PDA

View Full Version : Did these guys really play in the Missouri Game?

cccasooner2
4/19/2011, 01:42 PM
This was asked before, and apparently nobody knew or cared to answer.

Oklahoma: 1-Jefferson,Tony, 1D-Harris,Lamar, 1B-Stevens,Jimmy, 1A-Box,Austin, 2-Franks,Trey, 5-Ibiloye,Joseph, 8B-Winchester,Jam, 8-Caleb,Brandon, 9-Lynn,Gabe, 13-Trice,Marcus, 14-Colvin,Aaron, 17-Madu,Mossis, 22-Finch,Roy, 25-Nelson,Corey, 27-Proctor,Sam, 30-Harris,Javon, 33-Millard,Trey, 35-Winters, Julian, 36-Way,Tress, 38-Bradley,Derric, 42-Paulsen,Jesse, 43-O'Hara,Patrick, 47-Ratterree,T., 55-Bird,Jaydan, 58-Humphrey,Eric, 68-Irwin,Bronson, 71-Thompson,Tyrus, 77-Good,Stephen, 88-McClain,S., 91-Washington,R.J., 94-Macon,Pryce, 96-Peterson,T., 97-Mcfarland,Jama.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/07_mu.html#GAME.PRE

usaosooner
4/19/2011, 02:21 PM
Don't think so

Whet
4/19/2011, 02:36 PM
special teams.

85sooners
4/19/2011, 03:12 PM
Don't know

cccasooner2
4/19/2011, 03:16 PM
special teams.

So special teams does not count against a red shirt?

starclassic tama
4/19/2011, 03:17 PM
if i'm not mistaken, you can play a certain percentage of snaps over the season and keep your redshirt.

cccasooner2
4/19/2011, 03:24 PM
if i'm not mistaken, you can play a certain percentage of snaps over the season and keep your redshirt.

That is my real question. :)

rekamrettuB
4/19/2011, 03:33 PM

I believe this is the case for a medical redshirt...of course you have to get injured. If you step on the field for the last play of the season, redshirt is gone.

OU_Sooners75
4/19/2011, 03:42 PM

Yeah, you would be mistaken.

Any participation (meaning one play) be it on offense, defense, or special teams, strips a player of their redshirt. They can still be redshirted another season though.

So, if a player that is said to be redshirted for that season steps on the field of play and takes in just one play for the enitre season, they are no longer eligible for a redshirt for that season.

Redshirts are not confirmed until after the season, even though a coach can deem a player is being redshirted before the season or at any point in the season as long as they haven't played one down or play.

JLEW1818
4/19/2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, you would be mistaken. Any participation (meaning one play) be it on offense, defense, or special teams, strips a player of their redshirt. They can still be redshirted another season though.

So, if a player that is said to be redshirted for that season steps on the field of play and takes in just one play for the enitre season, they are no longer eligible for a redshirt for that season.

Redshirts are not confirmed until after the season, even though a coach can deem a player is being redshirted before the season or at any point in the season as long as they haven't played one down or play.

:D

OU_Sooners75
4/19/2011, 04:30 PM
I wasn't trying to be a smartass. But it is not hard to actually google info on what you may or may not be sure about.

There is no grey area when it comes to redshirt in college sports. You play one play, set, golf swing, etc, you are no longer eligible for a redshirt that season. It isn't based on a percent of play in a year.

goingoneight
4/19/2011, 06:36 PM
Well, yeah... until coach helps you fake an injury. :D

SoonerGibb7
4/19/2011, 06:44 PM
No they did not play. I know Eric Humphrey and he did not see the field at all last year

oudavid1
4/19/2011, 09:28 PM
I know Julian Winters and Sheldon McClain did not play a single snap. This is an error.

starclassic tama
4/19/2011, 09:35 PM
I wasn't trying to be a smartass. But it is not hard to actually google info on what you may or may not be sure about.

There is no grey area when it comes to redshirt in college sports. You play one play, set, golf swing, etc, you are no longer eligible for a redshirt that season. It isn't based on a percent of play in a year.

An exception is the so-called medical red shirt, where a player goes down with a season ending injury. In that event, the medical red shirt may be applied for, assuming the player participated in no more than 25% of the season - normally three games - after the completion of his normal eligibility.

via google

IronHorseSooner
4/20/2011, 07:43 AM
From what I understand, T. Peterson sat out all of last year while he got healthy enough to play this year. So, I agree with David, this has to be an error.

swardboy
4/20/2011, 08:08 AM
I'll believe it when David tweets it....

OU_Sooners75
4/20/2011, 11:06 AM
An exception is the so-called medical red shirt, where a player goes down with a season ending injury. In that event, the medical red shirt may be applied for, assuming the player participated in no more than 25% of the season - normally three games - after the completion of his normal eligibility.

via google

Well, damn good thing you found that on google...because here is what the NCAA says, not google!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Legislation+and+Governance/Eligibility+and+Recruiting/Faqs/eligibility_seasons.html

Redshirt Definition
The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Please contact the certifying institution or conference for additional information. You also may contact the NCAA membership services staff at 317/917-6222 if you have further questions.
What you are trying to describe is a medical hardship, not a redshirt.

This link describes the difference:

http://www.msu.edu/user/msuncaa/Medical%20Hardship%20Waivers.pdf

The difference, if you are not hurt, yet you do not play, you do not have to petition the NCAA for an extra year. If you do play and you do get hurt for the majority of the season, then you must petition the NCAA to get eligible again for another season.

Whet
4/20/2011, 11:22 AM
So the participation report is wrong!

Mississippi Sooner
4/20/2011, 11:26 AM
I'm cancelling my subscription. :mad:

oudavid1
4/20/2011, 12:55 PM
From what I understand, T. Peterson sat out all of last year while he got healthy enough to play this year. So, I agree with David, this has to be an error.

Yes sir!

I'll believe it when David tweets it....

I could just tweet Sheldon and ask him

So the participation report is wrong!

yep

I'm cancelling my subscription. :mad:

thats what im thinking