PDA

View Full Version : Take a few moments tomorrow....

StoopTroup
4/18/2011, 11:43 PM
Stop and then take a moment of silence Please....

http://www.durangotexas.com/eyesontexas/pix/okc/murrah9_small.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bBlNFyLU7Ik/S8yPEkMETAI/AAAAAAAAAho/kLxFfnIuWLk/s1600/baylee.jpg

http://www.barnezy.com/Pics/OKC%20Bombing%20Memorial%20Wall%203.jpg

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2007/08/13/20070813_murrah_2.jpg

http://merrymerryquitecontrary.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/oklahoma-city-memorial-1.jpg

TIA....

SouthCarolinaSooner
4/18/2011, 11:48 PM
I'll never forget my visit to the Memorial there. Just unbelievable

MamaMia
4/19/2011, 12:30 AM
We have an 8 year old child in our family named after Cartney McRaven. She was a friend. She had just been married four days before. :(

hawaii 5-0
4/19/2011, 12:33 AM
I was in that building once.

I've been to the Memorial.

Thanks for the reminder of observance of the tragedy.

5-0

SoonerNate
4/19/2011, 12:37 AM
I was a senior in HS. A good friend of mine lost his father another friend's mother survived but lost her hearing.

Sucked having to march through graduation at the Myriad with that being on everyone's minds. We were there the day before on a field trip across the street at the courthouse.

God I hate those memories.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/19/2011, 12:59 AM
I work in downtown OKC and go on walks during lunch from time to time. Every so often I head North and make my way through the memorial. Always remove my headphones and my hat. Get goosebumps every single time.

Such a senseless tragedy. So many lives lost for no reason. Sometimes we get upset about traffic, a sporting event, or a long line at a restaurant. Really puts things in perspective.

Take a moment of silence everyone. Whether for a second or a few minutes. Count your blessings, we truly have much to be thankful for. Seeing all the pictures of young children, all the toys on the fence outside is just too much for me to handle...

olevetonahill
4/19/2011, 01:01 AM
Cant believe its been 16 years

Ardmore_Sooner
4/19/2011, 01:05 AM
Cant believe its been 16 years

No kidding. I was in second grade. I'm laying in bed crying just thinking about it. Just hard to imagine what those families went through.

SoonerNate
4/19/2011, 01:06 AM
Senior year of high school- ("2nd hour") Edmond Memorial High in of all places a "current events" class. Basically an elective in which all we did was watch Headline News for 45 minutes and then discuss the news the remaining 15. My friend who sat directly to my right had a mother that worked in the Alfred P Murrah Building. Needless to say when the news broke he bolted. She lived but is deaf now. Another friend, not in my class lost his father in the bombing.

We had felt a rumble sort of like thunder minutes before but it was a blue sky day and we thought nothing of it.

Where were you on April 19, 1995 when you heard the news?

Fraggle145
4/19/2011, 01:48 AM
:(

MamaMia
4/19/2011, 03:40 AM
Everyone I know remembers exactly what they were doing when they found out what happened. My young son was there doing a student work study at a law firm at 11th and Robinson. Windows had been blown out. They were all huddled in the basement. For some reason, none of their phones were working. I knew about it fairly quickly because we were watching the tele. I said a prayer and dialed the number. His boss said they thought it was a war. I explained that the authorities thought there was a bombing and that the Murrah Federal building had been completely destroyed. He asked me to call the police to tell them that they were in the basement. I couldn't get through to the police and was unable to call them back. It was a scary nightmare. :(

Hot Rod
4/19/2011, 07:21 AM
I was in that building one week before it happened. My mother worked on the court house building just south of it. I was in Nashville at the time, when I woke up to see OKC on the news and this huge cloud of smoke. This is before the days of cell phone, so trying to make sure my mom was ok took over 2 hours.

Prayers/thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones on this day.

ouleaf
4/19/2011, 08:36 AM
Uh...Paul in...uh

TheHumanAlphabet
4/19/2011, 08:44 AM
Senior year of high school- ("2nd hour") Edmond Memorial High in of all places a "current events" class. Basically an elective in which all we did was watch Headline News for 45 minutes and then discuss the news the remaining 15. My friend who sat directly to my right had a mother that worked in the Alfred P Murrah Building. Needless to say when the news broke he bolted. She lived but is deaf now. Another friend, not in my class lost his father in the bombing.

We had felt a rumble sort of like thunder minutes before but it was a blue sky day and we thought nothing of it.

My wife was Band Director then at Edmond North. They were preparing to go to contest and she was waiting for the buses out in the front lobby. The bomb blast was strong enough at Edmond North to move the front doors in and out while she was waiting.

thecynic
4/19/2011, 08:49 AM
I was in the news business then and what happened that day and the weeks, months that followed I will always remember.
But mostly what I take away from this event is the kindness. It was when I became very proud to be an Oklahoman. We taught the world how to respond to a tragedy. In the law enforcement community it's now called "the Oklahoma standard"
People donated stuff, they came to help, there was little or no (other) crime for days. No looting. If the plea was put out that workers needed gloves within the hour there were thousands of gloves.
THAT'S what I remember most about this tragic event.

Wishboned
4/19/2011, 08:54 AM
I was living in Florida at the time. Only heard rumors and second hand accounts until I was able to get home and watch the news.

I went to The Memorial a few years back. Took the tour, and I held it together pretty well until I saw a lone sneaker from one of the children.

OhU1
4/19/2011, 08:58 AM
I was 5 miles south at work. I remember a lot of things I did that day, the night before, and the next day. Strange how an event will stamp your mind.

StoopTroup
4/19/2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone.....

soonerbrat
4/19/2011, 09:12 AM

I was at my house, getting ready to go to class. My daughter was 2. I had a biochem test that morning. I lived about 2 miles from the site at the time..it shook my old house, rattled the windows and knocked my daughter down...I had to prevent myself from falling. my husband called right after but he had been driving around and didn't hear it. He was at the hardware store and called to ask me the model number of our dryer so he could get a part for it. I told him there was a loud boom and he said it was probably a sonic boom...I told him it was much bigger. when I turned the TV on, i was stunned. I took my daughter to the babysitter down the street and called my biochem teacher and told her I couldn't make it. Went down there and it was chaos, I was hoping I could help, but there was nothing to do. My dad is OCPD and is on the bomb squad, and I saw him there with the truck...they had to go in to do a sweep of the building afterwards because there were rumors of another bomb. He helped clear the rubble for a few weeks afterward...My husband was in med school, so he went over to the hospital to the ER and they were ready for patients, but they didn't get anyone.

I have a PO box at the post office across the street from the memorial, so I look at it every day. It amazes me that there are people there all the time, always new things on the fence, and everyone is very respectful. it's very peaceful.

C&CDean
4/19/2011, 09:13 AM
I was flying from LAX to Newark that day. Not a cloud in the sky across the whole USA. I get to Newark, go to baggage claim, and all of a sudden a bunch of pissed off people show up going "they cancelled all the flights to Dallas, must be bad weather or something." I go "not a cloud in the sky, pretty weird."

I get my rental car, start to drive towards New Brunswick, and I'm looking across the river at the World Trade Center. My thought was "hey, I went up to the Top of the World Restaraunt the first week it was reopened after the bombing in the basement." I turn on the radio, and all I hear is "bombing at large federal facility in Oklahoma, hundreds dead." I go WTF?

When I got to my hotel I turned on the TV and saw it was the Murrah Building. I couldn't get through to anybody at home for several hours. It was pretty surreal.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/19/2011, 09:22 AM
I was a freshman at Eastern OKlahoma State College in Wilburton..I had just sat down with a Subway (BLT) to watch Sportscenter...They broke the news on ESPN and then I flipped over to the local channels..

Being 18, I can remember that is the 1st time that I had the feeling I need to go help and do something..But I didn't know what to do..But that event is what really caused me to get involved and to go help when tragedies happen...

BillyBall
4/19/2011, 09:53 AM

I was a freshman in high school at Heritage Hall and the entire upper school building swayed. I thought nothing of it until our headmaster came into classes to pull people out that had parents that worked downtown.

My dad worked at City Bank and to my knowledge he has only missed work twice due to being sick, that happened to be one of the days. The blast went the opposite direction of the City Place building but windows were still blown out. He would have been ok, but I still thank God he was sick...