can't wait for July 15th

stoops the eternal pimp
4/19/2011, 11:34 AM
gheyness

StoopTroup
4/19/2011, 11:48 AM
heh. I'm a big big big Potter fan!

can't wait for July 15th

That's my Birthday so bring chapstick for your lips.

C&CDean
4/19/2011, 02:09 PM
I watched it last night too. If you've read the books, it's one of the best movies. If you haven't, I don't think you'd enjoy it much. The POS copy momma bought at the Walmarts cut off right after Dobby croaked.

jumperstop
4/19/2011, 02:20 PM
I watched it last night too. If you've read the books, it's one of the best movies. If you haven't, I don't think you'd enjoy it much. The POS copy momma bought at the Walmarts cut off right after Dobby croaked.

Haven't read the book, but I enjoyed it. I read all the others but could never get around to reading the last one. The books aren't all that great...neither are the movies. They are entertaining, but the gf has probably seen the last one 30 plus times since it's been on tv.

What I think is dumb is they release the entire set 1-6 and 7 part one. Why would anyone bu the set minus the last movie?

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/19/2011, 02:22 PM
I am just going to get it on Netflix (I saw it in theatre) and wait until the last one comes out to buy the whole set.

C&CDean
4/19/2011, 02:24 PM
Haven't read the book, but I enjoyed it. I read all the others but could never get around to reading the last one. The books aren't all that great...neither are the movies. They are entertaining, but the gf has probably seen the last one 30 plus times since it's been on tv.

What I think is dumb is they release the entire set 1-6 and 7 part one. Why would anyone bu the set minus the last movie?

Know how I know you're a liar?

jumperstop
4/19/2011, 02:29 PM

Nothing I said was false....

JLEW1818
4/19/2011, 02:36 PM
I've read all the books and seen all the movies so far.

she is very gifted

C&CDean
4/19/2011, 03:08 PM
Nothing I said was false....

Either you have not read all the books, or your name is Dexter Manley. "the books aren't all that great..." is as false a statement as could be made. You can say "I don't like the genre" or "I don't like British literature" or "I just ain't into reading" but you can't say the books aren't "all that great." Rowling can tell a story like very few others.

Mongo
4/19/2011, 03:12 PM
http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/revenge-of-the-nerds_0.jpg

My Opinion Matters
4/19/2011, 03:13 PM
Harry Potter is like Twilight for a younger crowd.

My Opinion Matters
4/19/2011, 03:14 PM

I don't actually believe this, but I figure it will move the discussion in an interesting direction.

C&CDean
4/19/2011, 03:15 PM
You just saved yourself. Barely.

My Opinion Matters
4/19/2011, 03:16 PM
Ah, come on Dean! Unleash the nerd fury!

C&CDean
4/19/2011, 03:18 PM
I shant be baited by shady Slytherin tactics.

Fraggle145
4/19/2011, 03:25 PM

You are stupid.

Fraggle145
4/19/2011, 03:25 PM
I don't actually believe this, but I figure it will move the discussion in an interesting direction.

I suck at the internet.

sooner_born_1960
4/19/2011, 03:28 PM
... but the gf has probably...

I thought it was the gf reference.

jumperstop
4/19/2011, 03:31 PM
Either you have not read all the books, or your name is Dexter Manley. "the books aren't all that great..." is as false a statement as could be made. You can say "I don't like the genre" or "I don't like British literature" or "I just ain't into reading" but you can't say the books aren't "all that great." Rowling can tell a story like very few others.

They're good, not great...People camping out over night to be the first in line to read them? Not worth it. They are good but one thing I don't like about her books are it seems like something appears in book 6 and it's a major part of the story, but it hasn't even been mentioned in the first 5 books. A good writter shouldn't have to resort to making stuff up to complete the story, they would already have the entire series in their head and all the books would flow together. The continuity between each HP isn't all that great. There are much better book series out there than HP. And I read the first 6 books about 5 or 6 years ago and loved them, but started reading the last one before the 7th film came out and I couldn't get past the first chapter. Looking back now, my judgement is they are good, not great...

As for the films they all seem to be in fast foward skip mode and don't even touch on many of the more interesting parts of the books.

1890MilesToNorman
4/19/2011, 03:34 PM
Say hi to Major Burns for me.

C&CDean
4/19/2011, 03:41 PM
They're good, not great...People camping out over night to be the first in line to read them? Not worth it. They are good but one thing I don't like about her books are it seems like something appears in book 6 and it's a major part of the story, but it hasn't even been mentioned in the first 5 books. A good writter shouldn't have to resort to making stuff up to complete the story, they would already have the entire series in their head and all the books would flow together. The continuity between each HP isn't all that great. There are much better book series out there than HP. And I read the first 6 books about 5 or 6 years ago and loved them, but started reading the last one before the 7th film came out and I couldn't get past the first chapter. Looking back now, my judgement is they are good, not great...

As for the films they all seem to be in fast foward skip mode and don't even touch on many of the more interesting parts of the books.

Ah, marijuana. It explains so much.

My Opinion Matters
4/19/2011, 03:55 PM
You are stupid.

I suck at the internet.

http://i53.tinypic.com/wvrj8k.jpg

jumperstop
4/19/2011, 04:23 PM
Ah, marijuana. It explains so much.

I don't see your connection with anything I said to marijuana.

JLEW1818
4/19/2011, 04:28 PM
what she did with Snape .....

very few humans could ever do that. over a 10year? span.

Thaumaturge
4/19/2011, 07:05 PM
The books are good, for children's books. They are really only of passing interest to adults with a taste for wizards and wizardry.

AlboSooner
4/19/2011, 07:19 PM
harry potter-Sauron takes HP-ring from dead HP-Gandalf and fights HP-Frodo, in the end HP-Sauron is defeated. HP-Samwise Gamgee marries HP-Roise.

DIB
4/19/2011, 08:02 PM
Aren't the Harry Potter books written for kids? Never understood why so many adults like them. I guess I wouldn't understand, since I mostly read literature and non-fiction.

Thaumaturge
4/19/2011, 08:51 PM
Aren't the Harry Potter books written for kids? Never understood why so many adults like them. I guess I wouldn't understand, since I mostly read literature and non-fiction.

Some adults like the whimsy of a wizarding world seen through the eyes of pubescent children in the midst of having their innocence ripped away from them one by one. Make of it what you will.

usmc-sooner
4/19/2011, 09:07 PM
you guys are grownups right? I mean you have jobs, pubes, pay taxes?

AlboSooner
4/19/2011, 10:19 PM
Pubes are important.

Fraggle145
4/19/2011, 11:09 PM
Maybe some of us just want to read a good story instead of the serious bull**** that we have to read the rest of the time.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/19/2011, 11:12 PM
James Bond would beat Harry Potter's ***.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/20/2011, 12:29 AM
I would judge all y'all, but I read Star Wars books. And watch the TV show on Cartoon Network.

God I have problems...

C&CDean
4/20/2011, 10:17 AM
Some adults like the whimsy of a wizarding world seen through the eyes of pubescent children in the midst of having their innocence ripped away from them one by one. Make of it what you will.

Another pothead who's never read them. Cool.

saucysoonergal
4/20/2011, 10:18 AM
I agree with Dean. You haters are dooshnozzles.

C&CDean
4/20/2011, 10:23 AM
So far, the only adults I've met who "don't like the books" are adults who have never read them. You know who I'm talking about, those pretentious dicks who think they're above it all. Those that prefer "literature and non-fiction."

I feel sorry for those folks who aren't rounded out enough to enjoy all types of reading material and who cannot recognize once-in-a-lifetime talent.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/20/2011, 11:21 AM
I think you are forgetting another class of people, those that read the Enquirer and People Magazine and haven't read more than 2 books in their life.

saucysoonergal
4/20/2011, 11:24 AM
I think you are forgetting another class of people, those that read the Enquirer and People Magazine and haven't read more than 2 books in their life.

Ah, OSU grads.

;)

Thaumaturge
4/20/2011, 12:08 PM
So far, the only adults I've met who "don't like the books" are adults who have never read them. You know who I'm talking about, those pretentious dicks who think they're above it all. Those that prefer "literature and non-fiction."

I feel sorry for those folks who aren't rounded out enough to enjoy all types of reading material and who cannot recognize once-in-a-lifetime talent.

I admire your enthusiasm for JK Rowling. Adult literacy is very important and anything that promotes it is A-OK in my book. ;)

If you're looking for more whimsical stories of fantasy and adventure, I'd recommend "The Tale of Despereaux." It was a Newbery Medal winner.

Mississippi Sooner
4/20/2011, 12:19 PM
An author can be very popular and still be very talented. Most of Stephen King's stories come from stock material, but his character development skills are amazing. Rowling, on the other hand, is ok at character development, but her real talent lies in how she tells the backstory without ever breaking stride in the pace of the current storyline. That's a talent that many novelists never quite master.

pphilfran
4/20/2011, 12:23 PM
You are stupid.

Common adolescent response...

pphilfran
4/20/2011, 12:24 PM
Lord of the Rings > Harry Potter

saucysoonergal
4/20/2011, 12:38 PM
Lord of the Rings > Harry Potter

WRONG!!!!

LOTR fans=pocket protector nerds!

HP fans=cool kids with great taste.

pphilfran
4/20/2011, 12:42 PM
WRONG!!!!

LOTR fans=pocket protector nerds!

HP fans=cool kids with great taste.

Wrong...Harry would run in fear from Mt. Doom and the Eye....

saucysoonergal
4/20/2011, 12:43 PM

Point proven.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/20/2011, 01:41 PM
So you are saying Stephen Colbert is a pocket protector nerd?

saucysoonergal
4/20/2011, 01:43 PM
The Smarmy comedian on Comedy Central? If he likes LOTR, then sure. ;)

C&CDean
4/20/2011, 01:49 PM

This debate was settled in the year 4BOUI. Dumbledore ***-raped the poseur Gandalf the Gray with the elder wand while Gandalf was fantasizing about going down on Frodo. It's pretty much common knowledge.

sappstuf
4/20/2011, 02:20 PM
This debate was settled in the year 4BOUI. Dumbledore ***-raped the poseur Gandalf the Gray with the elder wand while Gandalf was fantasizing about going down on Frodo. It's pretty much common knowledge.

Sh**, Dumbledore is quivering in the corner trying to figure out just who the **** Tom Bombadil was...

This posts adds to my nerd points for the day keeping my qualifications up to date.

Boarder
4/20/2011, 02:25 PM
[to the tune of George of the Jungle]

Dorks Dorks
Dork Dork Da Dork Dorks
Dork Dork Ga Ga Geeks

Ardmore_Sooner
4/20/2011, 02:37 PM

Isn't Dumbledore the one that likes playing with other guys wands?

C&CDean
4/20/2011, 03:44 PM
Isn't Dumbledore the one that likes playing with other guys wands?

NTTAWWT

SpankyNek
4/20/2011, 03:51 PM
Maybe some of us just want to read a good story instead of the serious bull**** that we have to read the rest of the time.

Read some Tom Robbins.

I would recommend Still Life with Woodpecker and Skinny Legs and All

C&CDean
4/20/2011, 04:03 PM
I admire your enthusiasm for JK Rowling. Adult literacy is very important and anything that promotes it is A-OK in my book. ;)

If you're looking for more whimsical stories of fantasy and adventure, I'd recommend "The Tale of Despereaux." It was a Newbery Medal winner.

Well hell, Hermione Granger is in it so it's gotta be good.

Actually, I also enjoy this guy very much:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Drizzt.png