PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones- HBO

Blue
4/18/2011, 01:29 AM
Anybody see this? I dvrd it. Should I read the book first?

GKeeper316
4/18/2011, 01:38 AM

the author said the show follows the books well enough.

i always recommend reading the books, tho.

it wasnt bad tho. looks to be a good show. hope it gets a decent following.

Okla-homey
4/18/2011, 06:06 AM
Watched it. Lots of doggie-style secks.

Lott's Bandana
4/18/2011, 08:39 AM
My brother loves this book. I tried to read it but it delves into so much Clancy-like minutia, I couldn't get through it. The show should be good though...but I like anything with swords in it.

Howzit
4/18/2011, 10:02 AM

The book?

THE BOOK?!?!?

This is an awesome series, and George RR Martin has been promising the latest installment for years now. It's finally coming out this summer, he probably postponed it once a deal was struck for A Game of Thrones to be on HBO.

Lott's Bandana
4/18/2011, 10:15 AM
Mention swords and in jumps Howzie.

SoCaliSooner
4/18/2011, 10:21 AM
Is this a movie marketed to dungeons and dragon playing teens who are now adults that may or may not still be living at home?

3rdgensooner
4/18/2011, 10:21 AM
Watched it. Lots of doggie-style secks.YEE HAW! Ima watch it now!

Romulus
4/18/2011, 10:27 AM
Dyner also likes playing with swords

NormanPride
4/18/2011, 10:50 AM
I read Game of Thrones. It was mediocre and plodding.

Howzit
4/18/2011, 11:04 AM
Nuh uh.

NormanPride
4/18/2011, 11:12 AM
Of course you loved it, Howzie. It described in great deal all the men that were in the story. How toned their butts were, how flowing their hair, how masculine their jaw...

SoonerAtKU
4/18/2011, 01:59 PM
I thought it was really well done. I'm almost through the third book myself, and I have no idea whether someone not acquainted with the books might enjoy it. I will say that I'm glad they kept in certain conversations that might have great importance years down the line.

Howzit
4/18/2011, 02:05 PM
Of course you loved it, Howzie. It described in great deal all the men that were in the story. How toned their butts were, how flowing their hair, how masculine their jaw...

You wrote that while dressed as a fireman. At least in my mind.

NormanPride
4/18/2011, 03:06 PM
You're just jealous I can pull off the hat.

crawfish
4/18/2011, 03:13 PM
I liked the first episode. In my usual prudish sense I'm a bit worried that HBO will go a little too far in terms of content, but so far so good. There are some minor changes but nothing that would sacrifice the overall plot yet.

I think the books are incredible, the best I've read. My biggest worry is that he'll die before finishing the last two (maybe as long as $$$ is coming in from the series he'll be motivated to write faster. :) )

crawfish
4/18/2011, 03:14 PM
You're just jealous I can pull off the hat.

Is that a euphemism?

Blue
4/18/2011, 06:03 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I'll def tune in.

Dwight
4/18/2011, 06:10 PM
The books are amazing, so the TV series will probably be epic.

Scott D
4/18/2011, 06:29 PM
Howzit is just waiting for someone to tell him that they'd have him **** an entire army of Dothraki if it meant getting their throne back.

Scott D
4/18/2011, 06:30 PM
Is this a movie marketed to dungeons and dragon playing teens who are now adults that may or may not still be living at home?

It's a "mini-series" based on a collection of novels for a series that is as of this point incomplete....so no, it's not a movie marketed to you.

SoCaliSooner
4/18/2011, 07:03 PM
It's a "mini-series" based on a collection of novels for a series that is as of this point incomplete....so no, it's not a movie marketed to you.

Can't say I've read it, want to see it...or seen any of the Harry Potter or Twilight garbage either.

Blue
4/18/2011, 08:28 PM
Can't say I've read it, want to see it...or seen any of the Harry Potter or Twilight garbage either.

I'd say its more of a Lord of the rings w/out the good vs evil bit. Just a bunch of dudes wanting to be kings. No homo Frodo. And it has bewbs....

SoCaliSooner
4/18/2011, 08:29 PM
I'd say its more of a Lord of the rings w/out the good vs evil bit. Just a bunch of dudes wanting to be kings. No homo Frodo.

Haven't seen that either...or any of the new Star Wars.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2011, 08:35 PM
Midgets? Check. Boobies? Check. Dog style? Check. Snow zombies? Check.

OUMallen
4/19/2011, 10:53 AM
I really enjoyed the first episode, and that's barely even the beginning of what all is going to happen.

Wishboned
4/19/2011, 11:02 AM
After the first episode they've already renewed it for a second season.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/04/19/game-of-throne-ratings-report/

I thought it was great. My fear is that HBO will catch up to what books are out before Martin finishes the series.

thecynic
4/19/2011, 11:40 AM
I like Sean Bean as an actor, but after watching the trailer on the web, I was kinda freaked out by the zombie people. How does that fit with the whole medieval king thingy going on?

OUMallen
4/19/2011, 11:47 AM
The wall is supposed to keep the zombie people out, and the northern people guard the wall. My guess is that the zombie people are a major problem while all the "normal" people are fighitng with each other in power struggles. The show alluded to a winter coming a few times.

sooner ngintunr
4/19/2011, 12:33 PM
This show is awesome.

soonerbldr
4/19/2011, 01:30 PM
Why is it everytime a fantasy/medieval series starts someone brings up the D&D... I played D&D for several years along with several friends... all but one of us have 6 figure salaries now while most of the people who made fun of us are still working at Wal Mart...

Anyway... the book series was great. It is based loosely on the War of the Roses, only with some fantasy elements thrown in. It it pretty convuluted and twisted, so it will be interesting to see how they do some of the more brutal elements in upcoming episodes (Mountain that Rides anyone)...

I am hoping that he does finish the series, thought the last book was not nearly as good as the first three. I just want to see him complete it and that is a big if since he looks like he is not that healthy...

But the first episode was good. I may try to go back and re-read the first book because it was really good... I just hope that the series follows suit.

JohnnyMack
4/19/2011, 02:01 PM
Why is it everytime a fantasy/medieval series starts someone brings up the D&D... I played D&D for several years along with several friends... all but one of us have 6 figure salaries now while most of the people who made fun of us are still working at Wal Mart...

Anyway... the book series was great. It is based loosely on the War of the Roses, only with some fantasy elements thrown in. It it pretty convuluted and twisted, so it will be interesting to see how they do some of the more brutal elements in upcoming episodes (Mountain that Rides anyone)...

I am hoping that he does finish the series, thought the last book was not nearly as good as the first three. I just want to see him complete it and that is a big if since he looks like he is not that healthy...

But the first episode was good. I may try to go back and re-read the first book because it was really good... I just hope that the series follows suit.

Best. First. Post. Evar?

Taxman71
4/20/2011, 10:25 AM

aBh6jmQESwQ&feature

OUMallen
4/24/2011, 09:28 PM
Tonight's episode was really good again. The Lannister queen lady is COOOOLD. She's a good actress.

caseysooner
4/24/2011, 09:46 PM
Game of Thrones gets it. Tonight's episode was A+

Blue
4/25/2011, 02:23 AM
Good good show.

Okla-homey
4/25/2011, 05:49 AM
Tonight's episode was really good again. The Lannister queen lady is COOOOLD. She's a good actress.

and more doggie-style secks!

hellogoodbye
4/25/2011, 08:14 AM
i remember giving the first book a try and found it a little too much of the political hackery for my taste. but yea after this second episode i may give it another try (author accountant ftw!)

GDC
4/25/2011, 12:54 PM
I was seeing some girl on girl action when my cable blew out.:mad:

JohnnyMack
4/25/2011, 01:29 PM
I was seeing some girl on girl action when my load blew out.:O

FTFY

OUMallen
4/25/2011, 01:56 PM
I was seeing some girl on girl action when my cable blew out.:mad:

It never quite got there. :mad:

Blue
4/25/2011, 04:12 PM
Those two chicks were smokin too. Who are they?

OUMallen
4/25/2011, 04:35 PM
Emilia Clarke is one of them.

Wishboned
4/27/2011, 11:08 PM
It's official.

Martin has finished A Dance With Dragons.

http://www.ology.com/technology/its-official-george-rr-martin-has-finished-dance-dragons

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

OUMallen
5/2/2011, 10:34 AM
Not a ton of action last night, but felt like a set-up episode. Still great production, acting, etc.

Okla-homey
5/2/2011, 12:25 PM
Not a ton of action last night, but felt like a set-up episode. Still great production, acting, etc.

At least the Klingon King is happy. His little blonde wife is preggers. And things aren't going too well for her wannabe-king brother.

So, what's with the coming Ice Age? Are there a race of yeti's that will have to be killed?

OUMallen
5/2/2011, 01:25 PM
I think the idea is that their seasons last a really long time. During the winter, bad guys called whitewalkers come, and they're supernatural to some degree. But the summer lasted so long that people kind of forget the threat and take the coming winter too lightly.

And yeah, albino twin older brother better watch himself. He's not ranking too high now.

mgsooner
5/2/2011, 01:27 PM
This show loves T&A

OUMallen
5/2/2011, 01:31 PM
This show loves T&A

:D

mgsooner
5/2/2011, 01:32 PM
Anybody been watching the Borgias on Showtime? Another show that loves T&A, although I think Game of Thrones loves it more

Lott's Bandana
5/2/2011, 04:59 PM
The new HBO iPad app looks FTW.

Lott's Bandana
5/2/2011, 07:52 PM
Anybody been watching the Borgias on Showtime? Another show that loves T&A, although I think Game of Thrones loves it more

Watching Ep.1 of Camelot on Starz.

Looks promising.

Wishboned
5/2/2011, 08:24 PM
Watching Ep.1 of Camelot on Starz.

Looks promising.

It's not bad. There have been a few things that I haven't liked about it, but there has been enough that I have liked to keep me watching.

GDC
5/2/2011, 08:38 PM
9dRi67PUSlA

GDC
5/4/2011, 10:38 AM
XzwOaJrE_lA

Lott's Bandana
5/4/2011, 11:55 AM
It's not bad. There have been a few things that I haven't liked about it, but there has been enough that I have liked to keep me watching.

Seen three now. Slow at times. Morgan has talents.

OUMallen
5/9/2011, 03:28 PM
Last night seemed a little slow, but the end was awesome! I can't decide whether I like or hate Tyrion Lannister or Littlefinger.

Fraggle145
5/9/2011, 03:41 PM
Needed more bewbs. I think they went out of their way to hide that whores tittays... I mean WTF?

OUMallen
5/9/2011, 04:32 PM
They were just smaller than what's been offered so far. :)

GDC
5/9/2011, 04:35 PM
Needed more bewbs. I think they went out of their way to hide that whores tittays... I mean WTF?

Exactly, I am losing interest fast.

Blue
5/9/2011, 05:28 PM
Last night seemed a little slow, but the end was awesome! I can't decide whether I like or hate Tyrion Lannister or Littlefinger.

I can't decide if the dwarf playing Tyrion is a great actor or is severely overacting. I think i like him though.

Next week looks interesting.

GDC
5/9/2011, 08:27 PM
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/n/nelson/album-20th-century-masters-the-millennium-collection-the-best-of-nelson.jpg

http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2011/04/House-Targaryen-490x274.jpg

Blue
5/9/2011, 08:33 PM
I can't live without your love and emotion! Ha.

crawfish
5/10/2011, 10:56 AM
I can't decide if the dwarf playing Tyrion is a great actor or is severely overacting. I think i like him though.

Next week looks interesting.

Next three episodes should be pretty shocking, if I have my episode/book timing down right.

SoonerAtKU
5/10/2011, 01:07 PM
If it's any consolation, Blue, the CHARACTER of Tyrion is kind of an overactor at this point in the story. All the money in the world, with the most powerful father, brother, and sister, but with none of the respect that might confer to someone else. He's cynical and intelligent and rather enjoys being smarter than most people. As you'll see, though, everyone changes...

GDC
5/15/2011, 09:29 PM
Tonight's episode was good, if you discount the gay parts.

Wishboned
5/15/2011, 09:35 PM

Tyrion is one of my favorite characters in the books.

Fraggle145
5/15/2011, 10:05 PM
Tonight's episode was good, if you discount the gay parts.

The 8 year old sucking on bewbage was kinda ****ed up too.

GDC
5/16/2011, 01:20 PM
The 8 year old sucking on bewbage was kinda ****ed up too.

Majorly so, and neither scene needed the slurping sound effects.

BillyBall
5/16/2011, 01:47 PM
It's like Dungeons and Dragons with a lot of doggy style.

Fraggle145
5/16/2011, 02:30 PM
Majorly so, and neither scene needed the slurping sound effects.

I hope the Mountain does to Sir Chokesondick what he did to his horse. Now that was pretty bad ***.

GKeeper316
5/16/2011, 02:32 PM
It's like Dungeons and Dragons with a lot of doggy style.

not even close.

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 07:31 AM
"A crown for a King"

This show is getting crazy.

OUMallen
5/27/2011, 08:56 AM
I decided that Tyrian is one of my favorite characters, and I hate the Lannisters already. Been enjoying the series so much that I ordered the first book.

The Mountain seems like a wildcard risk out there. A big liability for any house to think they can count on or control him.

SoonerAtKU
5/27/2011, 10:01 AM
I'm sure I speak for those of us who have read the books when I say that our favorite part of this whole thing is getting to vicariously live through these revelations again through all of you.

Caboose
5/27/2011, 10:05 AM
I'm sure I speak for those of us who have read the books when I say that our favorite part of this whole thing is getting to vicariously live through these revelations again through all of you.

This. I am going to be majorly pissed if that old coot author dies before he finishes the series. Been waiting on book 5 forever. Only one more month (supposedly).

OUMallen
5/27/2011, 10:11 AM

I get the impression things are baout to get crazy. I accidentally spoiled myself a little on wiki when the series began trying to figure out who everyone is. But now I know a couple big things that are imminent and I'm waiting on the shoe to drop.

SoonerAtKU
5/27/2011, 10:23 AM
If you just spoiled yourself on a major plot point or two, you'll still enjoy seeing the details and machinations of how it works itself out. A guy at work here read the wiki for the first book and still came to me incredulous about some of the stuff he read.

OUMallen
5/30/2011, 02:07 PM
Last night was awesome.

crawfish
5/30/2011, 04:29 PM
I get the impression things are baout to get crazy. I accidentally spoiled myself a little on wiki when the series began trying to figure out who everyone is. But now I know a couple big things that are imminent and I'm waiting on the shoe to drop.

Season 2 (A Clash of Kings) is crazy.
Season 3 (A Storm of Swords) is INSANE.

OUMallen
5/31/2011, 09:27 AM

I'm stoked. Even my fiance' is into it now. :D

GDC
6/6/2011, 04:54 PM
This show is really, really good.

One thing I don't get is how they can field armies of tens of thousands seemingly overnight?

Blue
6/6/2011, 05:16 PM
This show is really, really good.

One thing I don't get is how they can field armies of tens of thousands seemingly overnight?

I think a couple weeks or months passed inbetween episodes.

I could have done without seeing longdong fatty last night. Not sure what the point of that was.

Wishboned
6/6/2011, 05:40 PM

I'm just about to finish up A Storm of Swords. There's one incident that made me almost stop reading it made me so mad. Nothing in this series really does anything you expect it to.

I'm thinking that those of you who haven't read the books but have been watching the series will be saying, "Oh ****! I didn't expect that." after next week's episode. That is if I'm right in my show to book timeline guess.

And I really hope the last scene this season is the same as the last scene in the book.

Blue
6/6/2011, 05:43 PM
can we just leave it at "we're going to be saying Oh **** alot?"

No spoilin! ;)

Wishboned
6/6/2011, 05:49 PM
can we just leave it at "we're going to be saying Oh **** alot?"

No spoilin! ;)

No spoilers! I want all of you to have those "Oh ****!" moments.

thecynic
6/6/2011, 09:17 PM
because of the trailer on the innernet and because of the first episode on HBO, I decided to read the books first. I'm halfway through book three. The first episode that I saw was so good I just had to read it first. I get a much better experience from reading. Maybe it's my age. anyway, I'll watch them after I'm done reading.

Wishboned
6/6/2011, 09:27 PM
because of the trailer on the innernet and because of the first episode on HBO, I decided to read the books first. I'm halfway through book three. The first episode that I saw was so good I just had to read it first. I get a much better experience from reading. Maybe it's my age. anyway, I'll watch them after I'm done reading.

I think you'll be pleased with the first season. I read the first book before I watched any of the episodes.

GKeeper316
6/7/2011, 01:22 AM
as much as midgets freak me the **** out, i gotta say... tyrion lannister is a great character.

"and just remember, should the day ever come when you decide to sell me out... whatever they're paying you, i'll beat it. i like living"

GDC
6/12/2011, 10:08 PM
I currently do not have access to television. How was tonight's episode?

OUMallen
6/12/2011, 10:10 PM
It was awesome. Holy hell. The final scene was as beautifully shot and done as it was surprising.

GKeeper316
6/12/2011, 10:40 PM
I currently do not have access to television. How was tonight's episode?

****ing epic

mgsooner
6/12/2011, 10:59 PM
WHAT. THE. F*CK.

Wishboned
6/12/2011, 11:02 PM
The books and the series follow no formulaic storyline. Nothing happens the way you think it will.

mgsooner
6/12/2011, 11:04 PM
This is bloody insanity

Blue
6/12/2011, 11:05 PM
Very shocked, but even more hooked.

mgsooner
6/12/2011, 11:20 PM
I find myself almost rooting for the Dothraki to come and f*ck sh*t up at this point. Anyone else?

GDC
6/12/2011, 11:23 PM
http://ewtvrecaps.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tyrion_250_1303738859.gif

SicEmBaylor
6/13/2011, 01:51 AM
This show is absolutely full of win.

One complaint about tonight's episode was that they didn't actually show any fighting between that feint detachment of 2000 Stark troops against the Lanister's.

The end was epic though. Absolutely epic and perfectly done. Amazing.

There better be a major epic *** battle scene at some point soon though because this entire season has been all about building tension and expectations. Something needs to come to a head.

OUMallen
6/13/2011, 09:42 AM
I am super stoked to find out what will happen with Rob's army now. The directives have changed.

Good gawd, Tyrion Lannister is the best character ever.

GKeeper316
6/13/2011, 09:56 AM
The books and the series follow no formulaic storyline. Nothing happens the way you think it will.

seems like martin has written the series to imitate life, and life doesn't happen in 3 acts. its refreshing to watch something that deviates so much from the standard formula of drama.

Pardner
6/13/2011, 11:33 AM
So I'm guessing from the way you guys are talking that the end of last night's episode wasn't a dream like I was thinking it was? Every time I'm sure that there is someone they're not going to kill off they kill him off in the next episode.

And yeah, the litle Lannister is awesome!

crawfish
6/13/2011, 11:40 AM
Let me put it this way: the new "when pigs fly" is now "when Sean Bean lives through a medieval-themed show".

Wishboned
6/13/2011, 11:48 AM

One complaint about tonight's episode was that they didn't actually show any fighting between that feint detachment of 2000 Stark troops against the Lanister's.

There better be a major epic *** battle scene at some point soon though because this entire season has been all about building tension and expectations. Something needs to come to a head.

One thing that disappointed me in last night's episode was that in the book Tyrion actually fought in the battle. He didn't get knocked out on the way.

Taxman71
6/14/2011, 12:24 PM
Ned Stark laughs at a stabbing and orders another round:

http://www.reddit.com/tb/hzgjd

soonerbrat
6/14/2011, 12:52 PM
ergh...still no directv or innerwebs at my new apartment...i missed sunday's episode. If directv doesn't get worked out today, I will have to find a place with free wifi and watch it online.

GDC
6/19/2011, 09:32 PM
I guess I'll start reading the books to get me through to the next season.

Blue
6/19/2011, 11:02 PM
What the hell was that?

I just wonder if reading the books will ruin the show?

Blue
6/19/2011, 11:20 PM
And don't be effin with those wolves. Ned killed one he died and her owner went to ****.

I imagine those dragons aren't going to be anything nice when dey grows up.

now they just need to stumble upon a pride of baby lions and some badass superdeer. Fair is fair.

SoonerofAlabama
6/19/2011, 11:39 PM
And don't be effin with those wolves. Ned killed one he died and her owner went to ****.

I imagine those dragons aren't going to be anything nice when dey grows up.

now they just need to stumble upon a pride of baby lions and some badass superdeer. Fair is fair.

I don't watch this show. Is that supposed to make sense?

Blue
6/19/2011, 11:41 PM
I don't watch this show. Is that supposed to make sense?

Heh. Somewhat.

SoonerofAlabama
6/19/2011, 11:44 PM
Heh. Somewhat.

I'll take it. :D

soonerbrat
6/20/2011, 11:54 AM
i think the little girl's wolf that got away will reappear sometime to protect her. i missed last night though...still no tv or internet at my house.

JohnnyMack
6/20/2011, 12:08 PM
i think the little girl's wolf that got away will reappear sometime to protect her. i missed last night though...still no tv or internet at my house.

Sincerely,

Laura Ingalls Wilder

thecynic
6/20/2011, 12:42 PM
Here's a question for those that have read the books, does book four start heading towards any sort of conclusion? I'm halfway through book three and have read some negative things about this wrapping up. I for one could read 20 books by this guy about this story, but one of the criticisms was that he is great at the twist and turns and shocking plot twists, but doesn't have any idea how this story is going to end. I guess book five has been put on hold for a few years and maybe is now slated to come out, but with no resolution. just wanted some input.

JohnnyMack
6/20/2011, 12:53 PM
Here's a question for those that have read the books, does book four start heading towards any sort of conclusion? I'm halfway through book three and have read some negative things about this wrapping up. I for one could read 20 books by this guy about this story, but one of the criticisms was that he is great at the twist and turns and shocking plot twists, but doesn't have any idea how this story is going to end. I guess book five has been put on hold for a few years and maybe is now slated to come out, but with no resolution. just wanted some input.

Spoiler-free responses welcome. :D

Wishboned
6/20/2011, 01:24 PM

I'm only up to book 3.

SoonerAtKU
6/20/2011, 01:25 PM
Book 4 is something of a lull, or the eye of a storm. There is quite a lot of maneuvering or preparation, and lots of the favorite characters are missing due to some author choices. We (fans of the books) are fully expecting book 5 to be the return to action and movement that we expect from the series.

There are 7 books planned, so that should give you some idea of where we are and where we are going. PM me if you want more details, or any spoilery stuff.

thecynic
6/20/2011, 01:57 PM
Book 4 is something of a lull, or the eye of a storm. There is quite a lot of maneuvering or preparation, and lots of the favorite characters are missing due to some author choices. We (fans of the books) are fully expecting book 5 to be the return to action and movement that we expect from the series.

There are 7 books planned, so that should give you some idea of where we are and where we are going. PM me if you want more details, or any spoilery stuff.

OK, no spoilerage stuff needed, but just in case, I'll pm for the rest.

Taxman71
6/21/2011, 02:16 PM
Hopefully, the ending will be better than Lost.

crawfish
6/21/2011, 05:53 PM

I think the story he's written has gotten so complicated, with so many characters, that he's had trouble keeping all the pieces in sync. The hope would be that as the series wound down (and with two books left, that should start) the threads and characters would start to come together again.

Not sure how realistic that is, but it is the hope. I heard he also got pretty burned out on the whole thing and stopped to work on side projects.

crawfish
6/21/2011, 05:56 PM
Hopefully, the ending will be better than Lost.

THAT GOOD?!?!?!?

:D

GKeeper316
6/21/2011, 05:58 PM
its soap opera writing. there is no story resolution. its written like a real time chronicle told from the POV of some of the involved characters.

soonerbrat
6/22/2011, 01:29 PM
This is bloody insanity

pun intended? either of you?

soonerbrat
6/22/2011, 01:32 PM
Ok, so last night I was re-watching some episodes with the special features on hbogo..and it made me wonder if maybe Jon Snow is Robert's son? and his evil wife queen? she said she lost a beautiful black-haired boy...maybe she wanted it killed but Ned saved him and brought him home? I had forgotten about that...but when Ned was reading the family history and all of Robert's children were "black of hair" it kinda made me think that.

SoonerofAlabama
6/22/2011, 01:34 PM
I might have watched this show, but I feel if I started now I would be more confused than when I read what these comments say.

soonerbrat
6/22/2011, 01:37 PM
no you wouldn't. you'd love it. it's awesome.

JohnnyMack
6/22/2011, 02:04 PM
Ok, so last night I was re-watching some episodes with the special features on hbogo..and it made me wonder if maybe Jon Snow is Robert's son? and his evil wife queen? she said she lost a beautiful black-haired boy...maybe she wanted it killed but Ned saved him and brought him home? I had forgotten about that...but when Ned was reading the family history and all of Robert's children were "black of hair" it kinda made me think that.

I thought Robert's bastard son was the apprentice blacksmith who at the end is heading for the wall?

DIB
6/22/2011, 03:05 PM
I thought Robert's bastard son was the apprentice blacksmith who at the end is heading for the wall?

I believe you are correct. At least that is what the first season implied.

soonerbrat
6/22/2011, 03:18 PM
I believe you are correct. At least that is what the first season implied.

but that doesn't mean there aren't more.

OUMallen
6/22/2011, 03:21 PM

You didn't need to blank that out. We are totally to believe, at the moment, that the apprentice blacksmith is Robert's bastard.

We are totally led to know something about Jon Snow's parentage isn't quite right.

(Haven't read the books, just saying what we've been told.)

DIB
6/22/2011, 03:23 PM
but that doesn't mean there aren't more.

That's true. It could be that one is a bastard son and the other is a legitimate heir.

Scott D
6/22/2011, 07:12 PM

she um...had a medieval abortion....it was heavily implied in the novel.

Taxman71
6/23/2011, 10:55 AM
Ned's wife made the statement to Ned "you returned from the North with some other woman's child". All we know about Jon Snow is he isn't from their marriage and the Ned has raised him. Could easily belong to Robert (from someone who hasn't read the books).

SoonerAtKU
6/23/2011, 11:20 AM
Don't forget that Robert was pre-engaged to Lyanna, Ned's sister. Her being abducted by the Targaryen prince was sort of the tipping point for the whole rebellion.

Ned's father and brother demanded her return, after which Aerys the Mad burned/strangled them in the throne room. He then demanded that Jon Arryn send Ned to be killed as well, which led to Robert, Ned, and Jon starting the rebellion.

This is from the books, but it's all information present in the show this season.

soonerbrat
6/23/2011, 12:33 PM

ok, well I haven't read the novel. I was just going off of information from the show.

crawfish
6/23/2011, 12:42 PM

Also, it is mentioned multiple times that Jon favors Ned quite a bit - more than his legal children.

Scott D
6/23/2011, 02:13 PM
Also, it is mentioned multiple times that Jon favors Ned quite a bit - more than his legal children.

This....out of the Stark children, Jon most favors Ned, Arya would be next to favoring the Stark appearance, and the other four favor the Tully appearance.

Scott D
6/23/2011, 02:15 PM
Ned's wife made the statement to Ned "you returned from the North with some other woman's child". All we know about Jon Snow is he isn't from their marriage and the Ned has raised him. Could easily belong to Robert (from someone who hasn't read the books).

If the show follows the path of the books written, you'll learn a lot about the Baratheons and Robert's bastard children.

SoonerAtKU
6/23/2011, 03:57 PM
Robert was...prolific...and indiscriminate.

soonerbrat
6/23/2011, 05:14 PM
well...i need something to do....barnes & noble is nice and cool and stays open late

achiro
6/23/2011, 05:24 PM
Are the books as sexually graphic as the show or is that added by HBO?

Scott D
6/23/2011, 05:29 PM
the show has added some creative license, but yes there are graphic descriptions with some of the scenes.

Blue
6/23/2011, 07:10 PM
Just started Book 1 today. Lookin forward to catching up to the show.

SoonerofAlabama
6/23/2011, 07:21 PM
Just started Book 1 today. Lookin forward to catching up to the show.

Enjoy your book. From the sound of it, this show is really good. Usually the books are better.

caseysooner
6/24/2011, 06:58 AM
The show is definitely better than the book.

Caboose
6/24/2011, 07:41 AM

Disagree completely. You get much more of the back stories behind the characters, places, and families as well as an understanding of the history of Westeros from the books.

OUMallen
6/24/2011, 08:45 AM

I also disagree. The show is VERY high quality and terrific, IMO, but the books just fill everything out a little more.

SoonerAtKU
6/24/2011, 08:47 AM
They're just different experiences. There are things you can do and hide within a book, like the identity of a character when seen by someone who shouldn't know who they are. That doesn't play on TV, since you can actually see who it is they're discussing. Same with Loras and Renly. That's a much more subtle thing in the books, but one coy glance and a shaving scene tells you all you need to know in the TV show.

SoonerAtKU
6/24/2011, 08:48 AM
I will also add that the scenes that were written explicitly for the show have, almost without exception, been great. The only way you'd know that they weren't in the books is if you'd read them and noticed that none of the POV characters are in them.

SoonerAtKU
7/8/2011, 11:02 AM
Next Tuesday cannot get here fast enough, but I'm going to be overseas all next week! The book is just going to be sitting at home on my nightstand waiting for me...taunting.

Bottom line is that I don't get to start reading until next Saturday, and that bums me out.

OUMallen
7/8/2011, 12:04 PM
Next Tuesday cannot get here fast enough, but I'm going to be overseas all next week! The book is just going to be sitting at home on my nightstand waiting for me...taunting.

Bottom line is that I don't get to start reading until next Saturday, and that bums me out.

I just got Book 2 in yesterday. I read the first one, and now a girl I went to HS with just published her book so I am reading it, then on to book 2!!!!!!!!

GDC
11/15/2011, 11:55 AM
Season 2 starts in April.

Blue
11/15/2011, 05:36 PM
Read all the books. Is there anything half as awesome as those that I can read now?

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 05:41 PM
Didn't read a single post in this thread because I want to read all the books out there before seeing the series. I don't want the actors to be in my head while I'm reading like when I read Harry Potter. Good so far, halfway through A Clash of Kings...

GDC
11/15/2011, 08:33 PM
Read all the books. Is there anything half as awesome as those that I can read now?

The Dunk and Egg stories...

GottaHavePride
11/15/2011, 08:47 PM

Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" (10 gigantic-*** books)

Glen Cook's Annals of the Black Company

Don't forget that Robert was pre-engaged to Lyanna, Ned's sister. Her being abducted by the Targaryen prince was sort of the tipping point for the whole rebellion.

A friend of mine is convinced she wasn't "abducted" by the Targaryen prince. They had a kid. It was Jon Snow.

Scott D
11/15/2011, 08:51 PM
Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" (10 gigantic-*** books)

Glen Cook's Annals of the Black Company

A friend of mine is convinced she wasn't "abducted" by the Targaryen prince. They had a kid. It was Jon Snow.

your friend will be confused soon.

Blue
11/15/2011, 09:50 PM
Not sure I buy Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon either.

GottaHavePride
11/16/2011, 12:07 AM
Heh. He's read all the way through Dance with Dragons and that's his theory. (I haven't made it to the end yet.)

Chuck Bao
11/16/2011, 02:16 AM
After reading about 5,000 pages in the 5 books written so far, I'm not sure and I don't like that.

Dwight
11/16/2011, 01:19 PM
Incorrect. The books are so much better than the show.

Blue
12/29/2011, 07:11 PM
I just nerded out out Barnes and Nobles and bought a bunch of books recommended by this and the George Martin thread. I got the dragonlance trilogy, The Kingkiller chronicles, Black Company, Book 1 of that Mazatlan Book of the Fallen, and the freakin Hobbit. What to read first?

Chuck Bao
12/31/2011, 04:52 AM
Incorrect. The books are so much better than the show.

Probably so. I know that the Game of Thrones involves a lot of would-be kings and queens. But, I never read this in the books.

NSFW warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngOcAp3XKIU

Blue
12/31/2011, 04:54 AM
The renly/Loras thing was mentioned about 3 or 4 times in the books. Its really about a non issue compared to the story.

Chuck Bao
12/31/2011, 08:43 AM
The renly/Loras thing was mentioned about 3 or 4 times in the books. Its really about a non issue compared to the story.

Strange, I never picked up on that. But, I understand that the build-up of Renly's ego and ambition could be an issue later in the series.

GDC
3/30/2013, 09:28 PM
I guess they're splitting the third book into two seasons.

StoopTroup
3/31/2013, 11:30 PM
Tell me more of these things you call "books".

:wink:

hawaii 5-0
4/1/2013, 06:13 PM
I didn't read the books tho a friend said they were very good.

I'd downloaded the first two seasons but hadn't watched them.

HBO was free preview this weekend so I started watching from Season 1, Episode 1

Got thru 16 of the 20 episodes before I got cut off.

I've enjoyed what I've see, but maybe a little too much groups of people going from one place to another while talking.

Shocked and outraged by some of the turns. Love the Shortstack.

5-0

Blue
4/1/2013, 07:33 PM
Books are the way to go here. GR Martin is a genius.