PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon

SouthCarolinaSooner
4/18/2011, 05:00 PM
Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya 2:03:02 (about 4:43 per mile) smashing Haile Gebrselassie's world record by 55 seconds. Might not count as an official world record, since Boston is a point to point course with a net elevation drop, but the previous course record was only 2:05:52 set last year. Also big ups to Ryan Hall, when many people are saying his career is done, he pops a 2:04:57 for an American record. And last but not least, Desiree Davila hanging on in the womens race and just barely getting outkicked 2:22:36 to 2:22:38 by Caroline Kilel. Big day for US runners in Boston .

lexsooner
4/24/2011, 02:35 PM
Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya 2:03:02 (about 4:43 per mile) smashing Haile Gebrselassie's world record by 55 seconds. Might not count as an official world record, since Boston is a point to point course with a net elevation drop, but the previous course record was only 2:05:52 set last year. Also big ups to Ryan Hall, when many people are saying his career is done, he pops a 2:04:57 for an American record. And last but not least, Desiree Davila hanging on in the womens race and just barely getting outkicked 2:22:36 to 2:22:38 by Caroline Kilel. Big day for US runners in Boston .

Those times are absolutely sick! Can you imagine sprinting for over 26 miles at a sub five minute per mile pace? Yes, that is a sprinting pace. I can't even run just one mile in under six minutes. I did my first and last marathon in just over five hours, slow by any standards. All I can say is I did it and got my medal. Never again!

SouthCarolinaSooner
4/24/2011, 11:34 PM
Those times are absolutely sick! Can you imagine sprinting for over 26 miles at a sub five minute per mile pace? Yes, that is a sprinting pace. I can't even run just one mile in under six minutes. I did my first and last marathon in just over five hours, slow by any standards. All I can say is I did it and got my medal. Never again!
Speak for yourself :P

Just kiddin, what marathon did you do by the way?

lexsooner
4/25/2011, 07:04 AM
Speak for yourself :P

Just kiddin, what marathon did you do by the way?

The Derby Marathon in Louisville, KY. That was about five or six years ago. I don't run those kind of distances anymore. In fact, these days a three mile run is about all I do. I have done the Derby half several times, which was a lot of fun. It gets festive along the road as you start getting into downtown. The full marathon is not as fun. When you separate from the half-marathoners, the rest of the course is pretty deserted. When I finished, the stands were mostly empty. But, I did it. And when we walked into the restaurant area to get to the hotel, a bunch of half-marathoners who were eating lunch saw me and applauded. That was nice.