PDA

View Full Version : Best helmet design?

deweydw
4/18/2011, 11:53 AM
They sucked last season. But at least they have the best helmet design.

Yea, right.... :rolleyes:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1212307

At the College Football Roundtable each week, we ask each member of the college football coverage staff for his opinion about a topic in the sport. This weekend, we will have two roundtables, one Saturday and one today.

TODAY'S QUESTION: Arizona State is the latest school to change/update its logo and helmet design. That leads to this question: Which school has the best helmet design in college football?

Texas' clean, simple look is appealing to more than one of our experts.
Olin Buchanan's answer:
I'll get accused of making a homer pick because I'm a native Texan, but I'd pick Texas' classic white helmet with the immediately identifiable Longhorns logo as the best. I guess I'm partial to mascot logos because I always have liked Arkansas, Colorado, Florida State, USC and ... well, I did like Arizona State. I anticipate a lot of votes for Michigan's winged helmet, and it is a good look. In my opinion, Michigan and UCLA have the best overall uniforms, but just for the helmet, I think Texas is best.

Tom Dienhart's answer:
The simple look and design of Texas' helmet is best. The silhouette of a burnt orange Longhorn head on a clean white background is iconic. No stripes, no hokey stickers, no nothing. Just pure class.

David Fox's answer:
Take a look at The Helmet Project and count how many teams have changed helmet designs over the years. One of the few that has remained basically the same is Michigan. You know why? Because it's perfect. Fritz Crisler designed the helmet at Princeton and brought it to Ann Arbor. I realize Michigan's design isn't wholly original. Still, the maize-and-blue winged helmet is one of college football's iconic symbols. We take gaudy logos and helmets for granted at this point. For its day - think Notre Dame, Navy and Army helmets - it's a bold design and one that hasn't lost any luster over the years.

Mike Huguenin's answer:
I'm going off the board, so to speak, with my pick: Wyoming. A cowboy on a bucking horse, waving his cowboy hat, shown from the side. I think it's fantastic. And because it's a white helmet with a brown logo, it pops. I also really like Texas', UCLA's, Northern Illinois', SMU's, Iowa's and Michigan's, but Wyoming's is my favorite.

Steve Megargee's answer:
Michigan's winged helmet has absolutely nothing to do with its Wolverine nickname, but it remains one of the coolest images in college sports. The logo reportedly was designed in 1938 to make it easier for the Wolverines to identify their receivers downfield. I know some of my first college football memories involve noticing that logo during a Michigan-Ohio State game. Michigan might not have an "M" or a wolverine on its helmet, but just about any fan over the age of 5 has little trouble identifying the Michigan helmet. Heck, I have to believe generations of kids all over the country have grown up rooting for Michigan just because they loved that helmet.

85sooners
4/18/2011, 12:00 PM
:rolleyes:

Mazeppa
4/18/2011, 12:24 PM
That's just 5 guys opinions. This sixth opinion is that the best looking helmet resides at the University of Oklahoma.
No contest. "And that's the bottom line!"

SoonerLB
4/18/2011, 12:30 PM
That's just 5 guys opinions. This sixth opinion is that the best looking helmet resides at the University of Oklahoma.
No contest. "And that's the bottom line!"

I concur!

jumperstop
4/18/2011, 12:56 PM
Dumb...he doesn't want to be a homer, but made the most homer pick. I like classic looks like Texas and OU, but people always go ape **** crazy over how cool Texas' uniforms are.

I am with the Wyoming guy, at least he picked something different. I've always liked Wyoming's uniforms, brown is an underrated color in my opinion and it looks cool with the white and yellow accent.

oudavid1
4/18/2011, 01:01 PM
Our helmet is pretty cool.

But i think UCO's alternate is cooler.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ibgf9t.jpg

deweydw
4/18/2011, 01:09 PM
"For its day - think Notre Dame, Navy and Army helmets - it's a bold design and one that hasn't lost any luster over the years."

What about Penn State? Now that's bold.

oudavid1
4/18/2011, 01:18 PM
"For its day - think Notre Dame, Navy and Army helmets - it's a bold design and one that hasn't lost any luster over the years."

What about Penn State? Now that's bold.

Penn States whole uni is amazing. True greatness.

I heard Nike had a tussle with Joe Pa over just putting the Nike Logo on the Uni.

jumperstop
4/18/2011, 01:18 PM
Our helmet is pretty cool.

But i think UCO's alternate is cooler.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ibgf9t.jpg

Which assistant trainer put that ****ing sticker on all caddywhompus?

oudavid1
4/18/2011, 01:26 PM
Which assistant trainer put that ****ing sticker on all caddywhompus?

not me and wth is a caddywhatever

Sooner_Tuf
4/18/2011, 01:30 PM
not me and wth is a caddywhatever

Think of it this way, your brain is a good example of caddywhompus. :D

Soonermagik
4/18/2011, 02:14 PM
A steer on a helmet is cool?????????? Sorry guys, but that's ultra lame. I'll admit that OU's is kind of boring, but it does have tradition.

Honestly, I like USC's.. waiting on the negs.