PDA

View Full Version : OSU Facepalm coach edition

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/21/2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=120513

IMHO, all Gundy has to do this year is beat OU at home and win the conference and he becomes the second best coach in the conference if not the best. Stoops only tops him due to his sustaining that program for longer than I thought possible in this day of scholarship limits. Gundy will pass him in the long haul however and I don't have too much doubt that Oklahoma State is indeed poised to become a powerhouse year in and year out.

rekamrettuB
4/21/2011, 10:32 AM
Notice what comes first...

IMHO, all Gundy has to do this year is beat OU at home and win the conference and he becomes the second best coach in the conference if not the best.

TahoeSOONER
4/21/2011, 10:34 AM
:eek: :gary:

Mississippi Sooner
4/21/2011, 10:36 AM
And once again, the word delusional is redefined.

JLEW1818
4/21/2011, 10:43 AM
lol

agoo758
4/21/2011, 10:48 AM
So THAT'S why they don't sell out their home games. They don't know when they are!! :eek:

deweydw
4/21/2011, 10:52 AM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/64/12064/26011.jpg

NormanPride
4/21/2011, 10:55 AM
Every. Flipping. Time.

badger
4/21/2011, 11:03 AM
All Gundy has to do this year is beat OU at home and win the conference

All Gundy has to do is...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OseurKQG9Ns/SJ8lBOvoViI/AAAAAAAAA64/55tCoMg8b-4/s400/walk+on+water+400x300.jpg

http://etherealwellness.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/turning-water-into-wine.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kTEx_J1pqR4/TTnyonY_gaI/AAAAAAAACnE/-7whHzXRoyM/s1600/Resurrection.jpg

Wait a sec... I'm being a little unrealistic. All of those things have been done before. (Happy Maundy Thursday/Good Friday/Holy Saturday/Easter Sunday!) What they're expecting Gundy to do hasn't been done before.... unless the Pokes are still Oklahoma A&M and their conference is the Missouri Valley, which neither are.

OSU gooner victories in Stillwater:
2002, 1998, 1966, 1932, 1930, 1924

OSU conference titles:
1926, 1930, 1932, 1933, 1944, 1945, 1948, and 1953 in MVC, 1976 in Big 8

So what they are expecting Gundy to do has occured twice, as Oklahoma A&M, in the Missouri Valley Conference... in the years 1930 and 1932.

Well... all Gundy has to do is...
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/c/cher/album-if-i-could-turn-back-time-chers-greatest-hits.jpg
http://03.img.v4.skyrock.net/032/txitxela64250/pics/1444581309_small.jpg

:stunned:

budbarrybob
4/21/2011, 11:03 AM
It is always raining in Stilly. Thats why they always see rainbows. :D

KantoSooner
4/21/2011, 11:07 AM
Now, now, if you consider that, in the multiverse, there are literally unlimited versions of reality, there must be at least one in which OSU is dominant.

Not this one, of course. Never happen. Nope.

LakeRat
4/21/2011, 11:09 AM
Wouldn't he need a MNC to be at the same level as two people with those?

SoonerDood
4/21/2011, 11:36 AM

[hairGel] WEEV ALREDDY GOT 50 OF THOSE! STUPID GOONERS! [hairGel]

bmjlr
4/21/2011, 12:32 PM

Man that picture never gets old! :D

goingoneight
4/21/2011, 12:47 PM
Having confidence that a good coach is going to pass a GREAT coach is a little bit of a stretch to say the least...
how many big time programs and franchises are beating violently on Gundy's door a soon as the conference championships are over EVERY YEAR?

Hot Rod
4/21/2011, 12:53 PM

Or at least get TO a conference championship game when we had them.

DarrellZero
4/21/2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know how to break it to the Aggies that outside of Stillwater, Gundy scares no one.

KantoSooner
4/21/2011, 01:18 PM
Lest we forget:

Mack Brown is 'The Dean Of College Coaches'

according to Bevites.

badger
4/21/2011, 01:18 PM
I don't know how to break it to the Aggies that outside of Stillwater, Gundy scares no one.

Scared Jenni Carlson once:
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/mike-gundy.jpg

On the football field though...

Quik Sand
4/21/2011, 01:33 PM
Gundy has certainly raised that program to another level. Most of us here (myself included) laughed at them predicting 10 and 11 wins last year which they accomplished. Their program is right where I like it. They are recognized nationally with a top 15 ranking when we play them, considered a "quality" win to help boost us, but not a real threat to win anything important.

The Bob Stoops gif demonstrates how I feel exactly. He felt exactly what I said while looking at that book before last years game.

badger
4/21/2011, 01:47 PM
Speaking of the Pokes, remember Hart Lee Dykes? :D

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20110421_231_0_WhenRa422178)

In case you don't:

Dykes was the focus of what the NCAA called a “bidding war” between OSU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Illinois. A Cowboys assistant gave Dykes $5,000 for signing with OSU, and Dykes received cash payments and a sports car from the school during his record-breaking career, according to the NCAA’s report. Dykes cooperated with an NCAA investigation that punished all four schools and led to OSU’s three-year postseason ban.

SoonerLVZ
4/21/2011, 01:49 PM
OSU has improved their program, and Gundy has done a really good job there. But there is no he is one of the top 2 coaches in the conference. Bob > Mack > Snyder>Pinkel>Gundy.. at least that is my view on the pecking order (Bob with 7 Big XII Titles, Mack with his 2, Snyder with his 1, and Pinkel with his 2 appearances.)

Lester started little brother on another level, and Gundy has made them a bowl team year in and year out. But as for him passing Bob Stoops, it's a joke. He would need to win 7 conference titles, a national championship, go to three more national games, AND have heismen trophy winners. It's not going to happen. And that my friends is why OSU's fan base is insane and illogical.

badger
4/21/2011, 01:54 PM
And that my friends is why OSU's fan base is insane and illogical.

I wonder how Hook em feels about :rcmad:'s fanbase :D

To be aggy/aggie is to be little brother/little sister.

Mississippi Sooner
4/21/2011, 01:56 PM
I wonder how Hook em feels about :rcmad:'s fanbase :D

To be aggy/aggie is to be little brother/little sister.

I'm pretty sure you just tried to divide by zero.

rekamrettuB
4/21/2011, 02:04 PM
OSU has improved their program, and Gundy has done a really good job there. But there is no he is one of the top 2 coaches in the conference. Bob > Mack > Snyder>Pinkel>Gundy.. at least that is my view on the pecking order (Bob with 7 Big XII Titles, Mack with his 2, Snyder with his 1, and Pinkel with his 2 appearances.)

Lester started little brother on another level, and Gundy has made them a bowl team year in and year out. But as for him passing Bob Stoops, it's a joke. He would need to win 7 conference titles, a national championship, go to three more national games, AND have heismen trophy winners. It's not going to happen. And that my friends is why OSU's fan base is insane and illogical.

Not a bad pecking order but I think you could say Gundy is number 3. Snider isn't the Snider that won KState's only title. He's now 8 years older and he was no spring chicken back then. Also, Pinkel's 2 appearances should be handicapped by winning some weak North divisions. If Leach were still in the Big XII I would have him over Pinkel and he's never been in a title game.

I wouldn't argue too much about the order. Ultimately it's this:

1. Stoops
2-10 Bunch of wannabes.

badger
4/21/2011, 02:07 PM
I'm pretty sure you just tried to divide by zero.

Oh no, I just found the square root of negative-1, which is the same as aggy football prestige.

Soonerwake
4/21/2011, 02:15 PM
Not a bad pecking order but I think you could say Gundy is number 3. Snider isn't the Snider that won KState's only title. He's now 8 years older and he was no spring chicken back then. Also, Pinkel's 2 appearances should be handicapped by winning some weak North divisions. If Leach were still in the Big XII I would have him over Pinkel and he's never been in a title game.

I wouldn't argue too much about the order. Ultimately it's this:

1. Stoops
2-10 Bunch of wannabes.

I think I would go:

1. Stoops
2. Brown
3-10 Bunch of wannabes.

badger
4/21/2011, 02:18 PM
Can we add more space between #1 and #2? Like this?

1. Stoops

2. Brown
3-10 Bunch of wannabes.

TopDawg
4/21/2011, 02:20 PM
What book is Stoops reading in that pic?

badger
4/21/2011, 02:22 PM
Either an OSU game program or the media guide??? it's from pregame ou-osu last season

rekamrettuB
4/21/2011, 02:25 PM
I think I would go:

1. Stoops
2. Brown
3-10 Bunch of wannabes.

5-7 :D

SoonerMarkVA
4/21/2011, 02:45 PM
Now, now, if you consider that, in the multiverse, there are literally unlimited versions of reality, there must be at least one in which OSU is dominant.

I wouldn't bet on it. :D

Jason Alexander
4/21/2011, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't bet on it. :D
In another universe, you already have bet on it.

texaspokieokie
4/21/2011, 03:22 PM
he "rolled over" on 4 schools & set a record for most schools getting probation. he should be respected for that ???

don't believe pokes got him for a measly 5k. he told that he was offered
@ least 25.

GDC
4/21/2011, 04:13 PM
Wilson, Mike Stoops, Chuck Long, Mangino and Leach are better coaches than Gundy. Imagine what they would accomplish with Uncle T-Bone's billions.

texaspokieokie
4/21/2011, 04:17 PM
how do you figure Mike Stoops is better ??

didn't their teams play ??

toast
4/21/2011, 04:35 PM
Gundy has yet to prove he can put a defense together that can consistently play at a good level.

picasso
4/21/2011, 05:22 PM
Pokes don't understand that we're standing on decades and decades of winning.
You can't just win conference and then you're numba one. They aren't even k-state right now.

Sooner_Tuf
4/21/2011, 05:28 PM
What book is Stoops reading in that pic?

OSU Media Guide. Picture was taken right before Bedam last year. Actually it is from a video of Stoops looking through it and chuckling. :D

badger
4/21/2011, 05:54 PM
OSU Media Guide. Picture was taken right before Bedam last year. Actually it is from a video of Stoops looking through it and chuckling. :D

any speculation on which page he was looking at? here's a link (http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/media-guide-fall10.html) to it.

I'm betting it was this page! :stunned:
http://i56.tinypic.com/1603k9h.png

85sooners
4/21/2011, 06:04 PM
:D

Flying Scotsman
4/21/2011, 07:51 PM
Oh no, I just found the square root of negative-1, which is the same as aggy football prestige.

Cool...Aggie works well with imaginary numbers, too.

picasso
4/21/2011, 08:53 PM
And what makes Gundy a great coach? Didn't Boone force him to hire Dana Holgorsen?
Didn't oSu force Les Miles to hire him as an OC?

Leroy Lizard
4/21/2011, 11:11 PM
Cool...Aggie works well with imaginary numbers, too.

Better yet,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surreal_number

AlboSooner
4/21/2011, 11:24 PM
really? three pages and no one has said it yet?

coach on the rise.

yukonsooner
4/22/2011, 09:00 AM
Easter Sunday is quickly approaching. That means my aggie relatives will be arriving in force dressed in their best Sunday-go-to-meeting orange and black. I will have to listen to this kind of dribble all day long. I no longer try to explain to them about years of winning and tradition, they merely look at me like I'm speaking in a foreign lanuage and keep right on going about how great their aggies and their coach are. But on the bright side, they have to pull into my driveway where an OU flag proudly waves, walk past the garden stone on my porch stating "This is Sooner Country", to the front door that is painted crimson. Then to get to the kitchen they have to walk through the bar area where the walls are covered with Sooner memories, including footballs signed by Sims, Owens, and White. Since I don't have enough seating for everyone that will be here, I then pull out the OU tailgate chairs for them to sit in (you would be surprised how many prefer to stand).

boomermagic
4/22/2011, 09:29 AM

Here's the correct order IMO..

Snyder
Bob
Mack
Pinkel
Gundy

When Snyder was hired at K-State for the first time in 1989, he took over a program that had lost 510 games against only 299 games in 93 years of play—easily the most losses of any team in Division I-A at the time. The school had been to only one bowl game (the 1982 Independence Bowl), had not won a conference title since 1934 and had enjoyed four winning seasons in the previous 44 years (including two in the previous 34 years). The program had also gone winless in 27 consecutive games.

Prior to Snyder's first season in 1989, Sports Illustrated published an article about Kansas State football entitled "Futility U," which labeled the school "America's most hapless team."[3] Snyder won only one game in his first season, beating North Texas State, but it was a significant win because it was the first for the team in three seasons. In Snyder's second season, in 1990, the Wildcats improved to 5–6. The five wins posted by the team had been matched only twice in the prior 17 years at the school, in 1973 (5–6) and 1982 (6–5).

The 1991 season saw another breakthrough, when the Wildcats finished with a winning record of 7–4 and narrowly missed a bowl bid. It was only the second winning season at Kansas State since 1970, and the team's 4–3 conference record was only the third winning conference mark since 1934. Two years later, Snyder led the Wildcats to the school's second bowl game – the 1993 Copper Bowl – and their first bowl win ever. The season also marked the second 9-win season in school history and the team's first ranking in the final top 20 poll. The 1993 bowl game was the first of 11 consecutive bowl games, as Kansas State went to bowl games every season from 1993 to 2003 – one of just seven schools to do so. K-State won six of those bowl games.

During the 1998 season, Kansas State posted an undefeated 11–0 regular season and earned its first ever number 1 ranking in the national polls, just ten years after being named the worst program in the country by Sports Illustrated. In the 2003 season the team won the Big 12 championship – the school's second major
conference title ever. Oklahoma's Barry Switzer once said Snyder's achievements at Kansas State made him the "coach of the century."

Sooner_Tuf
4/22/2011, 09:55 AM
Easter Sunday is quickly approaching. That means my aggie relatives will be arriving in force dressed in their best Sunday-go-to-meeting orange and black. I will have to listen to this kind of dribble all day long. I no longer try to explain to them about years of winning and tradition, they merely look at me like I'm speaking in a foreign lanuage and keep right on going about how great their aggies and their coach are. But on the bright side, they have to pull into my driveway where an OU flag proudly waves, walk past the garden stone on my porch stating "This is Sooner Country", to the front door that is painted crimson. Then to get to the kitchen they have to walk through the bar area where the walls are covered with Sooner memories, including footballs signed by Sims, Owens, and White. Since I don't have enough seating for everyone that will be here, I then pull out the OU tailgate chairs for them to sit in (you would be surprised how many prefer to stand).

You need a doorbell that plays Boomer Sooner with the chime on the outside of the house. Then don't answer the door until they have pushed it four or fives times :D

rekamrettuB
4/22/2011, 10:05 AM
Here's the correct order IMO..

Snyder
Bob
Mack
Pinkel
Gundy

There's no argument about Snyder pre 2004 but this Snyder isn't the same. He was 66 when he retired in 2005. Unless he visited the fountain of youth, that 1990s Snyder is long gone.

You know, one could argue that Snyder and KState started to fizzle when Bob Stoops and his KState staff entered the Big XII.

JLEW1818
4/22/2011, 10:08 AM
Snyder above Stoops is a joke.

I thought the question was current coaches in the big 12-2? lol, and even if it's not....do we wanna look at all time ? it's still Stoops by a ****ing mile.

anways, cool Snyder had some good years and turned around a program. Stoops did too. And he has more a million more things to show for than Snyder does.

Snyder has what? One confernece title to show for in 20+ years as a head coach? That's almost as worthless as mack brown

JLEW1818
4/22/2011, 10:16 AM
There's no argument about Snyder pre 2004 but this Snyder isn't the same. He was 66 when he retired in 2005. Unless he visited the fountain of youth, that 1990s Snyder is long gone.

You know, one could argue that Snyder and KState started to fizzle when Bob Stoops and his KState staff entered the Big XII.

okay, let's talk pre-2004

Snyder, 1 Conference Title

Stoops, 1 National Title, 2 Conference Titles

NEXT....

rekamrettuB
4/22/2011, 10:38 AM
okay, let's talk pre-2004

Snyder, 1 Conference Title

Stoops, 1 National Title, 2 Conference Titles

NEXT....

Snyder had 10+ years on Stoops and had accomplished something pretty phenomenal. I could see someone choosing Snyder. I don't and I should have said "I can't argue with you because you have a valid point pre 2004". I lean towards my final argument that Snyder's demise was when Stoops and Co took the reigns. KState did what they did with a pretty weak Big XII South which included two sleeping giants.

badger
4/22/2011, 10:50 AM
I must agree that with all of you to some degree, that Snyder does not deserve to be thrown at the bottom of the heap with every other coach in the Big 12 besides Stoops (and to a far lesser degree, Macc Braun), but I must also agree that Stoops has surpassed his one-time boss.

It should be commended that Snyder finally broke through the BCS barrier that seemed to be holding a school of KSU's level (sorry Wildcats, but both our butts have splinters from the bleachers in that crappy stadium you guys have, amirite?) back, despite their high levels of success that would have granted at-large bids to schools of similar success if they were more prestigious programs.

Alas, you cannot overlook the fact that Snyder only won the Big 12 once. 11-win seasons are so easy to acquire in this era of football that even [hairGel] has one now, so I'm not giving him any further kudos for what he accomplished from 98-00 and the 2003 season.

And I cannot go further without mentioning the fact that Snyder's success is largely on the backs of a dirt-easy non-conference schedule. In '98, his first 11-win season, he beat Indiana State, Northern Illinois and Louisiana Monroe. In 99, the next 11-win season, Temple, UTEP and Utah State. In 2000, kudos, you actually scheduled a name opponent, Iowa, and beat them. But, you also had La Tech and Ball State. In 2003, your cupcake feast include Cal, kudos again, but also included Troy State, McNeese State, Massachusetts and Marshall. Gahhhhh. Oh, and you LOST TO MARSHALL. GAHHH!!!!!!!!!

So anyways, Snyder did good for KSU, but consider the end-results. One Big 12 title. One BCS bowl, a loss (thanks for the pregame crap,QB extraordinaire!)

boomermagic
4/22/2011, 04:19 PM
My goodness people.. Look where Snyder did what he did and look where Bob is.. I guess I'm just willing to give him credit that he deserves. Do you think Bob could have won NC and as many games as Bill has If Bob had been coaching Kstate ? I don't know if anyone could have. How many NC would Snyder have won at OU ? Consider the differences in the 2 programs. Saying Snyder can't win now is like saying Barry couldn't{I guess some actually believe that} hell look at Joe Pa. I'll stick with my list.. Hell, I don't even like Snyder but I gptta be honest about his proven coaching ability. I would have loved to see what ole Bill could have done at an OU or a Florida or USC etc.. BTW, Bob is my favorite coach I just call em like I see em and I try to not wear my Crimson glasses all the time.

badger
4/22/2011, 04:31 PM
I think history's shown that some coaches that can rebuild programs absolutely suck at programs that don't need rebuilding, but rather, need championships.

It would be fun to see Snyder at a less crappy program than KSU, yes, but before you go all "If Bob had been coaching Kstate" again, remember, Bob WAS coaching K-state before he was coaching Florida, so part of Snyder's success is thanks to Stoops!

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/22/2011, 04:32 PM
Why can't everyone on here just admit that we are jealous of Gundy and OsU Cowboys. They are getting sweet new uni's, they have the greatest stadium north of the Dallas Cowboys stadium, they are a program on the rise. We just can't compete, I just hope our gymnastics program stays strong so we can be proud of something at least. I am just saying it will almost be impossible for OsU not to win the next 8 National Championships with the level of talent they are bringing in

boomermagic
4/22/2011, 04:37 PM
Why can't everyone on here just admit that we are jealous of Gundy and OsU Cowboys. They are getting sweet new uni's, they have the greatest stadium north of the Dallas Cowboys stadium, they are a program on the rise. We just can't compete, I just hope our gymnastics program stays strong so we can be proud of something at least. I am just saying it will almost be impossible for OsU not to win the next 8 National Championships with the level of talent they are bringing in

GOOD ONE ! :D :D :D

badger
4/22/2011, 04:40 PM
Why can't everyone on here just admit that we are jealous of Gundy and OsU Cowboys.

I, badger, readily admit that I am jealous of Gundy's hair and OsU Cowboys' grand intentions for an athletic village.

boomermagic
4/22/2011, 04:41 PM
I think history's shown that some coaches that can rebuild programs absolutely suck at programs that don't need rebuilding, but rather, need championships.

It would be fun to see Snyder at a less crappy program than KSU, yes, but before you go all "If Bob had been coaching Kstate" again, remember, Bob WAS coaching K-state before he was coaching Florida, so part of Snyder's success is thanks to Stoops!

Hey, Your preachin to the Choir about Bob being a good coach.. Yes, absolutely Bob was very much a part of that KState rebuild so was Mike, Brent and Mangino.. No wonder Snyder started losing more after Bob left he stole his coaching staff lol Thank goodness. :D My point is Snyder picked winning coaches and players. How the hell he ever got them at KState is just a tribute to Bill Snyder. It would have been interesting to see what Bill would have done at OU.. We will never know.. Having said that I am tickled to death that Bob is at OU BUT that doesn't stop me from giving credit where it's due and It's due to Snyder..

badger
4/22/2011, 05:05 PM
It's cool man. I will never pretend to be a college football coaching expert, but here's a question to really hurt your head with: KSU's collapse after Snyder left. Is that to Snyder's credit, showing that they can only succeed when he is charge, or to his detriment, showing that he didn't build a solid enough foundation for KSU to be continuously successful after he inevitably, eventually retires?

boomermagic
4/22/2011, 07:05 PM
It's cool man. I will never pretend to be a college football coaching expert, but here's a question to really hurt your head with: KSU's collapse after Snyder left. Is that to Snyder's credit, showing that they can only succeed when he is charge, or to his detriment, showing that he didn't build a solid enough foundation for KSU to be continuously successful after he inevitably, eventually retires?

I don't claim to know everything either because I sure don't.. Damn good question.. I thought about Mangino and Ks. when I read that. OU can win 9 games every year at least 9 with a decent coach, Ks. Or KState can't. It takes someone who knows how to coach,recruit and hire good assistants and get the most out of the assistant coaches and players. We all know that Mangino, B.Stoops, I believe M. Stoops as well are really good coaches I'll include Brent in there as well.

I don't think you can win consistantly with JUST a good head coach OR JUST good assistants ESPECIALLY at a program that is not a traditional recruiting powerhouse. It is my opinion that at an OU, Bama, Usc, Ohio State etc. that you can still be marginally successful with average coaching. It doesn't always work out but it usually does. You can't with a John Blake but you can with a Gary Gibbs{ a great assistant.} There are MANY MANY great coaches out there coaching small KState type teams who don't win but If they were at OU they would be doing as well as Bob IMO..

A coach at OU can pay his assistants more than at Kstate so he can hire and KEEP better coaches. He also has a built in recruiting base because his ground work has been done for him by Bud and Barry. It is SO MUCH easier to win at OU than at Ks./KState/Iowa State etc. But a head coach who wins a NC at OU, Fl, Bama etc is thought by many to be a better coach. I don't always agree with that. It is always harder to win consistantly at a traditionally losing program that at an OU..

SoonerofAlabama
4/22/2011, 09:25 PM
OSU fans never fail to amaze me.

JLEW1818
4/22/2011, 11:04 PM
My goodness people.. Look where Snyder did what he did and look where Bob is.. I guess I'm just willing to give him credit that he deserves. Do you think Bob could have won NC and as many games as Bill has If Bob had been coaching Kstate ? I don't know if anyone could have. How many NC would Snyder have won at OU ? Consider the differences in the 2 programs. Saying Snyder can't win now is like saying Barry couldn't{I guess some actually believe that} hell look at Joe Pa. I'll stick with my list.. Hell, I don't even like Snyder but I gptta be honest about his proven coaching ability. I would have loved to see what ole Bill could have done at an OU or a Florida or USC etc.. BTW, Bob is my favorite coach I just call em like I see em and I try to not wear my Crimson glasses all the time.

notice how when you argue Snyder, you have to say the word "if" and "would have" .... if is a fantasy, something nobody will ever know because it never took place. "If Lebron James had this" "If Dan Marino had a defense" "If Karl Malone didn't play in the MJ years" "If somebody else drafted Tom Brady"

Stoops is not an if. He got a Head coaching job at a great school who was in the hole.

"I call em like i see emm too" and i have stats backing it up.

cool. Maybe Bob should go coach at Wake Forest, and turn that program around... then will he be as good as Snyder?

Good lord. Snyder and M. Brown have 40 years of head coaching experience between the two of them, and they have 3 conference titles between the 2 of them.

Wearing the Crimson Glasses is not always a bad thing... b/c most of the time it's true.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/23/2011, 02:50 AM
Well you can throw out the conference titles in Snyder's case. Kansas State had been to exactly 1 bowl game before Snyder came to town. Kansas State did not have a coach since 1935 who had a .500 record or better for his career. They have been to 14 bowl games, 12 with Snyder and 1 the year after he retired. This program literally won 10 games every year for the better of a decade and still is ranked 112th all time in win percentage. THIS program was horrible. Stoops inherited disorganized, Snyder inherited nothing. Snyder to me is right up there with Osborne, Switzer, Stoops, and just about any other coach.

texaspokieokie
4/23/2011, 08:56 AM
Well you can throw out the conference titles in Snyder's case. Kansas State had been to exactly 1 bowl game before Snyder came to town. Kansas State did not have a coach since 1935 who had a .500 record or better for his career. They have been to 14 bowl games, 12 with Snyder and 1 the year after he retired. This program literally won 10 games every year for the better of a decade and still is ranked 112th all time in win percentage. THIS program was horrible. Stoops inherited disorganized, Snyder inherited nothing. Snyder to me is right up there with Osborne, Switzer, Stoops, and just about any other coach.

THIS

Kray
4/23/2011, 09:23 AM
In that thread, there is virtually nobody claiming Gundy is better than Stoops. But there is no reason he should be ranked behind Pinkel - about the same conference winning %. Gundy has Pinkel head to head. Gundy has been to better bowls. He has nice facilities, but it isn't like he has more overall advantages than a coach at aTm or Mizzou.

I'm curious why Mack gets so much love here. I wouldn't be ready to put Pinkel and Gundy above him too fast, but who has done less with more than Mack has? How can you lose to ISU at home with all his advantages? Briles may be the best of all of them, but at Baylor he's likely to never do much better than he is now. What could Briles do with Texas's recruiting advantages and resources?

As to Stoops vs. Snyder: Currently, Stoops. Obviously. But if you took their careers in total it would be a dead heat. Snyder never won a NC, but he literally took KSU from worst to first. Not just a school that was never good but a school that was the absolute worst.

Compare that to Gundy at OSU. Miles had already laid the groundwork, and OSU had been decent in the past. KSU had never even been decent. Gundy didn't come into OU or Texas level riches, but he OSU was already middle class. Snyder started with a sharecropper's shack.

Currently I have difficulty giving anyone #2. Mack is underachieving. Gundy and Pinkel are about the same, with a slight edge to Gundy. Snyder hasn't done a thing since 2003. Sherman has only been good for a year, and Tubberville took TT downhill. The ISU guy gets the most from his guys, but it's the Baylor position. He's gonna be outgunned every game.

1) Stoops

* Drop off

Second tier: Mack, Gundy, Pinkel, Sherman (maybe). All about the same. I know it's religion that Mack is the default #2, but I just can't do it.

Guys with potential, but horrible jobs: Rhoads, Briles.

The rest: Tubberville, Gill, etc.

badger
4/23/2011, 09:31 AM
I'm curious why Mack gets so much love here.

Mack has been nice, but more than that, he has seemed to hold Texas back from unprecedented heights that a coach like Stoops could take our hated rival. He's successful enough to keep his $5 mil (ish, I don't know what his exact salary is), but loses enough to keep OU fans happy.

5-7! 5-7! 5-7! :D

NMSooner'80
4/23/2011, 03:38 PM
Let's get away from what Snyder did and re-focus on the absurd notion that Gundy will surpass Stoops anytime soon.

But, this kind of Aggy lunacy is old stuff for those of us who can remember clear back to 1973 and the original Puke slogan "The Year of the Cowboy." It finally happened in '76 with a team that was bought-and-paid-for (including Terry Miller), and it didn't happen again for 19 years.

However, that didn't prevent the annual "this is our year" talk that was also tied to their inevitable nonsense about how OU was overrated or due for a fall, or whatever. If you lived in the OKC area in the mid-80's, you heard the insipid "Doc D" on radio declare over and over that OU was the third-best team in the state, and after he was proven wrong over and over he still kept such nonsense going on the airwaves.

texaspokieokie
4/23/2011, 05:01 PM
Mack has been nice, but more than that, he has seemed to hold Texas back from unprecedented heights that a coach like Stoops could take our hated rival. He's successful enough to keep his $5 mil (ish, I don't know what his exact salary is), but loses enough to keep OU fans happy.

i'm sure not a fan of mack, or anything tejas. (even tho i live here). tx has won a MNC & played for another since Bob has.

mack doesn't come close to losing enuff to keep this OU fan happy.

gundy/stoops comparison was (i thot) to gundy & MIKE stoops. gundy beat az. not a really tuff opponent, but surely as good (name wise) as UCONN>

texaspokieokie
4/23/2011, 05:03 PM
Let's get away from what Snyder did and re-focus on the absurd notion that Gundy will surpass Stoops anytime soon.

But, this kid of Aggy lunacy is old stuff for those of us who can remember clear back to 1973 and the original Puke slogan "The Year of the Cowboy." It finally happened in '76 with a team that was bought-and-paid-for (including Terry Miller), and it didn't happen again for 19 years.

However, that didn't prevent the annual "this is our year" talk that was also tied to their inevitable nonsense about how OU was overrated or due for a fall, or whatever. If you lived in the OKC area in the mid-80's, you heard the insipid "Doc D" on radio declare over and over that OU was the third-best team in the state, and after he was proven wrong over and over he still kept such nonsense going on the airwaves.

from 89 for several years, there was no talk coming out of stilly.

boomermagic
4/23/2011, 08:41 PM

I agree. Not everyone feels the same and thats ok but I stand by what I said anyway.

boomermagic
4/23/2011, 08:49 PM

Texas is arguably the best program in the country to coach and should be playing for a NC almost every year. When you consider their recruiting base and the money their program generates and have thrown their way anyone that can't win consistantly at texas can't coach. Considering everything I think Mack has under achieved in a big way. Not a lot has changed since Barry said in his book that he considered texas to be the top coaching job in the country. I HATE TEXAS..