PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Weed

Pages : 1 [2]

SpankyNek
6/21/2011, 07:55 PM
Why don't you show up to work drunk as **** and tell me if they'll let you operate a crane, fly a helicopter, deliver something or work on heavy duty equipment and get back to me on that one. :D
I understand what you are trying to say, but that same person could not be fired for simply "pissing hot" on a random ua.

If someone is obviously impaired (even if it's on Benadryl) during such activity, they have very little recourse.

goingoneight
6/21/2011, 07:55 PM
All I'm saying is legalizing it all would draw the line on it's own between the serious people, the whiny liberal types, the stoned all day types and everyone else. And it was more than anything just a post to grind some folks gears, not necessarily one that was thought out for hours on end. :D

goingoneight
6/21/2011, 07:58 PM
Doesn't bother me any way. I see people high on serious illegal **** all the time and it's no different than the guns argument. Make it illegal and all you really do is have a bunch of rules. If people want to do harm to themselves and others, they're gonna do it anyway. Laws didn't stop my best friend in HS from overdosing anymore than they stopped OJ from all the **** he did.

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 08:01 PM
All I'm saying is legalizing it all would draw the line on it's own between the serious people, the whiny liberal types, the stoned all day types and everyone else. And it was more than anything just a post to grind some folks gears, not necessarily one that was thought out for hours on end. :D

Just legalize marinol and get to work on a extended release version for folks with serious issues that require constant amounts in their system.

I have faith that it can be done. They still won't be able to drive or operate a crane same as if they legalize it in the smoking version of the drug but they eliminate the possibility of Lung Cancer and breathing problems like Tobacco has caused in this Country...

Marijuana Side Effects

Marijuana side effects come from smoking or consuming the drug and marijuana side effects influence the mind and body of the user. Marijuana side effects can be as seemingly innocent as an increased appetite to as life threatening as lung cancer. Increased likelihood for accidents is also one of the marijuana side effects. Studies show that 6 to 11 percent of fatal accidents are contributed to by marijuana side effects. Other external marijuana side effects include legal problems, work and financial problems and troubles at home.

Marijuana is most often smoked but can be eaten or steeped in tea to drink. Most over-doses occur actually when the drug is eaten because it is easier to consume a large dose all at once. Marijuana side effects from an overdose include toxic psychosis including hallucinations, delusions and a loss of self-identification. When smoked, marijuana is rolled up into a cigarette called a joint or smoked in a pipe or water pipe called a bong. Marijuana has many street names like pot, hash, chronic and there are many paraphernalia available to smoke it.

Over 11 million people smoked marijuana last month. Many may not have severe marijuana side effects from taking the drug but many people will. Marijuana side effects include physical problems like breathing difficulties and deteriorating physical abilities. Despite a popular belief, marijuana side effects speed up the heart, blood and breathing rate. The body is taxed more and this speeds up the aging process just like methamphetamines do. The marijuana side effects from this extra exertion on the body include a higher risk for lung cancer, heart attacks and strokes.

Marijuana side effects also wreak havoc on the brain when the drug is used habitually. The natural chemical balance of the brain is disrupted affecting the pleasure centers and regulatory systems. The ability to learn, remember and adapt quickly to changes is impaired by marijuana use. Depression often occurs with marijuana usage, which feeds into the cycle of more drug use to treat the pain created by drug use. This cycle of addiction is very powerful and users soon find that they cannot stop using the drug even if they want to.

Marijuana addiction is a progressive disease and marijuana side effects include withdrawal and obsessive thought with the drug when it is not made available. Addiction is identified as a compulsive, uncontrollable craving for the drug even with pending negative consequences. Often users will attempt to stop smoking marijuana for an important event such as a job interview or court hearing and find themselves using very close or just before the event. This act goes beyond a flexing of willpower. This describes being enveloped by a disease that has taken control and needs to be treated.

Spencer Recovery Centers has been successfully treating the disease of marijuana addiction for many years. Nationwide, intake for marijuana addiction has doubled for drug rehabilitation facilities. Many people are realizing that marijuana side effects are not to be taken lightly and need to be addressed by professionals.

Spencer Recovery Centers brings together the best treatments of the medical community and the therapeutic sciences. Our professional staff and facilities have treated thousands of clients suffering from the effects of marijuana addiction. We have also conducted many successful interventions on initially reluctant clients who have gone on to live sober lives. Recovery does not need to be fully accepting at first to be effective. But it does take action so call us today for a private consultation of our services.

http://www.marijuana-addiction.net/marijuana-side-effects.htm

SpankyNek
6/21/2011, 08:04 PM
Doesn't bother me any way. I see people high on serious illegal **** all the time and it's no different than the guns argument. Make it illegal and all you really do is have a bunch of rules. If people want to do harm to themselves and others, they're gonna do it anyway. Laws didn't stop my best friend in HS from overdosing anymore than they stopped OJ from all the **** he did.

I'm with ya on this. I don't think that there are a ton of folks out there saying "If meth were only legal...."

SpankyNek
6/21/2011, 08:07 PM
Just legalize marinol and get to work on a extended release version for folks with serious issues that require constant amounts in their system.

I have faith that it can be done. They still won't be able to drive or operate a crane same as if they legalize it in the smoking version of the drug but they eliminate the possibility of Lung Cancer and breathing problems like Tobacco has caused in this Country...

I haven't smoked in nearly 10 years, but I think that many of the folks that use it medically either eat it or use vaporizors to inhale the compounds.

BTW, the there is a ton of disagreement in the medical world regarding THC and chemical dependence.

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 08:11 PM
I haven't smoked in nearly 10 years, but I think that many of the folks that use it medically either eat it or use vaporizors to inhale the compounds.

BTW, the there is a ton of disagreement in the medical world regarding THC and chemical dependence.

Sure there is....on top of that...imagine trying to get the insurance companies to pay for your high....lol

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 08:11 PM

:D

SpankyNek
6/21/2011, 08:13 PM
Sure there is....on top of that...imagine trying to get the insurance companies to pay for your high....lol

Believe me, the insurance companies keep a ton of people high.

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 08:20 PM
Believe me, the insurance companies keep a ton of people high.

Not on weed....

yermom
6/21/2011, 08:42 PM

you shouldn't operate a crane on opiates or Benadryl or beer either, it's not really part of the discussion

if you show up to work impaired, you should probably be fired, no matter what it's on

MR2-Sooner86
6/21/2011, 08:54 PM
Why Isn’t There More Medical Marijuana Research? Because The Feds Won’t Allow It, That’s Why (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/01/27/why-isn%E2%80%99t-there-more-medical-marijuana-research-because-the-feds-won%E2%80%99t-allow-it-that%E2%80%99s-why/)

It’s the ‘Catch-22’ that has plagued medical marijuana advocates and patients for decades. Lawmakers and health regulators demand clinical studies on the safety and efficacy of medical cannabis, but the federal agency in charge of such research bars these investigations from ever taking place.

But it took until now for the federal government to finally admit it.

A spokesperson for the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) told The New York Times last week that the agency does “not fund research focused on the potential medical benefits of marijuana.”

Why is this admission so significant? Here’s why.

Under federal law, NIDA (along with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration) must approve all clinical and preclinical research involving marijuana. NIDA strictly controls which investigators are allowed access to the federal government’s lone research supply of pot – which is authorized via a NIDA contract and cultivated and stored at the University of Mississippi.

In short, no NIDA approval = no marijuana = no scientific studies. And that is, and always has been, the problem.

But to the folks over at NIDA, there’s no problem at all.

Speaking to The New York Times in a January 19, 2010 article entitled, “Researchers Find Medical Study of Marijuana Discouraged,” NIDA spokeswoman Shirley Simson said (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/health/policy/19marijuana.html): “As the National Institute on Drug Abuse, our focus is primarily on the negative consequences of marijuana use. We generally do not fund research focused on the potential beneficial medical effects of marijuana.”

Since NIDA presently oversees an estimated 85 percent of the world’s research on controlled substances, the agency’s ban on medical marijuana research isn’t just limited to the United States’ borders; it extends throughout the planet.

Previous legal attempts to break NIDA’s bureaucratic logjam have failed to weaken the agency’s iron grip.

In 2007, U.S. DEA Administrative Law Judge Mary Ellen Bittner ruled that NIDA’s monopolization of marijuana research is not “in the public interest,” and ordered the federal government to allow private manufacturers to produce the drug for research purposes. But in January of last year, DEA Deputy Administrator Michele Leonhart set aside Judge Bittner’s ruling — stating that NIDA possesses “adequate” quantities of cannabis to meet the needs of clinical investigators, and that the agency monopoly on the distribution of marijuana for research is compliant with America’s international treaty obligations. (Notably, on January 26, 2010 President Barack Obama selected Leonhart to be the DEA’s full time Director.)

Most recently, in November 2009 the American Medical Association’s (AMA) Council on Science and Public Health declared, “Results of short term controlled trials indicate that smoked cannabis reduces neuropathic pain, improves appetite and caloric intake especially in patients with reduced muscle mass, and may relieve spasticity and pain in patients with multiple sclerosis.”

However, the Council lamented that despite these encouraging preliminary results, “[There is a contrast between the relatively small number of patients who have been studied over the past 30 years in controlled clinical trials involving smoked cannabis and survey data from patients with chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis that indicates a significant use of cannabis for self management.”

And just what is the precise reason for this "contrast?" The AMA failed to specify, but to anyone who has followed this issue, the answer is painfully obvious.

Nevertheless, the AMA still resolved, "[The] AMA urges that marijuana’s status as a federal Schedule I controlled substance be reviewed with the goal of facilitating the conduct of clinical research and development of cannabinoid-based medicines.”

But since any future clinical trials would still require NIDA approval — approval that the agency admits won’t be coming any time soon — it remains unclear what effect, if any, the AMA’s declaration will have on facilitating medical marijuana research. If history is any guide, it’s unlikely that the AMA request — much like the cries of tens of thousands of patients before it — will have any effect on NIDA at all.

No biased views here. None at all.

Turd_Ferguson
6/21/2011, 09:24 PM
Why Isn’t There More Medical Marijuana Research? Because The Feds Won’t Allow It, That’s Why (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/01/27/why-isn%E2%80%99t-there-more-medical-marijuana-research-because-the-feds-won%E2%80%99t-allow-it-that%E2%80%99s-why/)

No biased views here. None at all.We get it....you like to smoke weed.

StoopTroup
6/21/2011, 10:13 PM
We get it....you like to smoke weed.

A lot. He's gonna die soon so it doesn't really matter especially if he's smoking that **** they sell around the Schools. Wet Brain sucks.

MR2-Sooner86
6/22/2011, 05:18 AM
We get it....you like to smoke weed.

Actually no it has been a while since I've touched it. The drug test I just passed (hair) will back me up. What I don't like is a government strong-arming and blowing money on something that's no worse than what I can get at Bob's Bar or pharmacy.

I just showed the government talking out both sides of their mouth but nobody seems to notice and nobody seems to care. It's just to "keep them stupid hippies from smokin" so why should they? It doesn't bother them even if the whole thing smells of hypocrisy. Except this same government is trying to run healthcare, social security, foreign policy, the economy, etc. Don't worry though, they're just trying to protect us from ourselves. They're actually in the right on this issue and wouldn't mess up anything else.

Go back to sleep everybody. We don't need to think as obviously our elected officials can do all of it for us. Why care? Why worry?

StoopTroup
6/22/2011, 06:31 AM
Again...pot smokers, even some recent ex-pot smokers think they are the only ones that know squat about MJ. It's why it's probably never going to see the light of day as "Legal". Everytime someone defends that big Government or even State Government shouldn't be involved in something that isn't any worse than anything you can get at Joe's Bar or the Pharmacy, it's exactly like I'm preaching. It will end up being regulated as hell once it's legal and those of you that think you'll just start growing your own will probably need a growers license for personal use and you will then be a registered pot grower/user and the paranoia from that should be enough just to get any bill stopped and users will go back to just buying it from the street again and just realizing that they are wrong. It's not harmless and it has some psychological effects on long term users.

My Opinion Matters
6/22/2011, 08:31 AM
Why does anyone even give a **** if it's legal? I mean, really?

KantoSooner
6/22/2011, 08:41 AM
Basically because I'd kinid of like to light up at my local outdoor bar on a warm summer's evening and not get arrested.
It would be nice.

bigfatjerk
6/22/2011, 08:47 AM
qj3gnIGANhs

Jacie
6/22/2011, 08:51 AM
It's not harmless and it has some psychological effects on long term users.

At first I dismissed this statement but upon reflection I can see the truth in it. It has had a psychological affect . . . on you, and your only experience with it is from telling others online how awful it is. Now that is powerful stuff!

yermom
6/22/2011, 09:04 AM
The drug lobby has naked pictures of him somewhere

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 10:07 AM
I would roll a big fat one for this thread...but sad to say I am currently dry....

KantoSooner
6/22/2011, 10:10 AM
nothing quite like a bat the approximate size of my forearm and a quick nine holes of frisbee golf when it's 105 degrees outside...

olevetonahill
6/22/2011, 10:21 AM
Round 15 coming up.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1298437/gyi0064851114_extra_large.jpg

pphilfran
6/22/2011, 10:22 AM
Round 15 coming up.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1298437/gyi0064851114_extra_large.jpg

lol...

bigfatjerk
6/22/2011, 11:58 AM
fRcUA3BUFD4

bigfatjerk
6/22/2011, 02:12 PM
Barney Frank and Ron Paul will Introduce Legislation on Thursday to Fully Legalize Marijuana (http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/22/barney-frank-and-ron-paul-will)

Jammin'
6/22/2011, 02:36 PM
Barney Frank and Ron Paul will Introduce Legislation on Thursday to Fully Legalize Marijuana (http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/22/barney-frank-and-ron-paul-will)

wow.

The Profit
6/22/2011, 02:39 PM
wow.

Ron Paul is growing on me.

StoopTroup
6/22/2011, 02:54 PM
Ron Paul is growing on me.

So your admitting that Barney Franks is growing on you too. That's hawt!

Jammin'
6/22/2011, 03:00 PM

As long as Barney's not growing in him, it's okay.

sooner59
6/22/2011, 03:04 PM
It will most likely happen eventually. And it will probably have much more to do with state budgets than it does the stigma/morality/harm issue.

KantoSooner
6/22/2011, 03:16 PM
As long as Barney's not growing in him, it's okay.

How do you know that Barney's a pitcher? Always seemed a little catcher-ish to me.

Jammin'
6/22/2011, 03:17 PM
How do you know that Barney's a pitcher? Always seemed a little catcher-ish to me.

You've ask a good question to which I have no good answer.

DBrown
6/22/2011, 03:20 PM
scary thought here....imagine cross-polinating weed with kudzu or wisteria.

Mississippi Sooner
6/22/2011, 03:23 PM
scary thought here....imagine cross-polinating weed with kudzu or wisteria.

Well, if we could get stoned off of kudzu I'd have a bumper crop around my house.

NormanPride
6/22/2011, 03:25 PM
If weed flowed like water, would there be war?

Mississippi Sooner
6/22/2011, 03:28 PM
If weed flowed like water, would there be war?

Yes, but the guns would only fire rainbows of happiness.

And the MREs would be filled with Twinkies and Taco Bell.

KantoSooner
6/22/2011, 03:28 PM
Much like chimps and bonobos. Genetically identical (well, close enough). Chimps are evil little bastards and have even perfected primitive war parties, complete with weapons. They practice extreme sexual competition. Bonobos hang out, sleep alot and play with the little ones. They are the original sluts. All ****in' all the time.
Maybe we need to do more happy than uptight?

The Profit
6/22/2011, 03:43 PM

I've always liked Ole Barney, but Paul is running for the big office. If he runs on the promise of legalization of weed, I might have to vote for him.

KantoSooner
6/22/2011, 04:40 PM
I have his slogan!

"**** the village"

He's like the anti-Hillary.

bigfatjerk
6/22/2011, 04:47 PM
I've always liked Ole Barney, but Paul is running for the big office. If he runs on the promise of legalization of weed, I might have to vote for him.

I'm sure this would be part of his fiscal policy but there's a lot bigger fish to fry first. And even if we end the federal drug war. States won't all make it legal.

StoopTroup
6/22/2011, 07:45 PM
I wonder if Barney has only one bullet in his pocket?

MR2-Sooner86
6/22/2011, 08:04 PM
Greg I like you but you make some conclusions I don't get.

Again...pot smokers, even some recent ex-pot smokers think they are the only ones that know squat about MJ.

I use to be anti-marijuana so bad I thought we should lock up anybody who even touched the stuff for life. I thought marijuana users were thugs and contributed nothing to society. They were brain-dead idiots who were nothing but trouble makers and were a lost cause. Then I saw people smoking it, normal people. My parents told me they smoked until they decided to have me. My dad smoked through college, bachelor of science information technology with a minor in business, and into his job which he retired from after 33 years last year. My friend in EMS smokes and they say that upwards of 75% of EMS co-workers they know do. I know a school administrator that smokes.

Are they evil? No, they're just normal people living their lives.

When I saw, what appeared to be average people, I started to look things up. I started to read both sides of the argument. I saw that I, along with all Americans, had been tricked. At this time I saw a chance to try it and I did. Did I die, become psychotic, want to try heroin, or anything I was told while growing up? No, and I saw no change in my life. In fact my worst semester in college was when I was drinking, not smoking, heavily.

It's why it's probably never going to see the light of day as "Legal".

California is going to vote again in 2012 on whether or not to legalize it. They've already decriminalized it. The law came pretty close last time and wasn't a big negative landslide many would think. The only real problem was the wording and the medical growers afraid they'd be run out of business. The legalization crowd is starting to get organized and really make a push and it looks like they're not giving up.

I see a state really challenge federal law within the next 10 years.

Everytime someone defends that big Government or even State Government shouldn't be involved in something that isn't any worse than anything you can get at Joe's Bar or the Pharmacy, it's exactly like I'm preaching.

I've never said states should legalize it. I just want the federal government to end it's war. It's $35 billion a year we'd be saving at least. If the states want to continue with going after it with their own money then they have that power to. I don't see many states doing that if they have to foot the bill themselves.

Besides, has the money spent on the War on Drugs worked?

Reagan was the hardest president on drugs and did he help anything? No, things only got worse.

The past three U.S. presidents have smoked.

Many politicians have admitted to doing it at one point or another.

Data show a third of the United States population has done it at one point in their lives.

Data shows around 40% of 12th graders have at least tried it.

Why are we throwing more money, time, and resources at the War on Drugs when it doesn't stop the flow of drugs into the country, keeps people from doing drugs, and lowers the number of people trying or doing drugs?

It will end up being regulated as hell once it's legal and those of you that think you'll just start growing your own will probably need a growers license for personal use and you will then be a registered pot grower/user and the paranoia from that should be enough just to get any bill stopped and users will go back to just buying it from the street again and just realizing that they are wrong.

I don't even get this. We should keep it illegal because people might be afraid of the restrictions you could get from growing it? I don't follow this logic. So what if most people can't grow it? Most people I know don't want to grow it and don't care to. Most people just want to be able to go down to the store, buy a pack, and go home, that's it.

It's not harmless and it has some psychological effects on long term users.

I've seen studies say it's bad, like alcohol, less harmful than alcohol, helps the brain, helps Alzheimer's, makes Alzheimer's worse, causes mental problems, has no effect on mental problems, etc.

The only thing that seems to link all studies together is they say, "it can't be confirmed and has more to do with the user/genetics than the drug." Of course, as I showed earlier, we can't study it allot due to the government's tight control on research and what they want to see.

Now, here's a video for everybody.

This man, Irvin Rosenfeld, receives medical marijuana from the federal government.
He holds the Guinness World Record for smoking more marijuana than anybody (115,000 at last count).
He has been smoking, legally, for over 25 years.
He trades stocks as a VP of sales at his firm.
He has no cases of mental illness.
He hasn't developed lung cancer.

NSFW drops the "F-bomb" once but the above information is what it's about.
wQS910WVlKc

This man has, legally, smoked more marijuana than anybody in the world. So tell me, what's wrong with him? What about him scares you?

StoopTroup
6/22/2011, 08:09 PM
I wasn't talking just about you.

I never knew it could give you a vanity flashback. :D ;)

StoopTroup
6/22/2011, 08:25 PM
I think the locking up of users is silly.

You know...I don't think I'd be against folks buying it and growing it for themselves for their personal use if they were diagnosed and if their job didn't drug test or care if they used it at work.

Where I would increase the penalty is if you sold off your crops. If you had an illness and it was prescribed by a Doctor in the smoke it form I'd be OK for it too. It's this habitual way of life and folks who make a living off of it that bug me. Legalizing it will just make it a way to collect taxes. If you need this stuff they should just supply you with it until you can grow it hydroponicly so that it has very little cost to the patient. The seeds could be provided as well as the hydroponic kits through Hospice and collected once the patients illness was better or they passed away. If they were unable to grow it do to their illness then packs of the drug could be distributed.

Any use of the drug by people who were not patients should be hit with huge fines and the patient would then need to go to a clinic where they would be monitored same as a Chemotherapy session.

I just think this stuff about people getting it written by some wacko in Cailfornia who is just basically a legal pusher is a bunch of BS.

MR2-Sooner86
6/22/2011, 09:56 PM

Not so much marijuana but users of harder drugs like meth truly need help.

You know...I don't think I'd be against folks buying it and growing it for themselves for their personal use if they were diagnosed and if their job didn't drug test or care if they used it at work.

If their employer is against it, the person has to decide what they want more. It's like that episode of 20/20 I saw where the guy fired people for smoking cigarettes and thought it was a "negative image" for his company.

Where I would increase the penalty is if you sold off your crops.

Agreed I think it should be like wine or beer. I don't know what the law would be but you're allowed to make so much in regards to beer or wine. If you go over that they'll nail you with taxes and fines.

If you had an illness and it was prescribed by a Doctor in the smoke it form I'd be OK for it too.

I think humidifiers are best. Of course that marijuana butter they make which they can put into a number of foods also works.

It's this habitual way of life and folks who make a living off of it that bug me.

People make money off all sorts of things that you may not like.

I personally think all of those mothers who enter their five year olds into beauty pageants, makeup and all, should be shot on sight.

When all of those cigarette CEOs went before Congress saying, "I don't believe cigarettes are addictive" I wish I could've knock the hell out of them.

With that said, I'd rather the money be taxes going to a congressman than in the black market going to the gangs in Mexico.

Legalizing it will just make it a way to collect taxes. If you need this stuff they should just supply you with it until you can grow it hydroponicly so that it has very little cost to the patient. The seeds could be provided as well as the hydroponic kits through Hospice and collected once the patients illness was better or they passed away. If they were unable to grow it do to their illness then packs of the drug could be distributed.

When my grandma had cancer she took morphine mixed in with her oxygen tank provided by Hospice. I think you could do the same with a vaporizer. That way the family can still be there and only the patient gets the drug. Not to mention with a vaporizer you can control the dosage as in how much the patient gets through a valve.

True, somebody can still abuse it but they'd have to put on the mask to get the vaporizer fumes. The same could be done with the morphine gas many Hospice patients get.

Any use of the drug by people who were not patients should be hit with huge fines and the patient would then need to go to a clinic where they would be monitored same as a Chemotherapy session.

I think a vaporizer should be given before and during the chemotherapy session. From what I've understood that's the ideal time for the drug to work. That way after chemotherapy the drug has kicked in and the patient feels like eating and not so sick. So really they wouldn't need it at home except maybe very small amounts. The large amounts being, as said, during the actual chemotherapy.

In a situation, like with my grandma, a vaporizer giving the drug in small doses would be fine. That way not too much is given out for abuse by family or friends but the patient is at ease with what they get.

I just think this stuff about people getting it written by some wacko in Cailfornia who is just basically a legal pusher is a bunch of BS.

I'll admit medical marijuana is nothing more than a loophole push for legalization. Yes, there are people who I think could really use, and need, the drug. The people with a back ache though are not it.

I just wish the people would come out and say it. I hate how they act like an ingrown toenail is like leukemia so they need marijuana. Everybody knows what's going on so just admit it and stop trying to BS us.

KantoSooner
6/23/2011, 08:41 AM

Where I would increase the penalty is if you sold off your crops. If you had an illness and it was prescribed by a Doctor in the smoke it form I'd be OK for it too. It's this habitual way of life and folks who make a living off of it that bug me. Legalizing it will just make it a way to collect taxes. If you need this stuff they should just supply you with it until you can grow it hydroponicly so that it has very little cost to the patient. The seeds could be provided as well as the hydroponic kits through Hospice and collected once the patients illness was better or they passed away. If they were unable to grow it do to their illness then packs of the drug could be distributed.

What is it about government control that gives you such a stiffie? We all know that, if legalized, there's going to be a hell of a lot of home growing. That's simply because the plant requires no further processing prior to use; unlike, say, wine, beer or distilled liquors. Taxation is no more daunting than taxing alcohol sales and will likely result in about the same level of evasion.

I don't know what you hope to achieve by first 'legalizing' and then turning use into some sort of in-patient deal. It's a recreational drug, just like tobacco and alcohol. If you legalize it, people are going to pass the doobie around. If you don't legalize it, people will....well, do what they've been doing for the last 100 years: laugh at the law, buy their weed illegally and smoke it anyway.

bigfatjerk
6/23/2011, 09:52 AM
What is it about government control that gives you such a stiffie? We all know that, if legalized, there's going to be a hell of a lot of home growing. That's simply because the plant requires no further processing prior to use; unlike, say, wine, beer or distilled liquors. Taxation is no more daunting than taxing alcohol sales and will likely result in about the same level of evasion.

I don't know what you hope to achieve by first 'legalizing' and then turning use into some sort of in-patient deal. It's a recreational drug, just like tobacco and alcohol. If you legalize it, people are going to pass the doobie around. If you don't legalize it, people will....well, do what they've been doing for the last 100 years: laugh at the law, buy their weed illegally and smoke it anyway.

Exactly if you legalize it you can pretty much do what we do with alcohol and tabacco. Tax it and try and make sure kids don't do it. There's also laws and rules against using alcohol and tabacco in public places.

I see nothing wrong with any of these rules. In other words making it legal will make it harder to access in some ways.

Jacie
6/23/2011, 12:15 PM
My dad used to say that it was easier to get a drink in Oklahoma before it was legal (talking about the end of OK's prohibition in 1959).

Given the ease with which marijuana can be planted, grown and harvested I am not sure it would be like that but usually legalization leads to control, which is something that does not exist now.

StoopTroup
6/23/2011, 12:38 PM
My dad used to say that it was easier to get a drink in Oklahoma before it was legal (talking about the end of OK's prohibition in 1959).

Given the ease with which marijuana can be planted, grown and harvested I am not sure it would be like that but usually legalization leads to control, which is something that does not exist now.

I still find it hard to fathom that a substance that is inhaled into the lungs for the effect of getting high would become legal when the attack on Tobacco is as bad as it is. Just this week NYC just banned tobacco smoking in their parks.

I was at the Tulsa Courthouse a week ago and they have 8" wide red lines that are around 30 feet on each side of the entrance. They will fine you if you violate the rule and smoke anywhere inside the line.

Bars and Restaurants across this Country have been forced into being Smoke Free.

I know it seems crazy prosecuting folks for pot and putting them into prison too. I do know that there are a good number of folks who get pulled over driving drunk with pot in the Car. Now....do you think they were just drunk or were they stoned too? Are you going to legalize driving Stoned?

Not a chance.

Anyone that thinks legalizing weed won't be controlled is crazy.

Kanto.....I don't really have a problem with controls....but a lot of folks that want MJ legalized want it legal so when they are at a concert or a bar or a Restaurant or wherever...they can light up and not give a **** what anyone else thinks.

That's what will happen too.

I do think it needs to be considered for medicinal use and that it can be used by people who have been given the OK by a real Doctor.

Now....when you start to think about this....what's going to happen to folks who are on Oxygen? Are their Doctors going to be able to tell those folks to light up and get stoned while on oxygen? No they won't. Again...they will more than likely give them Marinol or whatever might be developed later than might work better and have less side effects.

What's funny about Marinol is that it is a pure form of the drug that people smokes and it has serious side effects. How can Marinol have such things and supposedly The pot smokers who use it in the smoke form swear that it has zero side effects?

Again....it really goes back to the fact that the reason folks want it legalized is so they can grow it and smoke it. It has nothing to do with anything but that. The reason it's not legal is that our Country is afraid they can't control it.

KantoSooner
6/23/2011, 01:10 PM
I'm really striving to figure out your argument.

Here's the basic deal. Right now, after over 100 years of 'war on drugs' we have a situation in which a large percentage of the population has utterly rejected the law. the law, which we have jiggered with for a century is an utter failure. Access to MJ could not be easier and no reasonable regulation as to quality, purity, age of use etc is in effect. Further, we fund vicious criminal gangs with the money spent.

I am not, nor would any thinking person be, opposed to age limits, location limits and activity limits (such as, for one, driving). I would want commercial sellers to be licensed and to pay taxes (though I do suspect that quite a bit would be grown and used by individuals in the privacy of their homes...and they would probably also share with like minded friends in the same manner you get a buddy a beer from your fridge when he comes over.)

I don't get the concerns about health. A) we would not, I would hope, somehow demand people smoke in hospitals or even allow it. Likewise with other 'sensitive locations'. B) We allow plenty of moronic activities under the heading of individual freedom. Is skydiving 'necessary'? How about 250 HP bass boats?

This isn't about health. No matter what 'side effects' are discovered, any fool can tell you that inhaling smoke into your lungs will not be a positive. Whether its from burning plastic, burning MJ or burning hickory in your barbecue. Smoke in Lungs = Bad.

it 's about personal freedom and about the insanity of tryinig to prohibit what such a large portion of our society wants to do and will do, law or no law. (and we could argue about percentages, but I think we can agree that if pot use is at a level that anyone can define as a 'problem' then you are, ipso facto, dealing with a 'large' group of people.)

It's time to declare victory and call off the war. At least where pot is concerned.

StoopTroup
6/23/2011, 01:44 PM
There is no war. There are just a few of you who are really really high and in need of seeing a Doctor about your drug abuse.

thecynic
6/23/2011, 02:46 PM
all this talk about pot makes me want to go get stoned.

KantoSooner
6/23/2011, 02:55 PM
What if the guy I get stoned and watch cartoons with is my doctor?

sooner59
6/23/2011, 04:10 PM
What if the guy I get stoned and watch cartoons with is my doctor?

In that case... As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit of this acid.

http://prettycoolforaniconodule.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-3-800.jpg

KantoSooner
6/23/2011, 04:23 PM
Frankly, that's an idea with powerful juju recommending it today.

A frame or two of windowpane, a brisk turn around the back roads of Osage County in my neighbor's Solstice (silly boy, went out of town and left me the keys and instructions to exercise the lady now and again) and then move the tv out close to the pool so we can concentrate on televised sport and martinis. A PLAN, BYGOD!

StoopTroup
6/23/2011, 04:27 PM
Does your neighbor know you are a drug addict?

KantoSooner
6/23/2011, 04:40 PM
He's my doctor/supplier.

SpankyNek
6/23/2011, 04:51 PM
Windowpane is NOT addictive.

StoopTroup
6/23/2011, 04:56 PM
He's my doctor/supplier.

I wish you could of seen the question I deleted before the one I posted.....lol

sooner59
6/23/2011, 05:14 PM
ST is laughing it up while smoking a doobie and posting in this thread. :D:D:D

StoopTroup
6/23/2011, 05:15 PM
lol

StoopTroup
6/23/2011, 05:18 PM
Can you get rolling papers at QT?

sooner59
6/23/2011, 05:47 PM
I'll go check. BRB

jumperstop
6/23/2011, 07:00 PM
I'll go check. BRB

Must have gotten sidetracked....:rolleyes:

MR2-Sooner86
6/23/2011, 07:12 PM
If QuikTrip sold pot it would forever cement itself as, still, the greatest convenience store in the history of humanity.

I mean it's already built for the munchies. QT Kitchen? **** yeah!

KantoSooner
6/24/2011, 08:56 AM
They should also have a button you can push on the slushie machine to add shots of rum. yum.