bus"...they have been playing like crap in some crucial situations that have cost the team several wins. It has NOTHING to do with coaching and everything to do with the talent/players executing what they have been taught. Pretty simple stuff. I love this team...but they are D1 friggin baseball players....not everybody gets a juicebox at the end of the game. Individual players are expected to perform in order to help the team. When you screw up on this stage, people notice it.....that is how life works.

No need to back track from your original post....you absolutely questioned HOW a coaching staff could not get the same results as last year with comparable talent and wondered if this coach was in "over his head" with this talent level. Don't try to tip toe through the semantics, ace....all of the folks on the baseball board can read/write/semi-spellcheck.

Based on what I have seen thus far, I will give you a pass on your pinpoint analysis regarding coaching decisions that played a role in the ASU, Mizzou, KState, OSU, UALR, & DB losses. :confused:

jadubya
4/26/2011, 03:57 PM
RE: Normal Regional 2010: DBlack....that one play....made by that young man...at the right time...absolutely got momentum rolling for us in the post season. We were locked in a dogfight in that game with our backs against the wall. If he does NOT make that play....we lose that game and probably don't advance out of our own regional for the second year in a row.

Historical example: Arky vs Wash State - Norman regional 2009. Arky right field makes the play of his life to keep WSU from exploding with the bases loaded....lights a fire under hawg team/nation.....they go on a friggin terror and violate us on our home field en route to a CWS run. Sound familiar?

IndySooner
4/26/2011, 04:46 PM

So, Jadubya:

EVERY player should be able to get a bunt down in certain situations. That's what's expected at this level. Fundamentals have certainly been lacking this year and I think there's plenty of blame to go around.

Sure, coaching has some blame, but to go on a rant (in your first post I might add) about the head coach being "in over his head" after he led this team to Omaha less than a year ago is more than laughable.

bri
4/26/2011, 05:44 PM
Jeff Capel gives this thread five stars.

StoopTroup
4/26/2011, 05:57 PM
JEFF WHO?

takingastand
4/27/2011, 08:34 AM
Would agree fundamentals are lacking. My "rant" was brought on after two "rants" from the coach. Just don't think this coach has the "polish" he needs when the pressure is mounting. So, not back tracking, Jadubya. I would be the first to say some players have screwed up...sure the ones that have would tell you the same thing, but to say "It has NOTHING to do with coaching and everything to do with the talent/players executing what they have been taught," is ridiculous. Any family that is dysfunctional has to start with the head of the family and work down to fix the problem. This coach has named specific players as the "problem" when, in my opinion, it wasn't just a 2-3 that were the cause...that would have been an easy fix.

C&CDean
4/27/2011, 09:33 AM
My advice? Come on the board with less vitriol. Starting out with "fire Suoonny!!1!" horse**** ain't gonna get you very far.

Anybody who has watched this team this year has seen the dysfunctionality of this team. Errors up the *** (I suppose Sunny coaches them to overthrow or drop fly balls or boot grounders?). ****-poor hitting in clutch situations (I'm sure Sunny coaches them to strikeout on 4 pitches with runners on 2nd and 3rd with only 1 out). I think Sunny's little outburst last week is going to pay huge dividends. I think it already has. I'd hold off on the Sunny hate for a while.

bcolston15
4/27/2011, 09:33 AM
Would agree fundamentals are lacking. My "rant" was brought on after two "rants" from the coach. Just don't think this coach has the "polish" he needs when the pressure is mounting. So, not back tracking, Jadubya. I would be the first to say some players have screwed up...sure the ones that have would tell you the same thing, but to say "It has NOTHING to do with coaching and everything to do with the talent/players executing what they have been taught," is ridiculous. Any family that is dysfunctional has to start with the head of the family and work down to fix the problem. This coach has named specific players as the "problem" when, in my opinion, it wasn't just a 2-3 that were the cause...that would have been an easy fix.

Actually, now that we've stopped trying to relive 2010 over again with Max White, Chris Ellison and Cody Reine in the outfield, we're doing much better. Because, quite frankly, those guys had sucked all year. All by themselves, no coaching involved. Taking them out of the lineup however, did involve coaching.

jadubya
4/27/2011, 09:55 AM
"It has NOTHING to do with coaching and everything to do with the talent/players executing what they have been taught," is ridiculous. Any family that is dysfunctional has to start with the head of the family and work down to fix the problem.

I will stand by that statement all day long related the specific games in question. At some point, just as in your exceptionally flawed family example....little Johnny is accountable for his actions on the ballfield and in real life.

I could care less if you LIKE SG or not....I, along with majority of the board that has responded to you, don't think that your position is valid. Your certainly entitled to your opinion....regardless of how bass-ackward it is.

BColston nailed it....the only gripe that I have with SG is that he stuck with the 2010 outfield posse toooo long......our CWS outfield has stunk it up all year long. That ain't coaching, sunshine....it is lack of execution.

takingastand
4/27/2011, 10:17 AM
Then, we can agree to disagree and I am not looking for support on my opinions. There are always two sides to every story and we may have different information to base our opinions on....

IndySooner
4/27/2011, 10:32 AM
Then, we can agree to disagree and I am not looking for support on my opinions. There are always two sides to every story and we may have different information to base our opinions on....

So, you're "connected"? Just FYI, most of us on this board are connected, too. We talk to people. We know people. We know it's not all sunshine and roses and we know that Sunny rubs MANY people the wrong way. We know that he pisses off recruits and players and parents. We know that all happens. I have news for you, though. We have at least three players on the roster who are here because coaches at other schools did the same thing to them. At some point, you have to think that maybe these coaches aren't such jerks but the players need to toughen up a bit, don't you?

I don't like the way Sunny coaches through the radio interviews. It's not my style and I don't think it's good for morale. That said, his success at the end of the seasons speaks for itself. Who am I to judge? In the end, to me, it's not about what these players think or do when they're gone. It's about what they do while they're here. I'm an OU baseball fan. I want this program to succeed. I'd say we're doing a pretty good job of that, even if we didn't handle the over-inflated expectations very well this year.

bcolston15
4/27/2011, 10:43 AM
SG is 123-49 over the last three years and we're talking about this...

takingastand
4/27/2011, 11:31 AM
Agreed, IndySooner. The issues you mentioned are the concerns I have. Do some players need to toughen up? Of course! But, a coach, at this level, is expected to be a little more polished. He is seasoned enough by now that you would hope he would learn through experience. Could he, like the players, make changes to improve? The win last night was great. Yes, players made mistakes, but were able to not let that stop them. Players will continue to have some good games and some bad games...that's just sports. I don't think any of the ones that have been mentioned by name are a lost cause. There was a pitcher last year that was not taken to some out of town games and this year is playing well. Some players may be in a slump, but beating them while there are down is not conducive to anyone. Others have stepped up and are doing well, so let's just applaud them and keep moving forward.

YES!!! I TOTALLY want this program to succeed as much as I want every program at OU to succeed, however, to keep a program successful, public negativity is never a good thing. It just ruffled my feathers when he stated there were dysfunctional members AND all but gave the name of a player he felt was the cause of so much of the problem. In an interview the previous week he flat out stated names. The reader's responses to that article was not favorable.

bcolston15
4/27/2011, 12:10 PM
1. But, a coach, at this level, is expected to be a little more polished. He is seasoned enough by now that you would hope he would learn through experience. Could he, like the players, make changes to improve?

2. There was a pitcher last year that was not taken to some out of town games and this year is playing well. Some players may be in a slump, but beating them while there are down is not conducive to anyone. Others have stepped up and are doing well, so let's just applaud them and keep moving forward.

3.It just ruffled my feathers when he stated there were dysfunctional members AND all but gave the name of a player he felt was the cause of so much of the problem.

1. He has changed. He's relaxed a lot since 2009. And it's made a big difference in the program. Players, not all of them, actually like playing for him. That would've been unheard of in 2007 and 2008. It's no coincidence that Tadlock has had more success on the recruiting trail lately. He doesn't have to swim through nearly as much anti-Sunny BS to sign players. Why do you think the Howard JC pipeline stays open? It's not because guys hate it here...

2. Rocha deserved to be left at home. I'd even argue that was one the reasons why he turned it around. And guys this year have been given every oppurtunity to succeed. No one can make hitters swing at strikes.

3. So the cancerous team member should be allowed to continue his poor behavior without any repercussions? You want everyone to know you're unhappy, fine, the person(s) got their wish. Coaches at all levels challenge players in the media. And I promise, that's the last resort. If you honestly think those the coaching hasn't tried to resolve the issues internally you're nuts. None of it worked.

jadubya
4/27/2011, 12:12 PM
my bad on the double post....

jadubya
4/27/2011, 12:16 PM
Agreed, IndySooner. The issues you mentioned are the concerns I have. Do some players need to toughen up? Of course! But, a coach, at this level, is expected to be a little more polished. He is seasoned enough by now that you would hope he would learn through experience. Could he, like the players, make changes to improve? The win last night was great. Yes, players made mistakes, but were able to not let that stop them. Players will continue to have some good games and some bad games...that's just sports. I don't think any of the ones that have been mentioned by name are a lost cause. There was a pitcher last year that was not taken to some out of town games and this year is playing well. Some players may be in a slump, but beating them while there are down is not conducive to anyone. Others have stepped up and are doing well, so let's just applaud them and keep moving forward.

YES!!! I TOTALLY want this program to succeed as much as I want every program at OU to succeed, however, to keep a program successful, public negativity is never a good thing. It just ruffled my feathers when he stated there were dysfunctional members AND all but gave the name of a player he felt was the cause of so much of the problem. In an interview the previous week he flat out stated names. The reader's responses to that article was not favorable.

So the D1 baseball coach has a certain level of "polish" expectations in your estimation....but the D1 baseball player isn't expected to execute or to have "learned from experience" in game situations (bunts/fly balls/missed signs). :pop:

That pitcher had his head firmly up his rear end last year and has truly figured out how to "pitch" this year. Until the latter part of 2010, that pitcher still wasn't using his head on the mound and the staff was sick of it. As in....not KNOWING what the ball was going to do when it left his hand! The good news? Lubbock isn't a great road trip and he returned to be our ace. Do you think that he felt "beat down" last year? How do you think he would describle that experience relative to this years incredible success? I'll wager that he'll have more positive things to say about the staff than negative.

Since it is public knowledge, please enlighten me as to whom SG stated was a dysfunctional team member and source of the current problems. I certainly have heard him point out particularly poor performances....by name (Ellison)....which everybody and their grandma could see during game 1. Past that -I have yet to hear him publicly name a player as being a source of clubhouse problems. If that is out there, I stand corrected.

As Indy stated....alot of folks on this board have "connections"....and it matters not to me WHERE your info comes from....the point of contention is that you don't seem to use the your info consistently when putting your arguments forward.

takingastand
4/27/2011, 12:51 PM
Once again, we will agree that we don't agree. I stand by my opinion and you stand by yours. I refuse to mention names in any post. This thread has named enough names and some of the inferences could be wrong. My ONLY complaint is the PUBLIC negativity and comments from the coach. Does that mean he does everything wrong? No, he just has areas that need to be improved. I just expect more from D1 coaches. Issues with his players should be handled internally...NEVER a need to take it to the press. Yes, D1 players should be held to a higher standard then other levels. I do agree that players should be held accountable for their actions and have already stated that. Different philosophy, but not attacking your opinion. You are a fan of his and that is fine....I am not. You are not a fan of certain players and there is only one I am not a fan of, but, hopefully, we are BOTH fans of same team. Your point has been made and I respect your opinion.

jadubya
4/27/2011, 05:24 PM
/\ Incorrect on this account....I am a fan of every player on this team. Calling a player out for poor performance/results does not in any way mean that you aren't a fan of that player....or team.

bcolston15
4/27/2011, 05:51 PM
I refuse to mention names in any post. This thread has named enough names and some of the inferences could be wrong

Max White is hitting .145 in conference.
Chris Ellison is hitting .187 in conference.
Cody Reine is hitting .227 in conference.

Names and facts only.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/27/2011, 05:52 PM
If you don't think Rocha staying home from Lubbock last year was anything but good for the guy, you need to discontinue posting on this or any baseball site.

That blurb alone makes your posts irrelevant IMO.

takingastand
4/27/2011, 08:19 PM
I am referring to the inferences made with coach's quote of, " "I don't think anybody could have been a psychologist to this team," said Golloway. "I can tell you right now, we have a player, in my mind, that is so blessed to be a part of our program. I mean blessed. He would not, could not start for any really good program in the country and this person has created negative havoc because he should be starting in our lineup because we've failed so poorly at second base."

Many jumped to conclusions that could be incorrect. I won't even respond to Ardmore Sooner....a little defensive response when you tell someone not to post anymore on a site.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/27/2011, 08:23 PM
Many jumped to conclusions that could be incorrect. I won't even respond to Ardmore Sooner....a little defensive response when you tell someone not to post anymore on a site.

Not defensive. Just stating that your knowledge is extremely lacking if you believe that the Lubbock incident with Rocha didn't flip a switch in him. Some of us talk to the players firsthand, and I'm not going to get into what is said and what isn't.

I will say that those who don't see the inside workings of things see Sonny as a big meanie. Sonny's sole purpose last week was to light a fire under someone. And he did. This team has played out of it's mind since.

takingastand
4/27/2011, 08:42 PM
Some of us talk to the players firsthand, and I'm not going to get into what is said and what isn't.

I will say that those who don't see the inside workings of things see Sonny as a big meanie. .

You know what they say about assumptions.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/27/2011, 08:50 PM
You know what they say about assumptions.

If you would rather hate Coach G more than you would like to consider the facts, then by all means go right ahead.

jadubya
4/27/2011, 09:19 PM
Max White is hitting .145 in conference.
Chris Ellison is hitting .187 in conference.
Cody Reine is hitting .227 in conference.

Names and facts only.

CHECK PLEASE, we are done here.

Wait wait wait wait...gasp....citing those statistics is mean and piling on. Bcolston...as a seasoned poster....we expect much more posting polish from you. Perhaps you are over your head with the talent on this board....as a matter of fact....I think your poor posting is going to have a negative effect on the rest of us....because the gang can only move as fast as the leader. Public perception of your posts are lagging.....and we need to be more concerned about perception instead of performance.

IndySooner
4/28/2011, 08:36 AM

Most of us know for a FACT who he was talking about. Ogle called him out before Sunny did. Sunny didn't want Tyler to bear the burden. Personally, I wish it would have been kept in house, it wasn't, and now the team is playing with more effort and it's visible.

Hell, watching a certain first baseman, who I won't name because I don't want to get anyone's panties in a wad, go after foul balls in Ft. Worth was refreshing. Hadn't seen a lot of fire from him as of late, as evidenced by him getting punched in the chest by a certain shortstop, who will remain nameless, on the mound at The Brick.

takingastand
4/28/2011, 09:40 AM
Wow, Jadubya, I guess as a last resort always fall back on sarcasm. Yes, everyone from the players to the fans knows the stats. The stats of some of the current starters show it is not a great year in batting or fielding for them. I have never indicated that those who are in a slump should be patted on the back and given a cookie. My OPINION is that a good coach works on building not tearing down or apart. Should players be addressed or reprimanded? ABSOLUTELY, but internally. The public can read the stats and make their own conclusions and judgments because stats tell the story. Yes, I realize that sometimes a player's actions off the field can result in trouble (IE: drinking misconduct) that prevents them from playing and those actions are usually made public. The coach made the statement that there are some dysfunctional family members. That was enough said, we don't need to know the specifics. If he is going to use the analogy of a family, then he should respond like he would to his family. Most families don't make public their family drama.

The dissention within the team was evident when what IndySooner mentioned happened. The last thing a team needs is teammates attacking one another. Players need to practice more self-control then that at ANY level. I do not HATE the coach, as mentioned in a post; I simply do not think a coach at a D1 level should act as he did. Pointing fingers and blaming others is immature. It would be like the D1 players who have not performed as well as last doing an interview and blaming someone else for their poor performances.

This coach has shown immaturity in the past and some of the interviews he has done this year has lacked maturity. In MY opinion, it shows a lack of maturity to not at least take your part of the blame when things aren't going well. I have only observed him as an OU coach, so do not know his record at ORU or as a college player...just basing MY opinion on his public interviews. So, I am not a fan of this coach, I am entitled to my opinion.

C&CDean
4/28/2011, 08:28 PM
Wow, Jadubya, I guess as a last resort always fall back on sarcasm. Yes, everyone from the players to the fans knows the stats. The stats of some of the current starters show it is not a great year in batting or fielding for them. I have never indicated that those who are in a slump should be patted on the back and given a cookie. My OPINION is that a good coach works on building not tearing down or apart. Should players be addressed or reprimanded? ABSOLUTELY, but internally. The public can read the stats and make their own conclusions and judgments because stats tell the story. Yes, I realize that sometimes a player's actions off the field can result in trouble (IE: drinking misconduct) that prevents them from playing and those actions are usually made public. The coach made the statement that there are some dysfunctional family members. That was enough said, we don't need to know the specifics. If he is going to use the analogy of a family, then he should respond like he would to his family. Most families don't make public their family drama.

The dissention within the team was evident when what IndySooner mentioned happened. The last thing a team needs is teammates attacking one another. Players need to practice more self-control then that at ANY level. I do not HATE the coach, as mentioned in a post; I simply do not think a coach at a D1 level should act as he did. Pointing fingers and blaming others is immature. It would be like the D1 players who have not performed as well as last doing an interview and blaming someone else for their poor performances.

This coach has shown immaturity in the past and some of the interviews he has done this year has lacked maturity. In MY opinion, it shows a lack of maturity to not at least take your part of the blame when things aren't going well. I have only observed him as an OU coach, so do not know his record at ORU or as a college player...just basing MY opinion on his public interviews. So, I am not a fan of this coach, I am entitled to my opinion.

I almost read every word...not.

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. No, you're not even anywhere close.

Please, watch at least a game or two of OU baseball (that's the team in Norman just for a hint) then pop off. Until then, kindly STFU. Geez. Where do we get these guys?

takingastand
4/28/2011, 09:01 PM
Oh, but I have watched or listened to just about every game for years.

C&CDean
4/28/2011, 09:15 PM
Oh, but I have watched or listened to just about every game for years.

Sure you have. Sure you have.

Do you sit in Section 109 during football season? That's the spherical ball with stripes near each end.

Gaius_Longinus
4/28/2011, 11:17 PM

Even though we have the 3rd best team batting average in the nation, why dont you check your stats before you talk