PDA

View Full Version : Carol Burnette

StoopTroup
4/21/2011, 08:08 PM
on Piers Morgan.

"I was on welfare and didn't know how I was going to go to UCLA. Tuition was $43. One day I got a letter in the mail and it had $50 in it. I still don't know where that came from".

Welfare made good.

StoopTroup
4/21/2011, 08:13 PM
In 1954, during her junior year, a professor invited Burnett and some other students to perform at a black-tie party. A man and his wife approached her afterward, as she was putting hors d'oeuvres in her purse to take home to her grandmother. Instead of reprimanding her, the man complimented Burnett's performance and asked about her future plans. When he discovered that she wanted to go try her luck with musical comedy in New York, but did not have enough money, he offered her and her boyfriend Don Saroyan each a $1000 interest-free loan on the spot. The conditions were that it was to be paid back in five years, his name was never to be revealed, and if she became a success, she would help others attain their dreams. Burnett took him up on his offer. She and Saroyan left college and moved to New York to pursue acting careers

She says she paid him back just like he asked and has continued to help others the way she was helped.

Amazing Woman. 77 years old now.

A Sooner in Texas
4/21/2011, 08:33 PM
Watching it, too...love her, miss her show. This is Piers' best guest, bar none.
Hard not to top the Kardashians and the other idiots he's had on, though.

StoopTroup
4/21/2011, 08:35 PM
Watching it, too...love her, miss her show. This is Piers' best guest, bar none.
Hard not to top the Kardashians and the other idiots he's had on, though.

heh.

I grew up watching her Show and wondered what was wrong with TV when it was gone.

A Sooner in Texas
4/21/2011, 08:39 PM
heh.

I grew up watching her Show and wondered what was wrong with TV when it was gone.

Sometimes I still wonder that. :(

picasso
4/21/2011, 08:57 PM
She lives in Santa Fe and I'm pretty sure she's gone off the new age deep end.

hawaii 5-0
4/21/2011, 09:34 PM
I still use some of her lines when making cracks.

My favorite, when someone asks me to do something I don't wanna.....

"I'd rather smoke duck feet."

5-0

Trump/Stimpy 2012

AlbqSooner
4/22/2011, 05:40 AM
Do you know what the little ear lobe pull was about at the end of her show?

Chuck Bao
4/22/2011, 06:28 AM

I love Carol Burnette. Tell me Albquie.

WA. Sooner
4/22/2011, 06:33 AM
waving to her kids

texaspokieokie
4/22/2011, 07:11 AM
waving to her kids

i thot it was to her Mother.

MamaMia
4/22/2011, 07:25 AM

She was giving a shout out to her grandmother. :D

The Profit
4/22/2011, 08:14 AM
She was giving a shout out to her grandmother. :D

Mama wins the prize. It was to her grandmother, who was the person that actually raised her.

lexsooner
4/22/2011, 08:32 AM
Mama wins the prize. It was to her grandmother, who was the person that actually raised her.

Ooooh, that's a BINGO! Is that how you say it? Her grandmother who raised her used to do the tug of the ear to mean everything was alright. She is an original and you know her talent is immense because her comedy withstands the test of time. Her show is as funny today as it was in the 1970s. The Gone with the Wind spoof is classic. If you ever catch it, the American Masters series on PBS has a show about her.

The Profit
4/22/2011, 08:57 AM
Ooooh, that's a BINGO! Is that how you say it? Her grandmother who raised her used to do the tug of the ear to mean everything was alright. She is an original and you know her talent is immense because her comedy withstands the test of time. Her show is as funny today as it was in the 1970s. The Gone with the Wind spoof is classic. If you ever catch it, the American Masters series on PBS has a show about her.

Yes. The classic line from that skit is: "I saw it hanging in the window."

SoonerNate
4/22/2011, 01:31 PM
I really like Morgan's shows. It is so nice to finally see something that isn't politically motivated on a cable news channel.

A Sooner in Texas
4/22/2011, 01:38 PM
I really like Morgan's shows. It is so nice to finally see something that isn't politically motivated on a cable news channel.

Well, you'll really love tonight's show, then. It's Demi and Ashton. Must have been so good the first time they're having to repeat it.