PDA

View Full Version : Planted a garden in the back yard

proud gonzo
4/16/2011, 10:16 PM
Since the last yard project fiasco (in which the allergy twins attempted gardening and failed--not my fault) the yard has lain untended and unkempt.

Now we've initiated Yard Project 2: Electric Boogaloo. We cleared off an area under our Mulberry tree and planted a crapload of shade-loving wildflower seeds. We built two raised beds and have planted tomatoes, peppers (4 kinds), corn, carrots, radishes, onions, beans, arugala, lettuce, cilantro, basil, parsley, chives, thyme, oregano, and rosemary.

Opera Man also brought a trunkload of rocks down from his family's ranch in Kansas and built himself a nice fire pit (which he hasn't been able to use yet, due to the damn burn ban).

So we'll see how this all goes...

Tulsa_Fireman
4/16/2011, 10:47 PM
Just a heads up on your corn, PG. If you don't plant matching rows, it won't pollinate and won't make.

I learned that the hard way so hopefully it helps!

JohnnyMack
4/16/2011, 10:55 PM
Where da dope at?

hawaii 5-0
4/16/2011, 11:15 PM
I hope you put the tomatoes and corn in the sun.

5-0

Trump/ Mr. Green Jeans 2012

Soonerus
4/16/2011, 11:53 PM
Good for you....

AlbqSooner
4/17/2011, 05:13 AM
Plant some garlic. It is nature's insect repellant. Seriously, the insects and worms tend to stay out of a garden with garlic plants spread about.

olevetonahill
4/17/2011, 06:34 AM
Last 3 years Ive just planted some Maters upside down in 5 gal buckets and had em hangin on the South side of the shack.Id toss a few Cucumber seeds in the top of a couple and that was my Garden . This soil here on the Hill is way to rocky and Mostly just clay as all the top soil has washed down the hill.

The buckets were gettin old and brittle so I changed to a new way this year. Got more room and am growing a lot more. So far its working out pretty good

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7342/1000778sm.jpg

olevetonahill
4/17/2011, 06:37 AM
Albq. I like Garlic Ill plant a few

Oh and those 2 tires I filled with Soil and planted me some Cucumbers in 1 and cantaloupe in the other:cool:

OUHOMER
4/17/2011, 08:29 AM
got one started, but need to finish, potatoes are already going crazy, Onions didn't fair as well, i planted before the last frost and not many survided.

hopefully have every thing in by next weekend

pphilfran
4/17/2011, 08:36 AM
An aggie friend of mine started a chicken farm...

He planted them feet first and they died..

He planted them head first and they died...

He was at the end of his rope so he wrote OSU ag and explained his problem...

OSU's reply...

"Send soil sample."

SanJoaquinSooner
4/17/2011, 08:36 AM
Might as well add some chile serranos and jalapenos.

We've had good luck with Kale - nice large leaves that can be sauteed with onion for a great side dish.

olevetonahill
4/17/2011, 08:56 AM
I got the jalapenos , Also some onions and radishes , Some collard greens an Turnups, and a few Okra

SanJoaquinSooner
4/17/2011, 09:07 AM
I got the jalapenos , Also some onions and radishes , Some collard greens an Turnups, and a few Okra

Okra is the one fruit/vegetable that I miss here in California. The stores will carry it seasonally, but it's usually too tough.

What do you do with turnips? I only way I've cared for them is raw slices dipped into hummus.

olevetonahill
4/17/2011, 09:12 AM
Just eat the greens is all. I just planted em cause i had a little room and My Momma always did em .;)

olevetonahill
4/17/2011, 09:13 AM
Oh an jaun . Ya can plant 3 or 4 Okra seeds and they will produce all the Okra ya need right up till the 1st frost;)
And they dont take up much room

hawaii 5-0
4/17/2011, 11:24 AM
Sweet thread.

I miss gardening in Okieville.

My ground is terrible here. Ya can't eat a Bird of Paradise or Traveler's Palm. The Samoans get the coconuts.

5-0

Trump/Rodale 2012

proud gonzo
4/17/2011, 02:10 PM
Might as well add some chile serranos and jalapenos.

yep--i've got bell, jalapeno, cayenne, and banana peppers.

I hope you put the tomatoes and corn in the sun.

I put them under a tarp--is that bad?

Plant some garlic. It is nature's insect repellant. Seriously, the insects and worms tend to stay out of a garden with garlic plants spread about.
ah yes--i forgot to list the garlic. definitely planted garlic.

badger
4/17/2011, 02:34 PM
Tomatoes need tons of sun.

proud gonzo
4/17/2011, 03:29 PM
No they don't--I planted aphotic cave tomatoes.

OutlandTrophy
4/17/2011, 04:24 PM
tarp tomatoes are the best!