PDA

View Full Version : My Tea Party Neighbors

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 08:53 AM
Two doors down, across a cul de sac, live a strange couple who fly (or used to) a Don't Tread on Me flag right below their American flag. Their cars are full of Tea Party bumper stickers so it is safe to conclude they are followers. Now I am not trying to say most or all Tea Partiers are like this couple, but these two sure seem to fit the stereotype. They are a middle-age white couple, both extremely obese and the guy looks like a slob. The nice older couple (conservative folks who drive Caddys) next to me knows them and find them strange. This is an upper middle-class neighborhood with lots of older, retired folks who have beautiful lawns and landscaping, but this couple's lawn is not in good shape. In fact, the guy mows it as short as possible (probably because it gives him more time between mows), which means lots of clippings, and the street is littered with his clippings which he does not clean up. Over time, the grass clippings just turn brown on the street and blow away. The couple apparently does not know how to trim their shrubs. The nice older lady had to go over and tell them how to do it. Most folks along this street know each other, but the Tea Party couple remains strangers, an enigma to most, even my sweet neighbors next door. Since the SO has become so political in recent years, I just thought I would share. Cheers!

jk the sooner fan
4/22/2011, 08:57 AM
oh my god - not only are tea partiers racists - they're poor landscapers too!

OutlandTrophy
4/22/2011, 08:58 AM
and obese!

mgsooner
4/22/2011, 09:02 AM
Cool story bro

ByrnHoustonsSweatyPalms
4/22/2011, 09:10 AM
I know how to trim my shrubs, I just don't want to.

REDREX
4/22/2011, 09:12 AM
That story makes me want to become a Liberal

SoCaliSooner
4/22/2011, 09:13 AM
I have some beliefs that are in line with the tea party movement but my yards are meticulously maintained and my landscaping is top notch.

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 09:36 AM
Remember, not all Tea Partiers are obese slobs who can't maintain their yards or socialize normally with other human beings. Only some of them like my neighbors fit this bill. This is a critical distinction.

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 09:37 AM
I have some beliefs that are in line with the tea party movement but my yards are meticulously maintained and my landscaping is top notch.

Glad to hear it! So how's the waistline and hygiene?

SoCaliSooner
4/22/2011, 09:41 AM
Glad to hear it! So how's the waistline and hygiene?

Good and wife knows if she balloons past a size 2 then I get a freebie.

jumperstop
4/22/2011, 09:46 AM
This is why I don't want to live in a neighborhood....****ing nosy neighbors need to mind their own ****ing business. I mean they should keep their yard respectable, but to go and tell them to trim their bushes. I would tell that bitch to **** off.

AlboSooner
4/22/2011, 09:49 AM
Tea Party people may not get all Mexciany on their lawn, but they befriend the paragraph when they post online.

C&CDean
4/22/2011, 09:51 AM
Tea Party people may be get all Mexciany on their lawn, but they befriend the paragraph when they post online.

English, por favor.

OhU1
4/22/2011, 10:02 AM
Two doors down, across a cul de sac, live a strange couple who fly (or used to) a Don't Tread on Me flag right below their American flag. Their cars are full of Tea Party bumper stickers so it is safe to conclude they are followers. Now I am not trying to say most or all Tea Partiers are like this couple, but these two sure seem to fit the stereotype. They are a middle-age white couple, both extremely obese and the guy looks like a slob. The nice older couple (conservative folks who drive Caddys) next to me knows them and find them strange. This is an upper middle-class neighborhood with lots of older, retired folks who have beautiful lawns and landscaping, but this couple's lawn is not in good shape. In fact, the guy mows it as short as possible (probably because it gives him more time between mows), which means lots of clippings, and the street is littered with his clippings which he does not clean up. Over time, the grass clippings just turn brown on the street and blow away. The couple apparently does not know how to trim their shrubs. The nice older lady had to go over and tell them how to do it. Most folks along this street know each other, but the Tea Party couple remains strangers, an enigma to most, even my sweet neighbors next door. Since the SO has become so political in recent years, I just thought I would share. Cheers!

I would lay you odds that these Tea Party neighbors subsist off government income: V.A., Social Security disability, SSI, or at best a military retirement check (but most military retirement folk I know actually continue to work and don't "retire" at age 38).

My Opinion Matters
4/22/2011, 10:03 AM
Remember, not all Tea Partiers are obese slobs who can't maintain their yards or socialize normally with other human beings. Only some of them like my neighbors fit this bill. This is a critical distinction.

Glad you're around to explain these things.

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 10:04 AM
Two doors down, across a cul de sac, live a strange couple who fly (or used to) a Don't Tread on Me flag right below their American flag. Their cars are full of Tea Party bumper stickers so it is safe to conclude they are followers. Now I am not trying to say most or all Tea Partiers are like this couple..

Then what exactly is your point?

Wishboned
4/22/2011, 10:06 AM
So the conservative lady had an interest in teaching the woman next door how to trim her bush?

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 10:07 AM
I would lay you odds that these Tea Party neighbors subsist off government income: V.A., Social Security disability, SSI, or at best a military retirement check (but most military retirement folk I know actually continue to work and don't "retire" at age 38).

OhU1, therein lies a huge irony. Here in Kentucky, the Tea Party gets big support, especially in Eastern Kentucky. Yet, a large percentage of them live off of government handouts - disability, welfare, SSI, etc., often many generations in one family. It's as big of a problem in the mountains as it is in any inner city, yet these folks want government off their backs. Go figure.

Jammin'
4/22/2011, 10:08 AM

So Dodger fans are good for something.

OhU1
4/22/2011, 10:10 AM
OhU1, therein lies a huge irony. Here in Kentucky, the Tea Party gets big support, especially in Eastern Kentucky. Yet, a large percentage of them live off of government handouts - disability, welfare, SSI, etc., often many generations in one family. It's as big of a problem in the mountains as it is in any inner city, yet these folks want government off their backs. Go figure.

If the government would get off their back by legalizing moonshine, weed, meth, and oxycotin they could support themselves and be self sufficient once again.

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 10:11 AM
Then what exactly is your point?

This true story is meant to be anecdotal. You can draw whatever conclusions you wish from it, or get all huffy.

SoCaliSooner
4/22/2011, 10:11 AM
So Dodger fans are good for something.

Easy now. Gated communities frown on them and I have a C-27 contractors license. The only brown person working on my place is my tanned and glistening body earning pool time.

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 10:12 AM

You pay into SSI, so receiving SSI is perfectly okay in my book. I'm not sure how many of the Tea Partiers receive welfare, but I imagine the numbers are pretty low.

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 10:14 AM
You pay into SSI, so receiving SSI is perfectly okay in my book. I'm not sure how many of the Tea Partiers receive welfare, but I imagine the numbers are pretty low.

Uh, I can't speak for the entire country, but you've never been to Eastern Kentucky, have you?

saucysoonergal
4/22/2011, 10:15 AM
I have similar neighbors except not tea partiers, they only similarity I see is the "Lard Factor". If they don't care enough about their own bodies, HITH are the going to care about their lawns?

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 10:19 AM
This true story is meant to be anecdotal. You can draw whatever conclusions you wish from it, or get all huffy.

Why do people say "I don't mean to..." when they really do?

"I don't mean to brag" means "I'm now going to brag."

"I don't mean to change the subject" means "I will now change the subject."

If you're going to stereotype, just do it. This is SF. We do it all the time. There is no need to place a disclaimer at the beginning, because the disclaimer is completely disingenuous.

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 10:20 AM
Uh, I can't speak for the entire country, but you've never been to Eastern Kentucky, have you?

Yes I have, but unlike you I have never performed statistical studies on the population to uncover the percentage of welfare recipients that are members of the Tea Party.

cccasooner2
4/22/2011, 10:20 AM

Well, I guess that instead of helping them trim their shrubbery they should be informed that the government that has been serving them so well is really their friend. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 10:21 AM
I have similar neighbors except not tea partiers...

That's not possible. If they're overweight, they must be Tea Partiers. Haven't you learned anything from this thread?

Jammin'
4/22/2011, 10:21 AM
Easy now. Gated communities frown on them and I have a C-27 contractors license. The only brown person working on my place is my tanned and glistening body earning pool time.

Is your wife covering for you while you are doing your Heart Lee Dykes impression?

SoCaliSooner
4/22/2011, 10:23 AM
I have similar neighbors except not tea partiers, they only similarity I see is the "Lard Factor". If they don't care enough about their own bodies, HITH are the going to care about their lawns?

Mods, I would like the post noted as "made passionate love to by SoCaliSooner"...

Viking Kitten
4/22/2011, 10:23 AM
I have a niece (early 20s) who is constantly posting Tea Party propaganda on her Facebook page. This is the same niece who gets her daycare paid for by DHS, her children's health insurance provided by SoonerCare, and lived off unemployment last year.

Her lawn looks about like every other lawn in her neighborhood though.

saucysoonergal
4/22/2011, 10:25 AM
Her lawn looks about like every other lawn in her neighborhood though.

You mean trailer park slip right? ;)

Viking Kitten
4/22/2011, 10:28 AM
Duplex... she's too faincy for a trailer park.

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 10:29 AM

Exactly, SSG. One of the downsides of living in such an affluent country is that all of us have enough money for food, even way too much food. In fact, it is often the poorer Americans who are the most obese. I guess that means even our poor are not really that poor by world standards.

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 10:37 AM
Yes I have, but unlike you I have never performed statistical studies on the population to uncover the percentage of welfare recipients that are members of the Tea Party.

Huffy, huffy. It's not exactly scientific, but at work we make a point not to go visit our remote sites in E. Ky. at the beginning of each month because the roads are clogged after the welfare checks arrive, a well-known phenomenon in E. Ky., which is pretty telling about the dependency of the folks on welfare.

Viking Kitten
4/22/2011, 10:40 AM
Exactly, SSG. One of the downsides of living in such an affluent country is that all of us have enough money for food, even way too much food. In fact, it is often the poorer Americans who are the most obese. I guess that means even our poor are not really that poor by world standards.

I would speculate that's one of those unintended consequences of the war on poverty. Poor people used to have to grow gardens to feed themselves, but along came food stamps. Turns out, sugar and fat are very cheap food additives, so the way to stretch your food dollar is to buy the most filling, least nutritious food.

Naturally moving from an agrarian to a more urban society plays a part in that too.

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 10:42 AM
Huffy, huffy. It's not exactly scientific....

Yeah, I bet!

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 10:44 AM
I would speculate that's one of those unintended consequences of the war on poverty. Poor people used to have to grow gardens to feed themselves, but along came food stamps. Turns out, sugar and fat are very cheap food additives, so the way to stretch your food dollar is to buy the most filling, least nutritious food.

The poor are not known for being frugal. Rather, food with high fat and sugar tastes awesome, and when you have no concern for the health of yourself or your kids...

jk the sooner fan
4/22/2011, 10:46 AM
Cool story hansel

FIFY

olevetonahill
4/22/2011, 10:53 AM

Just a FYI Leroid.
SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income
Has nothing to do with Social Security that all WORKERS in the Private sector Pay in to

SoonerProphet
4/22/2011, 11:35 AM

http://reason.com/blog/2011/01/30/rand-on-the-dole

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 11:42 AM
http://reason.com/blog/2011/01/30/rand-on-the-dole

I was referring to people who were, like, alive... ya' know?

And I don't see any mention of welfare in the article.

StoopTroup
4/22/2011, 11:45 AM

I believe he's trying to point out how they all talk out of both sides of their ***.

I know it's extremely difficult for you to notice those things.

I hope this helped.

SoCaliSooner
4/22/2011, 11:47 AM
Well I don't get to receive SS or SSI , but don't pay for it either.

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 11:48 AM
I believe he's trying to point out how they all talk out of both sides of their ***.

Except he referenced my comment:

I'm not sure how many of the Tea Partiers receive welfare, but I imagine the numbers are pretty low.

In other words, FAIL.

SoonerProphet
4/22/2011, 11:48 AM

That is about what kind of reply I thought I'd get.

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 11:49 AM
That is about what kind of reply I thought I'd get.

It's your own fault for not reading the article thoroughly.

SoonerProphet
4/22/2011, 11:51 AM
It's your own fault for not reading the article thoroughly.

it just ain't about welfare you nincompoop, it is about who is on the government dole.

StoopTroup
4/22/2011, 11:53 AM
Except he referenced my comment:

In other words, FAIL.

Fail?

Ann is the person they look up to....that and the quitter Palin.

There is no fail. Even Palin says she has family on the dole.

olevetonahill
4/22/2011, 11:53 AM
Jesus Christ peeps
Welfare and SSI are Public Tit
Social Security is what most peeps pay into.

Its NOT a public hand out :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2011, 11:57 AM
it just ain't about welfare you nincompoop, it is about who is on the government dole.

But my quote was specifically about welfare. So get with the program.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/22/2011, 01:40 PM
Two doors down, across a cul de sac, live a strange couple who fly (or used to) a Don't Tread on Me flag right below their American flag. Their cars are full of Tea Party bumper stickers so it is safe to conclude they are followers. Now I am not trying to say most or all Tea Partiers are like this couple, but these two sure seem to fit the stereotype. They are a middle-age white couple, both extremely obese and the guy looks like a slob. The nice older couple (conservative folks who drive Caddys) next to me knows them and find them strange. This is an upper middle-class neighborhood with lots of older, retired folks who have beautiful lawns and landscaping, but this couple's lawn is not in good shape. In fact, the guy mows it as short as possible (probably because it gives him more time between mows), which means lots of clippings, and the street is littered with his clippings which he does not clean up. Over time, the grass clippings just turn brown on the street and blow away. The couple apparently does not know how to trim their shrubs. The nice older lady had to go over and tell them how to do it. Most folks along this street know each other, but the Tea Party couple remains strangers, an enigma to most, even my sweet neighbors next door. Since the SO has become so political in recent years, I just thought I would share. Cheers!This is such a politically astute analysis, Such an in-depth analysis of the motivations of Tea Partiers(er, Baggers), an award of some kind should Shirley be given.

jk the sooner fan
4/22/2011, 01:59 PM
even in Kentucky, Lexington and Pikesville are two different worlds

SoonerNate
4/22/2011, 02:04 PM
I live next door to a couple of black girls who have Obama stickers on their cars. The other day they tried to beat to death a white girl in a McDonalds. Just saying...

SoonerBread
4/22/2011, 02:04 PM

The only correlation I can make is fat and lazy = lack of yard work... right?

I don't think those things are exclusive to Tea Baggers.

"Tea Baggers is bad fer duh countree cuz dey don't mow dey lawn good and dey shrubs is shaggy. And dey leaves deyz clippins for duh wind to blo away."

At least you know how to generalize. http://daphne.palomar.edu/jtagg/overgeneralization.htm That means you are learning. Just don't let yourself overgeneralize. Or maybe you already have...

SoCaliSooner
4/22/2011, 02:18 PM
The only correlation I can make is fat and lazy = lack of yard work... right?

I don't think those things are exclusive to Tea Baggers.

"Tea Baggers is bad fer duh countree cuz dey don't mow dey lawn good and dey shrubs is shaggy. And dey leaves deyz clippins for duh wind to blo away."

At least you know how to generalize. http://daphne.palomar.edu/jtagg/overgeneralization.htm That means you are learning. Just don't let yourself overgeneralize. Or maybe you already have...
Anybody ever seen a section 8 yard? Wanna bet how the section 8, welfare, WIC, free school lunch, SSI, Medicaid/medi-Cal getters vote?

Sooner5030
4/22/2011, 06:19 PM
hey...I know some liberals, conservatives, publicans and democrats that are lazy, fat and receive benefits and have shiaty lawns. As long as the Tea Party is a sample of the general population they are bound to attract some of these people too.

WTF kinda point was the OP trying to make?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/22/2011, 07:27 PM
hey...I know some liberals, conservatives, publicans and democrats that are lazy, fat and receive benefits and have shiaty lawns. As long as the Tea Party is a sample of the general population they are bound to attract some of these people too.

WTF kinda point was the OP trying to make?Character assassination. Conservative = STUPID AND REDNECK, Duh!

Jerk
4/22/2011, 07:30 PM

What is your point? I know a bunch of Democrats who live in a section 8 housing complex near here, and if they're not too busy stealing stereos out of cars in nearby neighborhoods, or knocking up all the teenage white girls, then they are keeping the place 'culturally diverse' by blasting ghetto music so everyone within 2 miles can hear. Thank you HUD, I appreciate it.

Turd_Ferguson
4/22/2011, 07:39 PM
What is your point? I know a bunch of Democrats who live in a section 8 housing complex near here, and if they're not too busy stealing stereos out of cars in nearby neighborhoods, or knocking up all the teenage white girls, then they are keeping the place 'culturally diverse' by blasting ghetto music so everyone within 2 miles can hear. Thank you HUD, I appreciate it.Holy ****! Jerk! Where ya been bro?

olevetonahill
4/22/2011, 07:48 PM
Holy ****! Jerk! Where ya been bro?

Fightin the Good Fight. Pay tention :D

soonercruiser
4/22/2011, 10:01 PM

I know it's extremely difficult for you to notice those things.

I hope this helped.

No, Stoop!
You condescending smart-a** comments don't help ANYBODY!

soonercruiser
4/22/2011, 10:03 PM
This is such a politically astute analysis, Such an in-depth analysis of the motivations of Tea Partiers(er, Baggers), an award of some kind should Shirley be given.

Problem is, Rush, the story sounds like my liberal neighbors.
With all the Hope and Change signs that were on their lawn, we neighbors were hoping for some home improvements too.
:rolleyes:

(But, then again, I thought that liberals didn't like to "profile"!)

MR2-Sooner86
4/23/2011, 09:30 AM

Your IQ would raise significantly if you drank raw sewage.

delhalew
4/23/2011, 10:09 AM
This thread is moronic.

Okieflyer
4/23/2011, 10:14 AM
Welfare, Earned Income credit and such = Progressives buying votes