PDA

View Full Version : Auburn tree poisoner attacked after day in court

JLEW1818
4/21/2011, 09:49 AM
OPELIKA, Ala. -- The Alabama fan accused of poisoning landmark trees at Auburn's Toomer's Corner told police he was assaulted at a gas station Wednesday shortly after leaving the courthouse.

Harvey Updyke Jr., 62, told an officer he was attacked when he stepped out of his car at a gas station on Birmingham Highway, according to Opelika Police Capt. Allan Elkins.

Updyke was punched in the head, and believes there was more than one person involved, but didn't see who did it, Elkins said. The gas station did not have surveillance video.
Updyke was treated for small bruises and scratches at a hospital, Elkins said.

"All he told me is he didn't see who hit him and he didn't know what he was hit with," Updyke's attorney Glennon Threatt Jr. said.

"He's scared but he's OK. He said he doesn't remember being hit. He just blacked out and woke up on the ground," Threatt said.

Earlier, Updyke made a brief appearance in Lee County District Court, where his attorney waived his right to a preliminary hearing.

Threatt said prosecutors had rejected what he called a "low-ball" plea deal to the district attorney's office on behalf of Updyke, who wore a crimson-colored tie to a preliminary hearing. The deal would have spared Updyke from going to jail.

Updyke, who spent a night in jail after his arrest, is free on bond. He is charged with first-degree criminal mischief in the poisoning of the trees, where Auburn fans celebrate victories by heaving toilet paper into the branches of the 130-year-old oaks. If convicted, he could face one to 10 years in prison.

"Based on conversations we've had, it was clear to me that there was enough evidence to bind this case over to the grand jury," Threatt said outside the courthouse. "So we agreed to waive the preliminary hearing in return for the state giving us some limited discovery in the case."

District Attorney Robbie Treese wouldn't confirm that agreement or discuss the plea offer.

Threatt got his client's bond conditions changed to allow Updyke, who declined to speak to reporters, to live with relatives in Louisiana.

Alternatives to a prison sentence for Updyke, who has health problems, include outpatient mental health counseling, electronic monitoring and supervised probation, his attorney said.

Updyke has admitted to calling a radio show Jan. 27 saying he poisoned the historic trees with a herbicide known as "Spike 80DF" and to leaving a phone message for an Auburn professor claiming knowledge of the poisoning, court documents said.

But Threatt said his client told police he didn't poison the trees. He said the deal offer wasn't an admission of guilt.

"What I've got to do is defend him of these charges," Threatt said. "I'm not his judge, I'm his lawyer."

He said he would answer questions for Updyke, who stood quietly by with hands clasped in front of him.

"Emotionally, he's distraught a little bit," Threatt said. "Nobody wants to be facing jail time. He wants this to be over and know that he's safe and know that his freedom and liberty will be protected. That's what I'm trying to do for him."

The tree poisoning has angered Auburn fans, prompting thousands of people to attend a "Toomer's Tree Hug" just over a week after the football team won its first national championship in more than a half-century.

Threatt said people have said things that have caused concern for the his client's safety, and that Updyke's tires were slashed at a Walmart parking lot. A move to Louisiana would relieve some worries, Threatt said.

"He has a lot of family that loves him," Threatt said. "They're very concerned about him, and they want to have him in a loving and nurturing environment. We believe that it was easier to create that environment for him outside the state of Alabama."

The plight of the trees has shined a harsh light on a rivalry that engulfs a state with no major professional sports teams.

Updyke admitted to poisoning the trees on the radio show, finishing his call with "Roll Damn Tide." He has children named Crimson Tyde and Bear, after iconic coach Bear Bryant.

Some Alabama fans have defended the oaks, with one group collecting $50,000 for a fund dedicated to the trees.

One of the poisoned trees is not doing well. Many branches don't have leaves or have much smaller ones. The other tree is not showing any signs of poisoning right now, said Auburn horticulture professor Gary Keever.

The professor said there was no danger to people.

Auburn fans have used Toomer's Corner as a meeting place since the school was established in 1856. Former Auburn athletic director David Housel said it morphed into what it is today in 1972, when Tigers star Terry Henley said "we're going to go beat the No. 2 out of Alabama."

Auburn fans then started the toilet paper tradition after a 17-16 victory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6395973

Boomer.....
4/21/2011, 09:51 AM
They didn't even rip his sack? Amateurs

StoopTroup
4/21/2011, 10:01 AM
They had a video of him on CNN this morning.

I think he probably thought he'd be a legend....

I don't think it worked out like he thought it would.....lol

Leroy Lizard
4/21/2011, 10:11 AM
Didn't he call in to the radio show before the poisoning was discovered? That's going to be tough to explain away.

http://www.waaytv.com/media/lib/158/2/5/3/253ed914-5925-4285-926d-6074a11a9d29/Story.jpg

rekamrettuB
4/21/2011, 10:13 AM
ROLL DAMN TIDE!!!

badger
4/21/2011, 10:16 AM
Next time you think of poisoning a beloved 130-year-old tree, either don't do it in the first place, or for the love of Crimson Tyde and Bear, your two Bammer kids, don't call a radio station to brag about it! And if you do that, make up a better fake name or say that you're from Florida or something. And use someone else's phone!

TahoeSOONER
4/21/2011, 10:32 AM
Nobody wants to see it get violent but if I were the judge I'd make him do community service in Auburn gear on Auburn's campus for three years.

Put a helmet cam on him for protection and go after anyone who attacks him, justice served.

Leroy Lizard
4/21/2011, 10:44 AM
Nobody wants to see it get violent but if I were the judge I'd make him do community service in Auburn gear on Auburn's campus for three years.

Yet another capital punishment argument.

SoonerNomad
4/21/2011, 11:02 AM
While I wouln't punch the guy, at least punching the guy in anger isn't as cowardly as poisoning trees. I love football, but come on boys let's get some perspective.

LakeRat
4/21/2011, 11:04 AM

Put a helmet cam on him for protection and go after anyone who attacks him, justice served.

That is awesome!! My only problem is, if I ever did something to Bevo, I wouldn't want this to start a precedent.

TahoeSOONER
4/21/2011, 11:06 AM
Yet another capital punishment argument.

Doing community service to a campus you harmed is capital punishment?

badger
4/21/2011, 11:09 AM
That is awesome!! My only problem is, if I ever did something to Bevo, I wouldn't want this to start a precedent.

That's why you'd never do anything to Bevo, amirite?

I mean, Bevo isn't some 130-year-old oak. They usher the cow onto the field, then when he gets too old, they barbecue him up for the students to eat and get a new cow to blast the cannon at, heavily drug endure the yelling of 100k fairweather late arrival early departure fans.

The cow is doomed enough with whorn fans. I would think Bammer fans would feel the same way about the Auburn oak --- I mean, toilet paper? Seriously? That stuff catches fire very easily.

MyT Oklahoma
4/21/2011, 12:18 PM
This guy (Updyke) has got to be the.. "You have the right to remain stupid...." sports story of the week.

TUSKtimes
4/21/2011, 12:25 PM
"I think that I shall never see, a poem lovely as a tree."

Roll Tide, not trees.

Mississippi Sooner
4/21/2011, 12:27 PM
I think they said those trees were valued at around...$180,000.

:pop:

EatLeadCommie
4/21/2011, 12:33 PM
He deserves a beatdown as far as I'm concerned. He meant to incite, and it worked.

jagvocate
4/21/2011, 12:35 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/703934/auburn_cash_cab_medium.gif

cccasooner2
4/21/2011, 12:46 PM
...Put a helmet cam on him for protection and go after anyone who attacks him, justice served.

Now we're supposed to protect him? F**k that, he's a big boy and can take care of himself.

TUSKtimes
4/21/2011, 12:49 PM

:pop:

A full cord of wood, delivered and dumped, stack yourself, around $200.00.

I've seen them thar trees, $180,000 seems a little high.

TahoeSOONER
4/21/2011, 01:11 PM
Now we're supposed to protect him? F**k that, he's a big boy and can take care of himself.

I think putting him on community service at Auburns campus for three years would almost force him to talk with the good people around there and find a common respect for his rival. My guess would be he'd suffer enough yet find that respect through the kindness of people willing to show some forgiveness. The helmet cam will protect him against the kind of cowards that attacked him at the gas station and deter people from doing such acts.

It would be a dangerous gamble with the tree poisners life but might teach a lot of people how to be kind to your rivals. Can you imagine editing down some of the conversations into a reality tv scenario. It would be entertaining and educational in many ways.

The Maestro
4/21/2011, 01:14 PM

That's some expensive wood....
http://chud.com/articles/content_images/173/BeavisandButthead.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
4/21/2011, 01:52 PM
Heh heh. You said...

CrimsonCommando
4/21/2011, 05:10 PM
That's why you'd never do anything to Bevo, amirite?

I mean, Bevo isn't some 130-year-old oak. They usher the cow onto the field, then when he gets too old, they barbecue him up for the students to eat and get a new cow to blast the cannon at, heavily drug endure the yelling of 100k fairweather late arrival early departure fans.

The cow is doomed enough with whorn fans. I would think Bammer fans would feel the same way about the Auburn oak --- I mean, toilet paper? Seriously? That stuff catches fire very easily.

I would totally butcher BEVO. I would have him made into steaks, ribs, and tenderloins, maybe even some jerky too. I would marinade him. Then I would grill him and eat him in front of every whorn fan I could find. I would even offer some of him to the whorns to eat too. Then we would save his left-overs and I would continue to eat BEVO until he was all gone. Then I would look for a new BEVO and repeat the cycle. Suffice to say I would go all "Toomer's Corner" kind of crazy on BEVO.

agoo758
4/21/2011, 05:24 PM
I would totally butcher BEVO. I would have him made into steaks, ribs, and tenderloins, maybe even some jerky too. I would marinade him. Then I would grill him and eat him in front of every whorn fan I could find. I would even offer some of him to the whorns to eat too. Then we would save his left-overs and I would continue to eat BEVO until he was all gone. Then I would look for a new BEVO and repeat the cycle. Suffice to say I would go all "Toomer's Corner" kind of crazy on BEVO.

Soonerfan tailgate!:)

Mongo
4/21/2011, 05:27 PM
I dont know what is funnier, this dude getting whooped or the Westboro baptist tard getting a mudhole stomped in him without any witnesses able to identify the beaters

Theskipster
4/21/2011, 05:32 PM
Today's Harvey Updyke interview on the Paul Finbaum show.

Part 1 (http://podcasting.fia.net/6960/4719424.mp3) - Talks about the attack
Part 2 (http://podcasting.fia.net/6960/4719426.mp3) - Talks about poisoning the trees and why.

85sooners
4/21/2011, 05:56 PM
lol

trueou
4/21/2011, 06:00 PM

Bevo is a dumb animal. He does not know that he is a Longhorn. I can't believe that you would want to do him harm for that reason. He has already had his testicles removed and has become a symbol of all things evil. The UTerus has already abused him enough. Poor guy.

He is, however, a steer whose only purpose for existing is to be meat on the table.

bonkuba
4/21/2011, 11:15 PM
....and all this over a ****ing tree....pfft. :D

EatLeadCommie
4/21/2011, 11:38 PM
I dont know what is funnier, this dude getting whooped or the Westboro baptist tard getting a mudhole stomped in him without any witnesses able to identify the beaters

Wait, when did the Westboro thing happen? That's awesome if that happened.

Soonerpsycho
4/22/2011, 03:13 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Auburn/Updyke_Barnstormed.gif

King Barry's Back
4/25/2011, 07:32 AM
I think putting him on community service at Auburns campus for three years would almost force him to talk with the good people around there and find a common respect for his rival. My guess would be he'd suffer enough yet find that respect through the kindness of people willing to show some forgiveness. The helmet cam will protect him against the kind of cowards that attacked him at the gas station and deter people from doing such acts.

It would be a dangerous gamble with the tree poisners life but might teach a lot of people how to be kind to your rivals. Can you imagine editing down some of the conversations into a reality tv scenario. It would be entertaining and educational in many ways.

Wait a minute. Does this post mean that we have to start being nice to the red headed step children in Stilly? No way. No how. And they started it.

agoo758
4/25/2011, 10:04 AM

A youtube video floating around perhaps?:)

Mongo
4/25/2011, 10:16 AM

http://thehayride.com/2011/04/westboro-baptist-church-goes-to-mississippi-and-loses/

delhalew
4/25/2011, 10:56 AM
http://thehayride.com/2011/04/westboro-baptist-church-goes-to-mississippi-and-loses/

That is awesome.

Breadburner
4/25/2011, 11:00 AM
The tree killer seems suprised he got his *** kicked and is acting like he is a victim....What a dumb ****.....

Monster Zero
4/25/2011, 01:13 PM
I like trees and I haven't heard anything about how the trees are doing.

How are the trees doing? Better than expected, I hope?

LASooner
4/25/2011, 02:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks he sounds like Mack Brown?

SoonerLB
4/25/2011, 06:40 PM
Send his azz to an Alabama prison wearing Auburn longjohns, with easy-open snaps on the back flap. :D

stoopified
4/25/2011, 06:52 PM
They shoulda made him cut a switch off the tree and beat him with it.